Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Prepping for Non-Prepping Family

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prepping for Non-Prepping Family
    Posted: March 16 2006 at 2:28pm

I would like to spend $100 of my very limited prep money towards bare minimum preps for family members that I know will show up at my door if this hits.

Total of 4 adults & 2 kids

What to buy with $100??

I go by Sam's Club Daily.

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:01pm

wow.

$100 for 6 people... for HOW LONG?

I appreciate that it's very generous of you, NCGirl, and probably a sacrifice to even spend that much.  I do have to wonder why these 4 adults cannot be bothered to invest $100 in their own continued survival.

The only thing I can think of that will have any hope of making a difference is bulk pinto beans and rice.  Together they make a nutritional meal.  You can get an inexpensive pressure cooker for $17 at Walmart, which will cook beans in 30 minutes instead of 4 hours and rice in 5 minutes instead of 20-30 minutes (conserve fuel).  Throw in a couple of large boxes of quaker oats for variety, and a couple of cans of canned meat (chicken, tuna or spam) and a bottle of multi-vitamins.

4 x 8.99  (35.96) 25 lb Dried Pinto Beans

4 x 6.69 (26.76) 25 lb Bulk White Rice

$6 Swimming Pool Chlorine (dry Calcium Hypochlorite) for H2O purification

$17.50  Small Pressure Cooker

$11.69 Multi-Vitamin 500 ct.

(food prices checked at Costco last week, P.cooker at Walmart)

Whatever canned meat & oatmeal you can get with the remaining $2 plus any additional you decide to spend on these deadbeats.  Sorry, that was judgemental.  I'm in a bit of a foul mood right now over people who can read the papers, see it on the internet, listen to Oprah, ABC News, Fox News Channel etc. etc. and remain willfully stubbornly BLIND to all of it, and expect someone else to be responsible for their sorry A$$ once the $H4!T has hit the fan.  Anyone tries that with me, they will be lucky to get a can of spam, a package of crackers, and the business end of a shotgun telling them "that's all you get, if you come back you'll be leaving with some lead in the seat of your pants".  Which would be where their brains currently reside if they can't put 2 + 2 together and take some F*ing responsibility for themselves and THEIR CHILDREN - HELLO?

Ahem - this concludes my rant, we now rejoin our regularly scheduled post, already in progress.

As a ballpark number, figure 1 lb of re-hydrated food per person per day.  That makes this roughly a 2 month supply of food for 6 people.  When they show up on your doorstep, bring out the food and tell them good bye and good luck. Then lock your door.  You don't need that kind of dead weight hanging around.  Plus you don't need to watch their children suffer because of their parents stupidity.

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:13pm

NCgirl,

I'm expecting to have to bail out people with more money than me, too.

Chafing pot fuel is top of my list. I can get two cannisters for $1.00 at Dollar Tree. Sams club sould have name brand Sterno for a bit more, but still affordable. THey will have to figure out how to prop up their pans on their own. Some bricks should work.

Walmart sells 1.3 quart thermoses for $14.00 that I'm expirementing with.

I'm planning on making up baggies of soup mix and breakfast cereal that they can cook in the thermos. I'm still working on this.

Also Ramen noodles, tuna, mac and cheese, ham, pancake mix and syrup, candy.

The ingredients for "Wacky Cake". I'm starting to save bottles and jars to pour some oil and vinegar in. The dry ingredients will go in a baggy. I'm going to try frying the batter like pancakes and see if it's good.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:19pm

be very careful about handing out food during a pandemic.  you don't want your neighbors or people passing by to see or you'll have a real problem. 

if you are absolutely going to buy preps for them I would focus on water, rice, canned beans, canned beef stew, protein/ration bars, and ready to eat soups. and extra can openers.

but once their supply of items that you give them runs out what will they do?  they'll be begging to stay with you.

willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:20pm
Bruss01- I agree, I feel the same way towards a lot of my family members.  It's so frustrating!
BF WATCHER View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BF WATCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:32pm
WAY TO GO BRUSSO01 LET THEM EAT GRASS FOR ALL WE CARE WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN ALL THE WARNINGS VERY QUIETLY BUT.... WE GET IT WHAT DON'T THEY GET??? i HAVE TOLD AND HELPED EVERY ONE I COULD THAT WOULD LISTEN BUT..... SOME JUST DON'T GET IT GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ON KEEPIN ON!!!!!!!
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by KatDoe67 KatDoe67 wrote:

Chafing pot fuel is top of my list. I can get two cannisters for $1.00 at Dollar Tree. Sams club sould have name brand Sterno for a bit more, but still affordable. THey will have to figure out how to prop up their pans on their own. Some bricks should work.

Also Ramen noodles, tuna, mac and cheese, ham, pancake mix and syrup, candy.

KatDoe -  Good suggestions on affordable bulk foods.  If she has an additional $100 besides the beans & rice money, these would provide some variety and extend the menu out another month.  Beans and rice may be a "complete" food, but after the first month of nothing else you'd probably be willing to chew off your own arm as a substitute.  B&R will keep body and soul together, probably cheaper than any other source of food.  She has a large number of people and a pittifully small amount of money to invest. B&R is the best way to stretch it.  I think anything less than 2 months is not worth the effort - after all, most people can go for at least a month without food as long as they have water.  Won't be fun, though.

Chaffing pot fuel - Am I to understand you mean something like Sterno?  I've done some testing with it.  It's alcohol based, and doesn't get very hot. Warm, yes - Hot, no.  I was unsuccessful in getting it to boil water.  It may be good for warming a can of spaghettio's, but it won't actually cook anything.  Have you ever tried this for yourself?  Maybe your experience is different than mine.  I'm just assuming they'll scavenge for sticks & twiggs, pull the siding off the house, whatever, using the wood for small cooking fires.  For $100 there's no way you could include cooking fuel in that budget and have any reasonable amount left for food.

NCGirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 5:40pm

O.P. here:  My mom has advanced stage 4 cancer which she has been fighting for over a year.  It has spread to her bones and several organs so her time is limited at this point.  I don't know how much this has to do with thier attitude about the "possible" danger of BF when there is a very real danger right in front of them.  Or, perhaps they would feel the same no matter if she were perfectly healthy.  Most everyone I know feels this way unfortunately. 

Regardless of her situation, I want to do a little something to help out my family where I can.  I am on a very limited budget so I can only do so much right now.

We have a hand dug well that we could throw a bucket down for water if power were off so we are good as far as water goes.

I have about 200#'s of rice and 100# of dried beans plus about 150 cans of veggies, a dozen #10 cans of fruits for myself, hubby and grandmother who we would move in with if the time came.   Now I feel somewhat confident about our own provisions I want to do what I can to help my family within my budget.   

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 6:26pm

O.P. I'm really sorry to hear about your mom and I'm sure they are dealing with all they can right now. It is wonderful of you to carry this burden for them. I'm sure it will be very much appreciated when the time comes. Hopefully things might not get hot right away and if bf doesn't hit us until the fall then you will have more time to prepare and maybe your family will see the need and join you.

Good luck and g-d bless. :>} fritz

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 7:23pm

NCGirl -

Sorry to hear about your mom.  Guess I leapt to conclusions in the absence of any details.  Gotta watch that, my apologies.  I DO hear so many tales of healthy, able-bodied people who are just in denial or who so "live for the moment" that they can't be bothered to take note of this emerging situation.  I have trouble working up any sympathy for THEM.

Are you able to talk to them, maybe get them a little more informed?  Your mom and grandmother especially have to have some awareness that they are especially vulnerable to any illnesses that might start going around... can you get any "buy in" there?  Frankly, $100 is a drop in a bucket if your aim is to be prepared for a pandemic.  Do either of them have a "root cellar" or home canned fruits or vegetables?  Maybe a pooling of resources approach would work for you folks.  Just out of curiosity, who are the children and who are their parents?

God bless and good luck.

mini-mouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 7:23pm
NgGirl -Try to make sure the your mom has a very good supply of her pain medications - 6 months if at all possible - that may be the only thing she will need desparatly and be unable to get . If you are taking care of the food for them you are doing a very kind and wonderful thing. My utmost respect to you and may God bless.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 8:04pm
Another thing to consider is that, since apparently so few Americans are prepping, it is likely that the federal government is planning something, foodwise, for communities where quarantines are mandated.

Seems to me, that I read something somewhere about the National Guard would deliver food & medicine to homes under quarantine; anyway, IF this hypothesis is accurate, it seems to me that the military would prolly be delivering commodities --- more beans & rice & oatmeal & powdered milk --- and, of course MREs.

Just a thought...

Maybe there's info online about the DOD plans for civilian emergencies.
kayeeng3 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayeeng3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2006 at 8:38pm

My prayers are with you concerning your mom.  Do you have Hospice for her?  When my grandmother was ill with end stage bone cancer, they gave us an unlimted supply of pain meds. 

Something to think about.  Well maybe not unlimited, but enough for a few months at a time.

kaye in Colorado
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 3:44am
Your mom will need lots of extra prescriptions for her medicines.  How well does she eat?  Can she eat lots of solid foods like rice and beans?  Does she get stomach sick a lot?  You may think of getting some large jars of baby food and infant cereal.  I'm getting some just to have on hand for my own family.  Infant cereal is very good nutritionally. 
NCGirl View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 4:01am

Bruss01, no need to apologize I have felt the same way myself a few times.   So many times you hear of the naysayers that you become a little defensive, at least I do. 

Anyway, yes, she does have a lot of pain meds right now so hopefully she will stay stocked up there.   Luckily, she is not in much pain right now but we know it is coming. 

No hospice yet, she is not that far along.  She just finished another round of chemo. She is still fighting the good fight.

They just won't get with the program as far as putting any food away.  I realize that thier mind is completely wrapped around the cancer but for my sister/BIL and her 2 small children I Have to do Something no matter how small my contribution.  If it holds off for many months I can do a little more.  They have always been here for me, now it is just my turn.

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 5:00am

I'm going to fire up the fondue pot today and make sure it gets water to a roaring boil :-) I've been meaning to do that!

NCgirl, we just had a drawn out death in the family, and it really crimped my prepping time and even time to think about it. I know where you are coming from!

I'll let you know how the chafing pot fuel goes. Russ's idea of a pressure cooker might be better, if you think they can cook outside, but I know I don't want to be dependant on outside cooking here! It's cold, windy and wet here much of the year.

I was laying in bed last night thinking about this. How much to waste on comfort food and how much to spend on pure survival. Since we don't know what's coming...it's hard to know :-0

For someone like your mom...I think I'd put away a bit of comfort food as appetetite fatigue will set in almost instantly. I'm realizing though...that for the strong and healthy...I shouldn't really reward them at my expense.

I'm going to plan on some Ramen, but think I will stick to beans, rice, a baggy of mixed spices and vegetable flakes, oatmeal, dry milk, tea, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and oil. And a good thermos or a pressure cooker.

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:50am

KatDoe -  We are trying to keep our supplies of "basic survival" foods like rice and beans about even with our supply of "everyday" foods like canned chilli etc. Right now I feel comfortable that we have a 3-4 month supply on hand, not bad.  Hoping to get up to a year at some point.  Working on the storage space situation. As we add to our preps we try to extend them both.  I figure we start out 75-25, then 50-50, then 25-75 until the "everyday" food runs out.  At this point I think that's about 3 months, probably we have an addiditonal few weeks of rice & beans alone.  Working on getting a little more while laying in additional preps... adding to everything as we go along in a spiral fashion.

Let us know how the fondue pot goes!

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 6:58am
Originally posted by willow41 willow41 wrote:

....You may think of getting some large jars of baby food and infant cereal.  I'm getting some just to have on hand for my own family.  Infant cereal is very good nutritionally. 

We have no infants in our household, but always have quite a quantity of baby cereals, arrowroot cookies, and jars of pureed baby fruits on hand.

I consider them a mandatory medical supply, LOL -- because no matter how upset an adult stomach may become, it seems that one can always digest the baby cereal.

I'll have to check the box to see the nutritional content, didn't realize that it was considered nutritive.

One of the first things on my prep list is to get a supply of Ensure-type bottled beverage-"foods" ---- they have too much corn syrup in them, but the sheer fact is that very ill people have remained alive with that as their sole nutrition for weeks & weeks --- so it is another very digestible food for the ill, like the baby food cereals and jars of pureed fruit.
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 12:17pm

I have several jars of baby carrots and sweet potatoes for making soups with. In this book I got "The can opener gourmet", she suggests it and I thought it was a great idea. They have a nice shelf life, no need for a blender or cooking, all the prep work done already. Here is one of her recipies I wanted to try.

Cream of Ginger-Carrot Soup

six 4 oz. jars of carrot baby food, one 12 oz. can evaporated milk, 1 tea. ground ginger and 1 tea. rice vinegar

Combine the carrot and milk in a saucepan over med heat. Add the ginger and vinegar, stirring to make sure the ginger is thoroughly dissolved.  Serve when heated enough.

This should be very comforting and nutricious(sp?) if your'e not feeling well or good for you even if you are doing fine. I would maybe sub. one jar of sweet pot. in there too for variety or added richness. Lots of vit. A and minimal fuel use here!  All the best, me :>}

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 1:11pm

Omega,

I've lived off Ensure and Jello for weeks. Yes, it can be done. For 2 years I had SEVERE stomach pains and lost 40 pounds. Thankfully I'm doing a bit better now, but yeah, you can live off Ensure and Jello :-)

Bruss,

Thanks to you I got a kick in the butt and tested out my cooking supplies. The fuel doesn't fit in the fondue pot :-( The Chafing pot, as I knew is NOT the best method for boiling water, and will be better for heating up a family size portion of a canned meal. It DID bring cold water to a rolling boil though, also as I expected. It's just unsafe to try and pour out the water.

I drove to a military store and bought a camping stove. I'll test it out tomorrow, but it looks good. Store clerk looked at me like I was nuts when I walked in. I guess tiny, little blondes don't come in very often. She stared at me so hard, I asked if they were open :-0 I lied and said I was looking for camping gear :-)

Fuel works GREAT. It's just setting up the "kitchen" that's a bit trickier :-)

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 1:13pm
Oh, the metal "stove" was $4.99. I only bought one till I test it out, but plan to buy several more to have on hand for those unprepared brats in my family.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

I have several jars of baby carrots and sweet potatoes for making soups with. In this book I got "The can opener gourmet", she suggests it and I thought it was a great idea. They have a nice shelf life, no need for a blender or cooking, all the prep work done already......

Goodness, that soup sounds absolutely delicious -- thanks so much for sharing! I'll have to take a look at that cook book some day when I'm at a bookstore.

There are so very many pureed vegetables for baby, so the possible cream soups for adults are many.
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 1:34pm
Gald to help. Your very welcome. You can go to Amazon.com to check out the book too if you like. :>}
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:27pm
  Can someone please tell me if they have found some kind of stove that you can use to safely cook inside?  There might be times when you can't go out to cook on a camp stove.  The electricity might be off. and ect.  I thought i saw something on one of the post but i can't remember where.  Thanks a lot for any advice.  Please feel free to PM me. I already have a fondue set.  Will anyone be using those small toaster ovens before the electricity goes off?  Is it a good idea to have one so you don't have to use your large oven?
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 5:40am
i have a folding stove and nuwick candles that i got from Nitro-pak. sorry i don't have a link. just look up nitro-pak. 
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 9:39am
Originally posted by NCGirl NCGirl wrote:

I would like to spend $100 of my very limited prep money towards bare minimum preps for family members that I know will show up at my door if this hits.

What to buy with $100??

I've decided that I am going to start FOUR different bags, each identical to oneanother, containing items that I find on deep discount that I normally pick up for my own family to put into my stash of storage preps.

The first item each bag will receive is a 6-pack of Raman Noodles ($1); in fact, maybe I'll put two different flavors inm (for $2 per bag = $8 total expenditure.)

Occasionally, I find superb deals like canned soup at 4/$1 or canned veggies at 5/$1 and on those occasions, I'll simply pick up an extra four at that time.

Last year I happened upon mandarin oranges at 8/$1, and that is another type of item I'd purchase in multiples of four to place in these probable Give Away bags.

If we enter really dire straights, I'd like to know that I can help out close neighbors with a little something 'extra' that won't break my bank account but might potentially really help them.

I'd prefer to have a wide variety of items, and not simply purchase a huge sack of rice and several bags of dried beans.

I think MOST Americans will have difficulty dealing with a diet of canned goods, much less the problems encountered with an instantaneous change to the diet with beans/rice/grains/powdered milk/etc.

I'm thinking, too, that the next time I see plastic storage containers on deep discount, that I'll pick up four.

AND, with these items, I'm going to stick white labels on them showing the expiration dates in easy to find and easy to read format ----- because these items will no longer be with the normally rotated items.

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:31am
You can get camping "stoves" that use the fondue and chafing pot fuel. I would have used my fondue pot if it fit my fuel :-0 I got a camping "stove" for the fuel, only because the fondue pot couldn't use it. I got mine at the local military store. They are widely available in camping stores and catalogs. THey are just a folding piece of metal for the chafing pot fuel to rest in, and to support a pot. There are MANY homemade versions using cut up cans.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 10:30am
Originally posted by NCGirl NCGirl wrote:

What to buy with $100??

One hundred dollars is not very much money for six people.

Were I you, I would NOT spend that hundred dollars at this time, but wait as long as possible --- and meantime continue prepping for your own family, particularly stocking up during sales, deep discounts, clearance items.

One hundred dollars simply is NOT enough money to take care of your parents, for any lengthy amount of time.

IF your family gives you birthday & Christmas presents, you might inform them that you only want gift certificates to the grocery store because you are the only member of the entire extended family who is prepping and you are VERY worried about your own children having enough to eat to survive in light of the fact that none of their adult relatives are prepping.....

That 'subtle' hint might work......

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 3:25pm
I intended to start FOUR bags of identical items, but quickly cut that in half to TWO BAGS, and am frankly amazed at how quickly it's gonna add up into serious dollars simply filling two grocery bags.

I'm buying stuff in pairs, keeping track of the cost, getting stuff like Easy Mac, Oatmeal, Instant Potatoes, Chunky Soup, Pancake mix & Syrup, canned veggies....

I don't really notice when buying for my own family cuz all the preps just go into the pantry on a rotating basis - but I'm also buying the normal food, the fresh food, so I really hadn't realized how much the stuff is costing, but in trying to put together a couple "Give Away" Bags, it's adding up quite quickly, and I've not got any canned meat in them yet.

Who'da thunk it!?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic