Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > Medical Intervention & Prevention
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Prevnar vs Pneumoccal Polysaccharide in a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prevnar vs Pneumoccal Polysaccharide in a
    Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:39am
A quick question for anyone who has adolescents. My children 20, 19, and 16 have all had the Prevnar Innoculations while growing up. They have no preexisting conditions that indicate a pnuemoccal polysaccharide injection. If someone has a preexisting condition when does the CDC recommend beginning the adult vaccine? Any suggestions? I am desperately trying to cover as many bases as I can in order to make sure that I have done the best for them.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:40am
standingfirm; I have 14 and 20 year old...I have not heard of Prevnar...of course i am in canada and things arealot different...i hope someone can help you on this,we have alot of great members and someone may have a suggestion...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:47am
i hope so too. Prevnar is the childhood vaccine given in 3 to 4 doses to prevent pneumonias in children, or so I was told this morning by the pediatricians office. She said that all of my children are up to date in their immunizations but she was not able to answer my question about the bridges between childhood and adult care.

The receptionist asked me if I was concerned about meningitis and I said "no, not meningitis but I think you know why I am calling". She replied "yes, I believe I do". They said they would call back but I don't really think that they will. I will let everyone know if I hear anything else. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:56am
I know that kids received..mumps measels and rubella.....and then they DPTP,s ....and once in grade 7-8 they get 2 measels shots...

i,ll go grab a look in google
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 5:58am
Here is some info:

Diphtheria
Tetanus
Pertussis
Poliomyelitis

lol the chart was to big for here

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 6:01am
It is that 16+ to 65 years that I am concerned about. How long is Prevnar good for
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 3:01pm
My 10 year old and my 6 year old grandaughter both had the baby vaccinations, but the pediatrician did go ahead and give them the pnuemococcal vaccine. He tried to talk me out of it and didn't really want to, but I we discussed H5N1 and he went ahead and agreed to give it. This was two different visits, I took my daughter first,then went a couple of weeks later with my oldest daughter and grandaughter to get hers. Myself and my oldest daughter and my husband had no problems getting our vaccines. I didn't even have to see the doctor, I went in said I wanted it, they got the doctor to write the order and I got the vaccine.
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 4:39pm
I have young children, too.  The pneumonia vaccine they are given as children is given in 4 dosages, the abbreviation for this vaccine is PCV.  It is a vaccine for a particular strain of pneumonia which is very dangerous to young children.  This is not the same as the pneumonia vaccine that we need to get now.  This pneumonia vaccine, abbreviation PPV23, covers 23 different strains of pneumonia.  My children are getting this vaccine tomorrow, and they are under the age of 7.   The pneumonia vaccine is called Pneumovax, not Prevnar. Prevnar might be the name of the childhood vaccine. I would get copies of each of their immunization records and see what they need.  The CDC has detailed descriptions of all vaccines and has time-lines for child and adult vaccines.  www.cdc.gov  I think this is the website. Good luck.
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 4:41pm
the pneumonia vaccine, PPV23, can be given to children and adults. they just adjust the dosage that they give. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:23pm
Thank you all for answering. The pediatrician said that they will not give a pneumovax to the kids unless they have a preexisting condition Cry
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 3:41am
I would call around.  Check all of your areas urgent care clinics and try the health deptartment.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:19am
    I don't understand why this vaccine will help when the B.F. comes, as it will be a mutated strain. Can someone tell me?
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:26am
go to the medical interventions topic. there is a pneumonia vaccine thread with tons of info and opinions.
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:27am
the thread is called secondary pneumonia from h5n1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 6:24am
Thanks willow. I didn't mean to start a tangent thread. My sincere apologies.
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 7:12am
Hi I was very lucky to get the adult vaccine for both children aged 9 and 10. It was close because the doctor didn't know how long the infant one lasted. At first she said it wasn't needed for travel quoting the cdc website. But I told her I was sure I had seen it on the WHO travel injection page. She even called my clinic that had refused to give any of us the injection. They told her they did have it at the clinic. Then she gave it to them the same vaccine I had gotten. This took atleast 30 minutes back and forth. I stood firm and just said "could you please just give them the injection anyway" I had to sign a paper as it was not on her list of travel vaccinations. This was at a travel clinic the office call was 60.00 the shots were 45.00 each.
I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 6:42am
UPDATE: I found the problem, at least with our pediatrician.

She called late on Friday in return to my call early on Thursday. She called to inform me about the lack of necessity for healthy children to have a pnuemovax. I even inquired about traveling to other countries. She said no to even that scenario, saying that there was nothing that would indicate the need for a pnuemovax. So i said "you aren't concerned with emergent infectious disease of the respiratory type"? I also asked her if she or her children have had a pneumovax. She said "no" to all of the above. So I said "aren't you concerned about the news from WHO or the CDC. She said that she concerns herself with the updates that she receives from her pediatric sources. So I said "aha, now I see where the disconnect is happening". She was perturbed by that and kept saying what are you talking about and I said that she should also remain educated with infectious diseases and releases from the CDC and WHO. I said unfortunately your practice may become very, very busy in the upcoming weeks.

I am still so upset ovr this. 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 9:55am
Standingfirm, my pediatrician didn't want to give it to my 10 year old at first either, I had to go over the fact, she has asthma, has been hospitalized in the past with pneumonia, etc. and he still didn't want to give it. I then figured what the heck: I told him I had been doing personal research on the internet for several months and following H5N1, we talked about secondary pneumona, discussed that is was being passed to mamals (this was during the week the first cat got it) now and how fast it was spreading. He also talked to me about Hantavirus and Meningitis and he then said she could get the pneumonia vaccine. If I had not mentioned the real reason, I don't think he would have given it. Then this past week I went with my oldest daughter and 6 year old grandaughter (DD wanted me to come because she said I have a way of convincing people and she was afraid they would tell her no and she didn't know what to say to them). Daughter asked the same doc to give her daugher the vaccine and he said no, I said "remember me" and briefly refreshed his memory and he asid ok, so my grandaughter got the vaccine, grandson is 2 and couldn't get it because he was sick, they said wait 2-3 weeks on him. Keep trying, someone will give it to them. The doc did say it was an unusual request,he wrote nothing in the chart about H5N1 (I looked) he just wrote "high risk" then the nurse gave the vaccine.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:00am
You were certainly wise in your approach. I am hoping that our pediatrician was intrigued enough by our conversation to do some "out of her specialty?" research. I will call back on Monday to see if the doc has reconsidered. 
otskot View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otskot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 11:15am
My twins (now 2 yrs old) had the Prevnar series during their first two years. At their second birthday exam this past January, I asked our pediatrician about getting them the pneumonia vaccination (Pneumovax) and he consented. I got my pneumovax myself at our local pharmacy without any trouble as well. I would check other doctors, and/or pharmacies in your area to see if they offer the pneumovax. You don't need a prescription to get it. We opted to have our kids get the pneumovax to reduce possibilities of bacterial pneumonia and its complications during Bird Flu. There are really not any major side effects -- just the normal ones from any vaccination. It did hurt a bit more -- at least for my daughter.

One other note. There are two different brands of pneumonia vaccinations out there. We went with the Pneumovax as it does not use mercury as a preservative.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic