Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

I’ve Stopped Prepping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otskot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’ve Stopped Prepping
    Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:22pm
For some reason, I just don't feel the urgency anymore. By and large, recent news has shown that while, yes, the virus is spreading among birds… there does not readily appear any large rash of B2H cases or the dreaded H2H going on. A 100 people dead in the 9 years since this has been around is really nothing.

I had been rapidly prepping up until two weeks ago. Now, I’m just not as worried. Perhaps I'm being foolhardy. Dunno. Anyone else feel similarly? I’m concerned that perhaps I bought into the hype a bit too much. Not that there is any downside about having an emergency prep supply of course — heck, it could be a hurricane, earthquake or any of a number of things. I’m just starting to have some doubts that it is actually going to be Bird Flu. Regardless, this site has been absolutely awesome in feedback and suggestions for emergency prepping, and I'm awfully glad for that. 
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:35pm
Once I had all my preparations complete, and I studied my medical options, (trying to memorize Dr. Grattan Woodsons text and symptom matrix) I did stop preparing, except to monitor outbreaks. I am looking for:

1. Family clusters in US
2. Health care  worker clusters in US
3. Long lines at the Emergency Room
4. Increased mortality of pneumonia and influenza on the CDC website for
my town

This is just monitoring. The sky is blue, the weather is great. We are ready for the storm but no one should focus on this forever. Someone said "Fearing death, they never really lived."
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
otskot View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otskot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:36pm
Excellent points. Thanks. 
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:39pm
i am with you on this, i too have stopped prepping, and i am not as ready as i should be.  i feel kind of burned out on all of it.
dee
Glow View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:40pm
Otskot....no one knows where this is going....there are "best case scenarios, and worse case scenarios".  Everyone has a "comfort zone" in "what" kind of prepping and "how" much prepping is needed.   There is no exact formula.  I'm one that prefers to have more then less and I'm one to try to  be "ahead of the game".  That I think is part of my personality trait...it's what works for me.....I wouldn't be comfortable "waiting" until more is known...again, that's me...my own "comfort zone".  The way I see it, all these preps are "not wasted money"....If we see a  best case scenario, I will use it up slowly over time ....and since I live in south Florida I'm way ahead of the game in hurricane preps.  All I can say is that at least you have some preps...please don't stop coming to be informed...and perhaps you might reconsider by continuing to prep  more slowly....whatever you choose, I wish you good luck!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:47pm
otskot...I to have had prep burn out and have set it aside in fact last year upon thinking I was going to move I gave all of my preps away...well i am still in the same house and I am still prepping....We all need to take a break it gets overwhelming at times..and I think many of us sit and ask ourselves the same questions..but as i have explained to my kids..what we have stocked if the avian flu should not turn H2H..is we will be saving money towards the months of Christmas and what we do save from our monthly groceries will be put into a fund towards Christmas gifts...

and I personally would rather keep prepping now and have the future still in mind..then have this all of a sudden jump H2H and be without...these are just my thoughts and on no way reflect on to the decesion you have made...
I totally agree because sometimes we wonder when is enough really enough...
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:50pm
I can't stop. It's habit forming.
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:55pm
I think I'm changing the direction of my preps. I have enough wet canned goods and even food stuffs in general. Now I will move onto more home goods and "luxury" items like extra bedding, pillows, towels, basic items for cooking and laundry and air & water filtration. I can't see stopping prepping. It just changes direction the more you learn. Also books and taking courses on learning skills that could be of value if the pooh really does hit the fan. You have to have a plan in you mind or on paper even and relay that information to your loved ones involved now because you just can't do that kind of thinking best in a pressure situation. The plan may not remain constant and may need tweeking here and there depending on what's going on. I think being here on this board is definitely one of my most important, if not the most important, thing I do to prep and I am very grateful for all of those who come here and continue to share their knowlege and wisdom with me. Keep on prepp'n! That's my motto. :>} 
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 12:58pm
While I have a tendancy to agree with you, it is a common phenomena for people to go through stages of "fanaticism" when it comes to preps. When you first become aware of an impending incident, the immediate urge is for "prep overload" then, as your awareness continues to develop, and you see the level of preps that you have accumulated, you have a tendancy to slow down. Again, this is a natural function. But, please keep in mind, that it is also prevelent for "us" to feel that what "we" know, everyone knows. And as such, it is part of our group psyche to not appear to be "over the top". Reality is, most of the "sheeple" are totally unaware of the potential and have not even laid in an extra can of Spam (let alone tuna and powdered milk).  Iam NOT fearful of the "bug". I AM fearful of the knee-jerk reactions of the sheeple population, fed by a mainstream-media that will view the first reported case of high lethality H5N1 (remember: "If it bleeds, it leads" is the media mantra) as "the end of the world as we know it". And, although H5N1 still rate high on my radar, so does Iran (Hotieh), EMP weapons, Dirty bombs, civil unrest, and a whole multitude of other concerns that make my preps seem a more prudent course of action. It is not my place to say one way or another if your preps are good or bad, but, speaking for myself, there is a whole lot of stuff going on out there, H5N1 notwithstanding, that make preps, even minimal preps a wise action in todays times.

OK, I will now climb down off my soap-box and return to lurk-mode.

T/D
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:08pm
I'm still prepping, but I do think the chances are slim that we will see a H2H pandemic hit in the near future.  Living in the Carolinas, we also have hurricanes and wicked thunderstorms, tornados and straight line winds.  In the winter, we had an ice storm one year that crippled the area for a week (unfortunately, I was in Paris and Italy and missed that, but my daughter sure gave me an earful) and I have NEVER been prepared for any of these things.  Now I am.  So it's all good. 

One point of worry, is that I've stored lots of stuff in my attic.  If a tornado blows my roof off I'm screwed.
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:11pm
Ha!   (More Ammo required).Pinch
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:19pm
Habit forming?  Definately!  I can get by on what I have and could stop anytime.  But as I stated in a previous post this is going to be a continued lifestyle change.  About another $1,000 and I'll be above "comfortable".  Yes I am getting tired of trying preach to the non-believers, and I'd prefer to just circle my wagons at this point.  But I really do believe that "something evil this way comes." 
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:20pm

Don't forget that your preps are for many possibilities, not avian flu alone. Here in Denver, a killer storm is a statistical probability and my family is now prepared.
It's always the lowest common denominator.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:31pm
I have definitely slowed down, I think the news is slow so that's why we are feeling more Smilecomfortable.
Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:37pm
I am mostly done with our preps. I will do the final wave when there are reports of H2H anywhere in the world. I think that waiting for H2H in the US might be cutting it too close for me.
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 1:40pm
I also am feeling somewhat less threatened but I think in my case perhaps it is because My preps are as complete as I can make them. I have lots of some things and some of lots of things and at least one of a lot of things I never thought I'd be buying. Now I come on the forum not for guidance so much as to monitor the news and for  the company of intelligent, fun people. I do still think its immenant but I guess I am at the stage of " When rape is inevitable,Relax and enjoy it", and I do think its inevitable.But I dont think Im gonna enjoy it much.
Those who will not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
Terri View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:27pm
For those who are "prepped out", how long have you been diligently prepping? I have only started prepping and every time I make a purchase of non- essential items I think- "This  $$ could have paid for xx pounds of dry beans, deodorant or toilet paper.  Am I making a bad choice?"  Its a weird feeling.
dudeman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:42pm
I ask myself, has the government stopped prepping too..  The national road tour, the daily checklists, 100 Million masks, stockpiling of antivirals, the billions of dollars requested of congress.  While the news as slowed down, I will slow down when the government does.  If things were rosie, I have better things to spend my money on and so does the government.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:30pm
Jaxmax and others.  "What is the CDC website for my town" Do all your US towns have wevbsites that show health statistics or is this a bf thing?  Nothing of the kind in the UK, I wish there was.
Rainla View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:35pm
Terri - I have prepped since late December. I guess I just need a break. I will continue to rotate my supplies and monitor the situation. I will be adding to my very long-term supplies over time and spend this spring and summer growing a garden and learning how to can.
Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:36pm
Hi ALL-
I go through phases but then I just read how fast the H5N1 virus has bombarded half the world in such a short amount of time. Yes- it has been around for a lot of years with only 100+ deaths but it's just the speed now in the last, say, 6 months that has me concerned. Everyday I look for evidence to point me in the opposite direction of this going H2H and it's just not happening for me. I think I am done prepping but I am just not. I agree that if anything, this has been a total lifestyle change for me. I now will be "shopping" out of my basement and when I do go to the store, it'll be to replace the basement stash. Great ideas keep coming out of this forum and I agree that the best ongoing prep is to keep reading and discussing ideas here!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 3:42pm
I have been looking forward to finishing so I don't have to think about it all the time.  Also then I can concentrate on rotating the stuff.  I'm not going to rotate all the rice and beans.  I'll just give it away when it gets near its date and replace it.  Frankly the idea of living on rice and beans during BF when I'd already been eating it to rotate it for months is very depressing.  I'm also pleased to have the chance to practise some things.  Like making a fire to cook rice on, finding best fuel etc.
TheBeginning View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBeginning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:03pm

I've slowed down on my prepping too but I still think it's trying to mutate.  I think this news that it's currently found deep within the respiratory tract doesn't mean much because the nature of a virus is to become communicable and I think it'll eventually do that.  Right now I think it's taking "baby steps" but as soon as it finds the right DNA to steal, those baby steps will turn into running all over the place. I'm hoping we've got at least until the Fall...but never would be better.

crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:07pm
Rainla- that is what I plan to do - a big garden and then lots of canning the fresh, organic produce. I not only prep for bird flu but all other things that could happen since our world changed on 9/11. When I talk to people about prepping they seem to "get that" part of it when they kinda scoff at the bird flu prep.
peace
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:22pm
I started to slow my prepping down a couple of weeks ago.  Then the news picked up and the virus started spreading again.  Then a couple of days ago my horoscope said (the last couple of lines) "Remember the story about the ant and the grasshopper.  Now is the time to store food for the future."  coincidental and creepy. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:39pm
My preps are pretty much complete except for the infamous "Last Minute" list. 

My view of preps is that I do it every year for ramp up to hurricane season.  Got caught once not prepared... never again.  For a possible pandemic it is of course much more extensive but will still be used if we experience a hurricane or major earth quake.  Multi-purpose preps.

Sure, it was a lot of work and a lot of money.  Sure, I could have been like most and said that I would wait to see if the threat materialized.  But I believe that by the time we KNOW that we need to prepare it will be too late.  Having stood in line for food and water before I made the promise that we would never be put in that position again.

Each person needs to make the decision about what they are comfortable with and financially capable of doing.  There are about as many answers as there are people making the decision.  We all live by the decisions we make and sometimes we die by them.  But I take great pride in knowing that those who choose to visit us and read are making informed decisions, whether or not I would agree with them is beside the point. 
andrew p View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 4:40pm
I ramped up to get the food in, and now I am taking a more relaxed and methodical approach to getting medical supplies, and other household necessities.

I'm still full speed ahead with plans to make my home energy independent, and my land more able to produce food. That's stuff I have always wanted to do, and BF (and all of the above mentioned scenarios) are just motivators to get it done sooner rather than later.

It is easy to be lulled into inaction. Slow news, good news, whatever, and you let your guard down a little. I suspect if things are quieter for a bit, it will pick up when BF inevitably arrives here in birds.

If you just need to compulsively worry, go have a read at

life after the oil crash

Here's the first paragraph just to get you excited:

Dear Reader,

Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon. This is not the wacky proclamation of a doomsday cult, apocalypse bible prophecy sect, or conspiracy theory society. Rather, it is the scientific conclusion of the best paid, most widely-respected geologists, physicists, and investment bankers in the world. These are rational, professional, conservative individuals who are absolutely terrified by a phenomenon known as global "Peak Oil."

You'll find huge forums like this one dedicated to peak oil, with many of the same concerns.

Sorry if that didn't help!

It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 5:11pm
AndrewP, Why does clicking on that link get me tothe hoomepage here? fritz
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
cccc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 5:56pm
I love prepping because I have learned so much practical information from everyone's generous posts, and interesting ways to be more independent. The huge hardware store is no longer a remote alien planet. I have more of a can do attitude now - why just last week I even fixed the toilet - me! I even got a book on plumbing so that I can have a reference manual when I need it in the future... Amazing grace. Today I was on the horn with a solar power guy trying to figure out how to get a little set-up. Next I will study the hydroponic gardening style. I will learn how to can produce, too. Just knowing that I am taking the best care of myself that I can is empowering. My intent is strength - and I thank you all for your help. 
Arkansawyers View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkansawyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 7:15pm
I feel as CCCC does, above.  These are great life skills and plans to have in place anyhow...like hobbies.  I've enjoyed immensely all the bleed over into other things I enjoy, like hunting, camping, gardening, etc.   If you REALLY want to have a great time (I was already into this anyway, since whenever) learn to shoot well, and then work on competitive shooting.   Wonderful time, good friends, VERY useful skill.   I shoot competively in IDPA and somewhat in IPSC and its a blast (literally). 
"Praise be to the Lord my rock,
               who trains my hands for war,
               my fingers for battle."
                                             Psalms 144:1
cccc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:32pm
Hi Arkan, Meet my newest friend, Benelli, a real good talker.
andrew p View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:43pm
Fritz, I don't know why that happened to the link. I fixed it.
It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
Arkansawyers View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arkansawyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:56pm

Big smile  Really?!   I JUST got hold of a nice used Benelli M1 practical model here this past week!  A great gun, and a very entertaining piece of work.  I believe we shall have a long and enjoyable acquaintance!

"Praise be to the Lord my rock,
               who trains my hands for war,
               my fingers for battle."
                                             Psalms 144:1
cccc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:05pm
And don't forget to mention that Benelli is a light, beautiful, powerful being. Mucho gusto.
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:15pm
I love prepping. I have so much fun with it and I always feel great when I aquire more items. I'm not as panicked now but I still have more items to go.

I visit the site daily looking for news. And as what was mentioned above, I love belonging to a group with intelligent and like minded individuals.

This also has been a lifestyle change for me. It has made me think about alot of things as well. Some harsh realities about our society now and what it could turn out to be.

It sure will be nice to not have to worry about prepping when TSHTF.
"Prepping is Power"!
Edrn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edrn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:40am
very good points all, even tho I am not preparing in the way many others in forum seem to be.
I just couldn't resist sneak in a little personal coment on what I fear the most- and that would be current admin. i. e.  Duh!bya, Cheney, Rummie et al. Nuke Question Question
alia atreides
harpmandoodle View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harpmandoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:20am
Stopping or slowing is not a fault. It means you are very much prepared anyway. Prepping was always going to be exponential and then flattening off like all those graphs we got in school or college.

Recycling of preps is a also a good idea, provided you have something you want to eat/use now within you stores. My rule 10% out now, 10% back in next week. That way you stay 90% prepared.

HD
RicheeRich View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RicheeRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 5:11am
I refuse to stop.

I am prepping now on behalf of certain other people who I know. There are several people who I would like to have survive this thing, just to keep me company after everyone else dies, and I am certain that they don't have the money (or the foresight) required to do it.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to go to gun shows, and blow my money. Sort of like my girlfriend does each week at the mall on totally unnecessary crap.
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 5:13am
I sure understand the burn out on prepping thing. I go through those kind of phases too. I've also seen -- in terms of BF news -- quiet periods and then just as I think I've been nuts to do all this, things heat up again. I would guess that this will heat up again too and we will be very, very glad we've been prepping. -- Libby
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 6:50am
 hi to all,  i'm tired of my paycheck going on electric, oil  for heat and hot water, and food , all this, costs way to much. i want to off set the electric with  a little solar lighting ,  wood burning stove for heat/cooking, go back to basics where i can on food to decrease th amount of money i spend on it. i have a garden a nd fruit trees and fruit bushes and strawberry plants, this forum has help me to do this and more. and yes something is comming down the pike, i belong to red cross and have taken a fema class and it's everyman for himself.., as told to me by police, fireman,ect.  so better to be prepared than waiting in line for help  good luck roXY
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:27am
Given the recent news, if you have "paused" in preparation for the "Event" you may want to rethink that.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:35am
i do not mean to be combative, but what recent news ? how is this week any different than last ?  what am i missing ?
dee
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:39am
I think Thomas is referring to the increasing reports of infections in various parts of the world. Plus reading between the lines of what the government is saying or not saying. Anyway, I agree with Thomas that just because there is a seeming lull in news (with the emphasis on "seeming") we shouldn't think we're out of the woods. To the contrary, I have ramped up my prepping activity in the last week because I just don't like the general slant of the news. -- Libby
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:42am

thanks, i think you are both right, my holiday is over. i will prep-on...

dee
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:43am
Deej -- If you haven't seen it already, here is the news link to an interview with Michael Osterholm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic