Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Air Conditioner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Conditioner
    Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:09am

Question:  I have an air conditioner in my living room (I live in an apartment).  I think it's an older model air conditioner.  I'm worried because I've heard and seen birds outside near it, so it's a weak link.  Would duct taping a garbage bag or something else over it be enough to keep the air outside if TSHTF?     

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:19am
I would think that you should check if you can do that, I have central Air and the hot air is expelled outside.  So before you do anything find out, as you don't want to ruin your machine.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:22am
It's not central air, it's just a window unit.  If TS really does HTF, there probably wouldn't be electricity to run the air conditioner.  In a worst case scenario, I'd be staying at my parents' cabin up in northern MN, and not in a metropolitian area.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:18am
I would remove the a/c unit from the sleeve and then eighter put carboard(plywood) over the hole or sometimes were you live supplies a metal sleeve to go over it...then i would duct tape it closed...we live in cold climate and sometimes it easier to remove your a/c to keep heat costs down...and if you are staying at parents that might leave and easy way for looters to break in...
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:32am

I don't have a sleeve to put over it that I know of.  The unit was already installed when I moved in.   Plywood is a good idea.

I'm not staying with my parents currently.  I'd only go to the cabin if things looked like they were going to get bad.  Heck, there's still snow up there (not that there isn't here, but it's colder in the northern part of the state).

Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:43am
I have a 3-day bug out bag and am thinking of making another. 

Edit:  Is there ar time warp on this site, or is it only me?  I keep noticing my posts before people's posts that I just replied to...weird. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:46am

It doesn't sound like we are going to get much warning. Who has said they will only change the level when it goes to 6.  So be prepared to go on a minute's notice.

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 12:56pm

Since you live in an apartment you are probably not allowed to have a generator. Consider the following for minor back up power in an apartment, to run a small TV , radio, or electric light.

1. Buy a 400-600 watt  AC/DC inverter from Wal-mart (auto section), Sams, truck stop, or other auto store.($50-100).This is a device that converts car batteries (12 volts) to normal household AC power. Truckers use them to power various appliances in their semi trucks. 

2. Buy a car battery (12 volt, I get the smaller ones for my wife due to the reduced weight) and the marine battery case to fit it. Try to get the same size car battery as for your car, you can use it as a backup for your car, or you can use your car to recharge the battery. Put the battery in the plastic box so that if the battery ever leaks , the apartment will not be damaged.The Coast Guard requires boats put their batteries in plastic boxes so that if they leak the acid will not go into the water, so Wal-mart has many of these. (Cost $50-Wal-mart battery and black box)

3. Buy some 25 watt bulbs. When the electricity goes off you merely connect the inverter to the battery (the red clamp to the positive terminal, the black clamp to the negative terminal)  and plug in your regular lamp with the 25 watt bulb to the electrical outlet on the inverter. A charged car battery will run the 25 watt bulb for about 3 1/2 hours of continous use, or a small TV about 2 hours. A 25 watt bulb is very bright when everyone else is on candles.

We used these here in Florida during hurricanes, and gave each kid their own for their  Xbox and small TV. Also get a cheap 5" fan from Walmart ($10) which doesn't use much power. 

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 1:04pm

True, but there is a generator at the cabin, which is one of the reasons I would go there.

The light bulbs are a good idea.  I have a battery operated Coleman lantern.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

Since you live in an apartment you are probably not allowed to have a generator. Consider the following for minor back up power in an apartment, to run a small TV , radio, or electric light.

1. Buy a 400-600 watt  AC/DC inverter from Wal-mart (auto section), Sams, truck stop, or other auto store.($50-100).This is a device that converts car batteries (12 volts) to normal household AC power. Truckers use them to power various appliances in their semi trucks. 

2. Buy a car battery (12 volt, I get the smaller ones for my wife due to the reduced weight) and the marine battery case to fit it. Try to get the same size car battery as for your car, you can use it as a backup for your car, or you can use your car to recharge the battery. Put the battery in the plastic box so that if the battery ever leaks , the apartment will not be damaged.The Coast Guard requires boats put their batteries in plastic boxes so that if they leak the acid will not go into the water, so Wal-mart has many of these. (Cost $50-Wal-mart battery and black box)

3. Buy some 25 watt bulbs. When the electricity goes off you merely connect the inverter to the battery (the red clamp to the positive terminal, the black clamp to the negative terminal)  and plug in your regular lamp with the 25 watt bulb to the electrical outlet on the inverter. A charged car battery will run the 25 watt bulb for about 3 1/2 hours of continous use, or a small TV about 2 hours. A 25 watt bulb is very bright when everyone else is on candles.

We used these here in Florida during hurricanes, and gave each kid their own for their  Xbox and small TV. Also get a cheap 5" fan from Walmart ($10) which doesn't use much power. 

Thanks so much for these easy to understand instructions.

I have one question, however.... I am wondering if one can recharge the battery, when the electricity comes back on, by hooking it up to a battery charger --- i.e., without putting the battery into an automobile. Is that possible?

I know how to recharge a battery with the battery charger, but I sure don't know how to remove the battery from the automobile, nor how to replace it.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by siameselade siameselade wrote:

<FONT>It doesn't sound like we are going to get much warning. Who has said they will only change the level when it goes to 6.  So be prepared to go on a minute's notice.

This is very disconcerting information.

They will leave the alert at a LEVEL THREE, and then suddenly increase it to Level Six, in one fell swoop?

Well, I've not read too many complimentary things about the U.N. online, so I suppose this shouldn't surprise me, but it does.
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by siameselade siameselade wrote:

It doesn't sound like we are going to get much warning. Who has said they will only change the level when it goes to 6.  So be prepared to go on a minute's notice.

That's par for the course...

I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 5:15pm
Yes their excuse is they're going to the New Zealand pandemic Plan rather than they're own.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:44am
[QUOTE=siameselade]Yes their excuse is they're going to the New Zealand pandemic Plan rather than they're own. [W/QUOTE] Where did you hear about this??? Really scary. Can you provide a link, please?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Amethyst Amethyst wrote:

I don't have a sleeve to put over it that I know of.  The unit was already installed when I moved in.   Plywood is a good idea.

I'm not staying with my parents currently.  I'd only go to the cabin if things looked like they were going to get bad.  Heck, there's still snow up there (not that there isn't here, but it's colder in the northern part of the state).

cold....hummm..cold...froozen thundra north here...now I live where it gets cold...I have fur lined underwear

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:29am
I think duct tape and a garbage bag would solve the A/C problem.  Two good things to have in your bag of tricks anyway.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:46am

The underwear thing isn't a bad idea.  Maybe a pair or two of long underwear would be good to stock up on.  I've never seen them selling fur-lined anywhere.  I do have several extra blankets, but most of them are big and bulky quilt-type blankets and can't easily be carried anywhere if I should have to leave.

I have garbage bags and some duct tape.  Getting more can't hurt.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic