Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

March 20 what have you done to prep today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March 20 what have you done to prep today
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:47am
Happy first day of Spring everyone.......
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:19am
Good morning, Muskrat. I'm going to try to organize a few things today. I keep tripping over stuff we'vee brought in from the store....
striper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote striper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:52am
I am still looking for a solar panel to power up the Xantrex Xpower 1500 I bought. Ordered some 3M 9211 masks over the weekend.
Tulip View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:18am

Spare propane tank, 20 more N95 masks, gallon of Drano and 10 jars of Ragu.  I must also take the time to organize this week.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:32am

Good morning..Libby me also..I got all the canned goods dated and stored on the new shelf downstairs...I think I have enough chicken noodle soup its on sale here and I have been buying about 10-12 cans a trip to the store...I re-arranged a few things for some more space...and now I am right here in front of the computer...

booked the kids for thier phsyicals(and I will get more repeats for scripts and get some spares in hopefully)..and will be booking their dentals...and booked puppy for her rabies vaccine...

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Tulip Tulip wrote:

Spare propane tank, 20 more N95 masks, gallon of Drano and 10 jars of Ragu.  I must also take the time to organize this week.

This may not amuse you, but I am ROFL, as I misread your posting, the first time I thought it said you bought 10 ... y e a r s ... worth of Ragu.

LOL.

Incidentally, last night somewhere online I read that canned spaghetti sauce doesn't last as long as JARS of sauce, due to the acidity of the tomatos interacting with the metal of the cans.

I spose that seems 'obvious,' but it's not anything I ever thought about before.
Tulip View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:42am

Hi Omega,

I have heard that also, but I bought the Ragu because I know that my kids eat it.  And it was a great price at 1.00 a jar.   Wanted more they have a 10 jar limit.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:45am
lol..Tulip that is when I would eighter take the kids with me or I take the limit out to my car turn around go back in and go through another cashier..hey I like my sales...
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:17pm

That's funny muskrat, I thought I was the only one who did things like that.

Hubby went to town for me today so I didn't have to do. He bought the rest of the lumber needed to finish my shelves for my preps.

He also picked up some more butter that was on sale. We put that in the freezer.

I am working on my lists of what I need to purchase when I get my income taxes back, hopefully soon. I am also looking at what we currently have in stock and where the holes are in my preps.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:57pm

Built shelves for the preps we are accumulating on the living room floor.  Cleaned out the garage so it is no longer a Major Medical Claim looking for a victim. We had preps there but in an emergency we COULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN TO THEM in a safe and timely manner.  Ohhhh my back....

We have Ragu but it occured to me that just the two of us couldn't eat a whole jar in one sitting. No refrigeration = 50% WASTE, meaning the price just doubled.  I want my wife to make her famous spaghetti sauce, which uses the Ragu as a base, in a huge batch.  Then I will re-can it into pint jars, which between the two of us can be finished off in one sitting.  I'll need a pressure canner and some pint jars for that.  Guess what goes on next month's prep list? 

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by bruss01 bruss01 wrote:

We have Ragu but it occured to me that just the two of us couldn't eat a whole jar in one sitting. No refrigeration = 50% WASTE, meaning the price just doubled....

Surely, something SO acidic as Ragu Spaghetti Sauce can sit out overnight with absolutely NO danger --- I can't imagine that something like that would go bad so quickly.

Please enlighten me, if you would.....
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 1:38pm

Omega -

Wife is a Virgo, won't trust anything that has set out... food poisoning is not something to be gambled with in a pandemic.  I'll agree that the risk isn't a sure thing, but it would be a gamble, one I would like to avoid.  It gets hot here in the summer and things can go bad with amazing rapidity in 100 degree heat.

iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 3:00pm

I added the following to my preps today:

4 shampoos, 4 conditioners, 1 razor, 1 Clorox Anywhere, 5 bags of candy, 2 dish washing detergent, 4 body wash,  24 double rolls of TP. 

I also filled 10 - 2 liter bottles with water. 

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 3:14pm
Read one article about how EASY it is to dehydrate foods in the microware, and how QUICK the whole job is, and found out that this is so.

But this afternoon when I checked google for more articles about microwave drying of foods, many commentators state it CAN'T be done, (huh??) or else that you'll ruin the essential oils.

Glad I didn't research this before simply trying it out.

Simply chopped up a few green ends of green onions, tossed them on a plate, NUKED for two minutes, removed & stirred around, NUKED for three minutes, removed & stirred around, and then NUKED to a crisp for four more minutes.

I'm gonna buy some fresh spinach next time I go to the store and see how that dries up in the microwave -- which is taking MINUTES, as opposed to sun-drying for days in the heat of summer, or oven drying for at the very least many many hours, usually overnight.

I have NO idea why there are microwave dehydration kits for sale IF it "ruins" foods -- I'm not sure if the authors I read really have any PRACTICAL familiarity with this, or were simply hypothesizing without any firsthand experience.

I just read on "Latest News" that the Red Cross says that Americans should prepare for a length from four DAYS to four WEEKS ----- I am very irritated with this, there is a BIG diff between four DAYS and four WEEKS.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 4:27pm
Haven't done anything today because I have the regular flu, unless you count trying the elderberry stuff. 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:15pm
I bought a silver car sunshade and some black paint (to try out the solar cooker on www.solarcooking.org supposedly can bake bread and cook other items, boil and pastuerize water), also got a car battery charger, 3 cases of individual bottles of water, 1 gallon of water, some more cans of chili, more kitty litter. Also found alot of clothing marked down at KMart to 1.50-2.00 for winter shirts and fleece, jacket 5.00, which is not prepping but can use them for Christmas gifts for my 2 daughters and it was exciting finding stuff for so cheap. Also went to the doctor to get my pneumonia vaccine and couldn't get it because dr. said I sounded congested in the head and I had taken ibuprofen which would have masked a temp if I was sick, he said if I wasn't really sick by the end of the week he would give it to me then, just didn't want to give it in case I was coming down with something. Did get albuterol inhalation medication for breathing machine, another inhaler (I think I have 6 now), antihistamine and more ibuprofen.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:18pm
Hamburger rocks (takes a long time) and repackaging.  The repackaging is important because if this thing goes pandemic it will mean less garbage and no telltale empty boxes in my garbage (if there is garbage pick up).  I can also just toss the plastic bag containers or reuse them for other things.  
Ironstone
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 5:38pm

Some herbal meds I ordered came today.  Also, a cookbook I ordered for cooking without electricity and a survival guide came.  At least I have reading material. 

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:27pm
   I did a lot of organizing today.  I'm tired of tripping over stuff.  I'm having a new shed built this week,so I can some stuff out the house until I get ready for a garage sale.  I will use this extra space for preps.  I checked into buying a used outdoor porta pottie. Stored 10 pounds of oatmeal 56 individual packets of grits. Recieved my order of 10lbs. of red clover tea, 5lbs. of brewers yeast, and 10 pounds of raisin granola fruit and nut mix.  Called to day to see how much a manual well would cost to install.  Don't won't to be dependent on the water system if i can help it.  Even if i get the well done, i will still store water in 55 gal. drums.  bought 3 -15 gal. plastic drums and 6-35 gal. drumbs.  The 55 gal drumbs will come this week.  I have gotten these drums for a very reasonable price.  A guy in my area sells them.  Otherwise it would be to expensive to buy all of these. 
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 6:29pm
I ordered a single-burner sterno stove tonight.  Figured that I would probably get sick of eating cold stuff.  Can you use those indoors, or do you have to use them outdoors?
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:07pm

Just got 10 Lipton rice and noodle mixes and flavored tomato sauce (chunky tomatos with garlic, green peppers and olive oil and some mexican ones with different spices and vegs added).  Two jars of peanut butter.  Two large jars of powdered chicken and beef bullion/soup stocks. 

I need to get - a couple of large bottles of TUMS, Pepto Bismol, Correctol, and Mylanta :-)  Especially the TUMS ;-) 

I have lots of stuff but I really wanted to get a 50 pound bag of beans and one of rice.  However, I keep thinking about fuel.  I think that I am going to have to pay the price for canned beans.  Lots of them.  Will still get the rice.

Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:52pm
This is going to sound REALLY morbid so I apologize if it creeps anyone out. The corners office will probably be overwhelmed and if there are mass amounts of people dying, they will be left for an unknown period of time before they can be taken to the appropriate place. I've placed an order online today for 4 postmordem bags-bodybags- one for each of us- about $9.00 each. Should that awful conclusion happen, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time fiddling with plastic and duct tape on my deceased loved one. I want to zip him or her up and place far away from the house and then I'd try to bury if I could. Again, I am sorry about the topic but that is what I did today!
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:32pm

I'm sorry Fruit Loop, but I just have to ask....how is the last person getting themselves into the bag and then zipping it up??    (  )

I know you are being very thorough with your planning but the thought of that kinda struck me funny. I guess I am only prepping to live. If I don't I guess that's the neighbor's problem.

In all seriousness, it has been my personal experience that no matter what you think now....you cannot plan for the death of a close loved one like that. It just aint that neat and easy.

On the other hand, maybe I'll look for some nice sheets on sale.

(Sorry, I guess I must be over-tired. I think I'll go to bed now. g'night)

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:56pm

Oh yea, I forgot to report what I acquired today at K-mart.

1 baby pool to collect rain water in, 1 large round container to do laundry in, looked for bruss's pool shock but they didn't have any w/o stabilizers, some seeds and little starter kits, water proof matches, 2 large see through containers to hold vacume sealed rice, corn muffin & pancake mix and 2 more sleeping pillows. My "friend" the UPS guy also delivered my 2 cases of whole powdered eggs from Honeyville Grain! Yea! I also ordered a 25# bag of sm. white navy beans from them and they weren't in there so I have to call them and find out what happened to my beans tomarrow. Bummer!   Well now it's really good night but I hope I don't toss and turn obsessing over my missing beans all night.(lol)  but, sweet dreams to all of you! 

"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:01pm

Well, I've been spending most of the evening printing off lists and instructions from this board so that I can put them all in a binder to keep. I had to have hubby get another ink cartridge when he went to town today. I was about out.

Hubby finished the shelves so we can get more organized now. I will probably start on that tomorrow.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:38am
Fritz - try a pool supply store, they should have calcium hypochlorite in 1 lb bags.
Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:55am
Hey fritz! I thought of that too- I guess whoever finds me can deal with it- I'll put the bag next to me if I feel like I am headed in that direction. Better yet. I'll just climb inside of it before hand. I FULLY plan on living through this thing. Just trying to be prepared physically and mentally for ALL senarios!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:36am
They are safe to use indoors. But, Sterno won't get hot enough to cook, great for heating things.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

They are safe to use indoors. But, Sterno won't get hot enough to cook, great for heating things.

Yeah, I'm just planning on using them to heat up cans of soup or maybe boiling water for tea, or possibly emergency heat in the winter if there's a power outtage.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:41am
Finally got my delivery of dehydrated meat and fruits from www.beprepared.com. They were pretty slow, took about 4 weeks. Has anybody ever cooked with dehydrated meats? what is the texture and flavor like? Frankly, not looking forward to having to use it, but it's better than nothing.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:33am
If you don't like the dehydrated meat, I understand that there are canned meats available from, I think it was: internet-grocer.com (or was it dot-NET?)

It's the same vendor where people have ordered canned butter and canned cheese from - I read about it here in this forum in early postings about dairy foods.

The testimonials on the website are very persuasive, so although I don't need such products, I might order some for the fussy eaters in the household.

Haven't decided yet.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:38am
My preps today include purchasing several bags of potting soil, veggie fertilizers, some nice easy-2-care for pots for planting salad greens INDOORS ..... so I'll also be picking up seeds.

I want them on hand just in case we have an unexpected quarantine - then it will be easy to start some greens, in the sterile lightweight potting "soil" medium.

Might as well stop by a food coop, too, and purchase bulk seeds for sprouting - the alfalfa seeds, fenugreek, lentils, chickpeas, unsalted sunflower seeds, etc.

Might as well see, too, if any place around here has sprouting kits -- faster than messing around with screen or cheesecloth and glass bottles. Getting old and lazy, LOL.
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 10:00am
Femvet, I have ordered things from them all the time. The food I have gotten from them is good like potato pearls with butter, my nieces and nephew like the hashbrowns they have. I have order some of the fruits and the meats .I haven't tried them yet. My brother said the powder milk isn't bad either suppose to taste like fresh milk.  The reason it may took awhile because alot of people may be ordering from them If anyone wants wheat they have wheat too. The name is Emergency Essentials and you can request a catalog from them
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:11pm
Femvet

We used to get dried meat for our dog.  The farting that ensued was horrendous!
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 4:30pm
got my pneumonia vaccine today.  hubby gets his tomorrow and kids get theirs at their pediatricians on tuesday.  ordered more contacts and hubby and i each got a pair of glasses.  picked up three months worth of my prescriptions to store.  finally got the rest of the over-the-counter meds that we needed.  now we just need to get to the dentist office and get our teeth cleaned and checked out.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 4:57pm
Willow - Good for you!!  We've done the same.  Wife & I both have our shots, stocked up on contacts & glasses.  I got a dental exam and cleaning today, going back tomorrow to have 1 cavity filled and a cracked filling replaced.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:40pm
PS - I tried boiling water with sterno.  It got steaming hot but never boiled.  Hot enough to make instant tea, cocoa or coffee, but not hot enough to boil something.  If you're at high altitude you can probably get a boil going, but here at sea-level plus change, a good steam is all you'll get from sterno.

I still have some on hand, just in case...   Embarrassed
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:46pm
Stopped by the grocery in between meetings today and got some more beans, oil, and Pediasure..... Now to organize all this stuff. -- Libby
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 10:24pm
  Hey guys with all the beans we are storing let's not forget the beano   This helps with gas.  i ordered a few days ago from a prepardness website by phone.  I asked was many people ordering stuff for the bird flu.  The lady replied heavens yes, the phone rings all day long.  The average order she said was between $600-1000 dollars.  So I think whatever we need that has to be ordered should be done as soon as we can.  Things seems to be heating up out there.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 5:08am
I got my fancyheat chafing fuel to boil, but not whistle. The steam was POURING out of the whistle hole and I could hear the rolling boil, but was wasting too much water and fuel to see if it would actually whistle if left a minute or two longer. It took 45 minutes.

The trick is to use a SMALL and COVERED pan that heats the WATER, more than the pan itself. I need to learn more about pans, I think. Boiling just 2 1/2 cups water for these recipes http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/index.htm
will allow you to actually cook with chafing pot fuel. It will take about 45 minutes to get the water hot enough, and then put it in a thermos instead of a bag to conserve the heat, or many of these recipes could be cooked as the water heats, like the potato soup.

The pot and amount of water are key to reaching a boil, and patience. Also how close your flame is to the pan. Too far away or too close are both bad.

I live a 5 minute walk from the ocean...So I guess I'm at sea level :-0 Mostly uphill, but I can't be too high :-)
BF WATCHER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BF WATCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:47am

question is the best way to cook when there is loss of elect and you cannot go outdoors to use your outdoor grill a chafing dish and sterno or a thermos??????

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Thordawggy Thordawggy wrote:

Just got 10 Lipton rice and noodle mixes and flavored tomato sauce (chunky tomatos with garlic, green peppers and olive oil and some mexican ones with different spices and vegs added).  Two jars of peanut butter.  Two large jars of powdered chicken and beef bullion/soup stocks. 

I need to get - a couple of large bottles of TUMS, Pepto Bismol, Correctol, and Mylanta :-)  Especially the TUMS ;-) 

I have lots of stuff but I really wanted to get a 50 pound bag of beans and one of rice.  However, I keep thinking about fuel.  I think that I am going to have to pay the price for canned beans.  Lots of them.  Will still get the rice.

You might be better off buying a pressure cooker for things like beans and rice. You can get it up to heat fast (saves on fuel) and then turn it off. May have to do it a couple of times. Would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a comparable amount of cans, besides helping with the storage issue. Bruss01 has talked quite a bit about this. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Beth Beth wrote:

Femvet

We used to get dried meat for our dog.  The farting that ensued was horrendous!
That reminds me: Gotta lay in a big quantity of BEANO!!!!!!!!! We should probably all be doing this, with the amount of beans we'll be eating!!Wink
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:50am
LOL on the Beano.  But that is a very practical idea.  And if the bird flu is pandemic, we won't be able to open our windows for fresh air.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Sterno that'll fit in those folding stoves that's safe to store indoors?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:44pm
Amethyst, what is your current living situation? Remember, BF can only travle thru the air if somebody is coughing or sneezing within about 30' from you. Please don't stop getting fresh air, you could die from asphyxiation!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic