Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Pandemic Survival Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

The Pandemic Preparedness Guide book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwrote1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pandemic Preparedness Guide book
    Posted: December 31 2016 at 7:14pm
If any of you have read The Pandemic Preparedness Guide book, would you consider leaving a review of it on Amazon.com (or whatever book site or book store you purchased it from)? While the book has had great reviews, some reviews lower than 5 were upset with amazon or their kindle. Thank you. Listed below are some of the comments left for it.

Also, if you've read the book, I'd be interested in hearing your comments or answering any questions you may have about it.

KMc

https://www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Preparedness-Guide-Kenneth-McClelland/dp/1628681195/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472045771&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pandemic+preparedness+guide

As a professor at medical school, and author of three prepper medical books, I found the medical information presented in this work to be remarkably accurate. That's quite a feat for someone who hasn't been indoctrinated into the rigid confines of medicine. But that shouldn't have surprised me, because the author writes very, very well.

Much of his book addresses the potential consequences of global diseases, and how one might reconcile difficult choices that must be made during disasters... from a Christian point of view. Another large portion deals with a subject on many people's minds these days. Namely, what does it mean to be a Patriot in America today, when the people of this great nation no longer trust their government, and find conspiracy in every direction they look. And that's why I really enjoyed this book. Maybe I didn't agree with everything, but I certainly respected his well written arguments and points of view.
All-in-all... WELL DONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars

fairly easy to read and although I am not completely finished reading it fits with the stuff I learned in nursing school many years ago

This book has a lot of great advice for dealing with the next pandemic. Also, it's easy to understand - you don't have to be an epidemiologist.

5.0 out of 5 stars - Very in-depth look at the history of pandemics

I'm not even half way through and I already feel way more informed about pandemics. The media is full of half -truths and hysteria. Research yourself, read, get informed and get prepared.

5.0 out of 5 stars

Great book. Lots of useful details without the scary things you are normally fed up out there

The Pandemic Preparedness Guide
Ken McClelland View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McClelland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 7:58pm
With so many warnings coming out about a looming pandemic due to the H7N9 bird flu virus, let me encourage you to purchase any masks that you may want now, in advance. Here's some of what I wrote in chapter 23 of The Pandemic Preparedness Guide, about N95 rated face masks. I did not go into specifics about the many types of face masks with replaceable cartridges because there are too many varieties to address. However, if you acquire some of these, be sure that you purchase an ample supply or additional cartridges...

(From Chapter 23)
"...If you wait until you hear on the news that an Ebola or influenza pandemic has already begun and tens of thousands of people are dying from it, masks will quickly become ‘as scarce as hen’s teeth’ (pun intended). So if you think you’ll be needing or wanting them for your supplies, the time to buy suitable masks, meaning those approved by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and most other health agencies, including the World Health Organization, is as soon as you read this if you have not already secured any. I believe there will be a limited availability of them at that point, and no doubt the costs will be deeply inflated, if and when you do actually find them. Remember that once it begins, governments, businesses, and individuals living in or near the country where it first began, will be busy securing mass quantities of them off of the open market. Many families will be forced to settle for masks that do not meet the minimum standards required for the Bird Flu virus in an effort to feel protected.

At this time the CDC recommends, as the minimum requirement for masks sufficient enough to reduce your risk of contracting the influenza virus, as being those with a National Institute Of Safety and Health (NIOSH) rating of N-95 or better (European - CE certified EN143P2, EN149FFP2, EN149FFP3, or higher level protection). The “N” stands for Not Oil Proof, while the “95” rating represents that it is 95 percent efficient against solid and liquid particles larger than .03 microns. You can purchase face masks with up to an N-100 rating, which are surely better, but expect to open your wallet wide as you weep into it when you see the price.

Dust masks like those worn by professionals such as auto-body shop workers or lawn care workers are not sufficient enough to protect you from something as small as the influenza virus – so do not be fooled by scam artists who will be offering them. The correct masks will have ‘N-95’ stamped on the mask somewhere if they truly are N-95 rated.

NOTE: The closer we get to an Ebola or flu pandemic, the more likely it is that we’ll discover counterfeit masks being sold to unsuspecting future victims. It seems that everything that holds the potential to make money is being copied or counterfeited, and as we’ve seen coming out of China, even Tamiflu and medicines such as is needed for malaria, have been counterfeited, and poorly so, resulting in many unnecessary deaths. So with that in mind, it’s not at all unreasonable to assume that some enterprising heartless crooks will also be making ‘copies’ of N-95 rated disposable masks to sell to an unsuspecting world.

For those who actually buy the proper mask, please understand that nothing is foolproof, and this is certainly true of a flimsy paper mask that you apply yourself. N-95 rated masks are intended only to reduce your risk or chances of exposure, and they should not be worn with the false assumption that you are now impervious to influenza or Ebola viruses.

Look for and carefully read the instructions that come with your mask for any questions regarding its proper fit to your face, and how to properly dispose of them. The quality of the seal of the mask to your face could mean the difference between your living and dying, so please do not take the fitting process lightly. Heed this warning: you cannot have any hair, whether facial or otherwise, interfering with the seal of the mask against your face. This very simply means ‘your beard or your life’ – you choose.

Believe it or not, when you’re wearing a mask and you inhale, viruses in the air are so small that they can enter in through the tiny microscopic space between facial hair and the face mask. So add disposable razors to your list of items to buy for your supplies if you’ve purchased masks, whether for you or a loved one, because the mask will not seal properly with any hair at all that could possibly obstruct the sealing surface – it is not worth the risk.

NOTE: A quick comment on razors. I tested a lot of them, the cheap ones and the more expensive ones, and I found that the cheap disposable razors available at Wal-Mart (Wilkinson Speed3), or the Publix Supermarket generic brand (Performa), seemed to be the best razor, offering the best all-around value (Wal-Mart has an 8 pack of Speed3 razors for about $6). They feature three blades, have rib-like steps spaced about 1/8 inch apart going up the length of the handle, and near the triple edged blade there’s a ‘half round’ opening that’s ideal for hanging the razor up on a hook. My research found that most razors don’t actually get dull from use, but rather, the blades rust on a microscopic level because their users typically lay them ‘blade down’ on the sink or the tub’s edge when they’re done, and they get dull because they’re resting in a small pool of water, or they’ve been left with water still on the blades.

My beard is bristle stiff so that I absolutely have to shave at least once every single day. Yet I still get a lot of life out of my razors, and you can too. The solution is simple: Shave about halfway through or near the end of your shower, after your beard has softened up, and use hair conditioner in lieu of shaving cream (I use Dove Hair Therapy, but whatever you have may work well too). It works perfectly, it’s more affordable, and it’s already in the shower. When I’m done shaving, I rinse the blades, then blow them off or shake them well, and then I hang the razor up on a hook when I’m done so that the blades aren’t lying on any wet surfaces. I find that I can easily get three to four months use out of every single one of these cheap disposable razors, unless it feels dull or the glide strip is coming off, at which point I’ll toss it.

It may be difficult for some people to get a seal or breathe through a standard shaped N-95 rated mask, so you can opt to purchase the pleated or duckbill style masks (still with the N-95 rating of course), both of which allow for more breathing room. Also, for children or people with smaller faces, the normal sized masks may not provide an adequate seal, so be sure to look for some of the small or medium sized masks for them. Be sure to test them for proper fit according to the manufacturer’s requirements as stated on the box or at their web site, and do so before a need for them arises. Failure to follow their instructions properly may result in sickness or death.

Through my own experiments, the pleated mask’s may be more likely to fit smaller faces, whereas the disposable pre-formed masks that I’ve personally tested have not fit small faced people or small children despite being labeled as a size Small. Be it known that I am by no means an expert and I’ve not tested every mask manufacturer’s small sized masks. But all is not lost for those with smaller faces. A company named AOSafety produces a pleated one that seems to do the job, at least for my family’s needs. Their ‘Pleats Plus’ Model #1050-S, seems to fit people with smaller faces that the other so-called small masks I tested would not. Other manufacturers besides AOSafety may make similar pleated ones that would fit. I’ve not tested or sampled them all, but you’ll have to test and judge them for yourself according to your needs. Also, it’s been a couple of years since I started this so it’s possible that other manufacturers have come to realize that their small size did not fit some of the smaller faces. Another benefit to this duck-bill design is that the masks fold flat so you can easily fit them into a bug-out bag or glove compartment (store them in a sandwich bag so they will stay clean).

Also, there are some masks made by various manufacturers that have a valve located in the front that will make breathing more comfortable for some. The valve acts as a ‘check valve’ that closes when the wearer inhales yet opens during their exhale, allowing the breathing process to occur more naturally than without the valve. They are more expensive than regular pre-formed masks so be prepared for the extra cost. One note of caution concerning the masks that contain those valves: do not let an already infected person wear this type of mask. Rather than the mask containing the virus as a regular fitted mask might, sick people wearing the type with a valve will freely expel viruses from that valve every time they exhale.

NOTE: If anyone who’s planning on wearing either type of mask has a medical condition such as; asthma, emphysema, heart disease, or some other form of respiratory disorder, you or they, should consult with their doctor in advance of any event, about what to do for them in this regard.

Do not touch or remove the mask you’re wearing to: scratch your nose, eat, drink, talk on the phone, or have a cigarette, if
The Pandemic Preparedness Guide 277
you’ve been in a potentially infectious environment. These N-95 rated paper masks are ‘one time use’ disposable masks - you cannot wash and/or reuse them, and you cannot share them with others.

And lastly, use caution whenever you have to remove your mask or go to dispose of any used masks (or any other possibly contaminated personal protective equipment), being very careful not to touch the potentially contaminated outer surface with your bare hands (if you do, thoroughly wash your hands immediately afterwards, before touching other surfaces). If for some reason you must remove one with unprotected hands, grasping the rubber band that secures it to the face, at either the side or back of the head would probably be safest. Wearing approved rubber gloves is of course the safest bet, and of course you must always wash your hands thoroughly after having any contact with a mask, using an anti-microbial soap and warm water for at least ten to fifteen seconds, as doing so may save your life.

Any used or contaminated N-95 rated face masks, or other used PPE should be disposed of properly as hazardous waste. I would suggest burning them if that’s at all possible, since most of us will not have biohazard rated garbage bags or a place to properly dispose of such contaminated items. I’d hate to see vermin or a family pet start chewing on a virus contaminated mask or glove, since that may open up a whole new chapter of things for you to have to deal with, not the least of which might be that you’ll now have a ‘presumed to be infected’ pet."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic