Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Calculating preps for your family...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worriedinMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 1:49pm
Are you saying there is a conversion kit to allow a gas generator to run on propane? I would love info on that if anyone has it. I am worried about gas storage, and would love to use the two large propane tanks we have if possible instead.

BTW ~ thanks to all for the great info and tips!
ghostrider View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 2:04pm

worriedinMD,  go to www.generatorsales.com then look under triple-fuel.  I bought the generator from them with the kit installed.  They are buying these kits from some where; they might sell one.  BTW it works real well.

ghostrider
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 2:15pm
worriedinMD,  I had to take a little walk.  checked the name plate of the conversion kit, the mfg = Beam Garretson.  After I received the generator I had to go to the propane dealer and get a 12' hose and a two-stage regulator like you would find on a propane burner for deep frying.

ghostrider
worriedinMD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worriedinMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 7:38pm
Thanks so much! I looked up Beam Garrettson and found a website that has conversion kits - here is the site - http://www.propanecarbs.com/small_engines.html

I had to send them some info to get pricing and details. I will post anything I find out here for others who may want to convert a generator.

The reason I am looking to convert is because of gas storage. My parents have 2 huge propane tanks outside under their deck that they use to heat their pool (and run a propane fireplace in their basement). I think this would be a great alternative to trying to store 200 gallons of gas on their property.

Am I thinking straight? Anyone have experience with conversions or can you see any down side (holes) in my thinking?

Thanks in advance ~ you all have been great and have helped so much!
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:30pm
worriedinMD,
Glad to be of some help to anyone; I am a novice here.  When talking to the local propane dealer, he said storing propane is much safer than gas and it really does not go bad.  For example I have a grill tank that has propane from 1997 (camping days) and it still works just fine ( the tank cannot be re-filled because of the value type regulations ).  Keep in mind that these conversions allow to run either fuel source, gas or propane.  I wanted the propane option because I can keep a 24-hour runtime supply of fuel on hand and not have gasoline to deal with.  If I was dealing with a hurricane I would go and fill up my 30 gallons of gas and keep the propane for a reserve in case I cannot find available gas.

The generator that I have burns 1 gallon of propane an hour so you may want to keep that in mind; I have an 11Kw generator (11,000 watts).  One needs to keep in mind that you don't have to run the generator 24/7, just long enough to keep the frigs cold and the hot water tank hot and the house cool; at 11Kw I can run the A/C for the house.

ghostrider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic