Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Terrorist Attack London- Again?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrorist Attack London- Again?
    Posted: June 13 2017 at 11:06pm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4601902/Huge-inferno-West-London-tower-block.html

Breaking news - tower in flames -

One panicked resident wrote on Twitter: 'I'm stuck in this block!!! Can't leave my house because I'll die from the smoke'

'Cover your mouth with a wet towel,' they yelled. 'Don't panic. It started on the fourth floor or something. There are people in their windows, putting their heads out.' 

An eye witness said: 'There are about 15 fire engines but are struggling to get in and out because there is just one narrow road in and one narrow road out.'  

Another added: 'Sirens flying up and down the road and police helicopter hovering for nearly 2 hours has been the noise tonight. Terrible.'

Tim Donwie wrote: 'Raging fire near Latimer Road. Whole block of 24 floors up in flames. People still trapped inside. Horrendous.'

Medclinician

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 11:22pm
Live broadcast

Medclinician

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 2:30am
I doubt it's terrorism, Med - at least from what I'm seeing and reading on the internet. The Daily Mail article you linked to blames it on a possible faulty fridge. Looks more like a tragic accident, and at a time when the Fire Service budget had been severely cut by the conservative government of Teresa May, with over 10,000 firefighters axed in recent years.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 3:39am
Looks like the refurbishment was to blame for spread of fire,the plastic cladding burnt like paper one witness said,there was also gas pipes put in the stairwell,as part of refurbishment
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 8:55am
JD- Why pay firefighters when the wealthy need more tax cuts? We have to get our priorities strait!
Buy more ammo!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 10:29am
Currently the death toll is 12.  The official line is:  "That is expected to rise."

I have done nothing but watch this unfold all day.  It appears to be a perfect storm:

The building had just been refurbished with plastic cladding to insulate it and to keep it dry.  The cladding had an air gap behind it.  Putting the pieces together, it appears that this combination acted as a venturi, funneling the fire upwards incredibly quickly.

The fire advice to residents was to stay in their homes if a fire broke out.  The fire doors were expected to protect people until the emergency services arrived.  That seemed to be based on the idea that any fire would climb up inside the building - via the stairwell.  The building was originally concrete outside.  It did not take into consideration the plastic cladding which had just been added and the acceleration of its 'handy little chimney' gap.

As if that were not enough.  The fire broke out at about 1 in the morning.  Most people were asleep.

The fire started in a residents flat - not terrorism - fairly low down, on the fourth floor.  The resident whose flat the fire broke out in told this to his neighbor, whom he woke and evacuated.  He said his fridge exploded!  Apparently there had been many power surges in the building recently.

Apparently the fire alarm either did not go off, or was inaudible (same difference) as well.

The flats were home to about 600 people.  I think we can say the death toll will rise - dramatically.

Horrifically, we do not need terrorism to wipe out whole populations.  Apparently the residents had been unsuccessfully campaigning to improve the fire safety of the building.  Tragically, no one was listening.

I am inclined to agree with Arirish on this one.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 11:11am
Dear God! If the cladding was PVC, burning it created hydrogen chloride which added to the moisture in the throat and lungs makes hydrochloric acid! What a horrible way to die!
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

JD- Why pay firefighters when the wealthy need more tax cuts? We have to get our priorities strait!

Sad to think that there are politicians and lawmakers that apparently feel that way.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 1:55pm
Which is no excuse to go around shooting people, as in Virginia.

What a filthy mess our world is in!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 5:02pm
20 dead at last count and: "Expected to rise substantially."
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 3:42am
Well, this morning, they have revised the death toll DOWNWARD to 17 so far.  That (reading between the lines) are just those who jumped to their deaths.  Hundreds more are expected but there are not even reliable lists of residents!

The insulation turns out to have been polyeruethane  foam with a coating of aluminum on the outer side, something like this:

|              |             |          |                  |   Aluminium burns fantastically hotly if an igniter is used.
| building | air gap | foam | aluminium |.  That is a pretty good plan for building a rocket motor.
|              |             |          |                  |   They could have turned it into thermite if the aluminium was powdered.                

The locals are starting to get very angry.  This was the same insulation which was used on the tower block that went up so spectacularly in Dubai and in several other grand fires.

I have just watched a very erudite and expressive Muslim lady raging on screen about the avoidable deaths and how long it took for the bulk of the emergency services to arrive and the inappropriate emergency advice given out.  She recorded everything on her phone, with time stamps.  That might turn out to be particularily damming for some people.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

What a filthy mess our world is in!

I'm never too impressed with the state of the world - the human part anyway - but of late, I've become particularly exasperated at the monumental mess we seem to be making of things.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 11:21am
Once again, your yessman mirrors your feelings, JD.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 11:40am
"I'm never too impressed with the state of the world - the human part anyway - but of late, I've become particularly exasperated at the monumental mess we seem to be making of things."

well if Guy McPherson is correct
it will ALL be over soon enough
or the human race will be LOL
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
littlesmile View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 1:27am

I can see this getting out of hand very soon. People are very angry! The police force is very heavy around the area and around hospitals. Over 30 police around the Mayor of London when he spoke to the people and the prime minister is yet to talk to them. My guess is she won't as its too dangerous.

They are trying to hide the fact that around 150 are dead and around 50 are children. No wonder people are angry! Lily Allen (the singer) talked to the news and confirmed that it was getting down played. The media wouldn't broadcast it but you can find it online.

I can see riots soon. People are very angery and do not trust the 'rich' and the media.
littlesmile View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 8:43am

Protests are starting!
On BBC news..
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 12:24pm
There have been two, NOT ONE - TWO, separate protests in London, and, in a third incident, an angry mob tried to storm the local Council offices.

The people are VERY angry.  They have every right to be!

The cladding had been proven unsafe: it was instrumental in several massive fires in other parts of the world.  "Lessons will be learned." lied the authorities.

The residents knew their building was unsafe but had nowhere else to go.  Their pleas went unheeded.  They were poor folk after all.  They knew they were considered unimportant, they just did not know how much.

The emergency advice was wrong.

The emergency equipment was faulty.

There were no sprinklers.

There were no fire escapes.

There were no contingency plans.

The death-toll is still unknown, though it is estimated to be over 87, and the bodies are so badly burned they may never be identified.

There has been an outpouring of help from the local community, even the very poor thereof - the borough has a mixture of very rich and very poor.  They have donated food, medicines, baby supplies, money, clothes, the use of  rooms in their own private houses and the free use of hotel rooms.  Muslims took donations to the church, Christians to the Mosque, whichever was nearer.  From the Council - nothing yet, not even a reasonable estimate of the death toll, just a litany of excuses like: "All appropriate safety measures were adhered to."  I would call them names, if I could think of any bad enough.

The calousness of the Council and the housing association is monumental.  There is a saying "Heads will roll" I only wish that were actual, not metaphorical.  Never before have I seen it so well deserved, at least not since Hitler or Stalin.

Even the emergency services, who were on the scene within 6 minutes, could not get their equipment right up to the building because of road design.  They were so out of their depth they were having to chose whom to save.  As if the fire itself was not enough to breed nightmares.

They were not worthless, just because they were council tenants.  They were people: people who burned or suffocated to death, or jumped from up to 22 floors up.  (The three seconds of terror as they fell was preferable to the agony of burning.)

I think the whole country is enraged.  Had hubby and I lived in England, we would be sitting on the pavement in London with the other protestors.  This was so deeply wrong!

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 4:06pm
TO THINK THIS IS 2017.............

anyone would think horrors like would be confined to the 18th century,

corrupt officials, over crowding, buildings that have long since passed their use by dates,

unemployment

last time i was back in the UK i was saddened by the decay,

not the  England i grew up in,

but nowhere is like it was 50 years ago...................
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 4:44pm
'And yet we are the 6th richest country in the world.

Corruption, greed, gangs, dishonesty, drugs: Our inner cities are ghastly.  Out here in "the wilds" it is lovely.  Full healthcare, no housing shortage, pleasant (distant) neighbors, some minor poverty but nothing life threatening or massively slanted away from the fair.  

I think overpopulation/overcrowding are to blame for most of the rest.  We are seriously overpopulated and when there are that many people around, they seem to lose their value to each other.   This tiny island has nearly 70 million inhabitants.  Scotland covers about 1/3 of the island and only has 5 million.  Wales covers about 1/4 and is almost as empty.  That means the rest is seriously stuffed, a bit like India and just as squalid.

To accentuate the horrors of the inferno, Kensington - the borough in which the tower block and its relatives housed the poor and unwanted - is the richest borough in the UK.  Most of the disenfranchised accepted this with grace......................  Up until now.  Now they are angry  no, livid  no, bloody enraged!
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2017 at 9:57pm
To add insult to injury, the estate where the fire was was among the poorest 10% in all the country, while the general area is one of the richest in the country.  Disparity.

On a different note: I looked at some of the clips of the Queen visiting the area and was shocked by how frail she looked.  There were some lovely pictures of the Queen dressed in blue talking to an old lady in a blue saree.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 7:35am
Yes, she is getting on in years.  The poor woman believes it her duty to work till she is stopped by ill health.  

That is why I am a republican (British meaning).  I do not think it fair to keep intelligent creatures in captivity.  Ok so it is the epitome of gilded cages.  It is still a cage.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 4:35pm
i have great respect for The Queen,

however, when she Pops off this mortal coil ,

Australia should become a republic.......

well thats what i used to think then ....

Chump came along................

(p.s yes i like the cadge idea)

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 4:54pm
Putting Trump in a gilded cage..................... Hmm................................ What a nice idea.  

No, on reflection, I think he was born there.  (he had to beg a million off of his dad to get started.  Nice to belong to a family that thinks a million is a small amount.)  Nice idea though.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 8:28am
There was bound to be a turn around. This is the fault of the Muslim Extremists and the hatred generated attack after attack.

Medclinician

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Medclinician Medclinician wrote:

There was bound to be a turn around. This is the fault of the Muslim Extremists and the hatred generated attack after attack.

Medclinician

Or a maniac in a van intent on killing people because of their religion.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 4:24am
Two wrongs do not make a right.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Two wrongs do not make a right.

I think the bottom line here is whether any of the attacks were directly linked to an organization versus the act of one crazy person.

The last attack may have been linked someone, but it is just as likely it was Isis, because this did them a world of good stirring up the Muslim in London to carry out more strikes.

Christians - especially Catholics may have a history of massive violence in spreading their religion equal to the Muslims in spreading theirs. Actually the taking of the "Holy Lands" by the Jewish people and wiping out the people living has started a 3,000 year conflict with the original people, like the American Indians versus the White Man who took their land and slaughtered them.

Yet currently, we don't have Christian's exploding themselves in public places, setting off bombs or releasing poison gas in subways to promote their religion. The Muslim Extremists do, and have also become extremely savvy in hacking and electronics.

London is a crossroads for the U.K. and New York is for the East Coast. Even in World War II with the blitzkrieg
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/blitz.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg

This was the beginning of the Blitz - a period of intense bombing of London and other cities that continued until the following May. For the next consecutive 57 days, London was bombed either during the day or night. Fires consumed many portions of the city. Residents sought shelter wherever they could find it - many fleeing to the Underground stations that sheltered as many as 177,000 people during the night.

London is a key location not only for propaganda but of what could be the worst attacks and is currently a hotbed for more incidents.

There is a pattern here and it will continue with more problems and more deaths. It is literally impossible to monitor all the people well enough to stop these attacks. No matter how much spying is done on the Internet, on cell phones, or what monitoring is done, lone wolf attacks cannot be stopped and will continue around the world.

The bottom line, once again, is whether these attacks - like in Paris - are linked to Isis or Al Queda - which are now in the process of trying to unite.  This won't be the last of it. There will be more.

Medclinician

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 11:19am
Darren Osborne was radicalized by far right groups like the EDL and Britain First on social media, specifically Twitter. Their online rhetoric changed a 47 year old father of four into a killer in the same way that lone wolf attackers here and abroad are turned by ISIS to commit heinous acts of violence on innocents. This wasn't ISIS - this was right wing ideology fanned by hate speech, and thriving on fear of immigrants.

Here's a thought - you're more likely to be shot by a toddler in US than killed by a terrorist. These groups want you to be scared in order for their agenda to succeed. It's up to us to decide whether we help them achieve their goal, or give them the collective middle finger.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 11:39am
Image result for middle finger
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 11:51am
LOL
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 11:56am
Something I think ought to be pointed out: whenever there is a massacre of the innocents, this is immediately blamed on "far right" factions in Britain, as Britain tends to be slightly left-wing.  So I would like to point out that the far right, throughout history, have killed far less than the far left.  

Hitler was the leader of the National SOCIALIST party of Germany - supposedly extreme right but in fact extreme left.  From the point in a circle on which all political parties are marked, the Nazis were at the point where the extreme Right and extreme Left meet. His party was responsible for the killing of six million people, some of whom were my relatives.  Not counting those killed by military action.

Stalin, supposedly extreme left, also came from the point where left and right rub up against one another.  His regime was responsible for the deaths of 60 million people, again not including military action deaths.  Christianity, Judaeism and Islam, as well as the major Pagan denominations, as religious organisation, that extol peace and love, in their early conception wiped out a roughly equal quantity.  OOPS!  

Now perhaps we can stop all thinking of racisim and start wondering what is wrong with us as a global civilization.

Maybe the animal we call human needs to grow up and evolve a little more.
I like Ike
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 1:31am
Originally posted by WillobyBrat WillobyBrat wrote:

Maybe the animal we call human needs to grow up and evolve a little more.

I'm sure if the others species sharing this ball of rock could speak, they'd echo your sentiments.

And don't forget Mao Zedong's "Great Leap Forward", and the tens of millions that died as a result.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 2:52am
Year zero,pol pot

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic