Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Ebola-like virus in africa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola-like virus in africa
    Posted: May 06 2017 at 12:52am
So I saw this a couple of days ago and wondered if anything new was here about it, but seems like it isn't on the radar here yet, thought I'd better share!

https://www.rt.com/news/386961-disease-liberia-dead-ebola/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/04/28/a-mysterious-illness-kills-11-young-people-in-liberia-where-ebola-raged/?utm_term=.ef401ba2319b

Ps- sorry my links are janky, doing this on my android and can't seem to get them to work properly.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 11:10am
Thanks for posting, RedTea - nice to see you're still around. You pre-date just about all of us on AFT Thumbs Up

Interesting - first I've heard of this one. Fingers crossed, because that part of the world really doesn't need any more nasty bugs showing up after what they went through with the last outbreak.

Fixed your links BTW Smile

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 2:43pm
i did see it but i think its something they ate......

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
RedTea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 9:13pm
Thanks for fixing up my links, Jacksdad!Yeah, I've been here a long time, never a big poster, but tried to help out in the original avian flu scares that led to this site becoming so big! Nice to check in every now and then to catch up on the real news!

Carbon20, I wondered about that, but never saw anything concrete, and haven't seen anything since. Let's roll with that optimism, though!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 9:39pm
Well all the people affected went to A  funeral,so it's either something they ate or a very nasty bug ,but don't think anymore affected
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 7:22am

Mystery illness in Liberia appears to be meningitis -minister

(The May 8 story clarifies lead, changes with correct name of bacteria Neisseria meningitidis in fourth paragraph)

Medical samples from four of the victims of a disease in Liberia that initially baffled scientists have tested positive for a type of bacteria that causes meningitis, the minister of health said on Monday.

So far a total of 31 cases of the so-called mystery illness have been reported, including 13 deaths in an outbreak linked to the attendance of a religious leader's funeral.

While the symptoms are different from Ebola, the sudden deaths nevertheless stirred anxiety about an outbreak of the tropical illness which was often spread through burial rituals in the West African epidemic that ended less than a year ago.

Seven specimens from the deceased tested positive for Neisseria meningitidis, a particularly contagious strain of bacteria that causes meningitis and other diseases, Dr. Bernice Dahn told reporters on Monday.

"Based on these initial results from the CDC Atlanta (U.S. Center for Disease Control), we believe that we are dealing with a probable outbreak of meningitis in Sinoe, which spread to Montserrado and Grand Bassa counties," she added, while calling for calm.

She said the government was investigating options for mass vaccinations against the illness, characterized by swelling of the membranes in the brain and spinal cord. Further laboratory analysis is under way.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-liberia-idUSKBN18422P
Buy more ammo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic