Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

September Prepping 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: September Prepping 2017
    Posted: September 15 2017 at 4:35pm
I didn't even think about the orange situation. Thanks for the reminder.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 4:34pm
If you like orange juice stock up now. The price is about to go through the roof! Northern Florida lost the majority of it's oranges not to mention the trees. The price will be up for years!
Buy more ammo!
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2017 at 5:14am
For the previous two years, we ere constantly on watch for wild fires here in Northern California. Then last winter we were drenched with more rain than we knew what to do with. Right now Southern California is dealing with the fires. And we're dealing with all of the smoke.

Both the fires and rain have made me very aware of the different scenarios that could happen. While it's only September,we're gathering plenty of firewood, extra hay and animal feed and reorganizing the pantry. My goal is to have everything in place for Christmas by December 1st. Since I have no idea what winter will bring I'm trying to prepare for whatever may come.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 6:27pm
Satori, yes you're right! Thanks.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 4:46pm
are you maybe thinking of brown rice having a short storage life?

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information-center/self-reliance/storage-life-of-dry-foods

Brown and White Rices

Brown and white rices store very differently. Brown rice is only expected to store for 6 months under average conditions. This is because of the essential fatty acids in brown rice. These oils quickly go rancid as they oxidize. It will store much longer if refrigerated. White rice has the outer shell removed along with those fats. Because of this, white rice isn't nearly as good for you, but will store longer. Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life for white rice of 8-10 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. It should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures. Stored in the absence of oxygen, brown rice will last longer than if it was stored in air. Plan on 1 to 2 years. It is very important to store brown rice as cool as possible, for if you can get the temperature down another ten degrees, it will double the storage life again.
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 4:16pm
Don't use white rice as it doesn't store for any length of time as it goes rancid easily. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 4:15pm
Technophobe, try this: get hold of some large food grade plastic buckets with lids (here I can get them free from the deli counters at the supermarket). Because these buckets normally hold liquid food like jam, they are made from thick plastic and are very robust. I can get them in 10, 12, 15 or 20 litre sizes, although I just take what's available on the day.

Wash and dry thoroughly, and then line with a food grade plastic bag that is far too large for the bucket. Put a layer of brown rice in the bottom of the bag, then lay in a some tins, add more rice, add more tins. The aim is to get as many tins in there as possible with rice filling in all the available air space. Do this in your kitchen where hopefully you have a nice dry environment. 

When the bucket is full, gather up the edges of the bag, and seal securely with string, then bend down the top and seal securely again with string. Now put on the bucket lid, hammer down with a rubber mallet, and if you still feel the need, put some duct tape around the lid to make it more waterproof. 

Store these anywhere you like, they should remain perfectly dry. Any moisture in the bucket will be absorbed by the rice, but it will still probably be edible in a few years time. If you secure the bag properly then it should be air tight, and if you store the buckets on top of something that rats can't climb (like a freezer), they'll be fine. Just don't store in direct sunlight or this will weaken the plastic. and heat won't be good for the food inside. 
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 10:47am
The aftermath of the recent hurricanes shows how things might devolve in the case of a pandemic or other disaster.  In my home, we have a saying:  "Looters Will Be Shot." 

MARIGOT, St. Martin — At dawn, people began to gather, quietly planning for survival after Hurricane Irma.

They started with the grocery stores, scavenging what they needed for sustenance: water, crackers, fruit.

But by nightfall on Thursday, what had been a search for food took a more menacing turn, as groups of people, some of them armed, swooped in and took whatever of value was left: electronics, appliances and vehicles.

“All the food is gone now,” Jacques Charbonnier, a 63-year-old resident of St. Martin, said in an interview on Sunday. “People are fighting in the streets for what is left.”

CRS, DrPH
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 11:53am
Thanks, FluMom.  Also noted.

Electricity is rather pricey here (Damn EU!) so a dehumidifier in my barn is not an option.  The building methods of the original barn constructors was rather "open to the elements" as well, with pipes slanting downwards and outwards to channel air in and rain out.  This is great for housing cows in winter, but not so wonderful for storing tins.  It would also mean that the clock would tick faster on storage if the electricity goes out.

Wrapping my waxed tins in cling film or putting them in plastic boxes both show some promise.  Anti-damp paint is available in our local hardware store.  That is both waterproof and rubbery, so unlikely to flake, but is expensive enough to limit use.  Nonetheless, this idea is at least good enough for an experiment or two.  Other alternatives are latex glue and PVA.   Both are cheap,rubbery and abundant.  Wax, if I can pull the process off, is re-usable as light or fuel, so that is currently the favorite.  

Thanks to both of you for the input, Arirish and FluMom.  I am very bright, but not at all a quick thinker, so any input limits the stuff I lose whilst the continental drift of my thought processes churn through the options.  Much appreciated!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 11:10am
I have a problem with the paint idea. What happens when you open the cans and the paint flakes off into the food...not good. I would dip in wax and then wrap in cling wrap. You can get tons of cling wrap at Costco/Sams cheap and large enough to do #10 cans no problem.

My sister is in St. Louis and has 2 dehumidifiers in her basement and they take out 4 - 6 gallons of water out a day in the summer. She has a fully finished basement with carpet so to keep it dry she has to do this. I love Colorado...dry!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 9:48am
Thanks Arirish!  That was my reasoning.  Cling film does work, but getting a good enough seal all over is difficult.  I will try the paint idea.

Glad things are going ok Satori.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 4:50am
since IRMA took such a strong westerly tact
I am completely out of the danger zoneThumbs Up

one of the things i like about "prepping"
is that your ready for a hurricane in January
and a snow storm in July

lets me sleep easy at night !
“The point of modern propaganda isn’t only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.” Gary Kasparov
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 11:06pm
Technophobe said - "I am trying an experiment"

I'm sure you know rust is iron oxide and for it to form you must have iron or steel which is made from iron and O2 in the presents of H2O. So. to eliminate rust you just have to remove one of the ingredients! Since wax will keep O2 and H2O away from the steel it should work but if the wax is compromised in any way you lose the protection. As long as it's an experiment why not paint a few with a clear rustoleum type paint and try wrapping some in a cling wrap. You'll also want a control group. Good luck and let us know the results!

By the way, it's very humid here too in the summer. I have an 8' X 16' pantry off our kitchen and we use a De-humidifier in there when it's humid to keep the moisture down, the water drains outside and my wife collects it to use in the garden.

Satori - Be safe my friend! Stay high and dry and watch yer top knot!
Buy more ammo!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 7:30pm
Well I have added at least 12 packs of KI in case the little crazy fat kid in NK nukes us. I need to look at what I have in meds in my basement. I guess I need to get rid of my dry eggs and egg whites and my milk they are 10 yrs old and need to be tossed I guess.

Other than that I am in pretty good shape.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 5:12pm
With the recent hurricanes, it has made me realize one case of bottled water on hand is not enough. I used to be so prepared, but over the years my stockpiles have dwindled. Time to restock some things.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 2:36am
It's only what climate science has been telling us for years,bigger more intense storms.....no one listening

Wake up

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

"prepping " for  hurricane Irma's possible visitation hereUnhappy

Stay safe - and that includes anyone else who might be in Irma's path.

I hadn't checked on the strength or track since early yesterday. Cat 5 already? It was bouncing between 2 and 3 last I looked. What happened to 4? I know meteorologists were marveling at it's rapid intensification from a tropical storm, but that thing really picked up steam in 24 hours. Could this become the new normal? I sincerely hope not Shocked

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 8:02am
In addition to boarding up windows and doing last minute structural shoring-up, it might be a good idea to move valuables and delicate things upstairs.  A real pain in the bum, especially if they have to go back down after nothing happens!  But, if it does go pear-shaped it will have been a truly great move.  

You have probably already thought of both this and more, but I would rather risk looking an idiot than risk your not thinking of it.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 7:37am
near a couple of rivers and a creek
last time this area flooded really bad was in the mid 1950's
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 7:07am
Scary!   Be safe chum!

Let us know how you get on ASAP.  Are you on low land, or near the coast?
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 6:37am
"prepping " for  hurricane Irma's possible visitation hereUnhappy
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 4:55am
I am trying an experiment

Our climate is very wet here.  As a result tins tend to rust and packets go soggy.  Glass breaks, plastic is not so mouse-proof and of course, frozen needs a power supply.  I am currently melting a large pot of left over candle wax and dipping tins in it.  

It is early days to tell if this method of protection will work.  I can think of two potential problems, mouse damage to the wax and cracks from bashing tins.  (i am using parafin wax and being very gentle.)  If anyone else has tried it, I would be interested to know how you got on.  If not, then I will return to this thread in a year or so and let you know how it worked out.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 8:12pm
What's everyone working on this month? I defrosted my upright freezer so far and cleaned out my pantry. I need to stock up on some items.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic