Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

EGG ALL OVER HIS FACE...common sense at last

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EGG ALL OVER HIS FACE...common sense at last
    Posted: July 18 2017 at 3:17pm

Trump fumes as US health care reform bid collapses

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., centre, joined by, from left, Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., and Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn of Texas. Picture: AP

An angry President Donald Trump railed against dissenters in his party who dashed his months-long effort to dismantle his predecessor’s landmark health care law, as moderates baulked at the latest Republican plan to scrap Obamacare.

With several efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) now squashed, the Senate’s top Republican said he would forge ahead with what could be a last-gasp vote — on a new plan to kill off most of the 2010 reforms of Trump’s predecessor without a replacement at the ready.

Four Republicans had lined up against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s earlier health overhaul, flatlining it in the chamber, where the party could afford only two defectors in order to get the measure passed.

McConnell announced a fresh effort aimed at repealing Obamacare now and crafting a replacement later. But that too ran into opposition from at least three Republicans who refused to support repealing the law without a suitable fix at the ready.

The Republican leader nonetheless prepared to force a vote to see where his members stood on the repeal-only measure.

“That’s a vote I think we’re very likely to have in the very near future,” McConnell told reporters.

No date was given, but number two Republican John Cornyn said he expected it this week.

The dramatic implosion effectively means that Trump, who marks his first half-year in office Thursday, has no major legislative victory in hand, squandering months of political capital.

Trump fired off a morning tweet storm complaining about how he was “let down” by Democrats “and a few Republicans” opposed to the repeal.

He had campaigned relentlessly on a pledge to abolish most of the ACA, proclaiming at an October campaign rally that it would be “so easy” to immediately repeal and replace the law.

But he has run into the uncompromising reality of American politics: even with a president’s party enjoying a majority in both chambers, crafting and passing landmark legislation can be perilous in the US Congress.

The White House insisted that success remained within reach, with deputy spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders saying “we are not done with the health care battle.” But Trump said he was “disappointed,” and repeatedly offered that now it would be easier to just “let Obamacare fail.” He also stressed he wanted nothing to do with the blame for the collapse. “We’re not going to own it. I’m not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it,” he said.

“We’ll let Obamacare fail and then the Democrats are going to come to us” looking to work on a solution.

‘Time to start over’

McConnell’s new bid would repeal much of Obamacare outright, but with a two-year delay of implementation, in order to allow Congress time to craft a replacement.

A straight repeal bill passed Congress in 2015. That was during Obama’s presidency, and Republicans knew they would pay no political price for their votes, as Obama vetoed the measure.

It is no longer a dress rehearsal, and some Republicans are clearly concerned they would be on the hook for any ensuing disruption to the health care system.

Two years ago, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office warned that simply repealing Obamacare would essentially kick 18 million people off health care in the first year compared to current law, a figure that would balloon to 32 million by 2026.

That is far worse than the 22 million that the CBO forecast would lose coverage under the latest repeal-and-replace legislation.

With a number of Senate Republican moderates voicing concern about how the latest bill could adversely impact millions of people insured through Medicaid, the health coverage program for the poor and the disabled, McConnell’s bid floundered.

“I cannot vote to repeal Obamacare without a replacement plan that addresses my concerns and the needs of West Virginians,” Senator Shelley Moore Capito said in a statement.

Her state has significant numbers of residents on Medicaid.

Another Republican opposed to the new plan, Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, acknowledged that McConnell had the nearly impossible task of corralling enough votes from his caucus’s rival conservative and moderate factions.

“The majority leader is trying to keep all the frogs in the wheelbarrow, and it’s a tough job,” Murkowski said.

While Democrats celebrated, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer extended an olive branch to his Republican rivals and encouraged them to work with Democrats to improve Obamacare.

“It’s time to move on. It’s time to start over” on health care, he said. Meanwhile a bipartisan group of 11 governors urged the Senate to “immediately reject” the repeal-only effort and work with state executives on bettering the current system.

“The best next step is for both parties to come together and do what we can all agree on: fix our unstable insurance markets,” said the governors, who included Ohio’s John Kasich, a 2016 Republican presidential hopeful, and Democrat Terry McAuliffe of Virginia.

AFP

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 7:33pm
Except now they're talking about either letting the ACA fail (because what could possibly go wrong there), or repeal and delay for two years. Anything but do what it takes to fix the Dem's signature legislation. Trump has such a chip on his shoulder about Obama, and this is when it really shows. Even with control of both houses, he still can't do anything but sign executive orders.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 9:31pm
Here we pay a levy on our taxable income,(there is a cut off point for low incomes),which goes to cover you for health care, if you want quicker better??service you pay private health care,if you earn a good wage and don't take out private you pay more levy,i don't pay private I prefer to keep the public service as I see it's our moral duty to care for the less fortunate....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 6:04am
We have almost exactly the same, Carbon.  I do not understand why so many Americans can't see the value of that.

It is true, when I was a big earner, I paid a lot of tax.  I did not regret one single cent of that; I saw it as my moral duty.  I am far poorer now and both my health and my partner's is less, but I lean on our health service with a clear conscience.  

Any national service is non-profit making.  As such, it sometimes wastes things it should not, but overall we get our assistance at a far cheaper rate and it is never withdrawn, no matter what happens to us in life.  So my conscience is clearer, my life expectancy is longer, my worry lines are shallower and there is more change in my pocket.  What is so hard to understand about that?
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 8:16am
Technophobe said: I do not understand why so many Americans can't see the value of that.

I don't understand why more of my fellow citizens don't understand they are going to pay for it one way or another! Either you pay for it up front through the ACA or on the back end with higher medical cost. Doctors and hospitals won't do it for free. When people without insurance go to the emergency room the people with insurance get to make up the difference. The real difference is, if you can't pay for it you wait until you are very sick before you go so the cost is much higher than if the doctors had caught the problem early. Open your eyes and minds U.S. of A!
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 11:55am
Because socialized healthare has has been demonized in the US by those who either profit from a private system, or have absolutely no clue what they're talking about, Techno.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 11:22pm
Truth: Pelosi, “But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it – away from the fog of the controversy.”

So the Dems passed it and it is a mess. The insurance companies are backing out of Obama Care and it costs 3,500.00 a year for a 23 yr old in great health with a 2,000 deductible (so no coverage basically). I know because that is what I pay for my son. I am stupid because I could save the money and if he gets sick apply for insurance then because he can't be turned down for a pre-existing condition. Obama care should and will fail.

The fact that Repubs can't get their Sh*t together is their fault, same as the Dems pay from the Insurance companies for their campaigns and too many people wanting free insurance through Medicaid. Free is never good you must pay something to appreciate what you get.

I am with Trump let Obama Care fail and start over. I am pissed that the Repubs are not having Insurance companies sell across the Country, that will lower the cost of insurance. The fact that so many people are now use to Free Insurance and health care is not good for them or the country it will doom our health care system.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 7:36am
It did not doom ours, FluMom.  In fact our life expectancy is higher than yours.  It is so successful that each one of our political parties keep trying to claim it was their idea.  You will not find anyone here complaining about the price either.  The vast majority of us can't believe how amazing the deal we get from the NHS (National Health Service) is.

This is not just my opinion.  We have had the NHS for about 7 decades.  It is tried and tested and found fit for purpose.

I can't agree more about Obamacare though; that was not fit for purpose.  I confess that I believe Trumpcare to be worse, but that does not change the fact that Obamacare failed.  I think you need a complete rethink.  Sadly, I can't see it happening.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 8:35am
There are many things in this world that can be allowed to fail without consequence. Healthcare is not one of them. The GOP, despite years of bleating from the sidelines, apparently never did have a plan to replace Obamacare, and their cobbled together replacements have little support. They have nothing, so now they're going to burn the house down. This is how the Republican party governs? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Trump's tiny ego won't let him do anything but erase everything his predecessor did, and the consequence of him not manning up and trying to fix the ACA will kill people. It will undoubtedly result in death and unnecessary suffering for people that Trump promised to look after time and time again on the campaign trail, and that is not the act of an honorable man in my opinion. It is the act of a sociopath with no moral compass, bolstered by ideologues like McConnell, Cruz and their ilk.

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 8:47am
"It is the act of a sociopath with no moral compass, bolstered by ideologues like McConnell, Cruz and their ilk."

well said

Trump NEVER had a healthcare program
it was just ANOTHER LIE
the Republicans had 7 years to come up with something
they too NEVER had a plan

and where is Sarah Palin ?
shouldn't she be coming out of the woodwork and screaming "death panels" right about now?

face it

REPUBLICANS HATE POOR PEOPLE
AND THEY'RE NOT TO CRAZY ABOUT THE MIDDLE CLASS EITHER

as the conservative FOX News pundit Charles Krauthammer said years ago
"the Republican Party PROTECTS THE RICH"  and that is a direct quote
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 9:09am
we do indeed have an IDIOT as President

President Trump says young people pay $12 for health insurance — here's how much it actually costs

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/20/trump-thinks-young-people-pay-12-for-health-insurance.html

“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 11:39am
CBO scores Trumpcare 3.0, still finds 15 million more uninsured next year, 22 million in ten years

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/7/20/1682415/-CBO-scores-Trumpcare-3-0-still-finds-15-million-more-uninsured-next-year-22-million-in-ten-years

"

It also finds soaring premiums for older people: 64 year olds making $57,000 annually would see a premium hike from Obamacare's $6,750/year to $18,250/year, more than one-third of their income. The same 64-year-old making $27,000 would see their premium rise from $1,700 under Obamacare to $5,500, more than one-fifth of their annual income. But, hey, if you're 25, you get a great deal. Except that your insurance will be crap. This won't make the AARP change their minds about this bill.

About that crap, they estimate that in 2026, the deductibles in the most common plans will be $13,000."

and you thought Obamacare was bad ???

LMAO !!!

a Republican President,a Republican Senate,a Republican House and this is what you get

ENJOY !!!

hope ya like living in your car and eating cat food AMuRIkA
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 10:14am
And now Sean Spicer has quit. Interesting times...

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 11:09am
yeah
he's been replaced by ANOTHER guy from GOLDMAN SUCKS !!!

LMAO !!!

more swamp draining ???LOL
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 2:57pm
My total tax bill for the Year was 14000k,

i think my medicare levy was $2k.....our $

so i payed roughly, 16k,Clap

my wage is 70k,Cry

i got a $350.oo refund Clap

me next birthday a very young 60......Tongue

we have the best infrastructure,new roads ,airports ,trains,FREE HEALTH CARE Wink

and theres only 20 odd million of us...........Smile

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 3:19pm
Wink

our private health funds start at about 106 a month for a 60 year old ,

tried to paste chart but no go ,

seems yours is more expensive...............

the problem with Private is ,

if you get real sick ,and cant pay, your cover is no more ,

and you end up in  the public hospitals system  anyway, 

so best to support your PUBLIC SYSTEM as you never ever know................. 

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic