Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Food Storage Preferences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food Storage Preferences
    Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:33am

How do you store your bulk food items such as rice, beans, flour, etc?

We are looking at three possible options but it's all going to come down to money. I don't know if I want to spend loads of money on ways to store food that should be money spent on food. Keep in mind that we prep on a budget and buy what we can, when we can. Whichever option we choose, we still have to purchase buckets and lids or tote boxes of some sort to store the bags in.

Option One: Buy a vacuum sealer and the attachments along with the bags that are needed. I've seen these priced from $75 and up.

Option Two: Buy mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Not sure on the cost of these but I do know that the food will last longer in them.

Option Three: Use ziplock bags and try to get as much air out of the bags as I can on my own. Obviously the cheaper route and I already have a bunch of these.

Since money is a major object here and I've got a gut feeling that we don't have that long to prep for this thing, which way should I go?
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:24pm
I picked up a lower priced foodsaver vacuum sealer on Ebay, but noticed that WalMart had some reasonably priced when I was there. Think they were about $40.
I picked up one of the compact ones too, that is only used for jars and canisters, along with regular and wide mouth jar attachments.
Then I found wide mouth half gallon canning jars and have stored much of my dry goods in those using the vacuum sealer jar attachment. I put some dried beans, lentils and other things in vacuum sealed bags.
The vacuum sealer came with 50 bags that are not foodsaver brand and don't really vacuum seal as well. They are heavier though so I used those to seal many bags of dry pet food. Since our dog is small, I was concerned about possible insect infestion storing a large amount of bulk dry food for an extended period.

I already had a lot of wide mouth quart jars so I've used some of those to vacuum seal dry goods too.   Things stored in jars are safe from rodents. Using jars is nice because if you're careful lifting the lid, you can keep using it to reseal the jar with the vacuum sealer. Once the lid is damaged, you just replace the inexpensive lid. I wasn't crazy about endlessly buying the bags, but really like using glass canning jars. I know that I will continue to use the jar vacuum sealing into the future.

If you have access to canning jars, I'd get a cheaper model vacuum sealer with jar attachment and go that route. Many times friends or relaives have canning jars stored in their basement or attic that they'd love to get rid of.

I did pick up some oxygen absorbers to use if I need them.
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 12:31pm

I'd try oxy absorbers in the freezer grade ziploc bags.  Mylar is better, but...

Another option is to look and see if there is a mormon cannery in your area.  They have all the equipment there to pack and will often let you use their equipment for only the cost of what is used.   You would need to call and schedule an appointment.   If you don't have luck with the people at the cannery, call a local mormon church and see if you can go during a time they have scheduled.  They also have Mylar bags and oxy absorbers there so also may be willing to sell them to you at cost, although usually you have to volunteer at the cannery for a couple of hours to be eligible to buy anything.

Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:52pm
I'm going to plan on getting a vacuum sealer in the next week or two. I've been putting things in ziplock bags so I will just use those first and then start using what I've sealed with the vacuum sealer. If I have time and the money, I might also order some oxygen absorbers and mylar bags.

Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
TJ108 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJ108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:02pm
I am using my vacuum sealer for many products but I am trying something new to store other food like bags of flour. I picked up a set of space bags at Costco, the kind they advertise on tv for storing clothes, blankets, winter clothes, etc. I can place serveral bags of flour and other dry goods and then suck the air out with my household vacuum. So far it is working great! Also ziploc is now selling giant ziploc bags which have come in handy for other things.

Space  Bags
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:06pm
TJ..an old saying don,t place all your eggs in one basket;

did you freeze all of the big bags fo flour first...did you make sure there was no wetness in the folds when you brought them out of the freezer..vacuum seal mosture and bye bye flour....and also should a rodent get into your baggies you have to thow all of it out

sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:57pm

I've stored my grains, dehydrated foods, bulk spices and frozen foods  using the Tilia Food Sealer - works great for most items - I had some problems with wheat kernels puncturing the bags - resolved that by lining the bag with papertowels before adding the kernels.

I did find that WalMart sells their brand in rolls for a cheaper price - they're just closer to me than SamsClub, who sells them as well.  It's also nice to store enough for a family serving in the bag, and not have to constantly open and reseal the bags.

As for resealing - your food saver can also reseal bags of chips, cereals, crackers, and the likes with bags. It works with frozen foods plastic bags as well.  But, I've found that it's hard to seal ziploc baggies (too thin) or mylar (needs a heavy-duty heat setting).

As for flour, I'm combining fresh ground wheat with flour when I bake, so I'm still trying to find a good place to store several 25# bags in my home - here in the hot southwest!!  Usually, I just keep it in a cool dry place, place bay leaves between the bags and it seems to do okay.  During the hot dry summers, I just keep 1 bag available until the weather cools again, and the holiday cooking seasons starts. 

As for beans, I am thinking that I may be better off pressure-canning a couple of cases of pint jars of pintos, and chili beans.  This may save time on burning fuel and using extra water to feed a hungry family.  (I've posted my chili recipe in Tin Can Recipes under AZ Guest) 
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 7:06pm

"....Some food storage products have less toxic materials. Choose containers labeled with recycling codes 2, 4, or 5. They still have phthalates but not as much as other plastic containers. And there are plastic wraps that are phthalate-free. Some are Glad Cling Wrap, Saran Cling Plus and Best Yet Clear Plastic Wrap. If the product says 'stretchy' or 'flexible' it likely contains phthalates...."

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=INTERIORS-HOME-03-27-06

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=139109&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=29006

Bottled water 'may be harmful'
By REBECCA TORR

DRINKING water stored in plastic bottles could prove a serious health hazard, say experts in Bahrain and abroad.

It is a particular concern in Bahrain, where most people drink bottled water and warrants further research, says expert Dr Ameera Al Haddad.

She was responding to findings in research carried out by Professor William Shotyk, from Heidelberg University, Germany, which found traces of a potentially lethal chemical in tests on water stored in plastic bottles.

The chemical, known as antimony, is used in the making of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles.
In small quantities it can cause depression and nausea but greater consumption can lead to vomiting and even death.

Quantities found in water stored in plastic bottles were said to be well within international safety guidelines, but experts say it could still make people ill.

Levels were so low that experts say it is not of immediate concern, but say research is needed into potential long-term dangers, such as cancer.

Prof Shotyk and co-workers tested ground water and 15 brands of bottled water from Canada.

They also tested 48 bottled water brands from across Europe.

The team found that groundwater contained two parts per trillion of antimony, but levels in bottled waters were hundreds of times more.
When Prof Shotyk compared three German brands of water stored in glass and plastic bottles, he found water stored in PET bottles contained up to 30 times more antimony.

His study also revealed that antimony levels increased the longer water was stored in PET bottles.

From the results the team was able to conclude that the bottles were contaminating the water through 'leaching' - a process that happens when liquid absorbs chemicals from the plastic.

"I don't think it is something to worry about, the amount they found in the study is much lower than the guidelines recommended," said Dr Al Haddad, Bahrain University chemistry department head and assistant professor.

"The average concentration of antimony in European waters bottled in PET was found to be about 350 nano-grams per litre or parts per trillion.

"The Maximum Contaminant Level Goals (MCLG) set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), US, is six micro-grams per litre, or parts per billion.

"The levels found in bottled water are below MCLG levels."

However, she said that just because the antimony levels were below the recommended guidelines did not mean it was not harmful.

Small amounts of the chemical might cause diarrhoea and nausea and long exposure to it was carcinogenic, said Dr Haddad, who is also an adviser to the Arab Healthy Water Association - an affiliate of the US-based Healthy Water Association.

She said many questions were still left unanswered and that she would be conducting some research into the chemical.

"Is antimony accumulative in the body? This is a question I am still researching," explained "Can our body get rid of it? If our system releases it, it's okay, but if not it could be dangerous.

"For me I don't think it is something to worry about, but for a scientific purpose we need to look at it."

Dr Haddad also called for research into the affect of temperature, storage and pH (potential of hydrogen) on antimony leaching from PET bottles.

However, she said the study could not be conducted in Bahrain because the sensitive equipment needed to test for small traces of antimony were not available.

Despite this, she said she would conduct her own research and highlight the issue to students and teachers by writing an article in the university's news publication.

Dr Al Haddad said the study was especially important to Bahrain and the region considering that the majority of people consumed water stored in plastic bottles.

According to bottled water companies, tens of thousands of gallons of water stored in plastic bottles is consumed in Bahrain everyday.

For example, one bottled water supplier says it distributes around 25,000 gallons of water to Bahrain consumers everyday and another says it supplies approximately 14,000 gallons daily.

"We don't want to scare people because in Bahrain we don't have a choice we have to drink bottled water - tap water is worse," explained Dr Al Haddad.

"My advice is try to go for water stored in glasses, don't store food in PET containers because you have oil in food and oil can dissolve certain material in PET, not just antimony.

"Don't store juices in PET bottles because juices are acidic.

"Even cling film is very dangerous because it's made of plasticides, which are carcinogenic and they dissolve fat in the food and acidic food makes it worse. "Use a glass bowl, change all bottles to glass and try to take precautions where you can."

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=139109&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=29006
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic