Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Danger of EMP Attack on U.S. by North Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Danger of EMP Attack on U.S. by North Korea
    Posted: May 28 2017 at 9:42am
http://thephaser.com/2017/05/north-korea-threatens-sniper-emp-attack-on-u-s/

For years Dr. John Ray and I have been discussing how simple it would for a foreign nation to set off an ElectroMagneticPulse Attack on the U.S. Simple dropping a low yield nuclear device form a low altitude satellite somewhere on Western part of the East Coast,  could take out the entire power grid or a great deal of it on the the East Coast and parts of the Midwest.

FoxNews -
In addition, North Korea has at least two observation or weather satellites whose orbits take them routinely over the U.S., at precisely the altitude that is ideal for an EMP attack.

I have discussed this with the Department of Energy and at one time actually was developing ways to deal with a nationwide power shutdown in my company at Crystalware Defense and Technology. I was told we had less than 3 years before the national power grid would fail simply because of the increased volume of information it must handle.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/08/03/story5.html

Now - after the new administration killed the funding and our Synchro Phaser project to handle this, our Grid is more vulnerable than ever. I personally talked to people who told me we are moving to put much of our electronics underground and also was looking into Faraday cage technology. Some is already implemented to shield military devices from an EMP.

This is another "not if but when" and now that North Korea has threatened to do one - it is being ignored.

What does it look like when it happens? Well Tom Cruise shows us in World of the Worlds.

It will be too late and it will shut down the net, wipe out many electronics in cars, and communication. We need to prepare for this in all ways and we need to get back into researching the technology to strengthen our grid. We are ready anytime.

Medclinician - John Bell CEO - CDN

https://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Blu-ray-Tom-Cruise/dp/B003BJO8KU

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 3:56pm
Bet most people never heard of " Faraday"

What a great great man from humble beginnings,HE is a good example for FREE EDUCATION,for everyone...
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.đź––

Marcus Aurelius
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 6:08pm
So will my "electronic lock" on my safe work or not if we get an EMP?
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2017 at 9:00pm
Probably not,unless it's a Faraday Cage....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.đź––

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 3:24am
The lock itself would need to be protected by the faraday cage.  Hopefully this is in the specifications that came with the safe.  You could put the whole thing inside one.  It would also need to have an extant electricity supply; so the question arises: "Is it battery operated, because the mains will be gone?)

The degree of electronic protection would be costly.  Manual stuff would be better.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 8:03am
All electronic safes are battery operated.  And when the batteries go out, there is also a small hidden key and / or a way to bypass it.    I've owned numerous safes, and they all appear to operate the same.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 9:41am
It is likely that "90% of the population would die  within the first 12-24 months if the entire grid were to go down". Most of those not prepped or ready would perish due to many causes with the collapse of the infrastructure and food production as well as both the power grid, the Internet and functioning of our smart phones and related towers. The irony is that the effect would be close to an all out nuclear exchange in some ways.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 9:59am
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/emp-electro-magnetic-pulse/suspect-super-emp-orbit-over-united-states/

Given the recent nuclear threats from North Korea directed at the United States, the satellite orbital map shown above indicates the track of the KMS 3-2 “satellite” this week from APR 8 – APR 16, which coincidentally just so happens to orbit along the eastern half of the U.S.

Some believe or suspect that this “satellite” may actually be a Super-EMP nuclear device…

No one knows for sure of course, but people like Dr. Peter Vincent Pry with credentials from the USAF Weapons Laboratory believes that North Korea indeed may have the capability or may even posses Super-EMP nuclear weapons.

On December 12, 2012, the Kwangmyongsong 3-2 (KMS 3-2) was launched into space on a polar orbit, and is said to be an “Earth observation satellite”. The satellite was not placed perfectly and is evidently tumbling every 17 seconds while it orbits the earth. From an EMP nuclear weapon perspective, the tumbling is apparently irrelevant.

The altitude of orbit is approximately 500 km, or about 300 miles, the perfect altitude for EMP detonation for maximum range and damage. Coincidence?

comment: very suspicious and disturbing. All the data concerning the necessity of high tech missiles delivering a nuclear device become unimportant when one could be delivered by the detonation of a large nuclear warhead during its pass over New York or other city. Look at the critical area this satellite passes over.

Medclinician

DeepThinker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepThinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 1:20pm
I seriously doubt that personal electronics would be effected by an emp.... that being said without outside data connections/power those devices won't be useful for very long.   The power-grid and those devices directly plugged into it will feel the vast majority of the effect.   You need some time of antenna to capture the pulse and magnify it, so anything connected to very long wire runs will be fried but those not connected will probably be okay.

I am only talking about a small nuclear detonation from a rouge nation....   However a coordinated attack from the superpowers or the Sun going berserk might yield different results.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 1:58pm
A lot going around on the GoTenna

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/no-network-device-will-get-texts-through-no-matter-what-180952267/
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 5:06pm
That's my understanding of a Faraday cage, any circuitry outside will be fried by an EMP

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 7:35pm
Frankly, I don't give much credence to the concept of the bad guys using a precious nuke for an EMP attack. 

The Russians or Chinese, of course, are masters of this, and they have nukes to burn.  But North Korea or non-state actors?  Nukes are precious and few, and I believe they would attempt to kill as many Americans as possible without risking a warhead in a risky mid-air explosion that might or might not work. 

Forget the ICBM, all they have to do is bring one into a harbor in a pleasure craft or shrimp boat and it is bedtime for Bonzo.   Taking out a single major US city would likely destroy the US as a leading nation, from the analysis I've read.  
CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 2:29am
In the movie "sum of all fears" the bomb was in a coke machine at a football match.....

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 7:32am
My Favorite Film!!
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 3:05pm
its one of mine along with "12 MONKYES" and  "TERMINATOR 2 "(rise of the machines) 

watched a really good series on Netflix called "The  100"   about surviving a Nucular war  and A.I."s

very apt when you see who won at GO........scary,

oh and "Star Trek the Movie" the very first one with VIGER.........

THE MACHINES   ARE COMING..........

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 3:42pm
The scariest of all is still the short story: "The Marching Morons" by Cyril M Kornbluth.  I dream of  someone turning that into a movie one day  (no Idiocracy missed the point).  Sadly, I can't see it though, as there are no car chases, no sex, no gore (and the rising tide of those who march can't live without the tittilation of those, and without them cannot invisage any horror).  

Nevertheless, it is still, by far, the scariest story ever told - because I am watching it slowly, inexorably unfold all around.  No terminators, Cthulu worshipers, aliens, AI, zombies, climate change, vampires, slashers, mad scientists, nuclear exchanges or deadly viral outbreaks can rival that for juggernaut inevitability. - Not even the next post from Rizshat.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 5:23pm
Just read the plot,would be very politically incorrectto say some people are less intelligent than others, even thoughthis is the case,ie inbreeding in the UK

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

Frankly, I don't give much credence to the concept of the bad guys using a precious nuke for an EMP attack. 

The Russians or Chinese, of course, are masters of this, and they have nukes to burn.  But North Korea or non-state actors?  Nukes are precious and few, and I believe they would attempt to kill as many Americans as possible without risking a warhead in a risky mid-air explosion that might or might not work. 

Forget the ICBM, all they have to do is bring one into a harbor in a pleasure craft or shrimp boat and it is bedtime for Bonzo.   Taking out a single major US city would likely destroy the US as a leading nation, from the analysis I've read.  

I've never replied to my own post before, but this is worth it!  

In principle, even a new nuclear proliferator could execute such a strike. In practice, however, it seems unlikely that such a state would use one of its scarce warheads to inflict damage which must be considered secondary to the primary effects of blast, shock, and thermal pulse. Furthermore, a HEMP attack must use a relatively large warhead to be effective (perhaps on the order of one megaton), and new proliferators are unlikely to be able to construct such a device, much less make it small enough to be lofted to high altitude by a ballistic missile or space launcher.”

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 10:41pm
posted for informational purposes only

LOL At EMPs? Science Report Tackles Likelihood Of A North Korea Nuclear Capability

http://www.npr.org/sections/ombudsman/2017/05/30/530262884/lol-at-emps-science-report-tackles-likelihood-of-a-north-korea-nuclear-capabilit

personally speaking I don't think NK is much of a threat in the EMP department now

that could change a few years from now

China and Russia ?

definite threats

a nuclear attack would likely be preceded by the use of EMP

biggest threat of all?

solar flare

the grid does need to be hardened

to ignore the threat is irresponsible to say the least

its merely a matter of time before the sun fries us

eg the Carrington Event

and the Charlemagne Event

tick tock

“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 2:34pm
i read a short SF story once about a astronaught who  was on the moon at the time of a Sun EMP.

he was shield from the EMP  by the earth, he took off from the moon, 

landed on a  steralized  wiped clean earth,wondered what to do ????

he got out of his ship, thought for a moment then .....

took off his helmet and said .....

LET THERE BE LIFE .......

think about that one !!!!!!!

Marcus Aurelius
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2017 at 6:26pm
Hey guys something is going to get us that is why we prep. Does it really matter. I have tried to stock what I need for most disasters but I may not have what I need when TSHTF. Better not worry if NK or the sun hits us with an EMP. I just purchased more KI in case the little fat kid hits CA with a nuke it will drift east.

Like I say Prep On!
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 10:24am
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/06/10/north-korea-could-reportedly-wreak-havoc-with-high-altitude-nuclear-blast.html

A former U.S. ambassador wrote an op-ed in The Wall Street Journal Friday warning that North Korea’s nuclear threat is not limited to a bomb striking a U.S. city.

A nuclear bomb that detonates 40 miles above a target (and hundreds of miles away) could deliver serious consequences, Henry F. Cooper, who was the director of the Strategic Defense initiative under President George H.W. Bush, wrote.

He pointed to the time the U.S. detonated nuclear warhead 900 miles southwest of Hawaii. It was 1962 and the high-altitude nuclear bomb “destroyed hundreds of street lights in Honolulu, caused electrical surges on airplanes in the area and damaged at least six satellites.”

Russian generals reported back in 2004 that North Korea has in its possession the designs for these so-called “super EMP nuclear weapons,” th op-ed said. At around that time, Congress put together a commission to study such an explosion, and determined that there would be no effects on the ground, but the high-altitude electromagnetic pulse would render “critical electricity-dependent infrastructure” inoperable.

The op-ed raises questions about whether or not North Korea ran a “dry run” recently, when a medium-range missile reportedly exploded midflight in what was seen as a failure. The article questions if the missile was deliberately detonated.

comment: When the microcomputer was born in the late 70s, we had a very hard time getting IBM to take us seriously.  Bill Gates didn't and that is now history. An EMP attack and a power grid failure would put the U.S. or at least the East Coast which would create problems all across the U.S. in chaos. 

Despite a lot of grumbling and military exercises, there is little doubt that at any time, Kim Jong-un could send a signal to a satellite that passes directly over New York and the East Coast and if it was packed with a nuclear warhead there is no need to even fire a missile. No target - just timing and down goes the grid.

It has been said the fear of a Pandemic could do more harm and kill more people than the Pandemic. The Anarchy situation and a heavily armed U.S. population in a blackout for not days - but many months would take down the government and make us vulnerable to more attacks.

This is a lot more than flipping a light switch and replacing the bulb when it flickers and dies. It won't be coming back on for maybe up to a year.

New York has fared badly even in short blackouts and law enforcement and military is not well enough prepared to deal with what would happen. They would withdraw and not send people into the heart of looting and violence.

The overall psychology in Silicon Valley and most places as to a nuclear attack is why prepare? Within minutes the roads would be blocked, few have more than a week or so of food, and probably the best armed and skilled with using their weapons are the outlaws except for a handful of veterans and active duty military.

Who would feel it the most?  The poor. Already struggling to survive in the inner cities in gangland there would be no one to stop gangs who would go house to house looting and regroup.  It is not likely that inner city packs would venture into the "wilderness" or outside the cities because they would be very vulnerable there to rifle packing southerners and other survivalists who did what most of America didn't - prepare.

My advice?   Prepare. Stock food and water and weapons (a per legal - and I must say that).

The reality is that if they nuke North Korea clouds of it is going to drift to China, Japan, and Russia and eventually to us. No winners in this. Just a lot of radioactivity and fallout and it does travel all around the world.

Medclinician

Beyond the jokes and not taking this seriously this is one of the greatest current threats to America today and in the future. It would threaten the lives of over 90% of the population many of whom would die from the collapse of the infrastructure which relies on the net and the grid.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 1:55pm
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/07/04/north-korea-react-but-with-extreme-caution-mr-trump.html

If only for a day, Fox appears to be focusing on "The Real News" which effects America and also the rest of the world significantly.

As Dr. John and I have discussed many times, North Korea may be in a position to launch an EMP attack from one of their satellites which goes right over a key target point. We had figured out exactly where and how high the burst would have to be to really put a wham on the East Coast Grid and shut down New York, D.C. and also this effect would ripple across the U.S. by shutting down other key communication centers.

It only takes one megalomaniac a few minutes to order the drop of a nuclear warhead which may already be up there. Once again, I would like to remind all who read what I am posting, we are still willing to help fortify the power grid and give you solutions to make our country safer. We tried once but someone did not steal the tech - they killed the project.

This needs to be addressed. I have written an e-mail to our Commander in Chief and have offered our services. I hope it gets read. We may be old, but are not dead and the tech could definitely prevent a lot of damage.

John Bell - CDN

now - the problem

While the most-discussed nightmare scenario is a nuclear-tipped ICBM, an equally horrifying possibility is that North Korea has developed, and uses, a so-called super electromagnetic pulse weapon -- EMP – that could potentially take out America’s electric grid. “We know that North Korea got the design plans for an EMP from Russia years ago,” says Frank Gaffney, a former assistant secretary of defense under Ronald Reagan. “If they have one, they could take us, overnight, from the world’s only superpower to a pre-industrial society. Everything we need to live today depends on electricity.”

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 8:18am
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/05/millions-american-lives-could-be-at-stake-as-north-korea-threatens-to-attack-power-grid.html

"North Korea may very well have the ability to kill millions of Americans, without directly firing on U.S. soil. For the first time, the pariah country’s state news agency warned it could hit the U.S. with an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) onslaught, a threat that experts contend is both very real and comes with catastrophic consequences.
“The biggest danger would be shorting out of the power grid, especially on the East Coast. Imagine a situation where large sections of the U.S. had no power. Imagine New York or Washington D.C. with no power for just a week. The implications would be hard to fathom,” Harry Kazianis, Director of Defense Studies at the Center for the National Interest, told Fox News. “The casualty rates would be off the charts.”

I have posted this several times and the threat remains as great as ever for North Korea to lob a nuclear bomb from a satellite which passes directly over Washington D.C. and a place to the east as  computed by Dr. John Ray and I as a key detonation spot high in air which would shut down most of the Eastern power grid.

So how could North Korea pull off an EMP attack? A hydrogen bomb detonated at a high altitude would create an electromagnetic pulse that would knock out key infrastructure – namely prominent parts of the U.S. electrical grid.

The higher the bomb’s detonation, the wider the range of destruction. An altitude of just under 250 miles – around the orbit of the International Space Station – would annihilate electronics in majority of the mainland, including parts of neighboring Canada and Mexico, analysts have said. North Korea exhibited its capacity to reach such altitudes in satellite launches in both 2012 and 2016.

comment: It seems rather pointless to launch a high trajectory ICBM missile attack on the U.S. when it likely be shot down.  It would be much more viable to launch one from a submarine off the coast of California or from a barge or fishing boat in the New York harbor. I have been predicting this for the last 30 years.

The grid is still not safe though we tried, my company and engineers and did create technology to protect it which was rejected as the Phaser Initiative was deprived of funding during the Barack Obama years. We continue to offer our services and technology to protect America and except for being monitored constantly in every way imaginable, cannot get the funding or interest to do so.

I was told 7 years old the grid was going to fail in 2 years. We are long overdue. A grid shutdown would be the ideal time for any of our enemies to launch a strike or for rogue states terrorists to come out of mole status and set off a nuclear device in a large city.

So, as we continue to watch, it is with great sadness - to change what we could, accept what we could not get funding for- and the wisdom to know the difference. We still could make a difference - but time is running out. 

My final point - North Korea does not need to further develop re-entry technology to do this. It can be done now from a missile launched and detonated more than 200 miles up and could wipe out most of the power grid in North America.

Medclinician

https://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Tom-Cruise/dp/B00005JNTI

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 7:19pm
I'm not as worried about an EMP attack as I am about a bioterror/chemical weapons attack on some of our crowded cities.  Much easier to pull off, and NK has those capabilities. 

I'm not terribly wigged about Kim's ICBMs, he knows that if he landed a lucky punch on us, it would be curtains.  Fire & Fury, remember? 

Mostly, I think he wants attention on the world stage.  He's sure getting it. 
CRS, DrPH
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 5:37am
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

I'm not as worried about an EMP attack as I am about a bioterror/chemical weapons attack on some of our crowded cities.  Much easier to pull off, and NK has those capabilities. 

I'm not terribly wigged about Kim's ICBMs, he knows that if he landed a lucky punch on us, it would be curtains.  Fire & Fury, remember? 

Mostly, I think he wants attention on the world stage.  He's sure getting it. 

I agree with you. We could not retaliate against bioweapons and North Korea has been swapping tubes with Pakistan for years.

It probably still two apes waving bones in the air and Kim Jong Un is not insane. With his advantage to take out Seoul he could have wiped them out years ago. I personally think the nuclear technology is being developed to sell to highest bidder and Iran was at the last and they will keep NK funded no matter what sanctions are in place.

There are a large number of viruses developed - designer viruses i.e. a Hanta virus I know of - which could effectively take out the U.S.

It is all about money. Blowing up Wall Street or eliminating all their customers is not an option either Russia or China can afford.

The problem with a virus is controlling it.  If they have millions of vaccines for it and vaccinate their people and then release it, they would have The Stand - a country untouched all its resources in place, ready for occupation with no one to defend it.

Now that - is scary.

Medclinician
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 6:10pm
Hey CRS,DrPH, any advice on gas mask for bio/nuke attack make/model and what filter cartridges do I need? I have held off on getting gas masks because I am insecure about getting the right one and the right cartridges. I want to stay under 250.00 per mask. One for me one for my son.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Hey CRS,DrPH, any advice on gas mask for bio/nuke attack make/model and what filter cartridges do I need? I have held off on getting gas masks because I am insecure about getting the right one and the right cartridges. I want to stay under 250.00 per mask. One for me one for my son.

Hi FluMom!  The thing about masks is that they are not really "once size fits all" in terms of application.  

In a nuke attack, your primary concern will be exposure to ionizing radiation (pretty unlikely that you'll be at Ground Zero of a warhead blast), and secondary effects of a nuke include fallout, which can be avoided largely by sheltering in place.  If a nuke goes off, you won't want to be running around outside, so stock your shelter space! 

As far as other applications, I also caution that the likelihood of any attack impacting each of us is really low (lottery-winning probability).  A bio attack is likely to be modeled more on what's worked in the past = anthrax spores in mail (Amerithrax attack in 2001).  NK or other actors don't have the massive biowarfare capabilities of the old Soviet Union, although they certainly have some material stockpiled. 

If we are attacked, the biggest threat to any of us on AFT is, quite honestly, "terror."  Remember how screwed up we were after 9/11?  The impact of terror on society far outweighs the morbidity and mortality of the event.  

A better investment is to make sure you have up-to-date communication equipment (NOAA weather radio) bug-out bag with necessary medications, ammo etc.  Masks are pretty much for the first responders, and the good ones are expensive.  They also have expiration dates, so you have to keep buying them!! 

We'll be OK.  Stay out of the way of hurricanes this week!!  Best, Chuck (in Washington DC this week, meeting with like-minded folks).

CRS, DrPH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic