Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

I’ve Stopped Prepping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 5:54pm
I'm done......I refuse to spend more than 10 minutes a day even thinking about bird flu.  I've prepped and now it's back to "normal life".  When TSHTF I'll go and buy lots of hard squash and onions... fill the empty water bottles and lock the doors.  Till then.."party On".......
willtolive
pwyz View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 6:10pm
Spoon:  Try www.bettymills.com for greenhouses - I think this is the same manufacturer as some of the Home Depot greenhouses, and buying directly from them will reduce your cost.

Bought one for my mother for xmas [so she hasn't tried it out yet here in CT]; I can't remember what size, but it was around 6.5 X 7 X 8 or so, and I think it was only $175.

Originally posted by Spoon Spoon wrote:

Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

How do you plan to protec your garden from the bird I'm not sure exactly what to do.  Thank you for your suggestions

I was just thinking about picking up a small portable greenhouse.  I saw one at Home Depot.

FlowerHouse
6.5 ft High x 8 ft Wide x 8 ft Deep Pop Up Greenhouse

Model FHDH500

Price: $275.00/ea

Dijoy View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dijoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:59pm
My young uncle died in 1910 by picking something up and then the Pandemic occured in 1918 though you cannot actually say the two were connected
Diane
maryk View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:29am

It's a life style choice. to be prepared or not to be prepared. i don't want to rely on our just-in-time economy. I want to be better able to handle all that comes my way. AIDS took my father from me in 1985. looking back I believe we could have stopped AIDS, but we failed. After all we are only human. Who knows what will happen next, and for that reason i believe i am the one who is responsible for making sure my family has what it needs.

To be or not to be? That is the question.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 3:59pm
Maryk - sorry about your father. It's hard to lose those we love, especially when it's not sudden.

I've taken a break in the prepping because I haven't been well, it's tax time, garden prep time and I really need to organize and examine what I've already picked up. I know there will be more things to pick up once I get everything sorted out. Other than a few items remaining on the "Must Get" list, I'm taking a break.

It seems like we're all prepping as much as practical in each situation. I think we're good for somewhere between 3 and 6 months now but haven't done the math yet. I think that once I catch up on the rest of my unfinished business, I'll be ready to tackle it again.

I hope slowdown of news means there isn't much new to tell.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Spoon Spoon wrote:

Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

How do you plan to protec your garden from the bird I'm not sure exactly what to do.  Thank you for your suggestions

I was just thinking about picking up a small portable greenhouse.  I saw one at Home Depot.

FlowerHouse
6.5 ft High x 8 ft Wide x 8 ft Deep Pop Up Greenhouse

Model FHDH500

Price: $275.00/ea

It is very easy to build an inexpensive greenhouse.  Using basic pvc piping, or just plain lumber if you aren't looking to keep it long term you build the frame.  You can purchase heavy duty plastic for the roof - although depending on where you live you may have to cover that with some sort of UV filtering mesh.  The same goes for the walls.  Lowes sells a plastic zippered entry for hardly anything that you can use for just about anything... including greenhouse entries.

We're building a large one for the backyard and that's the cheapest way I've found to do it.  We're actually going to move the dog pen inside it so they can run around and do their business and I can use part of it as my garden.  Two problems solved with one structure!
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic