Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

feather/down-filled products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: feather/down-filled products
    Posted: March 29 2006 at 11:55am
This is from a Q&A in the NYTimes on 3-27

Q. Is it safe to buy imported feather pillows, down coats or comforters and clothing or jewelry with feathers?

A. Imported feathers may not be safe. There is a risk to handling products made with feathers from countries with outbreaks of bird flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Feathers from those countries are banned in the United States unless they have been processed to destroy viruses.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:09pm
wow...my kids wanted to buy a toy from the dollar store the other day and it was for the cat...had feathers and i said no way China feathers...dollar store...

We will really have to stay on top of this...i have stocked up extra pillows and blankets and comforters for all of us they are in airtight old chlorine drums I managed to pick up(free)...I also have sheets and tons of clothes...and I wash everything first...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:22pm
sealbay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:25pm
Isn't an eider a duck
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:28pm
Description Back to top

The Common Eider Somateria mollissima is the largest duck in the northern hemisphere. It weighs an average of 1 800 g, but its weight can vary from 850 to 3 025 g depending on race, sex, and time of year. There are four Common Eider races in North America; subtle differences in body size and bill structure distinguish each race from the other.

The plumage of the Common Eider varies considerably. It passes through several stages while the bird is growing to maturity, and after the bird reaches adulthood at about three years old, the plumage alternates between two colours each year as a result of moulting, or the replacement of old feathers with new. In addition, the male’s plumage differs from the female’s

ooops url;http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=38

Fiddlerdave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:39pm
If the product had been irradiated, it would be safe.  On another thread, someone got some pet food from Costco that had been (product of Thailand, I believe).
Dave
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us"!
cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:46pm
Thank goodness we have GOOSE down comforters and pillows. No problems here. (I think?)
Why do some people Hate, with incredible passion, and yet without reason, consideration of fact, or any allowance for rebuttal. Father God, forgive me if I should ever be this intolerant of others.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic