Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Stockpiling Food/Water/etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How much of a stockpile should you have?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [0.77%]
4 [3.08%]
4 [3.08%]
38 [29.23%]
45 [34.62%]
7 [5.38%]
19 [14.62%]
12 [9.23%]

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stockpiling Food/Water/etc
    Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:39am
    Having been in the flu discussion forum world for over a year now, I find time and time again that there is a serious misconception about stockpiling.
I see in the thread at
http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4511
that a few people think that 2 or 3 months stockplies may do.
It certainly will not. Nowhere near.

If the BF goes H2H airborne aka pandemic then a stockplie will have to be possibly of a year. We should all plan for a worst case scenario.
we are told that once it does go efficient H2H, it will take AT LEAST 6 months to develop a vaccine, then it has to be mass manufactured and delivered to a world that is torn apart New Orleans style. That has got to be a minimum of 6 to 9 months supply, more sensibly a year, possibly more.

Having a 3 months supply is living on a prayer. For 3 months to be enough, there would have to be a vaccine at your door within that time and we are told by the PTB that is simply not going to be possible.

Also very, very important is to only stockpile gooda that do not rely on utilities in their storing and cooking.
In a worst case scenario, there will be nobody showing up for work at the power companies so things like your cooker and refridgerator won't be working.

A cooking stove is a must and by defintion a 6 to 12 month stockpile of fuel (coal/wood)to power it.
Who's going to have any when you run out? or will you risk the flu by going into the nearest wood with an axe?

And don't forget toothpaste and toilet rolls!

:)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:02am
toilet rolls!...why the toilet rolls....I have started collecting mine...

and right now I am not sure how many months I have worth...just know I have lots of pasta, flour,barley and rice...canned goods and seeds for planting..indoors if I have too..
Fla_Medic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fla_Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:25am
Kev0-

In an ideal world, we'd all have a year's worth in our pantry. But in an ideal world, I'd look like George Clooney, too.  Fraid that's not gonna happen.

While the female members of this forum are undoubtedly grieving over that shocking revelation, let's just say that any level of prepping is better than none.  Right now, we don't know if a pandemic will occur, and if it does, to what level it will rise.

In a worst case scenario, more is better than less. Granted.  But let's be real. Not everyone can afford, or find a place to store, a years worth of food.  And in a worst case scenario, a year's worth might be too little.

If you've got a weeks worth stored up,  then work to increase that to a month. When you get there, then try for two months.  After that, you might go for 4 months. Maybe you reach a year, maybe you don't.  Do what you can.  But I don't accept the idea that having less than the optimum is suicidal.

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:54am
 hi to all, i guess on food, some items may be a month, been spending more on seeds, peat pots, onions,garlic bulbs, asparagus roots   alittle money has to go a long way, trying to cover the bases,a  start in each direction, tools , energy,food,garden, my sister and i brought the food saver and extra bags ,alone that was a 150 $ PURCHASE THIS WEEK, plus we got the last 2 pressure cooking pots at walmarts for 15$ each" my thanks to who ever posted using  and where to buy on sale the pressure cooker", plus other  things,  ,well you ge the picture good luck to all  or and by the way, all paid for in cash good luck roxy
sealbay View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:03am
I agree Fla Medic.  I currently have a (short) month  but am increasing it.  COnsidering I only started last Monday, I am doing pretty well.   I write date of purchase and ex date on each food item (if known).

The antibacterial and aloe /E baby wipes are multiplying like rabbits.  (only get the kind which is flat-not round dispenser as those dry out too quickly.  Plus flat dispensers are refillable)  Travel size toiletries are cheap, don't take up huge amounts of space although you have to have alot of them and could be good for trading.

Rechargeable batteries and battery charger is on my list .

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:03am
   Hi, I do completely agree with you and yes any level of prepping is better than none, however prepping for too short a time just delays the inevitable.
For me personally and having read all the Nabarro and Osterholm stuff, it is obvious that 6 months is an absolute bear minimum and the main reason for this is very simple, if we are going to have to self quarantine until a vaccine is created/ produced and it takes 6 months to produce one (a minimum we are told _with_ perfect conditions), what good does it do to only have 3 months preps?
Hopefully 1 year and 2 years is overkill but anything less than 6 months is rather foolhardy,
if we wish to survive.
If someone suddenly announces that a vaccine can be produced within 1 month then the bear minimum of preps would then only need to be one month.

I honestly think that at present, we should all add a few extra bits with each weekly shop, say £10 ($15) worth and _if_ we get a heads up on efficient H2H, we then quickly get to the supermarket and spend as much as your credit card will allow as money really isn't going to be an issue when the economy has crashed and a world population self quarantining will certianly do that !!

Dr Osterholm:
{But Osterholm believes H5N1 is “a 1918-like virus.” Given the way it continues to evolve, to change genetically, it may one day develop the capacity to jump from human to human. Then, Osterholm says, we’ll be updating the death toll not monthly, as we are now in Asia, but by the minute.

“I believe an influenza pandemic will be like a 12- to 18-month global blizzard that will ultimately change the world as we know it today,” Osterholm testified before Congress in December}

Thats' 12 to 18 months!    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:12am
Here is an excellent artical on the 1918 flu pandemic and steps that were takin...
merrittjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:16am
FlaMedic.... no one would doubt that more is better... but I think KevO makes a very valid point.  The timeframe I think about is the time to develop and distribute a vaccine.... right now that seems to me to be in the 8 - 10 month range.  If a tissue based technique is developed that would cut the time to produce a vaccine to say a month... then I'll be eating alot of rice and beans over the next year.  But that development seems to still be a ways off.  However.... KevO, should the disease spread like wildfire through the general population over say a period of two months.... then even if you had to "venture forth" after only three months the "herd immunity" developed by the community would provide a certain level of protection.....  So, more is better even if it doesn't reach the vaccine development timeline. JMO, John.
willtolive
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:24am
Originally posted by muskrat muskrat wrote:

Here is an excellent artical on the 1918 flu pandemic and steps that were takin...

Thanks for that.
50 million died worldwide.

That's 50 million with no such thing as air tarvel
50 million with a 2.5% mortality rate.

We have air travel and a present H5N1 mortality rate of 52% and a 6 to 9 month wait for a vaccine and anti - virals that may or may not be much good.

I'm upping my preps to a year!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:28am
I have posted the fullversion of that URL in the Canada post..everyone should read that it is excellent...
Fla_Medic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fla_Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:00am
Kev0 and MerritJohn,

I'm certainly not opposed to stocking for a year.  But I do fear that many people, when they hear that doing anything less is futile, will simply not prepare at all.  I'd rather encourage people to do what is possible, than to give them a task they may well never attempt. 

But by all means, if you can do it, stockpile for a year. Embarrassed

As far as a vaccine being available in a year, that is pretty optimistic. If you are expecting a year's supply to carry you thru until a vaccine is available, you are likely to be dissappointed.

Here's why:

While a suitable vaccine might be developed in six months, we don't have the production capability today to make anywhere near enough to innoculate the world. Most of the vaccine manufacturers are overseas, and we will have to compete in a global marketplace for any vaccine stockpiles. 

Yearly production capabilities worldwide for vaccines currently don't produce enough vaccines to innoculate 10% of the world.

Complicating matters, consider the following:

1.  The virus is mutating rapidly.  If it goes pandemic, this will likely increase the rate of mutation.  A vaccine produced and manufactured in June will likely be largely ineffective by December.  The two strains of the vaccine currently under produciton are from Vietnam and Indonesia, and neither are expected to confer much immunity.

2.   The WHO and CDC now recognize two different clades of the virus, and others will no doubt be verified.  This greatly decreases the odds that any one vaccine will work. A multi-valent vaccine might work. But once again, the mutations will likely render that point moot.

3.    While cellular reproduction methods are being tested, they are experimental, and their safety is not yet assured. 

But hey, let's say we develop a miracle vaccine, and somehow manage to produce it in quantity.  That's just the beginning.

In 1976, I was part of the Swine Flu innoculation program, having been attached to the Health Department.  Innoculating the country was seen as a national priority, and innoculation centers were set up all across the country. Shopping malls, schools, hospital parking lots, community centers . . .you name it.

We learned a lot about mass innoculations from this experience. And remember, all of this was done before a pandemic had occured. People were worried, but not panicked.  We had our full infrastructure available. Imagine trying to do this if trucks are not rolling, gas is in short supply, and chaos abounds.

First, everybody showed up the first day for an innoculation!  The lines stretched for blocks, and the wait in line was for hours.  Many people left after 3 or 4 hours in line, and vowed to return the next day. 

This pattern lasted for about a week.  At the end of the day, there were people who were turned away. Sometimes we ran out of vaccine. One day, our pneumatic injection gun died.  We discovered there was no good way to coordinate having people show up in manageable numbers.

After a week, many people gave up trying.  Sure, some drifted in to get their shots, but many simply decided it wasn't worth the hassle. 

Then the first reports of `side effects' made the news.  3 people in Philadelphia dropping dead after getting their shots (probably a coincidence, btw).  Stories of paralysis (Guillian-Berre Syndrome) made the papers, and suddenly, we couldn't give away the shots.  In 8 weeks of concerted effort, we innoculated 20% of the country.  About 40 million people.  Then the program was halted because of the side effects of the vaccine.

Now, try doing this in a pandemic.  Everybody is hunkered down. The infrastructure has erroded.  And to innoculate the public, people are going to have to come out and stand in line for hours, possibly risking exposure.

How civil and cooperative do you think the crowds, lining up for their shot, are likely to be?  Would you really risk it? 

Most vaccines require 2 weeks to achieve immunity. Some of the vaccines under discussion will require 2 shots, given a month apart.  But whether we're talking 2 weeks, or 4, the recipiant is unprotected. 

The logistics of dispensing a vaccine, when no one was sick, or risked infection by standing in line, were enormous.  Trying to do so in the midst of a pandemic, well let's be kind, and say it would be even more problematic.

I would love to be proven wrong on this. Really.  But, IMHO,  unless you're in the government, or are considered an essential worker, the odds that you will receive a vaccine before the pandemic has run its course are slim.

Now, if you're thinking you can wait out a pandemic until it has mutated into a milder strain, then you may have a point.  That, while not a certainty, is possible. But for now, I regard talk of a vaccine, available to the masses, as Happy Talk. Designed to appease the populace.

Most people, I suspect, will find at some point they will simply have to confront this virus.  Find out if they have immunity (70% did in 1918), or see if they can survive it. 

Being prepped gives you a lot of options. You can defer exposure for as long as possible.  And you can avoid the potentially dangerous activities of going out and foraging for food.

Like I say, I'd like to be wrong on this. Maybe we get lucky. But logistically, I expect a vaccine is a long way off.

oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:51am
Thanks to reading here each day, I've realized that my provisions to last 3 months might not be enough. So I've been adding more rice, beans, bouillon and pasta to my provisions along with canned meat products on sale.

Hopefully the garden and fruit trees will help if we run on canned fruit and veggies.

Even if we run out of canned meat and fish, we'll at least have beans and rice to last longer. So my new goal is to feel we're ok for at least 6 months.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:58am
    Great mail Fla Medic.
I'm not sure that Iaccept something is better than nothing because if that something isn't going to do it then maybe nothing may actually be better than something!!
If someone has had the mind to consider things and stock up for 3 months, then they're already 'in' the right mind. Once these same people study the facts, they will realise that 6 months is the bare minimum and may aim for that before going for a 12 months plus.

Only getting 3 months supplies is like being 10 miles away from dropped nuke. You don't die straight away but a month or two later. You may as well have been at ground zero(no supplies) or a 1000 miles away (1 year plus supplies)

I agree with your vaccine time estimate. If a WCS occurs then we may need at least a years supply and in that time need to read and learn as much about self sufficiency and growing our own food as is possible.
If and I do say if on this one, H2H transmission is as virulent as some predict, it would be very unlikely that society, particularly western society, ever returns to what it was before/is now and we will all need some level of 'survival' skills which means much more than knowing how to handle a handgun.

A lot of choices ahead.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Fla_Medic Fla_Medic wrote:

Most people, I suspect, will find at some point they will simply have to confront this virus. Find out if they have immunity (70% did in 1918), or see if they can survive it. Being prepped gives you a lot of options. You can defer exposure for as long as possible. And you can avoid the potentially dangerous activities of going out and foraging for food.Like I say, I'd like to be wrong on this. Maybe we get lucky. But logistically, I expect a vaccine is a long way off.

Yes, sadly I think the same. We will have to open the door at some point..........

Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:35am
About the vaccine, are we assuming that the labs will have power for 6-12 months and that none of the limited number of people who would make the vaccine will get sick or choose not to go to work? Are they going to quarantine the lab workers at the lab for the several waves and mutations of the virus..a year or more? How will they get samples of the new mutations of the virus? Will they have the necessary supplies to do the work? Why would a lab be any different than any other business?
Where are they going to find replacement workers? Where will they find voluteers to test the vaccine on?
Would you take a vaccine produced under those less-than- optimal conditions?
This is not a pretty picture.
Fla_Medic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fla_Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:07am
You're right Tea4Two, and I'd have mentioned those scenarios.

But I was depressing myself enough as it was. Unhappy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Tea4Two Tea4Two wrote:

About the vaccine, are we assuming that the labs will have power for 6-12 months and that none of the limited number of people who would make the vaccine will get sick or choose not to go to work? Are they going to quarantine the lab workers at the lab for the several waves and mutations of the virus..a year or more? How will they get samples of the new mutations of the virus? Will they have the necessary supplies to do the work? Why would a lab be any different than any other business?
Where are they going to find replacement workers? Where will they find voluteers to test the vaccine on?
Would you take a vaccine produced under those less-than- optimal conditions?
This is not a pretty picture.

Presactly

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:42am
I thought that the virus would possibly mutate down to a less lethal strain after the first 6 months or so b/c it doesn't really want to run out of hosts. So that way the longer you can put off exposure, the "milder" form of the flu you would be dealing with. Maybe??  One can only hope b/c in the WCS sug. above prepping for and existing in a world that has been raped by this bug just doesn't seem worthwhile. I have alot of preps and will continue to acquire more and more everyday b/c it's just not my nature to give up without a fight. Grew up watching John Wayne and classic war movies with my dad and I guess it just rubs off on you. I can't think of living in a world full of C.H.U.D.S but since we don't know what the future brings I will cont. to prep as much as possible, I think 2-5 years will be my new goal! There wont be a whole heck of a variety though!!!LOL  Beans 'n rice & beans 'n rice & beans 'n rice. Will definitely need more pool shock too!!!  Prep on!! :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:43am
It is depressing, when we have to face the illusions we have about America and the American Dream...
I think I'll go outside for a walk and enjoy it while I can...and then come back and dehydrate some more beans.
Have to keep some balance, "I'm alright, right now."    
Tallahassee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tallahassee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:14pm
In the 1918 pandemic, the flu went around the world in waves.  The black death did the same thing in Europe in the 14th century.  But...in individual communities it moved in and out in a matter of weeks.  The current speed of travel will no doubt have the H5N1 moving fast from community to community, but if the past is any guide, each community willl pass the crisis stage in a matter of weeks.

Some people are preparing for a global collapse of civilization.  I'm more optimistic than that.  I'm preparing to be at home by myself for about 6 weeks.  After that, if society has collapsed, as a 60 year old diabetic with high blood pressure, I'll probably be winnowed out early.  I am NOT going to shoot anyone to protect my canned tuna. 

In 1918 one problem was people didn't have access to information, especially in cities they had no idea what to do.  Civil society did almost collapse in Philadelphia, and the death toll was very high there.  That was due to some incredibly stupid actions on the part of the local government.   In other places, like Gunnison Colorado, quick thinking local officials quarantined themselves and got off scott free.  

And yes, mail carriers did spread the disease.  Gunnison didn't even let the mail trucks in, train passengers were not allowed to disembark, etc. 

The information super-highway has given the populace a much better chance of being ready than ever before, all the concerns about not being ready enough notwithstanding.  This site is just one example. 

I see lots of lists about what specific foods to store.  I plan to store what I eat, and eat what I store.  That is, always have a rotating stock of food that will last about six weeks.  If you google survivalists, you'll see lots of stuff, companies that sell food bars with 10 year shelf lives, others that sell freeze dried stuff in packages meant to last a year. 

As a Floridian I'm not too worried about getting cold.  The principle needs for the unprepared after hurricanes have been food, water and ICE.  Some better prepared people have a small window air conditioner that their generator can run, keep one room a little cooler, so they will be able to sleep at night.  Some of these items are the same things I need for hurricanes.  Katrina taught us a lot about how long we might need to hold out. 

You'll need to decide for yourselves if you think you can wait it out where you live, or you will need to flee.  Your choice will help determine what you need to have. 

How much of your current budget is going to build up a survival kit you hope you'll never need?  Some of the items on the list obviously assume you'll be on your own for months, and maybe fighting off your neighbors. 

In 1918 the first wave of flu was noticably worse than usual, but not as bad as the second wave which started in the fall.  Most of the people who died in the worst of it died between August and December 1918.  A third wave went around again in 1919, but had evolved to a milder strain again. 

In 1918 many many people died of secondary infections rather than the flu itself, and we have antibiotics now.  I'll have a perscription for a broad spectrum antibiotic in my survival kit.   

There are a lot of good ideas on this site.  A lot of good lists that would be useful in any kind of disaster.  And all hazards preparation is the best way to go.  For those of you with the strong bodies and children to protect, planning long term self sufficiency might make sense.  Most of us softened by civilization will have to hope that we can get through it without that.  I couldn't build a cabin in the woods anyway. 

Keep your thinkers on!

Don't be afraid, be prepared
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:36pm
I'm prepping for 6 months. I started prepping for 90 days but that soon was increased the more I learn.
Pandemics Happen!
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:34pm
Tallahassee - I really enjoyed your post. I'm of a similar mind when it comes to defense.

While I don't plan to open a canteen for the area, I would share small amounts of what we have to keep someone else from suffering or starving. I'm not going to go out looking for people in need, but an individual or a family came to my door needing food, I would probably give them some. I wouldn't let them in or allow them to steal all of our supplies, but I would provide what I could to help them along.

My biggest fear is the element of society that has the thug mentality and sees disasters as an excuse to commit crimes without much fear of paying the consequences for their actions. If someone like that came through my door, I hope I'm prepared to stop them.

We've had way too many incidents in Tulsa recently without a pandemic or disaster. They literally kick doors down and rob the families inside. Those who have resisted have been beaten or shot. If someone forced their way into my home, I wouldn't wait to see if they planned to let me live.

If I have time, I hope to acquire a legal handgun and take some lessons. I'm 54 and have never fired a gun in my life. I hope I never need to, but if I decide to be armed, I want to secure that I could hit what I aim at.

I hope none of us ever needs to harm someone else but seeing how people behaved during the Katrina disaster has reminded me that not all people have the same values I grew up with.   
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:22pm
I think the thug thing is what I fear the most,  I have a shotgun and know how to use it. I actually have hidden my preps all over my house in nutritionally balanced caches(and some toys for my kids)  That way, if someone does get in, they will think all I have is in my pantry.  Am I paranoid? I don't know but I do know it makes me feel better to have things hidden. Gigi
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:26pm
Excellent point on the year supply. Problem with many (myself included) is money. Right now we have three months supply, I plan on adding to this as time goes by.

But remember, every pandemic is the past has "waves" of infection with periods of resprite. There are many worst case senarios of death and destruction that one can prep for, but limited resources dictates ones responce.
It's always the lowest common denominator.
maskman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:38pm
all you really need to survive is food and water

for water, get a purification/filtration system, and have access to fresh running water.  much more sound long-term strategy than stockpiling botled water, and much cheaper in the long run as well.  $100 - $200 cost, and if you have the $$, get extra filters!

food - beans and rice, rice and beans; beans and rice, rice and beans.  not very exciting, but it will keep you alive.  spend all the rest of the money that you have on beans and rice.  add a few spices or bullion cubes if you can afford it.

total cost involved $500 or less
hope and pray for the best; prepare responsibly for the worst
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:05pm
It seems clear to me there is no point where we can realistically say "enough". Nobody knows anything, and that is almost the hardest for me to take. If we had some kind of definitive answer for even "if" it's going to happen, so many things would change.
Anyway, I'm past the three month mark now and have a critical storage problem. On the other hand, most of our food preps right now are really our regular food, which takes up a lot more space. Maybe I will just have to buy a lot more beans and rice. I really don't know what to do, every knook and cranny is full, under the bed, you name it. AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 4:32pm
Shoulda bought stock in Uncle Ben's or Carolina brand. LOL LOL
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Jax Max View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jax Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 6:34pm
Tallahassee-

Great post. I just finished re-reading "The Great Infleunza" by John Barry too.
Jax Max View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jax Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 6:38pm
One thought about a years supply of food.

You may rest assured that if societal collapse lasts a year, that after 4 or 5 months you will figure out how to grow food. Canned and processed food creates an insatiable hunger for fresh vegetables and fruit.

A more realistic alternative would be enough food to last through the first two planned crops.
Jax Max View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jax Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 6:42pm
oknut-

A  thoughtful post.

Get a shotgun, they are easy to aim and  shoot.

We need people like you to  survive.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Jax Max Jax Max wrote:

One thought about a years supply of food.

You may rest assured that if societal collapse lasts a year, that after 4 or 5 months you will figure out how to grow food. .

yeah but food tends to take a bit longer to grow to be substantial. Best to figure it out now and start planting.
March seeds would ready from July to September. No good planting them much later than May really.

oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:26am
Thanks Jax Max -
My thoughts on gardening are simple. Our small backyard garden isn't likely to produce enough for preserving, but the fresh veggies for several months will help stretch our preps and provide fresh, healthy produce.
Planting many types of root crops late in the summer can also provide a store of ready to use underground veggies through part of the winter.

If I could only keep the squirels from our fruit and nut trees, we'd have plenty. Like a fool, I planted dwarf and semi-dwarf trees so they'd be easier for us to pick and maintain. The downside is that the fruiting branches are too low to use collars that might prevent the squirrels from getting to the fruit. Our pecan tree was here when we moved in and has a low crotch. The rotten little creatures strip everything before it's ready to be picked.

Got any good squirrel recipes? Could they be used for jerky?
only kidding
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:43am
Originally posted by oknut oknut wrote:

Thanks Jax Max -
My thoughts on gardening are simple. Our small backyard garden isn't likely to produce enough for preserving, but the fresh veggies for several months will help stretch our preps and provide fresh, healthy produce.
If I could only keep the squirels from our fruit and nut trees, we'd have plenty.

and the neighbours from the veg plot!

oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:06am
Good point KevO!
Our immediate neighbors wouldn't be a problem. People on one side have been friends for longer than we've been neighbors and people on the other side are in their 80s, but anyone entering the neighborhood seeking food might not be able to resist hopping the fence to steal food.

Our yards aren't visible from the back thanks to a freeway sound wall, but an observant wanderer might spot my little veggie patch.
Maybe they'll just hunt the squirrels.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:31am
KevO, that was my thought too as people are talking about planting an outdoor garden for food.  Unless they are in a secluded rural area, people are going to see this garden.  If they are hungry, there will be nothing left of these gardens to eat. 
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 1:58pm
Many of us always plant a garden and some folks might be considering their first garden. I tuck things into 3 out of 5 raised beds that are 4 x 8 each. The other 2 are used for growing asparagus, garlic and perennial onions. I have about 16 earthboxes (mostly homemade) that I use for growing tomatoes and peppers. They pretty much surround the raised bed area. I make use of the small space by growing pole beans instead of bush beans and train cucumber vines up stacked tomato cages. My herbs are in another, smaller raised bed and here and there among flowers around the house perimeter.

My garden area is near the back of our deep lot and not noticable unless someone is looking into the back yard from the fenced area on either side of the house.

For many of us, gardening is a pleasant escape and not entirely about the harvest.
My next door neighbor gardens entirely in earthboxes, sheltered under a shadecloth structure. Her garden isn't visible at all unless you are in her back yard. They have privacy fencing where we have chain link.

Maybe I can do a better job of growing things this year and harvest enough tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and squash to share with my elderly neighbors who no longer garden.

If someone hops the fence and steals some veggies, the plants will produce more unless they are evil enough to destroy the plants. I'll plant anyway because the act of growing things is good for me.

Perhaps some people who never thought about gardening will discover a new hobby that brings them pleasure and food.

I will plant a garden because I always do. There aren't enough home gardens anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic