Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

What Have You Done America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Have You Done America?
    Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:31pm
indeed
what have you done?

Donald Trump to America: I Won, Accountability Is Over

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/donald-trump-to-america-i-won-accountability-is-over.html

"Perhaps the most chilling thing about the affair was the abuse Trump and his staffers hurled upon the press corps. Trump brought in supporters to cheer his answers and shout at reporters who asked tough questions. He lambasted CNN as “fake news,” a term originally applied to deliberately false stories concocted by trolls, but quickly repurposed by conservatives for use against any news article that they disapprove of for any reason. Trump’s press secretary threatened to eject CNN reporter Jim Acosta if he continued to demand the chance to ask a question, which Trump refused to grant."

"TRUMP BROUGHT IN SUPPORTERS TO CHEER HIS ANSWERS AND SHOUT AT REPORTERS WHO ASKED TOUGH QUESTIONS"

". His early behavior is consistent with (though far from proof of) the thesis that he is an emerging autocrat. The people have granted him license to steal and hide as he wishes. The bully has his pulpit."

are you beginning now to see what you have unleashed?
are the pieces starting to come together?
where in history have we seen this type of thing before?

God  help us......

just how much clearer can it get?
even a deaf and blind man can see the mistake that was made putting this megalomaniac into office
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 11:20pm
He showed that he a weak man ,not up to the scrutiny,not used having to answer to others ,interesting to watch ,dictator in the making ,indeed what have you done America......spoilt brat in charge.....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 6:33am
For Trump it would be:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt.
 Abraham Lincoln

LOL
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 10:14am
and the rabbit hole just gets deeper and DEEPER

Donald Trump was bailed out of bankruptcy by Russia crime bosses

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/1...a-crime-bosses

"studies by the Financial Times to show how funds from Russian crime lords bailed Trump out after yet anther bankruptcy. The conclusions are stark.

Among the powerful facts that DNI missed were a series of very deep studies published in the [Financial Times] that examined the structure and history of several major Trump real estate projects from the last decade—the period after his seventh bankruptcy and the cancellation of all his bank lines of credit. ...

The money to build these projects flowed almost entirely from Russian sources. In other words, after his business crashed, Trump was floated and made to appear to operate a successful business enterprise through the infusion of hundreds in millions of cash from dark Russian sources.

He was their man."

Dirty money: Trump and the Kazakh connection
https://www.ft.com/content/33285dfa-...8-d3778b55a923

the Buzzfeed expose is small potatoes
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 4:39pm
Very wary of 'guests'=trollbots especially on this subject.....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 7:04pm
EXCELLENT piece by a Russian journalist on Trumps relationship with the press

A Message To My Doomed Colleagues In The American Media

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexey...tml?1484264929
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 8:05pm
Satori, I believe you are wrong. If you are a journalist, you can not be honest about anything. We will see. Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 9:55am
Interesting op-ed about the potential destabilization of Europe and NATO in the wake of Brexit and Trump's election win.

Whether you believe Trump's campaign promises or not, it seems we're in for a very turbulent period in world history. Might be wise to beef up those preps, just in case. Uncertain times ahead...

Johnray1 - your assessment of journalists also applies to politicians. With that in mind, who do we believe?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/opinion/trumps-pivotal-russian-test.html?_r=0

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 10:19am
Trump viciously attacked CNN

well....
seems journalists can tell the truth
and it was Trump who was LYING AGAIN

More Evidence CNN Was Right: Multiple Outlets Confirm Comey Personally Briefed Trump on Dossier

http://www.redstate.com/patterico/20...trump-dossier/

"That contradicts claims by members of Trump’s transition team and other news outlets that intelligence officials never briefed Trump on the two-page addendum to a classified report given to President Obama and leaders in Congress about Russian efforts to interfere with the presidential election."

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 1:24pm

Donald Trump reprises campaign attacks against former rival Hillary Clinton declaring her 'guilty as hell'

Updated 40 minutes ago

US President-elect Donald Trump has reprised his election campaign attacks on Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, declaring her "guilty as hell" and deriding her supporters' criticism of how the FBI handled an investigation into her emails.

The US Justice Department said on Thursday it would investigate an FBI decision to announce an inquiry into Mrs Clinton's emails shortly before the November 8 election, a move she has blamed as a factor in her defeat.

"What are Hillary Clinton's people complaining about with respect to the FBI. Based on the information they had, she should never have been allowed to run — guilty as hell," Mr Trump wrote on Twitter.

"They were VERY nice to her. She lost because she campaigned in the wrong states — no enthusiasm!"

Mr Trump often led crowds in chants of "lock her up!" during the 2016 election campaign, accusing Mrs Clinton of illegal conduct over her use of a private email server for official correspondence while she was secretary of state under President Barack Obama.

In a debate in October, the Republican real estate developer vowed Mrs Clinton would "be in jail" over the matter if he became president, but later said he would not pursue prosecution.

Some of the Clinton emails were determined to contain classified information, and the FBI ultimately decided not to refer her case for prosecution.

The Democrats said FBI Director James Comey's announcement of the new inquiry into the emails damaged her standing with voters right before the election, and he faced complaints that his moves were politically motivated.

Brian Fallon, Clinton's spokesman, told MSNBC on Thursday that Mr Comey's actions "cried out for an independent review".

Senator Dick Durbin, the number two Democrat in the US Senate, said Mr Comey's statements were not "fair, professional or consistent with the policies of the Federal Bureau of Investigation".

Mr Comey said the FBI would cooperate fully with the investigation.

Mr Trump, who will be sworn in on January 20, will not have the power to dismiss the investigation.

Federal law permits US presidents to dismiss inspectors general for federal agencies, as long as the president provides Congress a written justification for the removal 30 days in advance.

Further questions on Russia's involvement

The comments came as it was revealed that Mr Trump's pick for national security adviser, Michael Flynn, held multiple phone conversations with Russia's ambassador to Washington on the day the US announced "retaliation" for Moscow's interference in the presidential election.

The conversations appear to raise further questions about contacts between Mr Trump's advisers and Russian officials at a time when US intelligence agencies contend that Moscow waged a multifaceted campaign of hacking and other actions to boost Mr Trump's election chances over Mrs Clinton.

On December 29, Mr Obama ordered the expulsion of 35 Russian suspected spies and imposed sanctions on two Russian intelligence agencies over their involvement in hacking US political groups in the 2016 election.

Whether Mr Flynn and Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak discussed those sanctions is unclear.

An 18th-century US law, the Logan Act, bars unauthorised citizens from negotiating with foreign governments that are in disputes with the United States.

A Trump spokesman said Mr Flynn took a call from the Russian ambassador last month, and discussed setting up a call between the President-elect and Russian President Vladimir Putin after Mr Trump's inauguration.

"The call centred around the logistics of setting up a call with the President of Russia and the President-elect after he was sworn in and they exchanged logistical information on how to initiate and schedule that call. That was it, plain and simple," spokesman Sean Spicer said.

Reuters

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 1:31pm
above  is typical TRUMP.

DEFLECT the blame ,ATTACK ,DERIDE,CALL PEOPLE LIARS,DISS them,

hope the news cycle moves on,

the fool is your PRESIDENT

DONT YOU SEE WHAT HE IS UP TO........

SMOKE AND MIRRORS

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

He showed that he a weak man ,not up to the scrutiny,not used having to answer to others ,interesting to watch ,dictator in the making ,indeed what have you done America......spoilt brat in charge.....

Thanks, C20!  It's pretty damn discouraging up here, watching it go on.  

CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 9:33pm
I really hope I'm wrong about the man,but pushing 60 ,and been around a bit ,I think I got a good take on folks.....

Marcus Aurelius
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 8:01am

I really hope I'm wrong about the man,but pushing 60 ,and been around a bit ,I think I got a good take on folks.....

I think you are wrong and as I have been posting what we have the most to fear from is not Trump - it is the extremely violent and upset liberals that lost and will not accept it.

Wall street is one indicator that our economy, the business world and countries that have been taking our jobs, our factories and our money away are about to have to sit down and deal with a business man.

You need to consider the source of all these stories as well as the reality he will be our president if some radical doesn't shoot him first - January 19, 2017. That is 4 days.

What America has done has taken the control of at least some of the government away from the huge powerful states of California and New York and given some representation to the South and Midwest who are fed up with racial and gender issues taking priority over our foreign policy and survival as a nation on the planet. During the Obama years we were shamed and in one unsuccessful military disaster after another.

It was a far cry from when we charged into Baghdad after Iraq attacked and invaded Kuwait.  Most of these stories coming out are not true and afterwards when they are found to be false, the media will not own up to it.

It is not good to have countries run by lawyers. That is why the new cabinet - despite all kinds of opposition will change the course of history in building up our military, and move from reality cable where scandal after scandal are use to invalidate the legitimacy of a president elected fairly and legally.

We need to move on. Obama is not going to declare a national emergency, martial law at the "riots" being planned by forces which are hired guns and not in our best interests.

Most of the recent presidents have not fulfilled their campaign promises. The world leaders respect Trump more than Hillary despite the fact he is not a movie star or especially loved by some of the minority groups.

Europeans needs a stronger America as does the U.K. 

What have we done?  We have elected a president that despite the actors and those trying to get attention for special interest gender or racial groups have lost.

Medclinician
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 12:43pm

Relevant reading in the Australian press:

US secretary of state nominee Rex Tillerson's astounding remarks about the United States threatening to block China accessing contested islands in the South China Sea is an example of how domestic politics in Washington or Beijing could "trump" cooler heads prevailing and lead to a clash between the world's two biggest powers.

Anything can happen after 20th January, when Trump becomes President.  Thus far, I am considerably more impressed by some of his Cabinet picks than I am by Trump himself - there is push-back on dealing with Russia for example. 

However, Trump's actions thus far do not inspire confidence in me (a longtime Republican who has worked on several political campaigns for US Representative, Senator and President).   I'm quite alarmed that he is cozy to Russia (NOT a friend of the USA at this time), provocative to China, and all over the map on domestic policies.  His very low approval ratings thus far reflect his inconsistencies. 

I certainly did not want Hillary at any point, she was and is a crook.  I supported other Republican nominees, although none were very impressive to the base of voters.  This was a cursed election. 

Maybe I'm wrong, and Trump will be brilliant?  I'm doubtful.

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 1:49pm
Med you constantly post some lengthy OPINION pieces

but you NEVER post ANY links to back up ANYTHING you say

its kinda hard to take you as  a credible source

you do a great job of reposting right wing TALKING POINTS

I know because I frequent the right wing sites as much as I do left wing ones

still waiting on that evidence of the MASSIVE voter fraud thingy LOL
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 2:02pm
maybe thats his Skill Doc,

i too like some of the team he has picked,

he does seem to open his mouth!!!!! without engaging his brain (i very guilty of that)

maybe its time to call a spade a shovel

maybe  time to shake them all up,

my cousin who lives in the states says 'nothing will happen ,government moves very slowley over ther as is the case everywhere,

he does have the advantage over Obama ,

he has both houses ,where Obama had his hands tied,someting folks seem to have forgotten,

i just hope it all works out, for the good for all our American MATES Thumbs Up

FINGERS CROSSED 

just hope he got what it takes.....

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 2:12pm
after i wrote the "LAST POST" 

i read this 

CIA Director John Brennan on Sunday had a stern parting message for Republican Donald Trump days before he assumes the US presidency, cautioning him against loosening sanctions on Russia and warning him to watch what he says.

Brennan rebuked the president-elect for comparing US intelligence practices to Nazi Germany in comments that laid bare the friction between Trump and the intelligence community he has criticised and is on the verge of commanding.

In an interview with Fox News Sunday, Brennan questioned the message sent to the world if the president-elect broadcasts that he does not have confidence in the United States' own intelligence agencies.

"What I do find outrageous is equating intelligence community with Nazi Germany," Brennan said. "I do take great umbrage at that."

His comments followed a tumultuous week of finger-pointing between Trump and intelligence agency leaders over an unsubstantiated report of compromising information Moscow had collected on Trump.

The unverified dossier was summarised in a US intelligence report presented to President Barack Obama and Trump this month that concluded Russia tried to sway the outcome of the Nov. 8 election by hacking and other means. It did not make an assessment on whether the attempts were successful.

Trump accused the intelligence community of leaking the compromising information, which its leaders denied. They said it was their responsibility to inform the president-elect that the allegations were being circulated.

Brennan sounded an alarm on the topic of US relations with Russia, something Trump has vowed to improve as he beats back criticism that he is too eager to make an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Trump does not yet have a full understanding of Russia's actions, Brennan said, noting its seizure of Crimea from Ukraine, its support for President Bashar al-Assad in Syria's civil war and Moscow's activities in the cyber realm.

"Mr. Trump has to understand that absolving Russia of various actions it has taken in the past number of years is a road that he I think needs to be very, very careful about moving down," he told Fox.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal published on Friday, Trump suggested he might do away with sanctions imposed by the Obama administration in late December in response to alleged cyber attacks if Moscow proves helpful in battling terrorists and reaching other US goals.

Russian relations

The president-elect's comments about Putin and his reluctance to assign blame to Moscow for the hacking of Democratic political groups has opened him up to criticism that he will be too soft on Russia.

For months, Trump had publicly doubted US intelligence conclusions about the cyber attacks before acknowledging at a news conference on Wednesday that he thought Russia was behind the hacking.

Vice President-elect Mike Pence told the Fox program, "What the president-elect is determined to do is to explore the possibility of better relations."

Pence did not say whether Trump would undo some of the sanctions and diplomatic expulsions Obama had slapped on Moscow.

He confirmed Trump's incoming national security adviser, Michael Flynn, held conversations with the Russian ambassador around the time the sanctions were imposed, but said the talks "were not in any way related to the new US sanctions against Russia or the expulsion of diplomats."

However, Pence denied that Trump's political team had any contact with Russian officials during the presidential campaign. "Of course not," he told Fox.

Leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee said on Friday they will investigate alleged Russian attempts to influence the election and any links between Russia and the political campaigns.

Brennan also on Sunday said Trump needs to be mindful about his off-the-cuff remarks once he takes the oath of office on Friday, alluding to his penchant for making broad pronouncements on Twitter.

"Spontaneity is not something that protects national security interests," Brennan said. "So therefore when he speaks or when he reacts, just make sure he understands that the implications and impact on the United States could be profound.

"It's more than just about Mr. Trump. It's about the United States of America."

Reuters

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/world/us-election/cia-director-warns-donald-trump-on-easing-moscow-sanctions-and-what-he-says-20170115-gtrymn#ixzz4Vs3cdlDR 
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 5:22pm
^Trump is out of his element....a rich boy growing up in his daddy's business, and then his own, he could give anyone he wanted the finger & often did. 

He's made many, many enemies, and this will come back to haunt him.   I'm waiting for his tax returns to be leaked after he takes the oath and becomes President, as this could show his foreign involvements and lead to impeachment.  

Anything can happen, prepare accordingly.  

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 5:36am
if Trump pulls this off and it is not some sort of scam
I may have to change my tuneApprove

Trump vows 'insurance for everybody' in replacing Obamacare

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-vow...021026295.html
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

if Trump pulls this off and it is not some sort of scam
I may have to change my tuneApprove

Trump vows 'insurance for everybody' in replacing Obamacare

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-vow...021026295.html

I thought the exact same thing, Satori! 

Let's just say that I'm skeptical for now.  The Republicans will not allow an expansion of government into healthcare (which I would support), and the private insurance companies do NOT want to offer insurance to folks like me (I'm full of pre-existing conditions that disqualify me from almost any plan). 

This is a great article discussing feasible alternatives (IF they can get past Paul Ryan):

Congress should replace that approach with a more direct one: Offer Medicaid or Medicare coverage to anybody turned down by private insurance. Or simply create a high-risk insurance pool similar to the ones that states create for problem drivers. This would protect insurance companies against the sick-customer “death spiral” and protect patients against premature death.
CRS, DrPH
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 1:52am
Assuming Trump fails to instigate world war 3,* but does this successfully, I would forgive him everything else and call him the greatest President you ever had over there.**  For a country so rich to have such an awful healthcare system amounts to a national disgrace.  For God's sake America, even Cuba manages a national health service and has a far better life expectancy than you do! 

Most Americans say they are Christians: yet, ask them to pay for the treatment of the sick out of their tax dollars (even though it would extend their own life expectancy and that of their nearest and dearest as well) and nearly half of them start crying about how unfair it is.  Amazing!

* Yet to be shown.
** More to the point, I will admit to being totally wrong about him.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 6:29am
Technpphobe,one thing about "Christians",at least in this country
their political beliefs almost always override their so called spiritual beliefs
in my entire life I have known only a small number of true followers of Christ
I can count them on one hand

No, We Are Not Going To Get Single Payer Under Donald Trump

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/01/no...le-payer-under

we have absolutely NO reason to trust Trump on this or anything else
,his track record speaks volumes

"Trump's promises are of the say-anything variety familiar to anyone who paid attention to Trump University:

The ads for his university were classic Donald Trump -- Trump stares into the camera and proclaims:

"We're going to have professors and adjunct professors that are absolutely terrific people, terrific brains, successful. We are going to have the best of the best... and these are people that are handpicked by me."

... [But in] Trump's own deposition [in] December [2015], Trump failed to recognize the name of a single presenter or teacher at his real estate seminars. He also confirmed he had nothing to do with the selection process of instructors who taught at the school's events or mentors for the school's "Gold Elite" programs.

A review of Trump University presenters and so-called real estate experts found many with questionable credentials and inflated resumes. Court documents show background-checks conducted during the hiring process could not determine whether some instructors even graduated high school."
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 7:06am
I'm fortunate to have health coverage through my employer, but I've also been in the position of being uninsured here in the US. It is truly a scary situation to be in, and it galls me that lawmakers who have health insurance get to decide whether their employers (the American public) should have it to.

Fingers crossed that the NHS survives, Techno. Much maligned, but having had experience of both the US and UK systems, I'd take the good old NHS every time. Healthcare belongs in the hands of doctors, not accountants and self serving politicians.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 4:46pm
The NHS still has many problems.  NICE (National Institute of health and Care Excellence) regularily denies funding for life extending drugs such as some of the most experimental chemotherapies.  Our accident and emergency rooms are overcrowded and our hospitals all have a shortage of beds.

But no life saving treatments are withheld, no pain medication is restricted and overall the NHS is amazingly wonderful.  In my family of 4 it has given epilepsy medication and brain surgery to my son, given me two C-sections and a ceramic/titanium hip, saved my husband with surgery for a ruptured AAA and (hopefully - looking good so far) successfully treated and cured stage 4 cancer. 

The government would be lynched (literally!) if they let the NHS fail. It is the one government controlled service that is universally loved.  Generally the people are more afraid of the the government than vice-versa but on this single point the government dare not fail.  
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Medclinician Medclinician wrote:

The world leaders respect Trump more than Hillary despite the fact he is not a movie star or especially loved by some of the minority groups.

I think worry is the overwhelming reaction to Trump's election win, Med. I'm not seeing much that equates to respect from most world leaders.

http://secondnexus.com/politics-and-economics/trump-interview-stuns-european-leaders/?utm_content=inf_10_1164_2&tse_id=INF_9f4f1de0dcc111e6a03c354c456e1db2

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 6:49pm

Scottish Newspaper's TV Guide Brilliantly Nails Trump's Surreal 'Twilight Zone' Inauguration

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/01/scottish-newspapers-tv-guide-brilliantly

too funny

count down to January 20th

let the 4 year NIGHTMARE begin

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 7:37pm
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
~ Isaac Asimov
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 6:29am
Aaah! Asimov was my first love!

The problem with all politicians is that they never, ever tell the truth.  Putin will praise Trump and our British leaders refrain from comment.  But, reading between the lines, most of our politicians think him a dangerous idiot and Putin thinks he will make a fine puppet.  I can't speak for any others as I can only tell what their lips are saying.  I would love to hear comments from anyone in their own countries who has a handle on what they mean.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 2:07pm

ASIMOV..... A.C CLARK...... what incredible forsight.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdWQAKzESA

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

The NHS still has many problems.  NICE (National Institute of health and Care Excellence) regularily denies funding for life extending drugs such as some of the most experimental chemotherapies.  Our accident and emergency rooms are overcrowded and our hospitals all have a shortage of beds.

But no life saving treatments are withheld, no pain medication is restricted and overall the NHS is amazingly wonderful.  In my family of 4 it has given epilepsy medication and brain surgery to my son, given me two C-sections and a ceramic/titanium hip, saved my husband with surgery for a ruptured AAA and (hopefully - looking good so far) successfully treated and cured stage 4 cancer. 

The government would be lynched (literally!) if they let the NHS fail. It is the one government controlled service that is universally loved.  Generally the people are more afraid of the the government than vice-versa but on this single point the government dare not fail.  

Wonderful stories, Techno!  I myself have epilepsy and underwent brain surgery in 1999, and it was successful!  Blessings to my dear wife, who had the insurance from her employer to pay for this. 

We Yanks desperately need "health insurance for all," and I believe that allowing all of us to have access to Medicare is the way to do it.  Medicare doesn't pay the best to doctors, so those who have better insurance through employment may have access to the better quality specialists, but Medicare would certainly suffice for everyone.  It is a fine program. 

Thank you for sharing!  It is not fun to be chronically ill in America, without insurance, and paying huge bills out of pocket as I have done.  I hope you and your family continue to enjoy good health!  

Be safe and best wishes, Chuck 

CRS, DrPH
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 4:40am
Those of us who want a more complete service can and do opt for private health insurance.  This gives you the more expensive and experimental chemotherapies and a private room.  

It seems to function less well overall though, Chuck.  My friend, who had a private insurance, ended up with an NHS  service after all, as the private system turned out to be far slower in an emergency.  On the NHS there are no conditions not covered and no bar for pre-existing conditions.  There is a shortage of doctors, but those we do have are driven with a calling, instead of being driven by money.  Both drives have their advantages, but I think we win on aggregate.  This probably works out like your medicare.  

In most respects America beats us, hands down!  You fund more research, and pay the researchers better, leading to a "brain drain".  Overall you are far wealthier, and opportunities are more common.  You have a culture and ethos of self-reliance and go-getting we can only envy from this side of the pond.  But, we have the NHS and no death penalty.  Britishers and Americans are very alike in almost every way (if you ignore the facts that we are divided by a common language and the Brits are very lazy by comparison) but I think our power elite have more respect for human life than yours do.  So, I would stay here if the opportunity to emigrate arose, even though  I may never have a beautiful huge american colonial style house, have to suffer bad dentistry and be treated in overcrowded wards.  I only wish you could all join us.

Stay safe and well, my friend.  Maggie.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 5:05am
Dear Chuck and Co.,  

I do hope that your new President arranges something similar to our National Health Service and does away with the death penalty because there is nothing more ungodly or saccreligious in any of the major religions than killing another human being, after pronouncing judgement upon them and failing to assist those who need help through no fault of their own.  

Now, I have served beside Americans of all races, colors and creeds during the so-called cold war and after 29 years I still miss those "Yanks" and have fond memories of some of the things we got up to.  I have always been a believer in an Anglo-US empire or "Union of the English Speaking Peoples".  The reason I favor English as the language is because of its expressive flexibility above other languages (no disrespect to my German and Spanish friends intended).  

But, having fought off cancer, and having suffered to a degree that was very bit as bad as physical and emotional torture, I have survived thanks to our NHS and some brilliant and dedicated medical nurses, doctors and surgeons, whom were comprised of all nations and creeds, from Muslim, Christian and atheist, African, Asian people and a fair mixture of continentals, I must say: I am deeply saddened that people of my blood, from the 1600s when they went to America, and are probably well "mixed in" now, do not have the health benefits we have here.  

God Bless you America, you have been a great ally and friend, but, as a friend, I advise you to continue to push your new administration for the advancement of your society.  Your people deserve better.

All the best, Bernard.
I like Ike
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 8:36am
Nice to see you back, Bernard Thumbs Up

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 3:24pm
I love this site!  Clap

We may never meet, nor share a drink or meal, but we certainly share many great experiences!!  

Maggie, dear, I lived in the UK off and on for a few years, doing environmental work down in Devon.  I quite fell in love with the countryside, pace of life, people, and a few of the local maidens!  

At a party once, I had a chance to speak with a number of fine Brits about their country vs. ours....they were jealous of things they thought that we had, but I brought up the armed violence that is pervasive, lack of social support services and other things, and we had a good chat.  

Mr. Trump will soon be President Trump, let's hope he doesn't screw this up too badly.  I have very low expectations....if anything, the death penalty will be easier to implement, health care harder to get, and employment faltering (assuming he starts a trade war with China).  Stay safe, fingers crossed! 

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 4:59pm
Pence recently said that what Trump  REALLY meant when talking about health care
is that he is going to make "insurance affordable for everyone" not that everyone would actually have health insurance much less health care

backpedaling beginning ?
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 8:03pm
We Stand At The Twilight Of The Great Republic

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/01/we...great-republic

"Here we stand.

Less than 24 hours until the inauguration of a man uniquely unqualified to hold high office in the history of this great nation. A man who, unlike any before him, has fought his way to the Presidency through lies, slander and outright graft. A man who has built himself up as a populist demagogue who is worshipped by his supporters, despite evidence of any wrongdoing.

When in the history of this Republic have we ever willfully elected a man who is unethical at best, and outright criminal at worst? Whose only thought is to defend his image and his ego - despite being played like a well tuned violin by an open adversary? When have we ever elected a man who puts the State of the Union and the security and welfare of the nation second to the perception that he was illegitimately elected?

This will be a sad day for the United States of America - and the death of a great Republic.

The Pre-Presidency of Donald J. Trump has already proven itself to be a travesty of scandal and corruption - with Trump himself acting as a new Boss Tweed - pulling the strings of power by nominating those who have given him, or the Republican Party, obscene sums of money - ranging from former Exxon Mobile CEO Rex Tillerson, with his untold billions from Russian Oil just waiting to be repatriated with the lifting of sanctions, to Betsy DeVos - the fundamentalist Christian "Education" advocate who believes it's God's Will that we have charter schools armed with guns against potential grizzlies (not to mention the $200+ million her and her family have donated to Republican Party members over the years).

We have Price, with his stock purchases that would have landed anybody else in jail. We have Flynn with his secret spewing son. We have professional wrestling in charge of the SBA, anti-environmentalists at the EPA, anti-Labor at... the department of Labor...

The most frightening thing is that the incompetence of the nominees and the incoming president is not what worries me the most: It is the vindictive and pseudo-fascist manner in which Trump conducts himself and apparently plans to govern as well.

↓ Story continues below ↓

He has insisted that those who voted against him are "illegals" or committing fraud.

He refuses to admit that foreign powers openly interfered in our elections.

He has started to alienate our allies by insisting that they are obsolete, and we will not come to their aid unless, like mercenaries, we are paid.

And far beyond not liking scrutiny - he openly attacks those who criticize him and invites people to openly attack them as well. He invites our enemies to target his political enemies - and even has threatened to jail them.

The Republican Party, for its part, with members in both houses of Congress are either acting like accomplices or beaten spouses. They either are drunk on blind ideological zeal that says that now they are in power - they can do what they please, and mistakenly believe that they can control Trump through their votes - or they are too cowardly to even try to oppose him for fear of being the object of his aggression. Either way - they no longer serve the Republic - but they serve the Tyrant at 1600.

It has already become patently clear that this Congress will be nothing more than a Rubber Stamp on whatever maniacal ideas President Trump has a desire to implement - from requiring visiting dignitaries to stay at a Trump hotel, to creating opportunities for sweetheart deals for his sons. They have had no objection to blatant nepotism in the administration, nor have they raised a single objection to completely transparent control of Trump by the Russian President - Vladimir Putin.

In Short: We have entered the time of an Imperial Presidency, and we are unlikely to come through it unscathed. Do I believe Trump is capable of seizing power beyond 8 years - absolutely. Do I think he will? Undecided. However, the unparalleled grasp on power over all 3 branches of government that he has already begun to exhibit will be far more terrifying for the next Emperor to sit in the American Curule Seat.

I weep for the America I grew up in. Reagan's shining city on the hill. That was an image we all could understand and aspire to. That shining city has become the same festering whore that was Rome. And as in Rome - the Rubicon has been crossed - the patricians in the Senate (and House) have no power over the Imperator that we have elected, but the mob in all its glory - having gorged on the Bread of McDonald's and the Circuses of reality TV and 24 hour news - is a seething mass ready to do the Tyrant's bidding.

Build the wall! Denigrate those who serve us! Hate a Religion that isn't ours! Despise those on the other side of the argument! Punish those who oppose us!

I weep for the Republic we say we defend - and the Constitution we say we believe in.

I weep for a country I can no longer be proud of.

-Eboneezer Goode
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 12:32pm
poor Trump
he gave a party
and hardly anyone showed Cry

this is just downright embarrassing
humiliating even

Trump's crowd size raised eyebrows ... with how small it was

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017...w-small-it-was

Crowd count is in:
Trump 2017: 250,000
Obama 2013: 1,000,000
Obama 2009: 1,800,000#Inauguration

and at the preinaguration concert

Trump 10,000
Obama 400,000

Trump=NOT the PEOPLE'S choice
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 12:51pm
and this is who the people
sorry THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE decided is the best man for the job

seriously ?

Whose inauguration is that on Donald Trump's Twitter background?

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/20/1622762/-Whose-inauguration-is-that-on-Donald-Trump-s-Twitter-background

can this guy be honest about anything?
ANYTHING ?

I'm beginning to wonder if his name is even Donald Trump

He lies
even on the very day he takes office ?

wow

dark days ahead America
DARK DAYS AHEAD
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 2:02pm
The ink was barely wet on the page when Trump's crew started to hack the White House website:

They deleted vast sections discussing climate change, LGBT rights, and disability. 

I'm a disabled climate scientist who has many LGBT friends, so I am quite alarmed.   

The USA is the only country in the world to my knowledge to be led by a person who totally denies the science of climate change.  Even Kim Jong Un in North Korea acknowledges climate change (and blames it on the USA).  

Buckle up, folks, we are in for a rough ride.  I'm expecting China to move against Taiwan when they have sized this guy up.  Their first move will probably be to contact Taiwan and say "If we invade, do you think the USA is really going to defend you?"  Their second move will likely be a challenge such as a blockade of Taiwan's ocean shipping, which would be crippling.  

Hillary had huge flaws, was far from honest, and was not my favorite candidate....however, we have what we have.  America First?  That is an anti-semitic slogan of anti-interventionists from the second world war. 
CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 2:08pm
Trumps day one PRIORITY

ok deplorables
the government needs YOUR check for $500 immediately

One Of President Trump’s First Acts Will Cost Homeowners Millions Of Dollars

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...4peymcm84r6bt9
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

I'm a disabled climate scientist who has many LGBT friends, so I am quite alarmed.

Thank you for giving me the first thing to smile about all day, Chuck. Classic line Clap

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 4:32am
I am afraid that the only thing I can currently laugh about is the fact that to trump (in British slang) is to fart loudly.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Well he does produce a lot of hot air!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 8:38am
I told my kid the same thing, Techno. He got a kick out of that (as you do with anything flatulence related at the age of 15). "Trump" is unfortunately another word for fart in the UK LOL

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 9:39am
Interesting read for those who don't understand the power of branding.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic