Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Feds prep to treat ONE-FOURTH of all Americans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feds prep to treat ONE-FOURTH of all Americans
    Posted: March 23 2006 at 3:06pm

My goodness!

Sorry if y'all already know about this, but I just posted an article in LATEST NEWS, and take a looksee at this amazing quote:

"Our ultimate goal is to stockpile sufficient quantities of antiviral drugs to treat 25% of the U.S. population," Secretary Leavitt said.

They are stockpiling enough drugs to treat ONE-FOURTH of all Americans???????????

Yikes!

=============================================
THE FULL ARTICLE IS POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

H5N1 Avian Flu Forum: U.S. Has 26 Million Avian Flu Antiviral Treatments

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4375

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 3:17pm
Yep, to be ready around the year 2012.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 6:18pm
Hey!  It's a start.Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 6:21pm
That's a best case scenario! right now there is enough for less than 2% at minimum dosage, but the WHO now thinks in order for Tamiflu to actually work you need 40 pills within 12-24 hours of first symptoms! Anybody counting on antivirals or vaccines will most likely loose their life. The key will be to avoid infection, which means rigorous PPE and disinfection.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 6:22pm

Originally posted by SophiaZoe SophiaZoe wrote:

Yep, to be ready around the year 2012.

rofl!!

Now, ya dont want Them to rush into anything, now, do ya?
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 6:25pm
Avoidance will only work for so long.  We best hope it gets less deadly.  There really is not much anyone can do.
Ironstone
my 2¢ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my 2¢ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:27pm
The goverment is stocking enough ANTI_VIRALs for 25% of the population...

Which is just very prudent on their part...

Please bear in mind the that this is medicine (like TAMIFLU), which is given to people  WHO HAVE THE FLU...

The part that I think that is getting missed is ...this is for folks who HAVE the flu...

The US governament will get a VACINE for EVERYBODY when they can... which looks like that'll be 6 months after the FIRST wave hits. It might take up to a year after production is "finished" to innoculate everyone... That's why they are saying that this might be a 18 month "blizzard"

You can't make a vacine for something that doesn't exist today... right now there is 2 distinctly lnown clades (strains) of H5N1... but those are from samples that were taken back in 2004-2005...

When.../...IF.... H5N1 goes H2H then that "current" strain will be analyzed and then a vacine will be produced... can't do it any sooner or your wasting your money....

Please spread this (to everyone who complains about the 25% stockpiling rate)....

In 1918  only 20% of the popukation CAUGHT the flu... the other 80% did not... So if our government is stockpiling for 25% of the population , who GET/HAVE THE FLU... there are taking this very seriously and are actually trying to prepare for a POSSIBLE pandemic that MIGHT infect the same (or slightly more) number of people...

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:36pm
25% is the recommendation for the WHO.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by my 2¢ my 2¢ wrote:

When.../...IF.... H5N1 goes H2H then that "current" strain will be analyzed and then a vacine will be produced... can't do it any sooner or your wasting your money....
It already went H2H...

http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4459&PID=38416#38416
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
my 2¢ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my 2¢ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:58pm

OK, I will correct myself...

When...IF... H5N1 becomes a (Sufficient) SUSTAINED Human to Human then......
Hermes View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:59pm
silver bullets............i repeat this is the moon............calling earth.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic