Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Flu Outbreak Australia - It's Back and it's bad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Flu Outbreak Australia - It's Back and it's bad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flu Outbreak Australia - It's Back and it's bad
    Posted: August 28 2017 at 3:48am
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/australia-hit-by-worst-flu-outbreak-on-record-in-2017/news-story/56d9f7266bcc8a0a7ceacd5298e06d88

AUSTRALIA is in the grip of the worst flu outbreak on record and experts are urging people to have a flu vaccine now to prevent further spread of the disease.

More than 70,000 cases of flu have been reported so far this year including a record breaking 30,000 cases last month.

β€œI’m confident this is not just the biggest on record but the largest flu outbreak we’ve seen for some time,” Professor Paul VanBuynder the Chairman of the Immunisation Coalition said.

The previous influenza record occurred in 2015 when more than 100,000 people tested positive for the flu.

Flu notifications in South Australia are at a six-year high, with a total of 6203 cases so far this year compared to just 1347 cases at the same time last year. In all of 2016, there were a total of 7851 flu notifications in SA.

comment: Why am I the only one to catch this stuff? 

Medclinician

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 4:12am
Published on Aug 21, 2017
Worst flu outbreak ever Offices and cla.s srooms left empty as 88,357 people are diagnosed with the virus.
Offices and cla.s srooms across the country are emptier than usual as Australia goes through one of its worst flu seasons in years.

Medclinician

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 2:59pm
trouble is, Here most people think they dying when they just got a bad cold ,

3 of us at work had a FLU earlier in the year knocked us on our backs for a week, 

the young 34 yr old ,said he had NEVER anything like it before,

seem to be OK over here for now ,

but only 4 hour plane ride from  the east,

stop the pigeon........sorry Plane    lol

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

trouble is, Here most people think they dying when they just got a bad cold ,

3 of us at work had a FLU earlier in the year knocked us on our backs for a week, 

the young 34 yr old ,said he had NEVER anything like it before,

seem to be OK over here for now ,

but only 4 hour plane ride from  the east,

stop the pigeon........sorry Plane    lol

Thank you for the feedback on that. They do have 86,000 cases now. As you have said, several people have said this was a much worse flu than usual. Apparently there is something else as well in the U.S. and I am having a hard time tracking it.

Which part of Australia are your from?

Med
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 7:01pm
There is 4 different types here at the moment,

we live in Perth Western Australia
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.πŸ––

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 9:19pm
There's no mention of it here in New Zealand. Nothing at all in our papers about Australia and the flu. Over here there have been a few colds going around and a nasty cough that stays for ages, but I don't know anyone who's had the flu this winter. 

And now we're heading into spring and it's warm and sunny so hopefully we'll dodge it this time round. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 2:51am
If it's not sport,or pollies citizenship,getting rid of Australia day, and captain Cook, it's not on the news.....lol

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 7:09am
Originally posted by carbon20 carbon20 wrote:

If it's not sport,or pollies citizenship,getting rid of Australia day, and captain Cook, it's not on the news.....lol

I will take that over Wall-to-wall Trump any dayWink

ps. Thanks for posting about Oz and NZ as it is an early warning for use in the North.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 3:02pm
dont worry we get "Trump news" here aswell.....Cry  lol

Marcus Aurelius
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 8:44pm
Sadly though, alot of people are listening to the wrong news about Trump.

Stay away from MSM - CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc.  FoxNews and OAN are your best bets to getting the closest to the truth. 

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 2:58am

Not so.

All media outlets push their own agenda.  They are constrained from outright lying by the various bodies with press oversight, but can present a false picture by cherry-picking which news stories to cover.  Both sides demonstrate bias.  

To understand the current situation you need to watch both (with a liberal dose of Euronews, Russia today, China News Network, Al Jazeera and the BBC).  Anything on Facebook, Twitter and many other parts of the internet (which are considered - even legally - as chit-chat) have no oversight and CAN lie, both outright and outrageously.

If you only look at one side, you only see one side. 

America has a reputation in the wider world for being blinkered and its President being unaware of international affairs.  This can lead to huge mistakes and a series of protectionist policies which damage trade and which could lead to a collapsed state.  Its huge size has saved it so far, but risks an even greater collapse if it goes.  This is what happened to the British Empire. Remember even a Tiger can fall over a cliff if it does not look where it is going.  There is more than one reason for blindness, both actually and metaphorically.  

Being blinkered by the system would be a tragedy and a crime against the people.  Choosing to wear blinkers is unforgivable.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 3:50am
On which note.....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbfN8yuVTw  a little levity.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 5:57am
I read,the BBC,our ABC, DW,
RT, Al,Jazzera,The Times,The Daily Mail,(which I hate),The Express,Rueters,
France 24, AP, ,NPR,Hindustan timrs,The Texas Tribune,Indian times,,China today,Malaysia today.....New Scientist,Tech News,the list goes on and on, I have a long train ride to work,i DONT bother with FOXNEWS.....i have a BRAIN.....

Marcus Aurelius
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 7:46am
To drag this thread back to its original topic, (Sorry, Med!  the original topic was much appreciated.)  the Department of health weekly report says that the rates of infection are considerably higher than normal.  Although there are some B strains around, the majority of infections come from the A family of flu viruses.  

The good news is that the people getting seriously sick are the very young and old.  Though that sounds nasty, and undoubtedly is from the point of view of sufferers, it does mean that the true horrors of an uncontrollable outbreak can be easily avoided.  (The first sign that the 1918 flu was going to be a bummer was that the most seriously sick ere in their 20s and 30s.)  I am also pleased to report that current vaccines are working well.  Happily, the death rate from post viral complications is lower than normal as well.

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 4:19pm
Haven't seen many sick people on train,my daughter in law has been very sick but a heavy cold, in bad flu seasons the train is full of sniffles and coughs,not so far and we heading into summer

Marcus Aurelius
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 3:35am
It's strange that here I haven't met a single person this winter who has mentioned the flu, not even in passing. On all previous years, I've known people who've had it and it's been talked about because someone's aunt / brother / child has it, but not this year, not at all. A lull before the storm?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 4:24am
It's not really a lull, there are an estimated* 2.5 X as many cases as normal.  But it does seem to be rather mild in flu terms (if you can apply the term 'mild' to anything as nasty as flu) with a lower death rate - despite the large numbers infected, lower hospital admission rates and a penchant for the very old or young.

Most of those 'tough' Aussies probably just ignore it.  We all moan when we are violently ill, but this seems more like a virulent cold.  Not worth talking about.

*The flu reporting system parameters were changed.  This may account for much of the rise in numbers.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 7:05am
Technophobe said: "All media outlets push their own agenda".

That's why I watch BBC America. I'm sure they have an agenda but it's fairly neutral as far as U. S. politics!
Buy more ammo!
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 11:39am
On track to break the previous record of 100,000 in Australia.

Medclinician

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 12:25pm
Thank you Med for so beautifully illustrating my point about source-reliability in reporting.  Yes, the flu season is on track to be a record breaker, but in part that is because of a change in the way records are researched.  The flu itself is unusually mild.  That is why some are panicking and others have seen nothing more than bad colds.

This is the official line from the Australian government, which is backed up by anecdotal tales like KiwiMum's and Carbon's  http://www.health.gov.au/flureport#current.  Not that it needs much verification, the Aussie Government has a reasonable record when it comes to honesty and, frankly, they have no need to lie about this one.

Conversely, anyone can post anything they wish on Youtube.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 2:37pm
i had a bad flu earlier in the year,(AT Christmas it was hot and dry when i got it )and i had a flu shot in MAY,so i think im covered THIS YEAR...

the east coast of Australia is very wet this time of year,thats maybe why they hit harder ,

Perth has had a mild dry winter not much rain,it  is very dry,and hot in summer 40c+

all my kids had a very bad cold ,daughter in law had a real nasty dose,

guy at work has had a bad cold/ flu he didnt have flu shot,

no one was been off work with it so only  a mild form......

THIS TIME !!!!!!!

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic