Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Flu vaccine now 28-32% effective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu vaccine now 28-32% effective
    Posted: February 26 2017 at 10:31pm
Here it is near the end of the flu season. With mutations the estimated efficiency of the flu vaccine has dropped to 28 - 32% in the Nordic Countries

Originally posted by YLE = Finnish National Broadcasting Service YLE = Finnish National Broadcasting Service wrote:

For the first time, this winter THL has monitored the effectiveness of flu vaccines in real time by cross-referencing the national vaccination registry with flu cases data in the communicable diseases registry. In parallel, Swedish researchers began registry-based monitoring in Stockholm County.

It was found that at the start of the flu season in December the effectiveness of vaccines in Finland was relatively good, at about 50 percent. By the start of the year, the effectiveness had clearly fallen, to 32 percent. This was in the same range as the 28 percent effectiveness seen in Stockholm at the same time.

In both Finland and Sweden, nearly all early cases were influenza A(H3N2). As the season progressed the number of variations (subclades) were found to have increased. The genetic changes likely explain the decrease in the effectiveness of inoculations.

A report by the Finnish-Swedish research group was published in the medical journal Eurosurveillance on Thursday.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/mutations_may_be_weakening_flu_jab_protection/9479654
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 10:38pm
EVERY patient that I have worked with this year,who had the flu,had gotten the vaccine
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2017 at 4:30pm
Ok, so we have had a bunch of people ill at our school. Not sure if flu or just a bad virus that makes people really sick.

My son was sick at college two weeks ago...love the doctor told him he had a touch of the flu...what does that mean. He did not do a flu test so by his symptoms 101 fever, no aches or pains, no chills, bad cough, runny nose, it was a bad cold.

Teachers and kids at our school have had the same thing going around. Love the parents sending the kids to school sick and the teachers coming to school sick because they have to take time off for meetings and don't want to use sick leave!

I never take the flu shot thinking I will avoid it but maybe I can avoid it. But I have never been sicker than when I got a sinus infection and got pneumonia from that several years ago.

Luck of the draw folks!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 3:19am
Well, for those who keep getting sick every year on here, in a severe pandemic, and if all hell breaks lose with an avian flu pandemic, you will probably not do very well and you could be the first to go.

Next year around August, let's try something new since we can never count on the flu vax.  Lets work on boosting our immune systems and maybe get on regiment of elderberry extract, and see if we can avoid getting sick naturally.    Will be an interesting project and we can all start in in 6 months.  Better to find out now what works since so many people on here can't avoid getting the regular flu.  

I personally work from home, so it's easy for me to avoid getting sick and haven't been for a few years.  

I'll also add, if you're overweight, losing the extra pounds will help the immune system coming up for our project in 6 months -  to build up our immune system.    Smile

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

EVERY patient that I have worked with this year,who had the flu,had gotten the vaccine

Same here - with one exception, all staff members and patients complaining of flu-like symptoms said they were vaccinated.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 11:13am
I was in the hospital for emergency abdominal surgery around the holidays and a CT Scan showed why I am always catching everything.  Turns out that I don't have a spleen!  Born without one.

They wouldn't discharge me until I got 5 different vaccinations and one was this year's flu vac.

Guest8 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 7:30am
Note that this was only (confirmed) in London and Nordic countries, not the entire hemisphere. This bodes poorly for the upcoming flu season (2017-2018) but all signs in the Americas currently point to an effective vaccine this season. 

This will be a big deal if:

* The upcoming season is predominated by H3N2.

* The upcoming season is predominated by H3N2 and the dominant strain has poor cross-reactivity with the chosen vaccine strain.

* The WHO and general vaccine preparations cannot adapt to this late-season change in the flu status quo.

None of the above are guarantees, but it also doesn't look good. 

Sources:

London: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=22720

Nordic MSEs: http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=22723
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic