Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

chafing pot fuels and camping stoves.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chafing pot fuels and camping stoves.
    Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:00pm
I've been messing around for days with chafing pot fuel and a variety of stoves and pots and pans.

The best stove, is a cheap folding one I got at the army store. Campmor sells them for about $6.00 I think and Beprepared for about $8.00.

Definately works for heating canned food. Cooking and boiling is a bit more difficult. It takes 45 minutes to an hour to get 2 1/2 cups cool room temperature water to a full rolling boil.

For cooking, you are limited to pretty much this type of cooking, but at least it's something. Instead of plastic bags in a cozy, I'm using a thermos.

I successfully made tabouli today with sun dried tomatoes that is REALLY good, that I got out of a backpacking cookbook. I also made a potato soup using the idea from the above site of 1/2 cup each dry milk and instant potatoes, to 2 cups boiling water. I flavored mine with dehydrated chives and pasley, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Yummy. Puppy liked both. So you CAN cook with this stove, but...

I think I'm going to buy a single burner gas camping stove and take my chances running it in the house just long enough to get water or water and soup ingredients, or grains hot enough to cook in a thermos. I figure running a hotter flame for a shorter time will actually produce less carbon monoxide in the long run.

I cannot afford to stock up on the kinds of canned goods many of you can afford, and I cannot depend on cooking outside. I've got to figure out how to make this thermos thing work well enough to cook basic bulk foods.

Does anyone know of any research on running the unvented stoves inside just long enough to boil 4 cups of water with about 1 cup of grains and beans and dehydrated veggies, rather than running 2 burners long enough to cook a traditional meal?

If needbe I could reheat large beans every two hours, just long enough to get them boiling again. When tried on my electric stove it only takes about two minutes and then they go right back in the thermos. One or two reheats gets large beans nice and mushy.

I'd LOVE to hear about anyone elses research and expirements with stoves and thermoses.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:07pm
Our grill has a burner on it, so I'm counting on that for the boiling.

I've been looking at bunsen (sp?) burners and old fashion cooking pits.  I think, since my property is wooded, the pits will be the answer for most meals.  I've gotten several grills thingies... the wire cover that goes over coals on grills that you cook on.  You just dig a shallow small diameter pit, start a fire and burn it down until it's mostly embers, place the grill thingy over the top, and you're good to go.

I also have some catering equipment so if I just have to warm something up, I can use those with the canned burners under them.

I have a lot more research to do, but I'm working with the assumption that there'll be limited fresh meat to work with so it'll come down to boiling water and warming up canned stuff.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:16pm
Try using that small burner with a prassure cooker.  It will superheat faster and then if you wrap the pressure cooker in things like blankets it will work like a thermos for things like dried beans.
Ironstone
Wraith View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wraith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:17pm
Kat, I honestly wouldn't worry to much about using a propane stove in your house to just heat up water to cook with. You won't be burning it for long enough periods to build up a toxic amount of CO2. I camp/hunt ALOT and I cook on my single burner stove in my tent all the time, plus have a single mantle lantern going at night and I'm still alive. The only way I might see this being a problem is if you tape your windows shut, block the air flow from under your doors, etc... As long as there is air coming into and leaving your house you'll be fine. Just DO NOT fall asleep with it on, that is asking for trouble. Dennis 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape, finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Voltaire

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action"
Einstein
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2006 at 5:35pm
Thanks Ironstone about the advise about a pressure cooker.... I'm going to have to practice with that since I"ve never used one before.  I've stocked up mainly on canned beans that should last several months, but have dried beans for after that if the situation requires it (which I hope it won't).  Maybe I'll get a pressure cooker and try that this weekend to see how it works..... practice makes perfect and all that!
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:20am

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'm trying to put away some supplies, but I think KNOWLEGDE especially the ability to cook and handwash clothes EFFICIENTLY will be worth more in an emergency than actual supplies.

I guess I'm off to the library to get a book out on pressure cooking :-) I've been thinking of getting one, but have to move so slowly on purchasing items as I just have to try really hard not to waste money.

The pressure gets the food hotter than boiling right?? So if you get the food up to pressure, it's hotter than regular stove top food, so if you then get it into a cozy, it will cook longer than a regular pot? Hmm...that s an interesting thought! Is there info on COMBINING pressure cooking and thermal cooking?????
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:20am
KatDoe -  I spotted a small pressure cooker at Walmart for $17 last week.  Sounds like a very affordable investment.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:26am
Originally posted by KatDoe67 KatDoe67 wrote:

Definately works for heating canned food. Cooking and boiling is a bit more difficult. It takes 45 minutes to an hour to get 2 1/2 cups cool room temperature water to a full rolling boil.

45 minutes to boil 2.5 cups of water.  Now calculate how much fuel you burned in that 45 minutes, then do the same with propane or butane.  I guarantee that the cost of sterno fuel to boil 2.5 cups of water costs a LOT more than the propane to boil 2.5 cups of water. 

If you're worried about carbon monoxide, get a carbon monoxide detector.  They're so valuable that many jurisdictions REQUIRE their use in homes that have gas service.  They go off at concentrations so slight that if you open a window when it goes off and stop the source, you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to worry about.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:50am

Yes, I agree 45 minutes of burning chafing fuel to boil 2.5 cups water is NOT a good investment of money! The containors say 5 hours for $1.00, but I don't think I got that much burn time.

Jetboil is another option, I'm looking at. Also Coleman has a new slowcooker. Whaever I do, it needs to take advantage of thermal. I have to drive by the library today, so will pick up the pressure cooking book I saw there last week, and should have gotten. I was too loaded down on grain and bean books though, and thought the chafing fuel would get water hot enough to pour in the thermos, a LOT quicker.

Can you cook ANY type of bread in a pressure cooker?

I'm NOT a picky eater and will eat almost ANYTHING other than certain meats. I get grossed out by meat quickly, but will eat small amounts of it. I do crave bread with my bean and grain soups! Gotta figure out how to make SOME type of bread in a kitchen without venting. Weird me, but I like storage food :-0 Going hungry as a kid  will do that to you I guess :-0

Yeah, I can cook all sorts of stuff outside, and will play this summer, but want something for inside. It's cold and nasty here much of the year.

I got a little money for my birthday so have some to play with. I just don't want to make any more mistakes. I need to make this cash WORK, as I might not have anymore for awhile.
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:16am
Kat, I've been experimenting with the thermos too.  I can effectively cook pastas, rice, wheat, but not beans yet.  I can get them soft enough to be edible, but not really GOOD.  I haven't tried cracking them with a hammer.

For using the stove in the house, get a carbon monoxide detector and keep it near the stove.  My husband has camped in those big outfitters tents and they keep a stove running, but use the detector to make sure the guys are all safe. 

For bread, have you ever used a dutch oven?   These start at about $30 and you use with charcoal--definitely an outside experience, but you can do it on the concrete outside your door.  This could replace your oven if power was out.  I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of others, for bread, if you can't get it oven cooked, you can fry the dough in either a pan, or in oil.    And actually I saw a post on "dough balls" once a long time ago, but bread dough is really good.  I have to keep my kids out of it long enough to get it cooked. 

I have a couple of other ideas on the beans.  Will let you know if I can get anything to work.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:28am
I've looked high and low in my Walmart for one. Any particular isle?? That size pressure cooker would be perfect for us. Can you give me the UPC code and I'll see if the store has it in inventory somewhere. TIA
Ironstone View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:21am
Here are two sites that should answer some of your questions and has some bred making directions.

Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:52am
I'm thinking of getting a CO2 detector.  It can't hurt, especially if TSHTF and we're all using propane-type stoves in the house.

As long as we still have electricity, I plan on using the regular stove or microwave. 

I was thinking of taking time to build a solar oven though.  Might be a fun experiment.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:57am
Regarding bread:  I think I'll be making mostly tortillas and biscuits.  Has anyone tried the canned B & M brown bread?  I'm wondering if it's worth the money for the occasional treat?
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:08am
Okay, I'll say it again, why the mental block against homemade bread??  I make both homemade tortillas and homemade  bread.  Bread is as easy to mix and quicker to make.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:15am
I think, with homemade bread, for me anyway, it's a matter of inexperience.  I guess rather than poopooing it, I should just try it. 

If the power or gas goes out, and I'm cooking outside on a grill or fire pit, would I just make flatter loaves to make sure the center cooks all the way?
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:23am

I've posted a totally idiot-proof bread recipe here on other threads.  The ONLY problem I've ever had with it is when I forget it's rising and I let it rise so much it falls in the middle.  But even then my kids love it.  You do need to knead this for about 8 minutes.  (But if you've ever made tortillas, the rolling out process is very time consuming--they need to be pretty thin to be good.) I use my Kitchenaid for kneading, but if you don't have one, it's just working the dough.  Do it when you're pissed at somebody--very theraputic. 

If no power, just cook the dough on a griddle like fry bread or in grease like scones or navajo tacos. 

I want you to commit to try it and then let me know how it goes.  Wink 
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 11:34am
Alllllllllrightttttttt.... I'll try it this weekend.  If you don't see any posts from me after Saturday it's because an out of control big glob of yeasty beast consumed me before I could knead it......
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:52pm

I know how to make a variety of breads. I just don't know how to make bread in a closed up kitchen without making too much CO2, or having to buy yet another prep item. I need to buy a CO2 detector :-( My kitchen is so drafty I could probably cook with ANYTHING i want at full blast all day :-0

It's just that hubby says he knows the flu is coming, but we'll stay home and be fine with what we have. Yeah, right :-( No need to prep or make any plans. Everything will just work itself out :-0 And after Bill Reilly said everything hubby has been saying...well now...nothing needs to be done.

So I'm trying to prep for myself, the puppy and my 17 year old son, spending JUST my usual grocery and household budget :-( I've done a DAMN good job so far. Hubby can eat whatever I've put away for the rest of us, but I've stopped factoring him in my plans. He's a big boy and can prep for himself.

Stocking food he hates is a plus right now :-) I'm barely 100 pounds, son takes after me, and puppy is a toy breed. We don't eat much. Hubby is a BIG boy. He eats twice what the 3 of us eat combined.

So me, puppy and 17 year old like soup, but we also really like bread. I'd rather spend a little money on getting together a safe way to cook indoors, than spend a lot of money on special foods. It'll be cheaper in the long run to keep rotating basic foods.

If and when TSHTF hubby will probably be a great asset, definately in security since everyone is terrified of him but us...but I figure that if I totally depend on him, I'm going to be MUCH more uncomfortable than I need to...for NO good reason.

I need kitchen soup, bread and chocolate cake :-) Then I can just ignore hubby and society for weeks while HE figures out how he wants to adjust. JUst stay in my kitchen and cook food he hates and play soliaire and play with my puppy :-)

So I have this birthday money and need to use it WISELY. I was looking at grinders to crack beans, but I think I want to get something GOOD to cook with.

Don't try hammering on the cutting board. The beans dent it. You need a hard surface as well as a hard hammer. THe beans fly everywhere. Puppy enjoyed the episode, but I didn't :-0 Hubby decided I'm DEFINATELY losing my mind. 17 year old has known I've ALWAYS been crazy.

All I have to cook with right now is chafing fuel. I don't even have a camp stove. Hubby has an empty gas grill and an outdoor fireplace, but that is going to take HUBBY to straighten out. I can't arrange a wood delivery of start storing large flamable tanks without his help and some money.

So if I store fuel it needs to be used EFFICIENTLY, because I can't store much without talking to him about where to store it.

Just got back from the library. I have books on pressure cookers and steamers. I'm doing some research on Jet Boil and BakePacker. I gotta buy something, but am afraid to make another mistake :-(
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:54pm

Ironstone,Thanks for the pressure cooker link!

SLCmom, did you try bringing the beans back up to a boil and putting them back in the thermos for a second cook?
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:47pm
Kat, I love that you're buying food your hubby hates and I totally understand the budget situation.  My prep budget is what I can save from my already stretched grocery budget. 

And now the really important question:  What are you doing for chocolate cake?  Egg substitutes??
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 4:43am
I can't afford egg substitutes or to special order powdered eggs! :-)

Do a websearch for "Wacky Cake" and find a version you like. Here's one to get you started.

Wacky Cake VIII
Submitted by: Mary Knipe
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 19 members
Yields: 10 servings
"This cake is make without milk or eggs and is moist, dark and delicious. A brain child of the depression era when ingenious cooks developed a cake that could be made without expensive and scarce ingredients."
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
4 tablespoons unsweetened
cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into an 8x8 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three depressions. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour water over all, and stir well with fork.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:42am
Astratape... who won?  You or the yeasty beast???
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 11:18am
 fenvet , brought on clearance sale, look up on top of shelves in the isle, we found ours there,sister and i ,brought, 15$ each  for them , the rest were 40$ and up, walmart,,,,,miro ,,brand name,,,4.2 qt...upc code 7200992040, but if yiou can afford the better one go for it good luck roxy
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 12:26pm
Kat - Thank you for posting the Wacky Cake recipe. I did buy some powdered eggs but not a lot. This way I can make something sweet without using up the egg powder.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 2:26pm
I grew up on Wacky cake and always make it myself when broke. I can stockpile the ingredients when I have extra money and never have to worry about hungry teenagers or hubby eating the ingredients, before they can be baked. I cannot store chocolate chips, nuts, or such. Before my 19 year old left, even large amounts of eggs could dissapear suddenly.

Wacky cake is my security blanket :-)
BF WATCHER View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BF WATCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 2:58pm
i was watching food tv and emeril was doing an asian themed dinner he said you could use a one pot propane stove at the table to keep the dish warm he showed a BURTON propane stove lit and had boiling broth on it and he was indoors while showing how it worked
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:00pm
Wacky cake sounds like it will be a winner in my home for the same reasons. I have a 61 year old husband who finds ANY goodies I tuck away, but like you mentioned - none of these ingredients are going to magically disappear. It's a keeper.

Thanks again,
Deb (oknut)
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:02pm
Propane fumes are fine. Just be careful about the CO2.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 3:53pm
    Another easy chocolate brownie recipe:

1 boxed chocolate cake mix
1 16 oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup of water

Mix together and bake per usual. Best if you bake them in muffin tins. I take this to parties and it's a huge hit.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 4:49pm
I'm getting hungry ...
So Katdoe67 this is where that bean thermos recipe is happening! Wink!
Yep, sounds interesting here ... I believe it about kneading the dough when you're pissed slcmom, kinda takes it all outta ya doesn't it!!
As for the tortillas (ohgosh, another Native suggestion) but since we do the frybread by hand ... think of how pizza dough is done!  Pat the peach sized dough into a thick pancake, and you do it like "pat-a-cake" and let gravity pull at the edges ... sounds easier than it really is and it takes time but you'll catch on ... or use a tortilla press to flatten it alittle and take a 1"wide x 18" long dowel to flatten it to piecrust thickness.  I use a cast iron pan, heated (med to med-hi), no oil.  just be ready to turn, not burn.  Takes practice so don't give up ... I'm still trying to get the tortillas down just right myself because my DH loves homemade tortillas!
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:22pm

Here is a good "break up the bored taste buds" Recipe.

Shrimp Fettuchini Alfredo

Make a basic white sauce, using dried milk, but reduce water  in the milk by 1/2 (you want it thick). Final volume about 3 cups

stir in about 2 cups of Kraft or other brand Parmesan and Romano Cheese ( you know, the stuff you put on Spagetti and pizza).

Start pasta boiling

garlic powder, fresh if you have it, bottled/crushed if you don't,  to taste.

2 cans of small shrimp (tiny?)

simmer briefly, adjust seasonings .

Pour some wine, pour the sauce and shrimp over the pasta and enjoy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 2:39pm
    PLease someone respond to this! I tried the paint cans with the toilet paper inside, covered with rubbing alcohol. I did a test run last night and the flame lasted a really long time, 2 hours+, but the fumes were pretty strong. Is this okay? And also, has anyone ever cooked over one of these? I love the idea, it's really easy to make these, but I am concerned about fumes. HELP!!!
phoenixrising View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:26pm

EVERYONE, please, use soy flour as an egg substitute in baked goods.

One heaping tablespoon soy flour + 1 table spoon of water = one large egg.

Your baked goods will rise like normal.  We only use soy flour in baked items.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:36pm
Hi therese,
What type of alcohol did you use to burn?

Denatured alcohol is used to burn as fuel.
It seems that you may have used regular isocorbyl (sp?) alcohol which is meant to be used for the medicine cabinet.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:39pm
Recipes ...

Check back in this forum on "Tin Can Alley ..." for meals using "canned" foods ... I have some back there as well ...Wink!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic