Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

March 20 what have you done to prep today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:13pm
JUST got back from buying Beano....PHEW! That was a close one. Thanks for the heads up!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:21pm
We're doing pet care this and next week. Yoda had two teeth removed, his ears cleaned (has had a life-long problem with ear-mites). Next, we have two males which are getting neutered.
My husband is taking care of his dental needs now and then it's me. God help me!! I am absolutely terrified of dentists, but can't put it off any more now. Definitely don't want to have a dental emergency, especially if it could have been avoided.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Femvet Femvet wrote:

Amethyst, what is your current living situation? Remember, BF can only travle thru the air if somebody is coughing or sneezing within about 30' from you. Please don't stop getting fresh air, you could die from asphyxiation!!!

Um, I don't normally leave my windows wide open, and I haven't died from asphyxiation yet.  Wink

I live in an apartment by myself. 

As for preparedness, I marked all my cans with the dates and re-organized them.  Still have a dozen '06 cans left, but most don't expire until fall. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:43pm

Fruit Loop you have me laughing all the time!!! I mean it, tears rolling, wake up the dog out loud laughing!! I can't tell you how glad I am that you are here.

Anyway, I mentioned the Beano thing like a month or so ago and no one paid any attention to me. I'm starting to get a complex here and I'm paranoid enough as it is. Ermm

Anyway, there were actually 2 responses to the flatulance issue that I was concerned about. One was from Thomas Angel (I think) and he said to put a carrot in the water when cooking your beans. And the other was from Katdoe(I think) but I dont remember what she said to do. Maybe I will pm her. It was a while ago and I'm sure I don't remember which thread it was on. She has a lot of info on the cooking stuff and a lot of stuff in general. TTFN :>}
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:46pm
That was me, fritz, who just posted above. I guess since I'm using a different computer it put me in as guest, I dunno??
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:47pm
I got three.... yes three... boxes of cheap wine.  I'd love to buy the good stuff, but can't afford a years worth of that so will have to aquire a taste for this. 

I also got some water and tylenol.  I figure it'll take me a while to get used to bad wine hangovers, so I need to be prepared for a headache and dehydration.

This thing better blow through quick!
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 5:35pm

Originally posted by wrote:

Anyway, there were actually 2 responses to the flatulance issue that I was concerned about. One was from Thomas Angel (I think) and he said to put a carrot in the water when cooking your beans. And the other was from Katdoe(I think) but I dont remember what she said to do. Maybe I will pm her. It was a while ago and I'm sure I don't remember which thread it was on. She has a lot of info on the cooking stuff and a lot of stuff in general. TTFN :>}

I can share a few pointers.

FIRST, always, always, always soak the beans in water BEFORE cooking, this makes a huge difference in ease of digestibility.

Secondly, after the beans have soaked for at least an hour, or even overnight, and thus the quantity has at least doubled in size, what you want to do is boil their cooking water BEFORE you put them in the water to cook.

When the water is boiling, then you slowly, slowly, slowly pour the beans into the boiling water -- do this slow enough so that the water continues to boil.

NOW -- get another pan and fill with the same amount of water to boil.

When this second pot is at a rolling boil, then you take the simmering pot of beans and drain off the water down the sink.

Then IMMEDIATELY put the beans into the second pot of boiling water -- the trick here is to keep the temperature of the beans constant.

Then you simply simmer the beans slowly until done.

SOME individuals simply cannot digest beans, because they have difficulties with purine metabolism, both meat & vegetable purines - so these people will always have discomfort with a large legume-based diet.       

People who have gout have to follow low-purine diets, but the latest research has shown that they have NO problem with veggie purines, so can eat beans & spinach, but NOT yeasts, mushrooms, algae, meat, fish.

SOME, but by no means all, SOME people with fibromyalgia have difficulty with purines and must stick to a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet without beans/legumes.
Zanna View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 5:37pm
I found the fondue pot!  Three cheers for pre-packaged cheese and accessories!  Clap  I also got six more boxes of Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies (made with real Girl Scouts).

And yes, Bruss, I'll make a mondo pot of sauce for you to "put up" in pint jars. 

Omega - thanks for the bean cooking tips.  I tried to make my grandmother's recipe for Boston Baked Beans about 15 years ago, but I did something wrong and I’m still not sure what.  I soaked them overnight then made up the recipe and put it in the crock-pot for the required time.  I ended up with little rocks instead of beans!  I now have all of my grandmother’s cookbooks, so I want to try again.  It starts with a ham bone and strips of leftover ham…  I think it would be a great thing to can, as is my spaghetti sauce.   

Z~
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 6:23pm
I bought a motorcycle........to get the hell out of dodge if needed. (well that was my excuse anyway) I guess it is also my anti-anxiety therapy. Big smile
therese View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote therese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:07pm
I just bought 2 55 gallon drums today and I thought they were kind of expensive at 69.00 each.  Where are you getting yours?  I live in Michigan and I think these big drums are the way to go if you can.  I want to get several more.   Also, the rep said I don't have to chlorinate the water now, just put in 1/4 cup to the entire barrel and wait an hour just before tapping it open.  What do you think?
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:57pm
Do NOT ever put salt or ham or smoked hamhocks or even onions into your cooking beans, UNTIL they begin to soften.

There may be OTHER ingredients that you do NOT ever put in at the beginning, either, but I don't recall exactly what they are.

I simply keep all the additional ingredients SEPARATE, in the fridge until it is safe to add them in without the legumes becoming tough little indigestible bullets.

I'd even wait to add the molasses & sugar, etc. You simply wait until the bean is soft, and then add all the flavoring and any other veggies, and continue cooking until the consistency of soup/stew or baked beans is how you like it.

ALSO, it is possible that the time you tried your grandmother's recipe that you simply had a "bad" batch of beans, they may have been too old.

slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:40pm
"Anyway, there were actually 2 responses to the flatulance issue that I was concerned about. One was from Thomas Angel (I think) and he said to put a carrot in the water when cooking your beans. And the other was from Katdoe(I think) but I dont remember what she said to do. Maybe I will pm her. It was a while ago and I'm sure I don't remember which thread it was on. She has a lot of info on the cooking stuff and a lot of stuff in general. TTFN :>}"

Kat said to add a tsp of baking soda to the cooking water.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:46pm
Well.e got another 150 lbs of dry cat food, and two more cases of wet. Still need a lot more litter! At least the babies will eat. I figure if food distribution really does get interrupted, once it starts again, the priority will be on human food, who knows how long it will be before anything else comes in.
HOPEFLOATS View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:43pm

Hi I am new here. Joined today did a lot of reading here last night.

Today I took the few dollars left and purchased
15 lbs of rice
 3 cans of tuna
aluminum foil
baggies (just sandwich size)
5lb of flour
2 containers of salt
70 paper plates
6 cans tomato soup
2 cream of mushroom
box of spaghetti
Not much at the moment but considering where I was sitting last night it is an improvement. I was barely aware of this flu until a family member sent me an email on it. I have a family of 6 so lots of preps to get done. I will do more next Wednesday and again on Friday. We normally only have a weeks worth of food here give or take a couple of meals. Same for personal hygiene etc.
  So the email and this site has been a wake up call for my husband and I. I think he is still a little skeptical but even if it is best case scenario then we will be prepared for any other event that may come along. Considering we have 4 kids to care for you would think we would have been better stocked before now. Will take some creativity and revamping of our priorities but this is now closer to the top of my list.
  OH and I have 3 2-litter bottles which I am on my way to clean and will have 2 more by tomorrow. (Its a start right) Also have a big water jug we use while camping.
 We have 2 campstoves and lots of camping equipment as it is a much loved activity of our family. Will need to get some more fuel for the stoves.

I am working on crocheting some more blankets that we could all use to wrap ourselves in for extra warmth and I am on the hunt for more blankets and sheets.

We are also a homeschooling family so will work on getting more materials in here for the kids.  There is a book sale next week at the library so will go and see what I can find there.
 Purchased 60 National Geographic last month and the kids are loving those.
 I am rather scattered at the moment as far as highest on the priority list but hope to have that pulled together before next weeks shopping trips.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 3:37am
Today March 23....Yesterday i booked the children for physicals they go in the second week in April;and have to book thier dentals also
and today i will be starting what i call my final house preps..spring cleaning but earlier...it is time to wash the curtains...all the heavy winter blankets, organize the hats and gloves...wash all the bathroom mats again(lol)..darn pup...and the doiles...the shower curtain..anything that i really do not want to have to do should the power go down ...

I am still waiting for income taxs to finish up some much needed preps...but I am going to start with alot of the indoor house things today...
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:56am
Hopefloats,

We should all have more than a weeks food all the time, never mind bird flu. Just focus with hubby that this is a wakeup call about your GENERAL lack of preparedness. Plan a nice long camping trip and convince hubby as much as possible that you are prepping for the trip. Run off GENERAL preparedness lists from the goverment that stress GENERAL preparedness.

Then behind hubbies back take care of the BF stuff :-)

As for homeschooling, sign up for the freecycle list for your area http://www.freecycle.org/ Ask for old encyclopedias. Several broken, but overlapping sets is better than a new complete set. Even take the really crappy ones and store on a different bookcase and let the kids use the pictures to illustrate their journals. You can teach a LOT using just encyclopedias! My now 17 year old used them as his main science and social studies texts for years. He insisted textbooks were inaccurate and biased and refused to use them:-)

Welcome to the site :-) BF or no BF, this is a good site to just learn LOTS of good info in GENERAL :-)
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:22am
Hopefloats -- check out the threads on budget preparations. I think there's a lot of useful stuff in it. And, I am a firm believer in thrift stores, if you have any near you. I get the next size clothing for my 3 yr old there and they often have book sections too. Holler if I can help. And welcome! You've landed in the right place. -- Libby

PS here's a link to a thread called "Zero to Prepped in 4 weeks"

libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:23am
RE Budget preps --

Here's a link on using coupons:

And, in case you haven't seen it yet, here's one for prepping on a budget:

Good luck!

Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:44am
I'm heading out to the store in a few minutes. I've looked at the loss leaders for my area and I have my list all made out. I will post what I picked up later on today. I'm also planning a big prepping trip for tomorrow probably to Sams Club.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 9:49am
Hopefloats, welcome aboard. If you have any of the dollar stores in your area (Dollar Tree, $.99  or $1 store), make sure you check them out. Cleaning products, paper plates & plastic flatware. Good prices on some of the staples, spaghetti sauces, canned fruits & vegetables, ramen etc. Also check your coupons for your area stores and rather than running around, take them all to Walmart, they will price match and save you time and gas.
Since you are just starting: Write down what you purchase NOW, so you don't have to do an inventory later to figure out your gaps in your storage. Here are a couple of good sites with grocery lists to get you going:

Please, only buy what you eat and eat what you buy!!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.
stormriderfla View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormriderfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 10:11am
Hi also there are restaurant supply stores in my area good prices  but everything is in bulk. -K
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 10:24am
Thanks everyone! I will continue reading post on the site and doing other research. We have an Aldis here and a sav a lot about 35 minutes away. I will be able to get a lot more prep done next week and will be my main focus until I feel we are at a more comfortable level with everything.
 I love thrift stores. I have plenty of clothes for the youngest as we have a lot of hand me downs from her sisters stored in tubs but will need to work on larger clothing for the other 3.
 Added 2 more 2-litter bottles today though.
Thanks for all the wonderful information here!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:29pm
I'm back from the store and I finally got all my preps dated and put away. I inventoried them as I went along. Here's what I picked up.
2 jars peanut butter, 10 cans pork n beans on sale for .18 each, 2 cans Treet, 2 cans beef stew, 6 Hamburger Helper, 2 jars instant tea, 3 boxes Lipton cold brew tea, 8 pounds of iodized salt, 13 pounds instant potato flakes, 10 pounds just add water pancake mix, 4 containers of Gatorade powder, several drink mixes, jello, 10 cans of assorted fruits.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:58pm
I got my pneumococcal vaccine.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 5:15am
Ordered tea tree and lavender essential oils.  I've read they can be used medicinally. 

I might practice trying to heat up water with my sterno stove this weekend.  It came in the mail yesterday.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 5:21am
I am working on getting my list of needed supplies in order of priority and cleaning out closets to make room for everything I need to buy. I figure I will try and spread all the supplies all over the house.
 I have some bottles I need to get cleaned and filled with water.
And I am trying to get ahead on the kids until studies since we are homeschooling. Right now I only have 2 weeks worth together so I am going to try to add another week to that over the weekend.
  I cleaned out the cabinets last night and actually have more canned goods then I previously thought so I am a little further ahead.
  Hubby is suppose to go to the garage for me this weekend and make a list of all the camping supplies we have so I know what else to add to the list.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:40am
Taking a down day today....rest and relaxation....then for the weekend...more to organize and laundry,to be put away
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 9:45am
Did a late night run to the grocery store last night. Got more canned goods, syrup, juice, tuna, etc. Now I have to put it all away as I can't get to my microwave. May take kiddo and head to the pet store later today. He loves to look at the fish and lizards and I can have a chance to get more cat litter, cat food, and maybe even fish antibiotics (don't have fish, but the antibiotics are supposed to be the same grade that we use). Prep on folks!
MasterGuard View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterGuard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:40pm
Ordering more Antibiotics to stock pile just in case
Live like there is no tomorrow
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:41pm
MasterGuard -- where are you ordering from and do you need a prescription? -- Libby
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:41pm
Just came back from a run to Sams Club. Purchased tuna, canned chicken, canned salmon, Spam, DAK canned hams, 50 lbs. beans, 50 lbs. rice, 25 lbs. sugar, 50 lbs. flour, 16 lbs. salt, 16 lbs. egg noodles, instant oatmeal, various spices, some honey, 10 pack of beef ravioli, some toothbrushes, hand sanitizer, aspirins, allergy med, and other things that I have forgotten. We also bought four cases of veggies, some fruit and fruit juice, tea bags, and a case of evaporated milk from Save A Lot today. It's been a long day but I feel better that we have these preps stocked up. I'll have to date it all and get it put up tomorrow.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:58pm
Bought a small tent today (my first, actually).  Practiced putting it up at home.  Since I have nowhere but inside to put it up, I did everything but pound the stakes in.  I hope to not have to use it for an emergency, but you never know. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 3:05pm
I just got back..did not have much to spend today but our dollar store has veggie garden seeds on for 3/1.00 so I picked up some of those and i got another 4 bottles of lamp oil...more zip lock bags I have corn meal to do up(yes Rone Zip Lock women here)...I am in Canada and we cannot buy things like yea all down south...and I live in goomerville (a place way far away from civilization) LOL I have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest wal-mart...ok I also got hiar ties I have very long hair..and have started to stock a few of those but I think once TSHTF...I will cut it all off
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 4:36pm
Just got back from a buying run. Finally got an inflatable pool w/cover for $90, holds 1000 gallons. This has been one of the big ones on my list, very glad I can finally scratch that off. Went to th $.99 store and got a bunch of pest control stuff, some more canned goods, a rope for laundry, some assorted odds and ends.
I checked out a restaurant supply store today and got DEHYDRATED BLACK BEANS!!! Yeah!! They have all kinds of goodies, which you don't find in a retail store at all. Would highly recommend that everybody see if they have one in their area.
Now where am I going to stash all this stuff???????????????
RebeccaS View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebeccaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 4:38pm
I just got back from walmart and i was surprised to see they were almost completely sold out of bleach and bottled water.  Am I reading to much into this? 
-SCARED IN CONNECTICUT
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 5:06pm
I didnt have much to spend today but picked up some of the country style gravy mix and a bottle of honey at the bread store. Filled a couple more bottles of water. Hubby actually told me today that come Monday he wants me to sell a few of his stocks and go buy a bunch of preps to get us farther along. We are right over a week on preps so have a long ways to go. But to hear he is taking this more seriously helps me feel not so crazy LOL
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 5:16pm
Yeah, I think you guys are reading too much into the bottled water and bleach thing.  We have a Super Walmart, regular Walmart, and Meijers all within the same town.  It's the weekend, they are always really low on water, and everything else in the grocery section.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:32pm
Where did you find Hamburgher Helper?  I was looking for some in Safeway and the clerk told me she thought they didn't make it anymore. 
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOPEFLOATS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:50pm
I buy hamburger helper at the Super K and Super Walmart. The local grocery stores here also carries it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:56am
Hello everyone out there in cyber land!!
I am a Peak Oiler and just found this link on po forum

Have been putting together food storage etc, for just over one year now.
Have about 12 months on hand.

What I did today for my preparations was to prepare some pots for my papaya seeds i'm planting tomorrow, and washed up the dozen Valco preserving jars i scored at the local thrift shop for $10.

Btw, Biggest problem for me has always been weevil/pantry moths.
Just wanted to share 3 methods used for dealing with them

1. Diatomacious Earth (DE) 
2. Pantry traps using a pheremone lure and sticky paper
3. Freezing

I buy items 1 and 2 at our organic seed supply place or local health food shop. Pantry traps work amazingly well.
The DE is organic, and we stick this in with our bulk wheat, beans, rice that is decanted into jars.

Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:23am

I am practicing using my sterno stove today.  Just want to see how long it takes to get a small pot of water heated up to be able to use with instant coffee or something.

Edit:  Didn't take long.  It wasn't boiling, but it was hot enough for coffee.    I was afraid for a few moments that I wasn't going to be able to extinguish the sterno, but water did the trick.  I've gone through one fire before due to a suicidal housemate and I really don't want to go through another one, so that is one big fear of mine.  But I am slowly getting over it.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:34am
I'm cleaning up some jars that had been given to me. I am going to store some rice and pasta in the jars that I have available. These are not canning jars but rather spaghetti sauce jars and such.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:40am
 amethyst , put the top back on the sterno to close offf the oxygen, or you can use a plate roxxy
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:40am
At the moment, I'm soaking beans.  I'm going to try making soup with them tonight for supper.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:52am
Originally posted by roxy roxy wrote:

amethyst , put the top back on the sterno to close offf the oxygen, or you can use a plate roxxy

Yeah, but I was using a folding stove and there was no way to put it on without potentially burning my fingers in the process.  But the water worked.

This was a learning experience for me.  I don't think sterno will be a good long-term solution.  There's got to be something better out there.  I'm not too keen on storing propane inside my apartment, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic