Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

March 20 what have you done to prep today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:17am
With the latest activity I pulled the trigger and purchased the Coleman folding stove at Walmart. $58. I chose the dual stove (burns Coleman Fuel and Unleaded Gas). I figure I can always siphon unleaded gas from an abandoned car or my own if my supply of gas runs out. Also purchased some extra manltes for my lanterns and a pump repair kit for the same. I did purchase an adapter kit for the stove so I can also run it on propane. 4 months supplies for a family of five but I do not think it is enough. Waiting to pull the trigger on Wheat and Rice which should get me another 3 months or so. Also purchased more vitamins for the kids today.  Thats it for purchases today.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Amethyst Amethyst wrote:

Yeah, but I was using a folding stove and there was no way to put it on without potentially burning my fingers in the process.
Try metal kitchen tongs.
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:38am
Scott, just wanted you to know that I deleted your duplicate post. Wasn't sure if you even knew you posted it twice.

I was going to say that my hubby has decided we should get that same dual fuel Coleman stove for the exact same reasons that you mentioned Scott. We will be getting that this week with payday.

I just sliced up some oranges to put on the dehydrator. I may pick up some more this week at the store, as well as some bananas and apples. We love banana chips. And the apples, we put a little cinnamon and sugar on them before drying. They are a really tasty, healthy snack.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 12:01pm
Thanks Daydreamer for the edit.
The dual fuel lantern is also something we purchased, about 4 mo. ago. Something to consider for the same reasons. We are looking at this like going camping for 8 months but our house is our tent. Well, my wife thinks I turned it into a fortress, anyway......Wacko
I also saw a great little vacuum sealer for food at Walmart range in price from $36 to $124. I don't need it, but you mentioned food. It was in the blender isle. How well does your dehydrator work and which model/make do you prefer? Thank in advance.

As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 12:44pm
My dehydrator is a Magic Chef brand. It's a round one and we bought it used at a yard sale for like $5. It has worked well for over two years. The only thing I don't like is that you have to remember to rotate the trays because they dry at different rates if you don't.

I still need to purchase a vacuum sealer so I'm going to check our local Wal-Mart super center. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:51pm

I planted tomatoes, zuccinni, onions, corn, beans, etc. Also some herbs in pots.

Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:01pm

I made soup with preps -- a package of soup mix with dehydrated beans and barley, a can of mushrooms, and chicken boullion for flavor.  Wasn't too bad, actually.  I had to soak the beans for several hours, though.

kittles View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:22pm
Put up another 50 gallons of water today,worked all day organizing and inventoring. What a job! We bought some rubbermaid bins to store all the disposables that have been sitting in living room in huge boxes for a week!
 Got them all situated...Here is a pic of our westie decked out for the bird flu....thought we all could use a chuckle!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic