Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Chad: Cholera Outbreak - Aug 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chad: Cholera Outbreak - Aug 2017
    Posted: October 12 2017 at 7:19am
I had a dream about Chad last night and there were hundreds of people dying. I had never even researched the place and hardly knew where it was. I had to Google it this morning to even find it in Africa.

We need to pay attention to these countries. For one they are a primary target for ISIS and secondly a place where nasty pandemic viruses could develop.

Medclinician
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 6:24am
I did not stick this in the news as it is two months old already.  'And I've only just found it!  Sorry!

It appears to be under control except for a few small remote villages.

On 15 August 2017, the Ministry of Health of Chad notified WHO of a suspected cholera outbreak in Koukou District, Sila Region in the south-east of the country (bordering Sudan). The outbreak first emerged on 14-15 August 2017 when the local health facility (Tioro Health Centre) reported a cluster of 50 cases of acute watery diarrhoea including 13 deaths (case fatality rate 26%) from Marena, a remote village in Koukou District. Subsequently, suspected cases have been reported by the Dogdoré Health Centre (receiving cases from Dabanalaye and Hilé Hussein villages) since 19 August 2017, and most recently from the GozAmir and Koukou Urbain (Quartier Habilé) health centres since 4 September 2017. As of 5 September 2017, 206 cholera cases including 25 deaths (case fatality rate 12.1%) have been reported across Koukou district. Marena (133 cases) and Dogdoré (64 cases) are currently the worst affected regions. The situation in Goz-Amir (2 cases) and Koukou Urbain (1 case) are also being monitored closely. (WHO, 8 Sep 2017)

MSF’s emergency response team in Chad was quick to arrive in Koukou to investigate the first suspected cases. Cholera treatment units were then established in two of the villages with the most cases. The team has also set up an epidemiological surveillance system, hygiene awareness-raising and water treatment activities. The possible threat of cholera spreading to other villages and to the Goz Amir refugee camp, where 33,000 Sudanese are living, remains a cause for concern....The MSF-supported cholera treatment unit in Marena village was the first to treat patients affected by the disease. Despite the decrease in case numbers, there is still a regular stream of patients. The situation is more precarious in a second treatment centre in Dogdoré. Before MSF arrived, patients in this unit were taken care of by the only nurse in the health centre in Dogdoré. Access to Dogdoré has been slowed down by wadis (rivers and streams), which have overflowed due to torrential rains. The flooding has several times prevented teams from accessing the site of the health centre with their equipment.n. (MSF, 15 Sep 2017)

The cholera outbreak in Chad continues with active transmission occurring in two regions. Since our last report on 8 September 2017 (week 36), 139 additional cases including 26 deaths (case fatality rate 18.7%) have been reported. Since the onset of the outbreak on 14 August 2017, a total of 445 cases including 56 deaths (case fatality rate 12.6%) were reported, as of 25 September 2017. The cholera outbreak has eventually spread to the Salamat Region, in addition to Sila Region, which was initially affected. However, Sila Region is still disproportionately affected with an attack rate of 2.3%, accounting for 95% (422/445) of the total caseload. (WHO, 29 Sep 2017)

As of 7 October, a cholera outbreak that erupted in August in the south-eastern Salamat and Sila regions had infected 519 people and claimed 63 lives. The outbreak appears to be under control in Sila region as no further cases have been reported in the past week. The disease has spread to more villages in Salamat region, infecting 58 people and killing 11. WHO, MSF and UNICEF are providing treatment, water and raising cholera awareness. (OCHA, 9 Oct 2017)

Source:    https:///reliefweb.int/disaster/ep-2017-000129-tcd

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic