Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Doing laundry by hand - have you tried it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doing laundry by hand - have you tried it
    Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:30pm
What 'fun' it is to do laundry by hand, NOT.

Has this topic been discussed in detail by the Experts here?

I've found a few interesting postings in Usenet, but not much.

The small items are fine, although even with them, I'm unsure how they get RINSED enough, if water is at a premium.

I'm unsure how to do sheets, much less blankets, if water is available to do laundry by hand.

Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:49pm

Omega~I have done laundry by hand many times before. I lived without running water for almost two years so I have a bit of experience with this. We didn't always have the money to go to the laundrymat.

This is how we did it. First, we had three tubs of water. Now you can use those round metal tubs or you can use the plastic tote boxes. The first tub we would put our soap in it. Wash colored clothes first. We used a brand new plunger to agitate (sp?) the clothing. Ring out the water from the clothes when they've been cleaned. Put in first rinse tub. Wring that water out after rinsing and put in second rinse tub. Wring out and hang to dry. After all colored clothes are washed, you can add bleach to the water to wash whites. Now, considering that we are talking about doing laundry during a pandemic, I would go ahead and use colorsafe bleach for all clothing.

I hope this helps some. This is how we did it. We'd hang the laundry out on a line but now we will hang them on drying racks inside the house.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:53pm
 when i was a kid  and poor  , we had no washing machine , my mother would fill the bathtub with clothes ,water and soap, and my sister and i would do I love lucy , remenber  the grape episode, in the tub with our feet, best idea i seen here, is a bucket  for your mop  with a ringer to  wring the clothes of water, also i have 4 wooden racks i dry clothes on, i wold also boil water to clean the clothes and let them sit in it, and   bleach, i guss bleached out clothes will be the new rage, or the new white,  good luck roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:54pm

GREAT!!!! I never would have figured this out. really, honest. I'd have just used two buckets...the third is for final rince..and the colors and whites order too Thanks! Hurricaine season approaches.-Kevin

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:31pm
Years ago I picked up a small wringer at a neighbor's yard sale - sure glad I did, it works so well that I'm seriously considering getting a larger one, who cares what they cost, they make such a tremendous difference.

One thing I'm surprised by is that the clothes seem MUCH cleaner - and I'm certain this must be due to the wringer, cuz I don't recall any handwashables ever seeming so clean before. In Usenet, a few posters commented on this, that they were amazed at how much cleaner their clothes were. Very unexpected, and very noticable.

And I definitely will be purchasing LOTS of white cotton underwear for everybody -- you see, if there's no electricity and laundry needs to AIR DRY in cool temps, I'm certain the only thing that would keep the moldy musty odors at bay would be if items were washed in bleach.

I wonder who invented the wringer?

It's a pretty major invention, like the Wheel, if you ask me -- and I've just got a little tiny one.

LOL
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:11pm

OMG laundry is the one thing that would push me to go in for a generator!  Everything else we could live without, but that's one modern convenience we'd have a hard time saying goodbye to.

The only thing we could do at present is the 3 bucket wash mentioned.  No wringer so that would be a manual operation, literally "by hand".  We'd end up wearing clothes for several days and trying hard not to get them too dirty or sweaty.

slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:19pm

We have looked at this manual washer, but have not tried it.  For $40, I'm thinking we'll pick it up. 

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=MC%20W100

TJ108 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:34pm
Came across this the other day. Wondering if anyone has ever used one?  My guess is you will still have power and water for some time but you don't want to use your stored drinking water for doing the laundry. Seems like a gadget like this might get you by. Since I live in a apt and am paying for every load I do this would pay for itself in short order. Here is a link for more information. Wonder Washer
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:30am

Washing is easy. It's the wringing out that's hard! Forget the washer and buy a wringer if you want to buy something. If you are hanging the clothes outside, you don't have to wring them out, though. Frozen clothes will dry, but it takes longer.

The less soap you use the better. Sometimes just use bleach and sunlight.

Sometimes just air out bedding instead of washing it.

Several layers of synthetics is MUCH better than a thick layer of Cotton! Nylon wind pants dry in 1/4 the time it takes to dry a pair of blue jeans. Make sure sweatshirts are at least PART synthetic and wear two thinner ones instead of one thick one.

When times get tough, you need 3 outfits, with at least 2 of them being sturdy and practical.  The 3rd outfit can be for emergencies only. You wear one outfit till the other is clean and dry. You wash your other outfit, right away as soon as you take it off. Clothes dry quicker in the heat when you are smellier. In the winter you can wear and outfit for 2 or 3 days if needbe. It might not be politically correct to just have two rotating outfits, but it is doable from a sanitation point of view.

White or dark underwear is a hard call. Yes, it's healthier to bleach underwear due to fungal infections. It is easier to have ALL your clothing be dark though and not have a whites load. Campmor sells black long underwear. 

Yeah, I've done my share of handwashing, sometimes even in seawater :-)
Ravendawn View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 6:22am

Just thought i would post this money saving idea ,MAKE YOUR OWN LAUNDRY SOAP,although we are still in the experimental stages this alternative seems to work fine it needs some fine tuning tho ,also using white vinegar as a substitute for conditioner works fine ,vinegar is also a good all around cleaner.             

THE METHOD,

1,Chop or flake a bar of soap(any) in to a saucepan of hot water.

2,Heat DON'T BOIL and stir until the soap dissolves it may take a while.

3,Add the soap to three gallons of hot water.

4,Mix well.

5,Add one cup of washing soda (Not baking soda).

6,Mix well again.

7,Let it cool.

It should look like wallpaper paste after 4-8 hours it depends on the soap you use ,as for storage i have no idea yet how long this liquid will keep i may add some bleach in a test batch if you are on a budget i recommend this one as the powder we buy is not good for the environment,if you go to the Greenpeace Site they have more alternatives to bad chemicals.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:33am

Originally posted by bruss01 bruss01 wrote:

OMG laundry is the one thing that would push me to go in for a generator!  Everything else we could live without, but that's one modern convenience we'd have a hard time saying goodbye to.

The only thing we could do at present is the 3 bucket wash mentioned.  No wringer so that would be a manual operation, literally "by hand".  We'd end up wearing clothes for several days and trying hard not to get them too dirty or sweaty.

I've read that lots of folks are purchasing mop buckets which come together with a small wringer - and I'm going to check these out, I believe I read that Home Depot stocks them.

The wringer is amazing, you'll see what I mean if you get the opportunity to use one; I'm buying at least one more, simply for use in case of an emergency.

It seems that MOST of the work of cleaning the clothing is to successfully RINSE all of the soap out - I have no idea how folks are doing that with just two containers of rinse water, but that's what I've read here and elsewhere.

Yeah, if you are horrified of laundry, I suggest you try washing out a pair of heavy denim jeans --- it's NOT 'pretty,' let me tell ya, LOL.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:38am

Originally posted by TJ108 TJ108 wrote:

Came across this the other day. Wondering if anyone has ever used
one?  My guess is you will still have power and water for some
time but you don't want to use your stored drinking water for doing the
laundry. Seems like a gadget like this might get you by. Since I live
in a apt and am paying for every load I do this would pay for itself in
short order. Here is a link for more information. Wonder Washer

I researched that item on Usenet, but there weren't very many comments. A couple few said they 'luved' the Wonderwash, but I also read some comments that WASHING is NOT hard -- it is the RINSING that is difficult, and that the little Wonderwash didn't help with the rinsing.

Yikes, insofar as the Wash Cycle, most items can simply be left to soak, they do not need excessive agitation.

There are some small mini-countertop "dryers" which actually are small water extractors -- however, they require a source of power to work.

I'm still interested in one, because I presume it could work off a battery, as so many boat owners own one, and because it is touted to substantially reduce the amount of dryer time needed - a real cost savings small appliance.

You might want to go to http://groups.google.com and do your own research on the wonderwash.

slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:03am
Good info Omega.  Thanks for sharing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:35am
I had come across a site that depcited the use of bicycle powered 'machinery' including a washing machine.

Replacing the electric powered agitation shouldn't be too hard, and I'm planning on building one of these units.

Essentially, a stationary bike is connected to a rotating drum, which you can peddle to your hearts content.  This removes the manual effort of scrubbing clothes.

Another idea is a butter churn attached to a stationary bike, generators for charging batteries, water pumps, etc.  There are actually quite a few things that can be human powered with a little ingenuity.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:15am
WASHING the clothes isn't the problem - that is easy, you can even leave them to soak for hours, or even overnight.

The PROBLEM in doing laundry by hand is twofold:

Getting ALL the soap out of the washed clothes.

Extracting water from heavy duty items like denim jeans, blankets, large sheets.

Small wringers work VERY VERY VERY well for small items, insofar as extracting excess water --- but if water is at a premium, it will be very difficult to RINSE the soap out of the clothing... leaving soap scum and maybe even a peculiar smell after it dries out.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:19am

Originally posted by slcmom slcmom wrote:

Good info Omega.  Thanks for sharing.

IF I have time, I'm going to research DAWN dish soap, because decades ago, I read in a knitting magazine that knitters & weavers were using that brand of dish soap, and NOTHING ELSE, to wash their fine woolen goods.

I'm wondering if MAYBE (???) some Dawn detergent dish soap would word better at hand laundry of ALL FIBERS, than any of the liquid laundry detergents.

I really do NOT like soap left in the clothing, but MAYBE(???) some type of liquid dish soap would both clean and ALSO rinse out quickly.......

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:24am
I wonder..when TSHTF..and we are back tracked somewhat...won,t companies have to go back also and start making things like they use to use in the olden days...

the old style wringer that you had to crank by hand...and laundry soaps that have not been new and improved for the last 50 years..just good ole fashion non chemical stuff..

if you where right on the ball and could become a iron smith....you could do real well...and
we would have to teach this generation and the next newer(older) skills...

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:50am
Originally posted by omega omega wrote:

IF I have time, I'm going to research DAWN dish soap, because decades ago, I read in a knitting magazine that knitters & weavers were using that brand of dish soap, and NOTHING ELSE, to wash their fine woolen goods.

I'm wondering if MAYBE (???) some Dawn detergent dish soap would word better at hand laundry of ALL FIBERS, than any of the liquid laundry detergents.

I really do NOT like soap left in the clothing, but MAYBE(???) some type of liquid dish soap would both clean and ALSO rinse out quickly.......

Omega~I'm learning to spin my own yarn and I have learned in the process that spinners and weavers, etc. will use Dawn dish soap to wash the wool that has come straight from the sheep. The Dawn helps remove the lanolin that is in the wool. The lanolin is the natural oils in the fiber. Dawn soap is a very gentle yet effective soap for removing oils. I would think that it would rinse out very well.
Sunset View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 9:52am
     OMEGA, have you ever tried DAWN, that stuff is god awful on the hands, bought one bottle of it and only used 1/3 and gave up on it......Made my hands raw........i could not use this for the long time it would take to do wash by hand........and my hands are not, soft and nicey, nicey, been in a lot of stuff........but DAWN was BAD.....try it befor you put a ton away to use............SUNSET
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 10:35am

I washed most of my clothes on the island with dish detergent and sometimes bar soap. You don't use much when washing by hand. Mostly you just let things soak and you use less clothes.

If you aren't dressing to go the office or parties you dress differently and you also can wash differently. You need a couple camping or backpack type outfits and that's it. They are made to be washed by hand and air dried.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 10:46am
I haven't seen much mention of lightweight FAST-DRYING clothing, not much mention of this at all anywhere.

That's the FIRST thing I did after my first experiments with doing laundry by hand, was to locate all clothing that was lightweight and easy to dry.

One problem with some of these items, though, is that, if not brand new, they are relatively flimsy and do NOT like the wringer experience at all.

You know, it occurred to me that MAYBE some of the really inexpensive liquid dish soaps MIGHT be really handy to do laundry in --- if memory serves me, it seems they do not suds up for very long, and thus MIGHT be very useful.

Will have to pick up ONE bottle and try it.

I'm definitely stocking up on 100% cotton WHITE underwear for everyone, when it's new it doesn't mind the wringer at all, and being white and COTTON it can sit in bleach water without doing some weird polyester action like turn yellow-grey.

LOL
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 10:50am

Originally posted by Sunset Sunset wrote:

OMEGA, have you ever tried DAWN, that stuff is god awful on the hands, bought one bottle of it and only used 1/3 and gave up on it......Made my hands raw........i could not use this for the long time it would take to do wash by hand........and my hands are not, soft and nicey, nicey, been in a lot of stuff........but DAWN was BAD.....try it befor you put a ton away to use............SUNSET

When I happen to notice that my hands are drying out in reaction to anything, I simply take a few more capsules of Cod Liver Oil, usually for a couple days, until the skin is soft again.

I just use cheapo cod liver oil capsules and take one with meals, through the winter months when anyone not living on the equator is likely to experience vitamin D deficiency by springtime.

asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:23pm
I plan on doing as little laundry as possible by hand!  Whenever the local thrift stores have bag sale day (you stuff a bag as full as you can get it and they charge you $3 per bag) I grab up stuff that'll fit family members.  Everything from jeans to tshirts to sweats.  They may be ugly, but if we're stuck in the house all day, who'll know the difference.  I figure that for under sixty dollars I can outfit my little family for the year.

Now, underwear are a different matter.  I don't recommend purchasing them at thrift stores.... just .... yuk.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:28pm
IF there is water, I plan to do some laundry every single day, there's NO way I want to have a ton of soiled garments building up around here.

IF there is absolutely no water to use for laundry and it's winter time, then I'll melt snow to wash clothing.

Most clothing isn't difficult to wash IF water is available, but blankets, jackets, sheets, blankets, bulky sweaters are difficult to wash by hand.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:34pm
Check this out, LOL, it's oneDERwear, that is: Disposable Underwear

http://www.onederwear.com/usage.html

Might be a useful items for BOBs, but kinda expensive for everyday use, LOL.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 12:47pm
I don't plan on letting tons of soiled garments stack up.  Once they're to the point of being washed, it's into the lawn and leaf bag and stacked at the rear of the property. 

My husband and I are both in professional positions.  We don't have too much in the way of laze about clothing.  Plus, I hate doing laundry as it is now, the thought of doing it by hand just kills me.

Now I will have to do bedding and undies.  I've also started picking up cheap used comforters and even sheets.  That way, I won't have to wash as often, and if, God forbid, someone takes ill, I can dispose of those items and still have enough left to see us through.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 2:16pm
Sounds to me like you plan to have a stack of soiled laundry at the back of your property -- OR, maybe I'm mistaken, is that where your garbage hauler collects the trash? You intend to purchase clothing at thrift shops for your family, and after they've worn the items a few times, then you'll bag it for disposal?

Interesting.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 2:35pm
That is assuming the trash man will still be showing up to collect the trash. I'm not counting on that in my preparations.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 2:40pm

Cotton underwear takes longer to dry. Much longer.

Cotton is a big nono for drying. It takes about twice as long to dry. You do not want to use a LOT of bleach on it, because it rots the elastic, long before it gets yellow! Part synthetic colored underwear is the best unless a family member suffers from some type of fungal infection that requires bleaching of socks or panties.

The Amish wear LOTS of polyester. Most of them do laundry for big families by hand, but more and more are starting to use gas powered machines. They wear all that polyester for a reason!

I learned a lot about laundry from living homeless on the island as a child, from a relative who lives in a van, from the Amish/Mennonites, and from being broke in the cold north as a child and an adult.

Unless you want wet laudry spread out EVERYWHERE, you need to pick quick drying items and you need to wear them longer than is PC.

If children are staying indoors all day, they can wear the same sweat suit 24/7 for about two days no problem, then switch to another one when it's dry.

Do you ever watch the children on the news in war zones. Notice how many are wearing cheap sweats, no matter the country!
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:11pm
I suppose I could just throw them in the old barrel and burn them... then disposal would just consist of ashes.  Either way, if we are stuck in the house and on our property for an extended amount of time (months) and the power goes out, I don't want to wash clothes by hand except for delicates and sheets, blankets, stuff like that.

If I can pay three dollars for a bag of sweats/tshirts/jeans/whatnot that will amount to about ten outfits and make my daughter wear them up to three days, depending on how soiled they are, if she was outside, etc... then that is a months worth of clothing.  I figure the water to wash them will be worth more than the three dollars I paid for the clothing.

I know this isn't a practical solution for lots of people, but I am definately no pioneer woman and am trying to think of ways to make this work for me personally.

With regards to trash pickup, I doubt that will be continued if this gets really bad so I have several barrels just for burning rubbish.  I live on a  large tract of land and the entire back of the parcel is heavily wooded.  I'm not in a small lot subdivision where either stock piling bags or burning trash should create a nuisance to anyone.

I also plan to get a large wringer for my bedding.

Another thing I"m doing (off topic here) is buying all paper cups, plates, bowls and plastic forks, spoons and knives.  I don't plan on washing any cooking things excepts pots, pans and collanders - again - it's about water conservation. 

I admire those of you that have the ambition to tackle this all the old fashion way, I just know myself way too well to think I can do it. 
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:30pm
asatrape~it sounds like you have an excellent plan for your comfort level and where you live. That is what this is all about. Doing what we can to survive this. I admire you for making this plan and for thinking it through.
I didn't mean to sound like I was being critical of your plan in my earlier post. I think that buying enough clothes to get your family through a year without washing them is great. I don't have the room to do that. I'm lucky just to find enough room for the food and water that I am storing.
BTW~I am purchasing paper plates, cups, plastic utensils as well. I want to save as much water as possible for drinking and bathing.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:33pm

I just spotted a mop bucket on ebay with a wooden wringer.  It's only 12 qt but might work.  Ebay Item number: 6040036321

Easier than all that hand wringing

flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:33pm
Omega wrote:
<IF I have time, I'm going to research DAWN dish soap, because decades ago, I read in a knitting magazine that knitters & weavers were using that brand of dish soap, and NOTHING ELSE, to wash their fine woolen goods>SNIP

Omega, I am a knitter (compulsive) and I use shampoo for my woolens. Wool from sheep is "hair " so it makes sense to use a product for hair. It rinses out easy and will not strip the natural oils in the wool. Makes them super soft too.  a little squirt is all you need. I use Suave shampoo. It's cost effective and works well. On my prized Aran sweater I use " Sleek look" by Matrix. The wool is imported from Ireland and is a little too itchy for me. this shampoo smooths out the prickles. Besides the damn sweater took me forever to make and I want it to last.

On the subject of wringers ,I have an industrial bucket with a wringer. It works great ,doesn't weigh a ton and is safe and easy enough for one of the kids to use it. (ha! like THAT would ever happen)
I have used the wringer before, when my washer took a dump in the middle of a load, I wrung the clothes out and hung them out to dry.  it was way better than wringing them out by hand.
I only use my dryer on rainy days as it is, so a clothes line is easy for me.
In the event of quartantine I will string up  a new line in the garage.
I recommend getting those huge eye bolts and installing them now in the garage for that purpuse.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:37pm
You might be interested in some of the items in the Lehman's catalogue - especially the manually operated large sized wringer washing machine.

IF you need to do blankets by hand, I've read that if you put up a board outside, and thing put the sheet/blanket around it, and then twist it and twist and twist it, that you can wring most of the water out.

I'm NOT so sure that I can envision myself doing anything quite 'that' physical -- I mean, really, there's LOTS of bedding, and besides, who wants to try that one outdoors when it's cold?

I'm unsure that I want to purchase a manual wringer washing machine where I'm living -- but where YOU are living, it might really be a nice 'extra' to have, just in case.... and it sounds like you've got plenty of room. In Usenet I read one account where one person set theirs up near a stream on their property, LOL -- all that rinse water, WON'T need to worry about the water treatment system being on or off.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 3:40pm
What happened to this thread? I posted and now all the posts stretch down for a mile, being only one inch wide ---- very strange formatting, and one I'm not going to deal with, I thought it was only going to happen to the NEWS/a.i.discussion forum, but I was mistaken.

Good by now to all, and good luck with all your preps. Let's hope we don't NEED them, right! Anyway, take care AND thanks.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:18pm
Omega, I'm not seeing this thread in a long skinny post. Are you still seeing it that way? We are still experiencing some technical difficulties with the changeover. Let me know if you are and I can let the tech people know about it.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:32am
To reuse towels, have each family member have their own color. Put up a hook in the bathroom for each family member. If that is not possible or if you cannot afford new color coded towels, have each family member bring their towel into their bedroom and hang it to try over the footboard or a hook on the back of the door, or over a chair.

Or each family member can know which bathroom hook is theirs.

Do NOT wash towels with regular clothes. THe lint comes off onto the clothes and without the dryer to remove it, it gets messy. Sweats also shed a lot of lint.

I LOVE nylon, lined, windbreaker type pants in rough times. They dry quickly, do not wrinkle, are comfortable over long john bottoms, and do not shed lint. 2 pairs for each family member are worth their weight in gold.

Laundry lint becomes an issue after handwashing for awhile :-( Also if you have no drier, you often have no iron :-0 Damp, wrinkled, linty clothes are no fun :-( Lint and wrinkles are as big an issue as the dampness!
ReadyMom View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReadyMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:07am
I've been watching this site for a few days and there are some GREAT tips.  I'm also prepping in Central PA.  BUT, I have to say that the laundry issue seems to have set off a sort of panic.  Don't forget that this is a SHORT term problem!  It's not a life-time set back of hand washing our stuff! :) I thought the bathtub idea was good.  Gotta Love the Lucy in the wine vat image! An extra-sized storage container next to the bath would be good for the rinsing, for the multiple container idea. The hand ringer for X-tra water is a good one too.  I've been saving my empty laundry detergent bottles (with a little det. left in the bottom) and fill them up and label/date the bottle 'soapy water' -- saw that idea somewhere on this site -- same for my fab. soft. bottles.  Then I store them in closet near my bathtubs.  As for drying --, if it's too cold out or you're in an area where you can't utilize outdoors -- just hang your stuff up on hangers and hang over the door jams of bedrooms & bedroom closets!  I do this all the time for stuff I don't want to shrink in the dryer -- there'll just be more for a while.  Jeans/pants can be hung on the hangers w/the clips (I can hang about 8-10 pr. jeans in a closet doorway that way!)  Stuff should be dry by the next day. (And the laundry detergent/fab. soft  smell will freshen the house (we all need a little fresh smell after being pent up for a while!) When we go to hotels I use the same method for pool towels/bathing suits if we don't have access to outdoor balcolny. Sheets, etc may take longer, 'cause your'e folding them to fit ... but it can be done! Of course, we have to remember that this is worse-case scenario for lack of electricity. 
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:59pm
My life has reached TSHTF many times :-) This laundry thing happens OFTEN. Reocurring problem :-) Maybe not a lifetime setback for the rest of you :-) I just can't seem to keep a washer and dryer and iron going all at the same time to save my life :-0 13 month old washer is already wearing out :-( Just in time for the warranty :-(
oknut View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:08pm
Sorry, but my dang login isn't working again.  Only worked for one day since the 15th. 
KatDoe67 - I swear they manufacture appliances to wear out about the time the warranty expires.  I've had the best luck with the cheapest models made and used appliances.  At least then when they take a crap, you're not out a fortune.  
I just ordered a mop bucket thing with a wood roller wringer on it.  The worst part of hand washing is the hand wringing. 
Hopefully, none of us will spend extended periods of time without electricity, but you never know. 
Don't know what is up with the forum that I cannot login for long, if at all and when I enter something, it acts as though I'm entering search data with each keystroke.  Very strange. 
At least I can still read and reply though it's difficult.

oknut (Deb)
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:36pm
...clothes pins...Must add to list...
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

I've been watching this site for a few days and there are some GREAT tips.  I'm also prepping in Central PA.  BUT, I have to say that the laundry issue seems to have set off a sort of panic.  Don't forget that this is a SHORT term problem!  It's not a life-time set back of hand washing our stuff! 

ReadyMom~you had some great tips of your own. Thanks for sharing them.
I have to say though, that I read through this thread again, and I see no panic in anything that I have read. We are preparing, not going into panic mode. Many of us have been in situations where we have had no electricity and/or running water for various lengths of time. We are just trying to share our experiences with the members of this board who have had no real experience with that. Most commonly people will have the power out for a few days due to a storm or something and they will just wait for the power to come back on before doing the laundry again.

When this pandemic hits, we have no idea how long we will be without power and/or running water. No one can guarantee to me that this will be a short term problem as you call it. I am not counting on anything or anybody. I am doing what I can right now to prepare as much as possible in the off chance that my world will never return to the normal that I take so much for granted right now.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:54pm

DAYDREAMER -- Nobody can tell me this is a 'short term' nothing to worry about dilemma, NO expert is saying anything of the kind -- indeed, Dr.Webster has enough food and water for three months. Michael Osterholm stated on national television that we might lose ALL water treatment systems and they might not be back online for months.

If anybody thinks that mentioning those facts indicates that the poster is "In A PANIC" then somebody has serious reading comprehension problems.

I'm purchasing another wringer, as I said before, but having read how other people intend to deal with the clothing issue, like others, I now intend to also purchase a LARGE amount of clothing this year, as you see, I really haven't seriously thought about what is needed, what will happen, if I become ill?
I will also purchase more than enough large trash bags so that the USED unwashed clothes can be stored in the rafters in the garage until such time that they can be laundered.

I'm sure there are plenty other people who are doing the major part of the prepping for their families, who simply haven't wondered what is the back up if THEY are the one becomes ill.

This requires a whole 'nother set of contingency plans, requiring non-cook foods, many many more and a greater variety of same.

I mean really, what if ALL the adults in a residence become ill at the same time?

Oh goodness, why would someone be seriously concerned how to launder sick room bedding and clothing during an international pandemic?

WHAT A SILLY PERSON.     

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 8:41am
Incidentally, do be careful with clothing made from LIGHT WEIGHT cloth, or with clothing that is old & worn ------ many of this kind of items are way too delicate to survive going through a wringer without developing small rips and/or holes.

I'm really glad that I've learned this NOW, and not during an enforced quarantine when there will not likely be many ways to replace clothes.

Just last night I was pretty shocked that a pair of light weight knit sweatpants had a three-inch rip after going through the wringer ONCE - as really, although not new, they certainly were NOT worn out and they were NOT flimsy, or I would have simply wrung them out by hand.

Quite a few of the T-shirts my family owns now have tiny holes in them, too.......

VERY interesting experiment, maybe if I'd have used a large sized wringer, this wouldn't have occurred.

Won't know that, though, until I get another larger wringer....
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:02am
hi to all the problem of washing comfoters or blankets can be helped by usseing duvets,"did i spell that right" covers for the blankets or comforters, ever watch the show the show the 1900's houes ,i think it was called that on i think PBS. well any way , you can buy them in stores,but they can be expensivve or you can make them out of sheets ,, you create open/closers by using snaps ,sew close/ whatever, i collect vintage quilts and we use them, the warmest ever, the ones that are frayed i cover with the duvets  good luck roxy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic