Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Polar Vortex: UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polar Vortex: UK
    Posted: October 20 2018 at 12:10am
With the jetstream weak and wiggly, someone will have a cold winter. Whether it will be America, Europe or Russia is anyone's guess. We could even take turns.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 7:42pm
Hey how about Colorado? I hope we have a cold winter with lots of snow! I love cold winters!
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 12:06pm
Piers Corbyn is very convinced of himself, weather-action has been around for years claiming they can give a 100 year weatherforcast based on solar activity....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Corbyn

DJ-I am not convinced of the accuracy of weather action.

A polar vortex-jet stream bringing extreme cold air to the UK is a remote possibility in my opinion. (The cold has to come from somewere, Greenland mostly, Earths rotation is moving that west (and the UK is in the south east of Greenland). There is more reason to believe coming winter in the UK and EU will see above normal temperatures, rain and storm.
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 11:03am
I appreciate advance warning of particularily nasty winters. I prep for a possibly nasty winter each year. But if I know it will be bad, Christmas presents get a little smaller and I prepare for some comfort as well as survival. (January sales make up for it.)

We go in for extra feed (no emergency cull) extra wood and candles (in case the electric goes out) extra water, hand sanitiser and baby wipes(in case the pipes freeze - but with no water still in my well, I am already used to that). Extra medicines, food and pet food are already planned for.

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 10:55am
Thanks, Chuck! You have already addicted me to that site.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 8:28am
Thanks, Techno!

Keep an eye on this website, I've been watching Arctic storms developing, and you'll be able to see the polar vortex intensify.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-81.85,71.99,434
CRS, DrPH
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 6:51am
[Personally, I have no real faith in weather forecasts this far ahead. But on the off chance that there is some truth in this one, it would be a big problem for some people (like me). So, here it is anyway.

[size=-4]UK weather: Met Office's verdict on forecast of snow in October and four-month 'polar vortex'

'Severe snowfall' has been predicted by one weather forecasting company by the end of the month.

WeatherAction says Britain could be gripped by freezing temperatures for four months due to a polar vortex and could get so low they could break records in October.

Piers Corbyn, of WeatherAction, told the Express: "We are expecting some quite severe snowfall before the end of this month and it will not just be confined to the far north, this could reach parts of the midlands or even further south.

"This spell of very cold weather looks like bringing substantial snow to a more widespread area of the country than people would necessarily expect at this time of year.
We are also forecasting some very low temperatures, we could see the record for October broken this year."

The Met Office says temperatures are expected to drop by the end of the month as the UK is currently experiencing extremely mild weather with highs of 22C on Tuesday.

However, the Met Office believes there is unlikely to be snow in England in October, though there may be overnight frosts.

A Met Office spokesperson told Bristol Live : "There is, as always at this time of year, a chance there may be some snow over high ground in Scotland and to lower levels in the far north of Scotland.

"Snow is regularly seen over higher ground in Scotland from September onwards.

"However, as far as the chance of snow in [the south of England] in October is concerned for the rest of the month the weather looks fairly typical for the time of year.

"It is likely to stay generally dry and bright in the south interspersed with spells of more wet and windy weather.

"Temperatures varying around average, but becoming colder as we go through the month with an increasing risk of overnight frosts and fog.

"On the whole temperatures are likely to be rather cold, but some brief milder spells are also possible."

WeatherAction, a long-range weather and climate forecasting service, suggests the cold front will bring heavier and longer lasting snow than the Beast from the East earlier in the year.

However, the Met Office dismissed the predictions of a freezing four-month period in the UK - or at least that it's too early to tell.

It said meteorologists can provide detailed weather forecasts for up to seven days and regional forecasts for up to 30 days, but no further into the future.

Source:   https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-met-offices-verdict-13428496
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic