Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

March prepping 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March prepping 2017
    Posted: March 01 2017 at 3:35pm
I can't believe it's March already! I did get a few OTC meds last month, but I want to get more this month. I also want to get a few more canned goods. What is everyone else going to work on?
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2017 at 9:44pm
I just found this report from Finland....it outlines everything that we prepare for.  Stunning and disheartening....existential risks.  

These disasters could cause an almost unimaginable loss. They would lead to immediate harm, but in their most extreme forms, they have the potential to wipe out humanity entirely.

CRS, DrPH
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 4:56pm
These disasters could cause an almost unimaginable loss. They would lead to immediate harm, but in their most extreme forms, they have the potential to wipe out humanity entirely.

And wiping out all humans may not be a bad idea! At least we would not have to worry about global warming anymore.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 5:48pm
I'm hoping to start my balcony garden back up again.  just need to figure out how to keep maintenance from killing it this time. Otherwise, otc medicine,  and cat food/litter.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2017 at 12:03pm
I just ordered a few more cases of freeze dried meals and am rotating my canned goods.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2017 at 4:07pm
I do not eat can goods anymore so I have just freeze dry and dehydrated #10 cans of food. Just hope they are ok when needed.

I am going to cover my whole garden with black plastic this spring to kill all of the weeds. Weed cover has broken down and lets the weeds through. I would love to find a weed cover that really works and does not disintegrate over time. So I am trying this to kill the weeds and next year I will plant again.

I have not done much in prepping just feel like I have what I need and if I don't will try and get it last minute, if possible. I hope the people on here that really follow the pandemic stuff will give us maybe one day ahead of other people.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 4:09pm
Great report Chuck, thanks. 

Flumom, that's a great idea to dehydrate as it'll have a much longer shelf life. 

This month I'm sorting through our store room, which is proving to be a bigger job than I thought. I wish I had started it last year, but better late than never.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 7:04pm
My local Ralph's store is having a clearance sale on Duracell batteries with the ten year guarantee. They're discounted from $6.99 to 99 cents, so I snagged about 40 packs, mostly AA and D cells. We have a few LED area lamps that take 8 of the larger batteries, so we're good for those for a while.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 7:10pm
Kiwimum, my dehydrator died last summer! So going with my "worst possible case" I purchased 2 air dry dehydrators. I have not tried them yet but living in very dry Colorado I am sure if I slice items thin enough they will dry. The Native Americans did this for thousands of years so it should work.

I just do not want to depend on electricity. I only dry what I grow mostly herbs and tomatoes. I will try some apples when they are cheap in the fall to see how "dense wet" items dry.   

I may have to get an electric dryer but I hate to give in to modern methods!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 7:25pm
I pretty much live in the clearance section of Ralph's, Jacksdad. I even get clearance meat.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 8:37pm
We have a great clearance section, Hachi. I guess it depends where you live, because I have coworkers who tell me they never see the bargains I do. I get some funny looks sometimes - a shopping cart full of cereal was good for some interesting comments at the checkout. 18 boxes of Cap'n Crunch doesn't last as long as you might expect either, although I did make use of the special offer on one of them to get an awesome T-shirt Big smile

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 8:52pm
Flumom, I gave my dehydrator away because it was really noisy. I found a broken commercial dehydrator at the local dump and took home all the slotted layers, leaving behind the burned out motor. I've got about 8 big round layers that stack on top of each other. I use it for drying mushrooms which grow in our paddocks and just slice them and lay them in the dehydrator and then stand the whole thing on two bricks on top of our woodstove oven. I don't let it touch the stove as the layers are made of plastic. 

I dry apples every year in the bottom warming oven of the stove. I have one of those very cheap apple peeling and coring machines that cut the apple into a spiral. I then cut straight through one side of the peeled and cored spiralled apple and that gives me perfect apple rounds. These I thread onto thin dowelling rods that are the right length to fit across the oven on the racks. I leave the door ajar and about 24 hrs later I have perfect dried apple rings. The peeling machine is fantastic and makes the job so quick. All of this without electricity. I reckon I could dry anything using these two methods. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 8:54pm
I had an awful selection when I used to live in Riverside County, but it feels like every store I go to in Orange County has an amazing selection of stuff. I typically make my beef jerky with my discount meats :). Haha I forgot what Cap'n crunch tastes like. LOL
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 8:58pm
Here's a plan from "Mother Earth News" for a solar food dryer. If you are handy at all it's fairly simple and if not, look for a local handyman.Should be able to pay someone $200-$300 material and labor to build. Would pay for itself in 2-3 years.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/tools/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

Haha I forgot what Cap'n crunch tastes like. LOL

Just as good after 18 boxes, Hachi  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic