Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

North Korea must be stopped

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 6:59am
https://sputniknews.com/columnists/201708111056391183-is-north-korea-showing-emperor-is-naked/

-Trump needs a "good crisis" to become "presidential" in the US.

-NK needs to claim nuclear weapons to avoid the "Libya, Syria, Iraq scenario".

-China and Russia gain by this crisis, South Korea and Germany do not want to pay a high price for a US crisis !
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 8:14am
All three points you make are valid, correct and to the point, Dutch Josh.  But, the same as "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you", that does not limit the risk from NK much.

I am hoping Trump will stand up to KJU, not because it is right (which I believe it to be) nor because it is politically necessary (which I also believe) but because he wants to be proven the bigger power.  Doing it for the wrong reasons does not stop it being the right thing to do.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 12:28pm
Technophobe, KJU is a cruel dictator, NK has concentrationcamps, human rights are not respected, people are starving there from time to time. I would not want to live there-I was lucky not to be born there....

The world is full of dictators. If replacing them would bring something better great ! But IS, Taliban, Red Kmehr, (to go back in time, one could even include hitler in that list-just like al bagdhadi-IS leader, a puppet working for an elite) is worse. 

Replacing KJU by chaos means China moving in. 

What do you want Trump to do ? Cruisemissiles on (14 !!!) nuclear installations in NK does not sound good. Those missiles on "lines of communications" railwaybridges, radar etc ? 

Russia and China most likely will shoot missiles out of the sky-when they can. 
-1 To show they can (like Russia showed in Syria)
-2 To de-escalate, trying to stop NK from doing something they might regret
-3 To try to control the US from unwise actions

And then what ? 

The Chinese alternative sounds better. Negotiations till you drop. In my opinion a re-united Korea, neutral, would be welcome to bring stability to the East Asia-region.  With its 76 million people living there it would be on the crossroads of Russia, China, Japan-and thereby the US. 

Russia and China will not accept a pro-US regime change in NK. When the US is willing to take some steps back, de-escalate-talks are possible. 

Both Trump and KJU may need this crisis to show "leadership". China is playing a double game-selling military hardware to NK, allowing transport of weaponsales (to a.o. Iran) of NK via China. China still-most likely is buying coal from NK.  But it is not in China's interest to go for regimechange in NK-it is the US that wants that. 

At the end it is not about NK but the US against Russia-Iran-China. Do not expect them to work with the US. 

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 1:09pm
I think I actually do.  Not that I want to see such death and horror, but I believe it is coming, whether or not Trump does anything aggressive and the sooner it comes the less dreadful it will be.

There is a slim chance (very, very slim indeed) that a political/diplomatic solution can be found; something on the lines of Chuck's strategy, but unless China knows that the American gunboat diplomacy really has said boats behind it - and therefore backs the American/winning side, that is profoundly unlikely.  Just because we want to avoid war, does not mean we can.  Sadly, the world is only that nice in our dreams.  Pretending it can be otherwise may postpone the crisis, but it will deepen it too.  KJU is going to continue amassing weapons for so long as he can.  China can stop him but will not do so in the current political climate.  We in the west therefore have two choices, neither of them good.

Choice one: play ostrich and have a few more good years before KJU thinks he has enough power to take South Korea and Guam.  This will be catastrophic!

Choice two:  show we mean business strongly enough that either China or his own generals stop KJU.  China will not stop NK until it is the best option for their business strategy.  We need to be the authors of this change in political climate ........................ and it has to be a massive one.  'And if we fail, then at least the war will be less destructive than the one outlined in the first option would have been.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 8:13am
https://southfront.org/nyt-shocking-report-us-ally-ukraine-source-north-korean-missile-engines/

When the US State Department supported Ukraine domestic forces and nationalist elements to stage a successful and deadly coup against then pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych in 2014, the outcome was supposed to be a nation that is a undisputed US ally and persistent threat, distraction and non-NATO opponent to bordering Russia. Instead, it now appears that it has been Ukraine which was, as the NYT writes, the secret behind the success of North Korea’s ballistic missile program.

Specifically, in a blockbuster report this morning, the NYT alleges that North Korea has been making black-market purchases of powerful rocket engines from a Ukrainian factory citing “expert analysis being published Monday and classified assessments by American intelligence agencies.”

~Albert Einstein
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

I think I actually do.  Not that I want to see such death and horror, but I believe it is coming, whether or not Trump does anything aggressive and the sooner it comes the less dreadful it will be.

There is a slim chance (very, very slim indeed) that a political/diplomatic solution can be found; something on the lines of Chuck's strategy, but unless China knows that the American gunboat diplomacy really has said boats behind it - and therefore backs the American/winning side, that is profoundly unlikely.  Just because we want to avoid war, does not mean we can.  Sadly, the world is only that nice in our dreams.  Pretending it can be otherwise may postpone the crisis, but it will deepen it too.  KJU is going to continue amassing weapons for so long as he can.  China can stop him but will not do so in the current political climate.  We in the west therefore have two choices, neither of them good.

Choice one: play ostrich and have a few more good years before KJU thinks he has enough power to take South Korea and Guam.  This will be catastrophic!

Choice two:  show we mean business strongly enough that either China or his own generals stop KJU.  China will not stop NK until it is the best option for their business strategy.  We need to be the authors of this change in political climate ........................ and it has to be a massive one.  'And if we fail, then at least the war will be less destructive than the one outlined in the first option would have been.

I have a lot of respect for many of the posters here and have for years yet we are nearing a final countdown.  Kim Jong-un was briefed in preparation for a strike on Guam, he has gone into hiding and it is set for tomorrow - a celebration of freedom from Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Liberation_Day_of_Korea

We are getting mixed reports as to whether they can hit the target but frankly - it doesn't matter. They don't have to hit the target. It is very simple. If they launch a missile tomorrow there will be a nuclear war.

China has said they will not interfere if we are attacked, but what if the missile doesn't make it and China says well - you weren't hurt and launches.

Once again I will tell you, I grew up with this mess in college working a Lockheed and I know how bad it was back then. It is much worse. Now there are 24 missiles with 10 warheads. That is 240 bombs. We are in a situation like when the terrorist use to put up people in front - prisoners or stored their munitions in schools and mosques. There is going to be collateral damage but the U.S. has no choice. They will not pause and worry about Seoul. It is called massive retaliation and has kept us out of a nuclear war for 70 years. All the cold war presidents were ready including JFK and I don't think any civilian has a real idea of how bad it will be.

They will toast the entire peninsula. The fallout will move to China and Russia. The fallout will come to America and especially Australia as well Asia.

Sadly neither sanctions nor diplomacy is going to work. The only thing that will happen is there will be a greater risk of several missiles reaching me in California. Not happy about that. We are in range here. People will literally freak out and it will be bad.

Honor is important to oriental people. Not following through on a threat would pave the way for a regime change in North Korea.

How can they celebrate tomorrow without attacking America? 

We are nearing a solar eclipse in the U.S. Perhaps many don't think that matters but it is not a good omen.

Let's hope nothing happens.

Medclinician
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 7:09am
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/08/north-korea-and-the-remake-of-reagans-star-wars.html#

Since Trump issued "fire and fury" threats against North Korea (the DPRK), sanity has taken over among serious people. The talk of preventive strikes on North Korea within the expert community has largely ended. It was never a seriously possibility. North Korea has many options to retaliate to any strike and all would come with catastrophic damage to South Korea and Japan and thereby to U.S. interests in Asia.

North Korea can be successfully deterred in the same way that all other nuclear weapon states are deterred from using their weapons.

General conclusions—for now. Our general conclusions from intensive study of a wide variety of data relating to the two rockets that North Korea launched in July:

• The Hwasong-14 does not currently constitute a nuclear threat to the lower 48 states of the United States.
  • The flight tests on July 4 and 28 were a carefully choreographed deception by North Korea to create a false impression that the Hwasong-14 is a near-ICBM that poses a nuclear threat to the continental US.
  • The Hwasong-14 tested on July 4 and 28 may not even be able to deliver a North Korean atomic bomb to Anchorage, Alaska.
  • Although it is clear that North Korea is not capable of manufacturing sophisticated rocket components, their skill and ingenuity in using Soviet rocket motor components has grown very substantially. This is not good news for the long run.

It is time for the United States to get serious about diplomacy and appropriate defensive preparations (see sidebar, “Comments on the developing situation with North Korea”) to constructively support those diplomatic efforts.

~Albert Einstein
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 4:55am
It is clear that the failed foreign policy of the Obama administration of hoping to "talk this out" are not effective. Kim Jong un continue to successfully test more missiles and are a greater threat now than ever.

Monitoring the situation, waiting for China to actually help stop this, and diplomacy have failed.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 4:57am
Things are no better. 

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 4:46pm
We are on the verge of a war.  Some sort of action must be taken and soon.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 5:55am
All options are on the table. Stalemate, when none of the actions are viable.

Medclinician

WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 2:56pm
Here are a few words and a poem from the poet Bernard Lowell on the late great President Kennedy.  I wonder if the memory of Trump will emerge as rosy.  Like the current problems with North Korea, Kennedy and his administration faced the prospect of nuclear war, coming within hours of it during the Cuban missile crisis.

"History has been cruel to the memory of President Kennedy.  I do not claim to be a social scientist or learned psychologist, but don't you love the way society and the communication media have turned on the ghost of its tarnshed hero?  No matter, for muyself he will always be the one who gave mankind the moon.

J.F.K.

Was it fate,
Prompted the tragic act,
Or political ire,
Which bid him peep,
For one fatal instant,
Across the wire,
Of the assassin's cruel,
Extended eye?
A President fell.
Did Blood or ichor,
Stain the hero's wounds?
Time will tell,
What acts of state,
Historians dare recall.
A crisis solved,
Bid courage save our world,
From the brink of war,
Or merely stall.
Who can look,
Upon the conquered moon,
And not warm to the man,
Who's stirring speech it was,
Began it all?
Let the everlasting flame,
Remain to tell,
How John Kennedy fell."
I like Ike
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 3:02pm
NK shoots a missile over JapanOuch

and "all options are on the table " ???  LOLLOLLOL

how many times have we heard that ???

ANSWER:too many to count

this was yet ANOTHER in yer face provocation
and each time they are getting worse
cause'

apparently that "all options are on the table"  thingy ain's scaring no one

so far Trump has dealt with NK the same as Bush and Obama did
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 7:47am
Putin is not brain dead and despite the fact neither China nor Russia is trustworthy he is now using my words "The U.S. and Korea are "on the verge of". That is is MedSpeak.

We really need to realize that crazy leaders will do crazy things. Kim Jong Un eventually will launch a real nuke that will blow up perhaps Guam or even a city in Japan. This is a "not if but when".

The question is once he does and we vaporize North Korea - because there will be no surgical strike with hundreds of launch sites in North Korea and a standing army which will flow into South Korea to take it - what will happen?

Nuclear weapons are dirty and they will contaminate both Russia and China. Japan is getting ready to go nuke and do you blame them?  With people rushing to subways as a missile flies over - how close does it have to get?

China does not want a powerful country on its borders with nukes. North Korea is a proxy antagonist against the U.S. and they will not control what they have behind the scenes set up on purpose.

Many people realize we are at the end of diplomacy as we have been with Iran. Kim Jong Un will insist to be recognized as a nuclear power and he now has missiles that can hit the U.S. and intelligence has lied to the people many times. All this re-entry vehicle needs to be worked out.  You don't need accuracy. They are not shooting to knock out hardened silos and they can launch from anywhere from a mobile platform.

Turn off the heat of the nose cone entering and fire evasive bursts of small explosives during free fall (as I told the U.S. in 1967 and would work) and all the heat seeking devices are limited to optics and perhaps "Star Wars lasers or particle weapons fired from orbit".

Also, North Korea has submarines and Russia has low flying drones that can deliver nukes and evade our defenses and take out areas the size of Texas with a single missile.

We are on a collision course to a nuclear war.  Will China sit by - will Russia sit by as we pop off nukes in North Korea? Will they restrain themselves from making a pre-emptive strike?

Perhaps not.

The only real significant factors which may make them not attack is really it will be
"Game Over - Dude".  No more weapons sales. No more stock markets. No more power grid and all the rich on the planet will be reduced to equality when their dollars and stocks are worth nothing.

If there is an Illuminati of some sort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati

and personally I think there is who decides every year which wars will be fought and who will fight them - then it is time to call off the dogs and take Kim Jong Un out of power - (this is the only logical solution) but China most certainly does not want it.

meanwhile
yes Putin - we are on the verge - like I said...

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 7:54am
Originally posted by WillobyBrat WillobyBrat wrote:

Here are a few words and a poem from the poet Bernard Lowell on the late great President Kennedy.  I wonder if the memory of Trump will emerge as rosy.  Like the current problems with North Korea, Kennedy and his administration faced the prospect of nuclear war, coming within hours of it during the Cuban missile crisis.

"History has been cruel to the memory of President Kennedy.  I do not claim to be a social scientist or learned psychologist, but don't you love the way society and the communication media have turned on the ghost of its tarnshed hero?  No matter, for muyself he will always be the one who gave mankind the moon.

J.F.K.

Was it fate,
Prompted the tragic act,
Or political ire,
Which bid him peep,
For one fatal instant,
Across the wire,
Of the assassin's cruel,
Extended eye?
A President fell.
Did Blood or ichor,
Stain the hero's wounds?
Time will tell,
What acts of state,
Historians dare recall.
A crisis solved,
Bid courage save our world,
From the brink of war,
Or merely stall.
Who can look,
Upon the conquered moon,
And not warm to the man,
Who's stirring speech it was,
Began it all?
Let the everlasting flame,
Remain to tell,
How John Kennedy fell."

WillobyBrat - This is well put and very relevant in the light of current evens.

Med
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 5:07am
North Korea just set off a 50-100 kiloton nuclear bomb. They are a clear danger to the U.S. and the ability to deliver a hydrogen bomb in a blast that was 10x more than the last bomb.

It was so powerful it collapsed the upper structural area of the earth and could result in radiation leaks.

Tests prove it was not fake. This was a fusion bomb - with temperatures greater than the surface of the sun.

North Korea must be stopped.

Our largest bomb is 455 kilotons.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 10:59am
It is unlikely that sanctions will work against North Korea. They haven't in the past, and with its huge reserves, it will merely starve an already starving people.

And while saying we will cut off trade with countries doing business with North Korea, the thought comes to mind, who all is doing business with North Korea.

The top export destinations of North Korea are China ($2.34B), India ($97.8M), Pakistan ($43.1M), Burkina Faso ($32.8M) and Other Asia ($26.7M). The top import origins are China ($2.95B), India ($108M), Russia ($78.2M), Thailand ($73.8M) and the Philippines ($53.2M).

North Korea borders China, South Korea and Russia by land and Japan by sea.

So, are we going to stop doing business with China, India, and Pakistan, Russia, Thailand, and the Philippines?

Seems unlikely.

Why is South Korea doing what they are?  Because they can. Since President Clinton stated that attacking them was not an option because they would decimate Seoul with conventional weapons and now can kill 20 million people, bottom line as they launched across Japan and now have tested a 100 kiloton Hydrogen bomb, nothing is being done.

It is all words.

Stalemate.

Diplomacy isn't going to work. Sanctions are not going to work. Only a strike or regime change will stop them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/02/10/north-korea-sanctions-wont-work-heres-why-china/80183710/

China abets North Korea: China is complicit in much of what North Korea does, Fisher said.

Chinese President Xi Jinping allowed a Chinese company in 2011 to provide North Korea with 16-wheel trucks, which are now used to transport inter-continental ballistic missiles that the U.S. Defense Department says could carry a nuclear payload as far as Seattle.

“When North Korea and Iran seek to purchase high technology, materials or equipment for their nuclear and missile programs, the place that they like to shop is China,” Thomas Countryman, assistant secretary of State for international security and nonproliferation, told reporters in January.

China has a high-technology economy and produces a number of advanced goods that would benefit such programs, Countryman said. China should “exercise the same degree of vigilance and control on strategic trade with Iran and North Korea as other countries do,” he said.

China props up North Korea's leadership: China wants the North Korean leadership to survive, whatever it takes.

China uses North Korea to influence the democratic government of South Korea and to pressure Japan, Fisher said.

“It views the regime in Pyongyang as a brother Communist system that must survive at all costs in order to prove to the world that China is not the last Communist regime on the planet,” Fisher said.

comment: No policies, including paying protection money for 20 years are going to change anything as they continue developing nuclear weapons. They currently can hit Guam and many U.S. military bases and are on track to bomb almost any target in the U.S. with their new long range ICBMs.

Medclinician

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 2:46pm
any first strike from the USA ,

will mean war with China,

maybe thats what China wants ,

they calling the shots,

Question is " Trump equation"
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 2:50pm
A Chinese fleet appears to be making a move on another contested Spratly island
AUGUST 22, 20171:28PM

Aa Chinese H-6K bomber patrols the islands and reefs in the South China Sea. China appears to be making a new move on a sandbar in the Spratly Islands. Picture: AP

CHINA is making a bold move on the Spratly Islands. A fishing fleet — backed by navy frigates and coast guard vessels — has surrounded the Philippines island of Pagasa/Thitu.

The island is the largest land mass occupied by the Philippines in the island group. International observers say the close-in naval and fishing fleet presence around sandbars close to the island is a highly provocative move which is at odds with Beijing’s narrative that its land-grab in the South China Sea is over.

But Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte appears unwilling to stand up to Beijing.

“Why should I defend a sandbar and kill the Filipinos because of a sandbar?” Duterte stated overnight.

A compliation of photographs and sighting reports compiled by a Philippines congressman showing Chinese naval and coast guard vessels near Thitu/Pagasa Island.

A compliation of photographs and sighting reports compiled by a Philippines congressman showing Chinese naval and coast guard vessels near Thitu/Pagasa Island.Source:Supplied

He has dismissed claims by members of the judiciary and congress that its territory was being invaded.

“We were not invaded,” President Rodrigo Duterte said last night. “It’s not true. They are just there, but they are not claiming anything.”

But photographs released by Philippine Congressman Gary Alejano show the Chinese fleet clustered tightly around its most important possession in the disputed Spratly group. This has prompted Philippine Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio to describe the events as an “invasion of Philippine territory”.

He said the incident was “highly suspicious and threatening,” with China “(saying) one thing in public and (doing) another on the ground.”

Even if China was making such a move, Duterte said, “I will not call on America. I have lost trust in the Americans.”

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Chinas South Sea Fleet taking part in a drill. Naval, coastguard and fishing vessels are currently active around a sandbar in the Spratly Islands. Picture: AFP

China's South Sea Fleet taking part in a drill. Naval, coastguard and fishing vessels are currently active around a sandbar in the Spratly Islands. Picture: AFPSource:AFP

LINES IN THE SAND

Pagasa/Thitu is home to about 100 Filipinos, and is within 22km of one of China’s controversial artificial island fortresses.

These artificial islands — submerged in their natural state at high tide — are not recognised as territorial land masses by international law. China, however, argues that their controversial artificial land reclamation projects and airfield fortresses now make them sovereign territory.

Duterte, who has previously said the Philippines has no way to stand against Beijing’s expansionist claims, says he has received assurances from the Chinese ambassador that they were not building anything there.

Thitu Island, at the centre of a new dispute between China and the Philippines in the Spratly Islands.

Thitu Island, at the centre of a new dispute between China and the Philippines in the Spratly Islands.Source:Supplied

An AMTI/CSIS satellite photo showing the Chinese naval and fishing fleet clustered around a sandbar near the Philippine-occupied island of Thitu.

An AMTI/CSIS satellite photo showing the Chinese naval and fishing fleet clustered around a sandbar near the Philippine-occupied island of Thitu.Source:Supplied

When asked why the fleet was so tightly clustered around an island claimed by the Philippines, Duterte replied: “To patrol ... because they are our friends”.

But China’s actions in the Spratly Islands have been anything but friendly in recent years, with its fishing fleet and coastguard regularly preventing Philippines fishermen from entering the disputed region.

“One plausible (though hardly reassuring) interpretation of the Chinese activity, offered by AMTI, is that Beijing is engaging in a coercive demonstration around Thitu in order to dissuade the Philippine authorities from carrying out long-planned repairs and extensive infrastructure upgrades,” says Dr Euan Graham, Director, International Security Program at the Lowy Institute.

The alleged ongoing reclamation of Subi Reef by China is seen from Pagasa/Thitu Island in the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, western Palawan Province, Philippines. Picture: AP

The alleged ongoing reclamation of Subi Reef by China is seen from Pagasa/Thitu Island in the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, western Palawan Province, Philippines. Picture: APSource:AP

INTIMIDATING PRESENCE

International observers are suspicious of the move involving the militia-like Chinese fishing fleet, which appears to have landed on an unoccupied sandbar named Sandy Cay some 4.6km east of Pagasa/Thitu.

The occupied island itself is some 22km from the artificial island fortress of Subi Reef — one of seven heavily militarised bases built by China in the area since 2013.

The Asian Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI) has posted satellite photographsconfirming the assembly of the Chinese fishing and naval fleet in the contested waters.

Nine Chinese fishing ships, three naval vessels and a coast guard ship have so far been counted, says Gregory Poling of AMTI.

Philippine patrol vessels have reportedly been instructed to stand down — despite the Chinese fleet having reportedly prevented a Philippine government vessel from approaching.

Thitu Island, in the contested Spratly Islands between Vietnam and the Philippines, appears to be at the heart of a new land-grab by China. Picture: Google Maps

Thitu Island, in the contested Spratly Islands between Vietnam and the Philippines, appears to be at the heart of a new land-grab by China. Picture: Google MapsSource:News Corp Australia

“A Philippine government ship from BFAR (Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources) was prevented by Chinese fishing vessels from going near our sandbars located generally west of Pagasa Island, around two to seven miles away,” Philippines congressman Gary Alejano told GMA news at the weekend, highlighting similarities to the way in which Beijing occupied Scarborough Shoal in 2012.

“The Chinese may have a sinister plan to occupy sandbars just west of Pagasa that belong to us,” he said.

Pagasa/Thitu is home to about 10 Filipino fishermen and is the largest of the 10 islands in the Spratly group occupied by the Philippines and contains a runway. Plans to spend $US32 million in an upgrade of the island’s facilities were recently announced.

Fishing boats of China’s fishing fleet — which is organised along militia lines — head out to sea from the port in Lianyungang, in Chinas eastern Jiangsu province. Picture: AFP

Fishing boats of China’s fishing fleet — which is organised along militia lines — head out to sea from the port in Lianyungang, in China's eastern Jiangsu province. Picture: AFPSource:AFP

PICKING A FIGHT

Seizing Sandy Cay would be one of Beijing’s most provocative acts since its 2012 occupation of Scarborough Shoal. The sandbar featured in last year’s International Court of Arbitration ruling, which found against China’s claims to the entire South China Sea. Its proximity within 12 nautical miles (22km) of the occupied Subi Reef was highlighted as a potential counter to Beijing’s territorial claims.

China has ignored the ruling.

But it does appear to have taken note of Sandy Cay’s significance, writes Dr Euan Graham of the Lowy Institute.

“China’s ongoing maritime activity around Thitu is worrisome in its own right because it is coercive in nature. However, if the objective of the operation is to occupy Sandy Cay, that would mean a significant escalation in tension in the South China Sea.”

Beijing, however, has so far remained unusually silent about its activities in the Spratly Islands.

The appearance of the Chinese fishing fleet, navy and coast guard in the Spratlys comes shortly after the Philippines and the other nine nations of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) concluded a draft framework on the Code of Conduct for the South China Sea.

“Asia has acquired yet another flashpoint it could well do without,” Dr Graham writes. “Moreover, it appears to be one that China has deliberately picked at a time and location of its choosing.”

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 2:54pm

China demands Indonesia drop new name for Natuna waters

• News Desk
    News Desk

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Sun, September 3, 2017 | 03:51 pm
China demands Indonesia drop new name for Natuna watersIndonesian President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo stands on deck of Indonesian Navy ship KRI Imam Bonjol after chairing a limited Cabinet meeting in Natuna Islands waters in the province of Riau Islands. (Kompas/.)

China has issued a demand for Indonesia to reverse its decision to rename the South China Sea (SCS) waters that lie within Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ).

In July, the Indonesian government named the maritime region in question, which lies north of the Natuna Islands, the “North Natuna Sea."

Channel News Asia reported that the Chinese Foreign Ministry sent an official note to the Indonesian Embassy in Beijing dated Aug. 25, expressing its opposition to the move.

In the letter, China said Indonesia’s move to change an “internationally accepted name” resulted in the “complication and expansion of the dispute, and affects peace and stability”.

“The China-Indonesian relationship is developing in a healthy and stable way, and the South China Sea dispute is progressing well,” the Chinese Foreign Ministry said. “Indonesia’s unilateral name-changing actions are not conducive to maintaining this excellent situation.”

China and Indonesia had overlapping maritime claims in the southwest of the South China Sea, Beijing said, adding that renaming the area would not change that fact.

Shortly after renaming of the area, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti said Indonesia had every rights to make the decision.

“The North Natuna Sea falls within our territory, not within the South China Sea […] We have the right [to rename the waters], the North Natuna Sea is ours,” Susi said.

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 6:42pm
Man, we will soon see what Pres. Trump is made of! 

I do really like the mettle of former US Marine General/Sec Def Mattis, and wish he were President.  

Maybe we should just blow off a nuke "warning shot" off the coast of N. Korea, and let their generals think about it?  It would be drastic, but hey, no lives lost (except a bunch of fish!). 

CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2017 at 8:44pm
Australian,saying,

"put up or shut up".....

May as well let rip on Iran while we at it.... Oopps that's the bad Carbon

Any option to us is better Than war,but thete comes a time when the "bully"gets his butt kicked.....

Marcus Aurelius
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:13pm
North Korea has just launched a missile towards Japan after threatening to sink Japan with a nuke. Japan is on alert.

stay tuned

Medclinician
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 4:44pm

North Korea fires another ballistic missile over Japan as residents warned to take shelter

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-korea-files-another-ballistic-222653947.html

no doubt "all options are on the table"LOL

“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 3:29pm
The one thing I really hate in government, the military, and politics is statements which are meaningless.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/15/nikki-haley-to-north-korea-no-problem-letting-mattis-deal-with.html

“So having said that, I have no problem kicking it to General Mattis because I think he has plenty of options,” Haley said at the White House briefing, where she and National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster previewed U.S. efforts at the U.N. General Assembly next week. 

North Korea conducted its longest-ever test flight of a ballistic missile Friday, sending an intermediate-range weapon hurtling over U.S. ally Japan into the northern Pacific Ocean in a launch that signals both defiance of its rivals and a big technological advance.

McMaster stressed Friday that the U.S. is still trying to resolve the conflict diplomatically. Joining Haley at the briefing, he said it’s important to employ “rigorous enforcement of those sanctions” in pursuit of that route but acknowledged the United States is willing to use force. 

“There is a military option,” he said. “Now, it’s not what we prefer to do. So what we have to do is call on all nations, call on everyone to do everything we can to address this global problem short of war.”

comment: Any military strike on North Korea is not a feasible option at this time. Sanctions are worthless, no matter how they are enforced. As long as China continues to support North Korea and let it use proxy banks, it is clear they want North Korea just as they are - a pain in the butt for the Western World and a buffer zone between them and South Korea.

It is unlikely that if we had a clear workable plan for a successful military option we would warn North Korea any more. We would just launch.

July 1, 1946. My father was on a ship in the Navy when they set off the nuclear bomb on Bikini Island. He said though they were pretty far away, no one expected it to hit so hard and their ship was nearly destroyed and he was radiated. He told me - John - if they even drop one of these in Sunnyvale, and we live near Moffett Field
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/santaclara/usn.htm

It will destroy everything all the way to San Francisco. If they drop on on San Diego - where I was before I got out - California will be history.

comment: Now I say, the longer we wait, the worse it will be and the more likely North Korea will either launch from a sub, have someone with a suitcase set one off in New York or D.C., or do an EMP, a nuke, and dump some virus into some water supply or send in people infected with no symptoms.

The bottom line is it is a stalemate and Kim Jong Un knows this. He is like a cat dancing on a fence with a pit bull below. They did not think Saddam Hussein would attack Kuwait. He was crazy. No one nuked Baghdad as he lobbed Scud after Scud into Israel.

Well, no one is going to sit back and say - okay America - you handle it - especially Israel.

So many movies, so many years of it not happening. It couldn't happen, it wouldn't happen, no one was crazy enough to launch.

Well, now we have one that is. Are they going to stop him or not before he does?

Medclinician

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 4:45am
What about a highly trained top team of just a few men with very inconspicuous weaponry blowing up the bridge that links NK and China.  This would effecitvely cut off all aid to NK.  China would be pissed.  But, as usual they would do nothing.  China's aid to the state would then become much more costly for China and that is the only thing on Earth that would make them rethink.  There would be very little loss of life; with good timing none.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 9:04am
One of the most dangerous aspects of the relationship between the U.S. and North Korea is the child like manipulation tactic (also used by pets or animals) of testing limits.

As a parent, you will see a child pushing it further and further until they are met with resistance and forced to stop.

We have a real issue when the "child" has nuclear bomb, hundreds of weapons aimed at Seoul and can kill 20 million people in 30 minutes. No matter what we did, even nuking North Korea, those people would still die and probably more of them if we did launch a nuke.

My Canadian best friend was tortured by this little nasty bully because he was a Christian, son of a minister,  and would not smash him in the nose with his fist. While not condoning this, he finally took his little tormentor in his underwear in the gym and help him up against the wall by the throat and growled "if you touch me again, I am going to kill you."

That was the end of that. I mean it. Never again. 

The bottom line is that Kim Jong Un will not stop until he is stopped.

As I have said before - neither sanctions or diplomacy is going to stop this bully. Had they sent a team to take him out - that would have been the best course of action for the U.S.

We are at the stage - and I will post it yet again of Apes waving their bones in the air. I do not want to see a nuclear war and we are at a point where if the superpowers are crazy enough to launch - no one wins. All the money will be gone. The trade, the leadership, the people - gone.

So as the bone is waved - there are military options on the table - how euphemistic can you get?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/euphemistic

I noticed Fox Network chiding in beside me after my post yesterday - as is happening more often.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/15/north-korea-either-china-helps-or-all-bets-are-off.html?

First, one hopes the State Department, in coordination with Defense and our intelligence community, is opening a clear, convincing, private and high-level conversation with China, in which one point is being made:  If North Korea launches a missile that hits American soil or allies, we will hold China directly responsible, since they have the ability – right now – to cut off 90 percent of North Korean exports, compelling a leadership implosion or North Korean rethink of both their nuclear and ballistic missile programs. 

comment: If North Korea launches a missile that hits American soil or allies, we will hold China directly responsible..
What are we going to do - sanction them after Los Angeles is in ashes?  How effective.

Until then - we are somewhere back at the river with the bone - this is painful - it is. And the reality is - that until finally someone does something - it will continue to get worse.

Medclinician

The point - it won't be long before the bone blow is struck is by Kim Jong Un and with it - the end of America as we know it.  Even if we vaporize North Korea - it is unlikely China or Russia will sit back and watch.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 9:29am
"All options are on the table."  Means ... "Be scared you weak little ***. "  

But, threats do not work if the person you are threatening knows you do not mean them.  So, KJU just hears:  "Blah blah blah."  Like he has heard many times before.

There is a great deal of the playground in this war of words, I have to agree.  China is the big brother threatening anyone whom his little sibling annoys.

Destroying the bridge which connects them would cut off supplies of the components to manufacture arms and all, YES ALL the petroleum products entering the country.  Obviously, China would look for alternative shipping routes, but those are both more costly (China's vulnerable spot) and more exposed; therefore vulnerable -hint hint.

To deal with China one has to understand what China wants from NK.  Or more to the point, what it does not want - refugees.  To placate China and make the process work,  a previously arranged refugee program and an agreed China supervised - US/SK/Japan funded regional security force would probably do that.

Expensive!  But, cheap compared to the alternative.  China stays refugee free and economically strong - with the added bonus of gaining face by acceding power over over the regional security force.  If The western allies do not like the force, or its cost,  it could have a previously arranged termination date; say ten years.  That is plenty of time to clear up all the mess.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 5:09pm
Could not believe another lame story in Fox News. 

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/16/tough-talk-from-kim-jong-un-but-expert-says-it-may-signal-opening.html

I went over this and despite the headline

Tough talk from Kim Jong Un, but expert says it may signal an 'opening'

comment:

This has got to be the biggest jump in logic - and that would be a misnomer, I have seen in years. Talk about desperation.

Still, according to one leading North Korea expert here in Seoul, Kim Jong Un’s latest rhetorical outburst suggests intriguing possibilities.

“This is an important statement,” John DeLury of Seoul’s Yonsei University told Fox News. “I think this is an opening.”

this is much more "wishful thinking".

As Kim threatens to sink Japan and only launched yesterday a missile capable of likely carrying a nuke and reaching Guam, I see nothing intriguing or the barest of possibilities for any kind of meaningful dialog.

Can one say with any intelligence, that once Kim Jong Un has reached equality he will stop? And considering our submarine fleet in the U.S. and approximately 6,800 nuclear missiles- when exactly is that supposed to happen? Kim Jong Un is now getting ready to get his submarine fleet up to speed in launching nukes. Then there will be no warning and no fireworks in the sky. We would have less than 5 minutes in San Francisco.

As of July 8, 2017, the United States has 6,800 warheads, (click highlighted words) according to data from Hans Kristensen and Robert Norris at the Federation of American scientists. 2,800 of them are retired, 4,000 are stockpiled, and 1,800 are deployed. The total number of U.S. warheads is second only to Russia, which currently has 7,000 of them.

The is like Lawrence of Arabia charging into Aqaba and saying "see they are ready to talk now - can't you see how scared they are."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aqaba

comment: Kim Jong Un wants the DPRK to accepted into the group of nations having and deploying nuclear weapons if necessary. If this were granted, if it were possible, he would develop them even faster.

The mainstream media is getting lamer because now the news they had of the hurricane in Florida is losing viewer potential.

It is quite possible we are in a place even more dangerous then the Cuban Missile Crisis with JFK and Russia sending nukes to Cuba.

They sent us home from school that day and we truly believed Russia would launch in hours.

Preppers should get things together. Fill up those extra bottles of water and be ready if the power grid and network go down.

Medclinician 

Diligent View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diligent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 7:55pm
In 1950, if my history serves me correctly, it was North Korea who crossed the 38th parallel, and invaded South Korea.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Diligent Diligent wrote:

In 1950, if my history serves me correctly, it was North Korea who crossed the 38th parallel, and invaded South Korea.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

You are correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_in_North_Korea

• June 25 - The Beginning of the Korean War
    • At 4am KST (June 24 – 7pm UTC), South Korean army bases near the border with North Korea, at Yeoncheon, came under fire without warning. After 45 minutes of shelling, North Korean troops invaded with six infantry divisions, an armored brigade and three border brigades coming across the 38th parallel. With many of their personnel on weekend leave, the four South Korean divisions in the area were quickly overwhelmed, and the invaders proceeded toward the South Korean capital of Seoul, 40 miles to the south.[3]
    • In response to the North Korean invasion, United Nations Security Council Resolution 82 was voted upon, calling for "an immediate cessation of hostilities" and for "North Korea to withdraw forthwith their armed forces to the 38th parallel". The vote was 9-0, with the USSR absent and Yugoslavia abstaining.[4]
  • June 26 - Brigadier General Yi Hyong Gun, commander of the Second Division of the South Korean Army, decided against making a counter-attack against invading North Korean troops after determining "that the situation was out of control" and ordered a retreat toward Seoul. "His action," it would be noted later, "meant that there were no means to block the advancing North Korean People's Army", but General Yi would receive a promotion afterward.

Medclinician

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 7:44pm

In meeting with military, Trump talks of 'calm before the storm'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/meeting-military-trump-talks-calm-storm-010913288.html

"Maybe it's the calm before the storm," he said.

What storm?

"You'll find out," Trump told questioning reporters.

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 9:06pm

A Hypothetical Nuclear Attack on Seoul and Tokyo: The Human Cost of War on the Korean Peninsula

http://www.38north.org/2017/10/mzagurek100417/

At various times over the past few weeks, US President Donald Trump and other members of his administration have threatened to use military force to prevent North Korea from conducting additional nuclear or ballistic missile tests. The US carrying out any military option raises a significant risk of military escalation by the North, including the use of nuclear weapons against South Korea and Japan. According to the calculations presented below, if the “unthinkable” happened, nuclear detonations over Seoul and Tokyo with North Korea’s current estimated weapon yields could result in as many as 2.1 million fatalities and 7.7 million injuries.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

In meeting with military, Trump talks of 'calm before the storm'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/meeting-military-trump-talks-calm-storm-010913288.html

"Maybe it's the calm before the storm," he said.

What storm?

"You'll find out," Trump told questioning reporters.

You beat me to this one. I was just going to post it. The bottom line is whether or not they flatten Seoul and kill 15 million people we cannot let North Korea continue developing nuclear bombs or missiles.  Bets are still on a non-nuclear strike taking out Kim Jong-un. China is not going to do anything.  It's Poker and eventually there will be a call and the bluff will be ended.

You can be sure the military already has several plans and they will do one of them soon. Time is running out - it is the calm before the storm and Trump is not about to ruin the surprise by telling what he is going to do. 

Medclinician
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 2:23pm

Secretary Mattis Gives Tells the Army ‘to Be Ready’ to Deal With North Korea

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/10/09/secretary-mattis-gives-tells-army-ready-deal-north-korea/

generally speaking

before a government starts a war they try their best to get the population behind it

the propaganda flows hot and heavy

be watching for this

Mattis is a level headed guy

one of the few sane members of the Trump administration

will he be a restraining influence ???

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 8:30pm

The Trump administration has no plan for dealing with a North Korean electromagnetic pulse weapons attack

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-nkorea-attack-fp-84e5000e-b296-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98-20171016-story.html#

well NO surprise there

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2017 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

The Trump administration has no plan for dealing with a North Korean electromagnetic pulse weapons attack

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-wp-nkorea-attack-fp-84e5000e-b296-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98-20171016-story.html#

well NO surprise there

Thanks, I subscribe to the Chicago Tribune & missed that one!!  

Here's the thing = not every nuclear warhead is optimized to induce an electromagnetic pulse.   In fact, it is still very much of a theoretical, since the nuclear test ban eliminated atmospheric testing.   I don't think NK has the delivery system (missile) nor warhead to pull this off in any except a very regional way (Hawaii)  

Newt said:  Critics of the EMP commission point out that even if terrifying, such an attack from Pyongyang would be unlikely, because the United States would then retaliate with a nuclear attack against North Korea. "It'd be suicide to launch an EMP attack," said Schwellenbach. 

But that level of retaliation isn't realistic to Gingrich. "We'd react with a direct nuclear weapon?" he said. "That's a pretty big escalation."

Well, THAT'S helpful, Newt!!   Even under Obama, the US would retaliate against any first-use of nuclear power against the homeland.   We would not only fry Pyongyang, but China might possible become involved if they decide to escalate.  I think the word would go out to PRC to stay clear, and they would. 

I have served on EMP Task Forces, and the USA would be hammered....take a look at Puerto Rica post-Maria to see what it would be like.  However, the USA is vast, with very different terrain & geography (mountains etc.), and a "one-off" EMP attack by NK is just too incredible to be believable.   

A Carrington Event (solar flare) would be much more likely to cripple us, and I think there would be some resilience, although we haven't hardened our power grid to the extent we should.  

Kim Jung Un is a blow-hard, I would support regime decapitation vs. all out military assault.  I don't think it would be too hard to target that fat f*** at a parade or something using a modern drone or glide bomb.  

Here you go, bombs away!! 

CRS, DrPH
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 1:51am
Just a reminder-maybe in US perspective it is useless to talk to North Korea about its nuclear program. International Russia and China seem to be working (with some EU countries) on a solution. The outcome of these talks will increase further the Russian and Chinese influence in East Asia-wich is a problem for the US. 

https://www.voanews.com/a/north-koreas-war-history-is-mirror-opposite-world-view-96978424/165902.html North Korea claims South Korea and the US started the 1950-53 war. I will try to find how Russia and China (became "communist"in 1949) see that. 

The perspective people have on history seldom reflects the real history-both in "the west"as "global".

~Albert Einstein
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 8:44pm
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/29/latest-north-korean-missile-could-hit-entire-us-mainland-pyongyang-says.html

North Korea’s state television said Wednesday that the nuclear-capable intercontinental-ballistic missile that was launched earlier is “significantly more” powerful than the previous weapon and puts the entire United States in its crosshairs.

The report called the weapon a Hwasong 15. The launch was detected after it was fired early Wednesday morning from a site near Pyongyang.

South Korea's Yonhap News Agency, which first reported the launch, said the missile launch happened around 3 a.m. local time in North Korea. South Korea fired pinpoint missiles into nearby waters to make sure North Korea understands it can be "taken under fire" by the South, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said.

comment: We may be on the verge of a nuclear war. They are running drills in Hawaii in view of recent threats.

Video - two hours ago 6:44 p.m. PST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic