Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Shotgun as Rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shotgun as Rifle?
    Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:25pm
 I own a spanish mauser too, and FR8 and did a scout rifle conversion on it.People that have not shot scout rifles have no idea how cool they are. I used the solvent tank at work to take off the cosmoline. gas does work though but be careful!! I have used it but would not reccomend it. Some carbuerator solvents from a can work great too, I am not sure of their flamability ratings.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:23pm
Turbo - No doubt gasoline is a good solvent.  It is much too flamable for me to feel comfortable with using for  a hands-on job like gun cleaning. One spark from static clothing, flipping a light switch, or dropping a tool onto concrete and you have bigger things than cosmoline to worry about.

Hmm, never thought about it, but never had any problem. Also I was doing this outside over the concrete pad in my backyard. I had the gun dissassembled so it didn't look like a gun for fear the locals would get restless. I leterally poured the gas on the rifle and the cosmo fell off. It was a thing of beauty!
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:11pm
Bumpman - re: lignt on the shotgun - Lot's of people recommend these.  If you have a crowded house (or will have, come SHTF) you definitely have to be certain it's a burglar and not Uncle Ned up for a midnight pee.  I've often wondered if it wouldn't ruin your night vision, though.  Come SHTF there might be no streetlights or "city glow" and it gets pretty black without that ambient background level of light.  I suppose it's better to have the light and be able to make the decision at the time whether to use it or not.  You could also put a red filter over the light, like red cellophane with a rubber band.  If you're going to get one, see if you can find a brand that takes regular batteries that you will use for other appliances as well, because oddball batteries are expensive and may be impossible to replace durring or even after a crisis.

Turbo - No doubt gasoline is a good solvent.  It is much too flamable for me to feel comfortable with using for  a hands-on job like gun cleaning. One spark from static clothing, flipping a light switch, or dropping a tool onto concrete and you have bigger things than cosmoline to worry about.  Mineral spirits will work, or kerosene, but my favorite cleaning fluid is called Ed's Red.  It is a homemade mixture of equal parts Mineral Spirits, Kerrosene, Acetone & Dexron Transmission Fluid.  Two polar and two non-polar solvents, this does a good job on just about any kind of crud.  It will burn, but it is not explosively flamable like gasoline.  It works just as good as gas if mixed with another popular solvent, elbow grease.

You heard right - rifles with working grenade launchers are declared a destructive device in CA, hence an assault weapon, hence you can't get one with a working functional grenade launcher here.  If the grenade launcher has been removed or permanently renedered inoperative, you are in the clear.  This can be easily accomplished by soldering or welding a sleeve over the GL, making it impossible to use for launching grenades.  InterOrdnance offers this CA conversion on rifles they ship here.  You can also have the GL muzzle attachment replaced with a muzzle brake, but be careful because while muzzle breaks are legal, flash hiders are not, and it is a very fuzzy line between the two.  I prefer the welded sleeve method.

Also, it is only the Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS that has the grenade launcher.  The model prior, the M59, has NO grenade launching equipment and is perfectly legal in CA as is.

I bought four cases of Wolf 7.62 x 39 for not much more than $100 a couple of years ago.  I've seen it recently as high as $170 due to a temporary shortage.  Rumor says this will ease in April or May.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Elizabeth Elizabeth wrote:

Bumpman, I know from the California threads that you live in Ca, and I bet you saw the same advertisment we did for these.  The store we went to said the same thing, that they were discontinued.  They tried another store, and they said they had one.  We were about to just say, ok, we will pay for it here, and since we have to go through the waiting period anyway, you can have it sent here and we will come pick it up.  But then they looked in the back and came out with one that we could look at and I think it's the one we'll be picking up next week.  The model is being discontinued though, and that's probably why it was on sale.
Big 5 ad?  Winchester Defender is a nice gun.  I think you made a great choice.  I'm happy with my purchase, but it was definitely more expensive.  Cry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:40pm
Bruss, Et Al. If you want to get Cosmoline off your newly purchased rifle I've found that regular 87 octane gasoline will whip that stuff off in a matter of minutes. I recently purchased one of those nifty Spanish Mausers in .308 and the thing came with just about an inch think of cosmoline all over it! I started with a rag to get the easiest stuff off, then got another rag I soaked in gas. The gas got it off faster than the brake-free I used for my other guns that came in cosmo.

Bruss I keep hearing a nasty rumor that these SKS's were ruled as a DD in Kali.

If you're looking for a decent gun to keep for hunting and protection, but staying politically correct and not offending the entire neighborhood the SKS is a great choice. They're reasonably accurate and have just about the same amount of power as the .30-30 deer rifle. People in my home state of MN use SKS's for deer all the time. Personally I wouldn't go after one with anything less than .308, but as long as you're within 200 yards you'll do just fine for deer sized game.

As an added bonus you can buy 1000 rounds of ammo for your SKS for the very reasonable price of $100.
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:26pm
Bumpman, I know from the California threads that you live in Ca, and I bet you saw the same advertisment we did for these.  The store we went to said the same thing, that they were discontinued.  They tried another store, and they said they had one.  We were about to just say, ok, we will pay for it here, and since we have to go through the waiting period anyway, you can have it sent here and we will come pick it up.  But then they looked in the back and came out with one that we could look at and I think it's the one we'll be picking up next week.  The model is being discontinued though, and that's probably why it was on sale.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Elizabeth Elizabeth wrote:

We just got a Winchester Defender.  My husband picked it out, because he is the one that really wanted a gun, before I decided I HAD to have one for the possibility of social unrest.  He says it will serve my crazy BF purposes, and he can go shooting at the gun range like he's wanted to for years.  We used to have a 38, about 20 years ago, but I made him get rid of it because our daughter always had all the neighborhood kids in the house and I couldn't stand the thought of them getting into it.  Now she's an adult and she will learn how to properly use it also.  She and I will know exactly how to load and fire, and anyone that breaks in and poses a threat had better think twice....

I went to the gunstore a couple of days ago to buy the Winchester Defender, but the store told me that gun was discontinued.  Instead, I purchased a Remington 870 Tactical (it's camo green with a pistol grip and regular stock) 12 gauge. 

Bruss:  what do you think about adding a tactical light to this thing?  It seems to me that would make sense, especially if there really is no other lighting available at night.  
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 9:25pm
bruss01, I'm glad to hear you say that.  I trust my husband's judgement, but I know from reading the many gun posts in here that you know your weapons.  We will be shooting at the gun range every weekend until we are used to it .
corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:40pm
detpat,

Saiga 20 with one of the now available 25 round clips is one of the scariest weapons around in close quarters!  Folding stock and short barrel with a top sling, three clips and cleaning kit for very little cash.  Ugly and simple, but it does the job like few other weapons!

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:30pm
Elizabeth,

I really admire the Winchester Defender 1300.  The cadillac of pump shotguns.  The plant where they are made is closing down.  They are the only shotgun I know that is available in stainless steel.  Nickel plated, like the mossberg and remmington marine models, just isn't the same (although still quite nice).
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 6:15pm
We just got a Winchester Defender.  My husband picked it out, because he is the one that really wanted a gun, before I decided I HAD to have one for the possibility of social unrest.  He says it will serve my crazy BF purposes, and he can go shooting at the gun range like he's wanted to for years.  We used to have a 38, about 20 years ago, but I made him get rid of it because our daughter always had all the neighborhood kids in the house and I couldn't stand the thought of them getting into it.  Now she's an adult and she will learn how to properly use it also.  She and I will know exactly how to load and fire, and anyone that breaks in and poses a threat had better think twice....
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:07pm
i've had sevedral, my current one is a pg conversion with an ace folder and a custom forearm and flashider made by a friend in ohio.  i also replaced the sights with a krebs set.  i also own a high standard m10b bullpup shotgun that is my favorite close up weapon.  my all time favorite is a mint 1897 takedown riot gun.  i found it in altoona [all tuna] pa along time ago when working a case there.   it's a real assmasher.  BTW get out of that damn state.  if SHTF you are screwed.
pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Brad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:06pm
There's some weird stuff in this thread that went straight over my head, but I'm used to that so I'll ignore it.

But if the question is "What is a decent, reliable, multi-purpose, affordable rifle" (which it wasn't, at least initially), I'll second the recommendation of an SKS, especially over a slug gun.  Surplus models are available at a number of places for $125 to $150 in excellent shape, and they really are a proven platform at a bargain price.

As for removing the Cosmo, it truly can be a pain in the butt.  To do it right, you really have to fully disassemble the rifle.  The wood stocks are easier--just heat them and sweat the Cosmo out, in the warm sun, the oven, suspended over a space heater, wherever.  The metal parts are more critical, especially the bolt.  You can boil them repeatedly in hot water, or try kerosene, or use brake cleaner (which works very well but is nasty stuff--use gloves).  It's important that the firing pin moves freely when you shake the bolt, so don't quit until you reach that point.  If you have to remove the firing pin retainer, good luck, that can be a difficult proposition, especially in the Yugoslavian models, but it can be done, eventually, if you just keep pounding on it.  Remember to lightly oil all the metal surfaces before reassembling.  Don't mean to discourage anyone, these are "best buy" rifles, but removing the Cosmo can be a pain.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:36pm
Detpat,

I lust after the Saiga 12.  My friend who shot riot guns with me on the skeet range threatened to disown me if I showed up with one.  Alas, the state of Kommiefornia has declared them an "assault weapon" and hence banned from my posession.

If I move out of this state, that's at the top of my wish list.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:30pm
along time ago i saw a man shot with 12 gauge birdshot.  the wound was inflicted at approx 4 to 7 yards, and impacted the left side of the head.  he was DRT when we arrived.  even the wad from a 12 can be lethal at very close range.  the shooter was a woman BTW.

If you are looking for a shotgun that i believe [don't believe me, check] that is legal in NJ [i hate NJ]  try the saiga 12 in it's original import form. even without the PG conversion it's a really great shotgun.  fairly inexpensive, though not quite so much in the current import company's estimation.  it has 2 and 5 shot mags, and you can, if you live in a free state, get 8 round mags.  recoil is light, even with heavy slugs.
  pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:13pm
twoolf,

Now you're talking!  Friend of mine has an 870, nice shotgun.  We used to take our 18" barrel shotguns to the skeet range on Wednesday nights.  We called it "Riot Night" for our riot guns. 

In a handgun, I'm not convinced there's any better stopper than 125 grain .357 hollow points.  I have a Ruger GP100 4".  Built like a tank.  No, wait, make that an aircraft carrirer.  I could run over it with the truck, and it would emerge unscathed.  Not the funnest thing to wear around the house in my negligee.  Heavy, like 40 ounces.  Total confidence in it, though.  I like my Ruger P345 for the extra 3 rounds of .45 and a quick mag swap - but I believe the GP will be functioning well into the next century with modest care.

Anyway, I like your choices in defensive arms.  Rock on, brother.

Spoon,

Welcome aboard, friend!

My personal experience is with InterOrdnanace, but I have heard excellent things about Samco.  At the moment, it looks like Samco has the preferred merchandise.  Before placing an order, contact your FFL of choice and tell him what you are ordering, and from whom.  He will need to send them an "FFL letter"  (a copy of his license) before they will ship the order anyway.  He will also advise you of any paperwork that needs handling up front, and will quote you the fees for such.  Not all FFL's charge the same (at least in CA they don't) so it may pay you to shop around.

In your enthusiasm, don't let anyone sucker you into buying military surplus ammunition.  Some of it is OK, but a lot of what's on the market right now is corrosive, which requires special and immediate cleaning after shooting it in your rifle.  You don't want that.  Wolf (a Russian ammo company) is usually the price leader, but domestic manufacutrers like Remington are as good or better in quality, even if they are a tad more expensive.  There have been some shortages of the 7.62 x 39 lately, but that is easing and expected to be resolved by April or May.  Speculators think that SKS rifles may go up in price at that time due to increased ammo availability.

CitizenBlue -

SKS rifles are what are called "combat accurate".  Which is to say, they are better at knocing people down reliably at 100 yards than they are at making sniper head-shots at 500 yards like you might expect from a Remington Model 700.  The accuracy varies widely between nationalities and just as much between individual rifles.  There are some things that can be done to "tweak" a rifle's accuracy.  If you compete in contests where group size is measured in fractions of an inch, an SKS rifle is not what you'd want to use.  If pulling the trigger and getting a satisfactory "BANG" 10 times out of 10, and reliably putting lead into an 18" square at 100 -200 yards nearly every time are your goals, I think you would be satisfied with an SKS.  In fact with some effort they can reliably exceed those modest goals.  And imagine getting all that for around $200.  Such a deal.  They are typically slightly more accurate than the AK-47, and less accurate than the AR-15.
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:39pm
aahhh, I see that the issue has been addressed.  Sorry about that!

Off to dream of a Barrett Light .50. . . 

Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:36pm
asatrape at 7:59 (3-28)

Are you high?  Drunk? Or just really, really tired?
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:02pm
Welcome twoolf,

The 870 was my second choice.  Which one did you get?
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:47pm
Interesting thread...

My personal defense consists of a .357 sidearm for  doing the dishes :-)   The main Home defense is a model 870 with an 18" barrel and 00 buck.  I dont anticipate needing to really reach out and touch some one for defense, but if really required the .308 should take care of that.  For food, a .22, a 20 guage,  the 870 with 26"barrel, and a 30.30 should do the trick.  I think any intruder would have to think twice with that 870 and a short barrel.   It really is intimidating looking and very maneuverable
CitizenBlue View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CitizenBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:38am
Bruss

Totally agree about owning one weapon that can do both. Actually, having read your (spoon, sohpia, et all) posts I know your knowledge and am impressed. So, that post was definitely not directed towards you or the others, but to folks that are first time owners/buyers (nothing more dangerous than gun ignorance).

That said, I believe I shot the SKS when stationed in Germany as part of our training on Eastern Bloc weapons. If this is the weapon I remember, it was a nice assualt rifle, but like the AK, sloppy at ranges of over 100 yards. But built like a hammer and reliable. The price of $199.00 can not be beat. So, since you own one, how is the accuracy? What's the action like? You talked about surplus rounds?

It's always the lowest common denominator.
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:49am

I've decided to get an SKS.  I ran a search for local FFLs... no problem... there are a ton around me.

Once I get it, I'll probably drive you crazy with questions, so I apologize in advance.

Thanks again buddy!
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:41am
Sorry, couldn't resist!

There are many techniques.  Some use steam or hot water to melt it off, and finish up with solvent.  That would be good for a very heavy coating.  I just used solvent, it took a day's work to do a thorough job, but it was rewarding.  I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday.

The stock is a separate issue.  Sometimes the wood has absorbed a lot of cosmoline.  This can be coaxed out of the wood by gentle heating.  Some people use a hot car or even a black plastic trash bag left in the sun.  It can be done in an oven on low heat, if you have a big enough oven.  I did a complete write up on this once on another board.  It depends on the condition of the stock and how much cosmo it has in it.  If you get one, I'll talk you thru it.  The boards I mentioned above have a lot of good tips. Cosmoline removal is a universal skill among those who collect mill surp rifles, and everyone has their own favorite methods.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:34am
Spoon,

Yes.
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:33am
Bruss,

How do you remove cosmoline from an SKS (solvent, elbow grease, scrapers, time)?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:29am
Bruss,

I looked at the article and could not find the type round for the 410,  if it was bird shot it probably would not matter if it were 12 gauge.  I believe but do not have the science to back it up that buck shot or a slug from a 410 would do impressive damage and make a good man stopper.  I hunted with 410s as a boy and believe a slug in a 410 is similar to damage from same caliber rifle or pistol.   I only say this because recoil issues would lead some to a 410, and I believe the right shot/slug in 3 inch magnum would be a serious stopper. 
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 9:54am
Originally posted by JMcB JMcB wrote:

Thus, a .410 bore shotgun is a great choice. A 3 inch .410 shot shell fires 3/4 ounce of shot at 1100 feet per second, resulting in approximately 800 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, and a 2 ½" .410 with ½ ounce of shot produces approximately 600 foot pounds at the muzzle. The delivered energy at the defense ranges considered here are greater than a .357 Magnum revolver cartridge, but the longer barrel and greater weight of the shotgun results in less than half the noise and recoil. More important, the shot pattern is about 8 inches in diameter at 20 feet (full choke), and does not generally penetrate a wall, whereas a .357 Mag bullet pierces walls easily...and unintended victims on the other side"

I don't think a .410 is sufficient firepower, and here's a case in point where a homeowner used a .410 on a 60-year old intruder and it did not stop him!

"An investigation revealed that Jackson saw Vigil trying to break into the front door with the butt end of a rifle. Jackson grabbed a .410 shotgun and shot the intruder in the chest as he entered the home, but the shot did not stop him, police said.

Jackson and his son ran into a back bedroom and locked the door. Jackson told his son to hide under a bed and then grabbed a 30-06 rifle and started loading it. Police said the intruder then fired two rounds from a 30.30 rifle through the closed bedroom door.

Jackson yelled at him to leave and fired one round from his weapon through the bedroom door into the hallway. The intruder fired two more rounds and then began busting open the bedroom door, police said.

At that point Jackson fired another round, which apparently struck the intruder in the right hip area. The door remained closed and Jackson and his son stayed in the bedroom until officers arrived."

The round from the 30-06 is what did the stopping.  Looks like the .410 just made him mad.  Just about any decent powered handgun would have done the same thing.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:42am
DD-

It's probably fine and legal under Missouri law.  It may have been out of compliance with 922r (depending on what other mods were made or parts replaced), as I said it's a little known provision of federal law which hasn't been enforced, and could easily be overlooked by a pawn shop or even a gun dealer who should know better.

The mild recoil you noticed is one of the things that has helped make them such popular rifles on the surplus market. 

Glad I could help answer some of your questions.
Daydreamer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:35am
Thanks Bruss. I appreciate your answer. I didn't notice a kick at all with the SKS that I shot. Of course, I'm not a 120 pound woman either. I'm a big girl so I'm sure that would make a big difference.

To my knowledge SKS are legal in Missouri but I have no idea if it's legal to modify them. The plastic stock SKS that I shot was purchased at a pawn shop so I'm assuming it is legal.
Don't put off tomorrow what you can PREP today
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 7:14am
Daydreamer,

Good morning.  In answer to your question...

The SKS rifle is a very popular surplus rifle.  It lends itself easily to the home workman for modifications such as the one you describe.  Stocks and accessories and replacement parts are available in a veritable plethora of types and styles.

Yes, a plastic stock will typically weigh less.  A rifle that weighs less will have more "kick" from the same ammo, simple physics.  The kick from an all-original SKS is very reasonable and controllable.  Part of this is due to the gas-recoil mechanism, which absorbs some of the recoil energy, and some is due to the weight of the gun - 9 lbs is fairly stout for a small rifle.  They weigh this much because they are built TOUGH.  Especially the Yugo variety, which are everywhere right now and very affordable.

There are some legal considerations, which vary from state to state.  Be sure when modifying any gun that your modifications do not violate the laws of your state, because most gun violations can be chargeable as felonies.

There is a little-known provision in federal law called 922r.  It pertains to imported military weapons.  In many instances (I believe some if not all SKS rifles fall under this provision) if you make any significant alteration to the rifle, you must exchange a certain number of foreign (original) parts on the rifle for US-made parts, or remove certain features from the rifle (such as the bayonet, bayonet lug, etc).  This is called winning the 10 parts game.  To the best of my knowledge, no one has EVER been prosecuted under provision 922r.  I have seen a lot of rifles that are not in compliance.  It seems to be very low on the prosecution radar (at the moment).  However, I would not want to be the FIRST!  One manufacturer, Tapco, produces sets of "Compliance parts" with an eye towards helping people comply with 922r. 

Bear in mind, original condition SKS rifles are fine and legal just about everywhere.  922r only comes into question if you make a significant alteration to the rifle.

For those who would like info on how to legally modify an SKS rifle and/or win the 10 parts game, check out SurplusRifles.com and Survivor's SKS Boards.
liveanotherday View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liveanotherday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:32am
Originally posted by bruss01 bruss01 wrote:

SKS with detachable magazine type

That's a very specific type of SKS rifle, to my recollection they were made only in China.  MOST SKS rifles are not of this type.  Right now, very affordable SKS rifles are available from Yugoslavia.  They DO NOT HAVE A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE.  They have a FIXED 10 round magazine that can be loaded using stripper clips.  These rifles are not SUBSTANTIALLY IDENTICAL to the banned ones, because ability to use a detachable magazine is a profound mechanical difference."

Double check with your local gun store to be sure, but I see nothing in the text provided that leads me to believe a normal, garden-variety SKS rifle would be verboten in NJ.

Having a detachable magazine on an SKS will get you thrown in the hooskow in most places. In any case, the SKS with a detachable isn't very user friendly. In my experience, the clips are difficult to get in and out of the rifle compared to the AK, AR or similar weapons designed from the get go to use detachable magazines.
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 1:47am
One of the purposes of powerful rifles, is to deny the enemy cover. Turboguy in a post said that he was able to neutralize a target behind a wheel by shooting through a wheel when others could not. ( they were ambushed in the story.)

If things become so unglued that there are roving gangs, basically pillaging areas, Interdiction of these types at long range( provided by a well set up rifle)might be just the thing. Rifles do need more attention than any other weapon. Guns are tools and nothing can replace a rifle if that is what the situation calls for. They also take the most practice and setup.

The SKS are tops for the  price to  performance ratio. some SKS  are legal in almost all states.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:36pm

Spoon, I thought no such thing. I've always had my weapons questions answered very thoroughly here. I don't know why I had to state that it was a question from a woman. Probably due to the previous posts.

I am sure that Bruss will have an answer for me. I've contemplated purchasing a SKS and know someone with the plastic stock gun that I have shot (and love) but we can only find wooden stock guns for sale and no way of shooting before buying.
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 10:30pm
Daydreamer,

I hope you don't think I was ignoring you, and I really hope you don't think I take a woman's question as being less important.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Bruss is our resident SKS expert.  I will leave you in his capable hands.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daydreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:28pm
Okay, I have a question about SKS guns. Yes, it's a woman asking a question but I'm quite serious here.  I've shot an SKS with a "folding" stock that I'm wanting to say is made of plastic? I have never shot one with a wooden stock. Does the plastic stock make them quite a bit lighter in weight? I would assume it would but not entirely for sure. The other question I have in comparing a plastic stock and a wooden stock is: Would the gun have more or less of a recoil because of the stock in question? I'm not sure this even makes sense to me. I hope it makes sense to some of you gun enthusiasts.
fafhrd View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fafhrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:14pm
When I moved this post, the timestamp pushed it back in the discussion.  In the interest of clarity I've requoted it here in its entirety.

Originally posted by asatrape asatrape wrote:

I saw some pictures this evening that offended me.  I voiced my opinion.  I was wrong.  I have been informed that I am not really seeing what I am looking at.  My eyes are not great so I trust my PM persons.

So...... you have my apology. 

Happy gun hunting.
I had a little bird,
his name was Enza;
I opened the window,
and influenza.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:11pm
Oh MY!

Asatrape, I am a loud and vocal proponent of firearms.  And I celebrate that Bruss (mainly) and several others have lent us their knowledge and wisdom on the issue of firearms.  I have even asked Bruss's opinion on several issues specific to women and firearms. 

I am a long time, and proficient "slinger of lead" and a female and I would have been more upset if they had chosen to post the bikini babes with the guns.  These men are not testosterone driven "hicks" or "rednecks".  They have genuine knowledge and that is why they are looked to when a question arises.

I did see your apology, and I thank you for posting it.  I just want to be sure that there aren't any remaining "issues", because these are the "good guys".

SZ
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 9:02pm
OK, I am an unbiased observer. I am responding to bruss. I have reviewed this entire thread, including links. I can testify that I have no idea what is being referred to.
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:38pm
that reminds me. .....
everybody make sure they have at least a three months supply of medications in their preps.
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:27pm
Just thought I'd weigh in here, I picked up an AK-47 this weekend, multiple mags, a wheelbarrel full of ammo, and I passed an ink blot test.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
red wolf View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 8:20pm
LOL this made my night.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:59pm
I saw some pictures this evening that offended me.  I voiced my opinion.  I was wrong.  I have been informed that I am not really seeing what I am looking at.  My eyes are not great so I trust my PM persons.

So...... you have my apology. 

Happy gun hunting.
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:53pm
There are no naked people in these images.  The last picture is a view from one end of the crate.  You are looking at wooden stocks.  Bruss was showing the serial #'s.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:52pm

TROLL ALERT.

I'm reporting this to the site administrator and let him decide how to handle it.  We definitely don't need to be wasting our time on people who insist on seeing something that isn't there.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:49pm
Editted by me because I'm an idiot.
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic