Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Misc. Forums > Report Technical Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Posts
    Posted: June 19 2018 at 3:26pm
Sorry. Boss!  I always seem to be the bringer of bad news these days.

All the new posts are showing up as normal at the bottom of the main page, but if I click on the 'new posts' option at the top right of the page i just get Med's last post and this

AMuRiKA
By Satori, 06 June 2018 at 11:18am

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000b'

Division by zero

/active_topics.asp, line 926

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 6:50am
Hi Tech, thanks. Will look into that.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 8:01am
It has been fine and normal all day today - so far, Boss.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 6:04am
Sorry, Boss! The same problem is back. "new posts" and "member search" are affected; I have not tried all options, so there might be more.
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:13am

"500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:37am
I've been getting that error too, Tabitha.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:46am
Sorry folks, several ways of accessing new posts have gone that way.

I've reported it to the Boss several hours ago.

Meanwhile, I'm just clicking on each forum in turn and then examininng all posts posted since my last visit.

I'm probably still going to miss something. Sorry, best I can do.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 12:52pm
I started getting that message on my computer yesterday, but the new post button on my Android phone is still working fine. Just fyi
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 1:54pm
I can't scroll previous pages,won't load. Is it the glitch or is it may IPad?
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 1:56pm
Hard to be sure, but probably our glitch.
KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:03am
Now the new posts function on my Android phone doesn't work either. Just fyi...
admin View Drop Down
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:20pm
Now try it all and please let us know. It should be fixed.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:21pm
Seems fine!
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:35pm
Since you are talking about the site having issues did anyone last night at 2 am EST have a very ultrasound level noise come out of their phone for an hour? I have an iphone 5 which just the day before run an update? It made my dog go nuts and my husband and I got headaches until we turned off our phones?? I know this sounds crazy and my physics and communications retired husband did not believe me until he got out his sound meter and recorded it. It did stop when phone was off and did not start up this morning when I turned the phone on again.   Maybe just going crazy
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:37pm
Sorry forgot to mention that I was on your site when it started
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:43pm
I don't have a smartphone.

Now, 2am for you would be about 6pm for me. I was on the site and had no problems with my computer, old-fashioned mobile phone or TV.

BUT, my TV developed an high pitched scream around 2 hours before that. Turning it off and on again solved that.

It was not the first time. I thought it was just a problem with my TV.

My TV is connected to both a sattelite dish and my router.
admin View Drop Down
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:48pm
Usk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:50pm
Not sure how connected. My husband sent out email to key people in the knew this morning but hasn’t heard anything back yet. I am near Washington DC and an airport. Maybe something was going on with those people
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 10:34pm
Thanks for fixing the New Posts problem Smile
admin View Drop Down
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 2:54am
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 4:19am
OH BOY! THANK YOU!!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:07am
I'v had a good look around. All looks great now. I will try a few other things, but all good so far.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 5:28am
Just trying this as an upload experiment. Details of experiment at the bottom of the page.

Coronavirus: the huge unknowns
The Observer
Coronavirus outbreak

With no vaccines or treatments and limited diagnostic tools, we face a tough challenge in the fight against Covid-19

Robin McKie Science Editor

Sun 16 Feb 2020 07.22 GMT
First published on Sat 15 Feb 2020 18.31 GMT

Afew years ago, the World Health Organisation published a list of pathogens which it said needed urgent scientific attention. All were viruses, none had known treatments or vaccines, and all had the potential to trigger pandemics that could kill thousands – just as Ebola and swine flu did earlier this century.

The viral dangers outlined in WHO’s list included Nipah disease, as well as Lassa and Rift Valley fevers. Crucially, after much discussion, WHO experts later decided to add a new condition to this menu of maladies: Disease X.

Disease X referred to “a serious international epidemic caused by a pathogen currently unknown”, said WHO. Humanity should now be working to seek out and tackle such mystery ailments, it added – though it was assumed they would remain remote threats for some time.

This hope now looks forlorn with the sudden emergence of the respiratory disease Covid-19, which has rapidly acquired most of the characteristic of a Disease X. It is caused by a virus for which there is no vaccine or treatment and has already spread to 25 countries since first appearing in China two months ago. Very soon it may be officially labelled a pandemic, an epidemic gone global.

The question is: was enough done to prepare the world for the emergence of Disease X, given that such a prospect had already been earmarked as a realistic risk? And what lessons do we now need to learn in a world that will certainly see further appearances of others?

These points have been stressed by Bill Gates, the billionaire philanthropist. “Given the continual emergence of new pathogens ... and the ever-increasing connectedness of our world, there is a significant probability that a large and lethal pandemic will occur in our lifetime,” he warned some time ago.

A sufficiently deadly one will have the impact of a nuclear war, added Gates, who has urged authorities to stockpile antiviral drugs and therapies in preparation.

Such approaches are backed by other experts who argue that, while the US, UK and EU may have strong, well-funded health services, poorer nations in Africa and Asia – where new disease outbreaks are most likely to occur – have health services that are often poorly funded and close to breaking point.

“This is not going to be the last outbreak of a previously unknown disease,” said Professor Trudie Lang, of Oxford University. “We have to strengthen the research capabilities of nations where new diseases emerge but which currently have the poorest ability to respond to the emergence caused by these viruses.”

Many WHO initiatives are aimed at providing improved health networks in these countries, said Lang, but more still needs to be done. “We have to seize the moment.”

This point was backed by Dr Josie Golding, epidemics lead at the Wellcome Trust. “World health authorities have spent a lot of time and money making plans for dealing with the next major outbreak, which was assumed would be an influenza pandemic. A lot of investment has gone into making influenza vaccines, for example.

Arrowe Park Hospital on Merseyside, where British nationals repatriated from the coronavirus-hit city of Wuhan, China, spent two weeks in quarantine

“But have we been thinking about diseases other than influenza that might become pandemics? I don’t think we have. There has been a real gap in our thinking. We just didn’t envisage a Disease X emerging on the scale we had seen with an influenza pandemic. We will do that in future.”

Another indication of the problem was provided last week by WHO when it revealed that most countries in its African region had no ability to test for the Covid-19 virus. Yet China’s influence in Africa is strong and many fear there is a real risk of the virus being brought into nations there. Undetected, it could become a new epidemic centre for Covid-19.

The problem was stressed last week by Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO’s director general. “Our greatest fear remains the damage the coronavirus could do in a country like Democratic Republic of the Congo,” he said. Worryingly, it was revealed on Friday that a Corvid-19 case has just been discovered in Egypt.

According to Lang, the key to the problem lies with good diagnostics. At the moment, saliva samples are taken to laboratories to be tested. “What the world really needs is a handheld diagnostic kit that can be used by a health worker and does not require samples being shipped off to central labs. Then we can get a measure of how quickly a disease liked Covid-19 is establishing itself.”

To date, there have been more than 69,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 infection and more than 1,660 deaths since the disease first appeared. However, outside China, there have been only 500 cases and four deaths: one in Hong Kong, one in the Philippines, one in Japan, and one in France.

It remains to be seen if the disease will be limited in its spread, said Professor Mark Woolhouse of Edinburgh University. “There are so many huge unknowns about this outbreak. For example, we don’t know just how infectious people are before they show symptoms. That makes it impossible to predict what is going to happen.”

Woolhouse added that both the UK and WHO had learned lessons from recent pandemics, but mostly on those involving influenza. “The trouble is, this outbreak is caused by a very different virus. And unlike flu, there are no vaccines or treatments and, crucially, no pre-existing immunity in the population.” During the 2009-10 flu pandemic this had protected many older people because they had already been exposed to the virus strain involved.

“On the other hand, it takes longer for a person with the coronavirus to pass it on to another person than it does with flu,” added Woolhouse. “So that slows things down.”

At present, health services are trying to contain Covid-19 using case detection, isolation and prevention of onward transmission. That has involved, to date, the testing of almost 3,000 people in the UK, according to the Department of Health and Social Care. Of these, nine tested positive.

Thus, several hundred negatives were produced for each detection of one case. If the disease is perceived in future as an even greater danger than it is now, health services could be overwhelmed. That, in turn, risks disrupting treatments for other serious illnesses which Britain’s NHS is already struggling to treat.

Nor will the nation be protected against disruptions far from our shores. An example is provided by the digger manufacturer JCB which last week announced it was cutting working hours for 4,000 of its staff because it was facing a shortage of components from China.

“It is quite simple: outbreaks like these are problems that affect the whole planet,” added Lang.

What is a coronavirus?
Before this new coronavirus (Covid-19), there were six known to infect humans. Four of these cause a mild common cold-type illness and two can result in more severe disease: Severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers). They are transmitted via droplets in coughs and sneezes.

Where did this one originate? Why there?
On 31 December 2019, Chinese authorities notified the WHO of an outbreak of viral pneumonia in Wuhan City. Coronaviruses can jump from one species to another. A study published in Nature suggests that the novel coronavirus, now named Covid-19, originated in bats. It is possible that humans first picked up the virus in a meat market.

What are the symptoms?
Most people who get the virus will have only symptoms similar to winter flu, but a small proportion, often the elderly, will develop pneumonia . The symptoms of the virus can include dry cough, fever and fatigue.

Source, photos (including the viral particle) and graphics of cell infiltration: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/15/coronavirus-the-huge-unknows-by-robin-mckie

Everything has worked perfectly with 2 exceptions. 1 I could not upload pictures and graphics. I think that was their fault as they don't want to lose control of copyrighted stuff. 2 the automatic hyperlink did not work. The instructions to the computer inside the square brackets read: {URL= }{/URL} instead of {URL} {/URL}. I have used the wrong brackets to illustrate this, so the computer did not read my explanation as an instruction. Get the rubber duck out.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Usk Usk wrote:

Sorry forgot to mention that I was on your site when it started

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 6:14am
x
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 6:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic