Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Food Preparation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food Preparation
    Posted: March 30 2006 at 8:58am

I am trying to figure out the most energy way to cook food if utilities are cut off.  Long term a solar cooker seems to be the best, but I'm wondering which grill/fuel method is best.  HAs anyone compared the options?  I would like to calculate how many hours of cooking time I would have based on what I bought and stored. 

Also, a pressure cooker seems like a must-have.  Does anyone know how they work used over a grill? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:59am
Buy firewood, and a lot of it. Make a firepit, and a tripod to hang a castiron pot over for stews, beans etc. Or after the fire has died down, put a flat grate over it for a skillet. Also a camping type coffee pot for coffee, or just heating water for whatever.
And with the grate over the hot coals, throw on some water soaked hickory chips and cook up the last of the steaks.....yummmmmm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 10:03am
Charcoal also works good for this, but it doesn't give the same effect as firewood. Sitting around the fire, watching the stars, talking, listening to music. Roasting marshmellows, hotdogs. Man, I'm getting hungry .....
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 1:10pm
Greetings!  I purchased a copper firepit a while ago and am wondering how efficient it would be for cooking.  It has a grill and could burn wood or charcoal or pellets for that matter.  It's so wide across and shallow, seems like a lot of the heat would go right past whatever I was cooking.  Thoughts?
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 12:12pm
Once you have a pile of hot coals, you can cook most anything. If the firepit does not have a bottom, just dig it deeper. You could aslo build a reflector for keep the heat going in one direction.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Mountainwinds Mountainwinds wrote:

Charcoal also works good for this, but it doesn't give the same effect as firewood. Sitting around the fire, watching the stars, talking, listening to music. Roasting marshmellows, hotdogs. Man, I'm getting hungry .....

my firepit number one is still unde 2 feet of snow and my firepit number 2(used for burning leaves) is about another 100 yards from firpit number one and is still under 3 feet of snow...althou its better this year...ummm.oh do la cologne..why can,t they make a man,s cologne to smell like burnt wood...

I can hardly wait I love having fires...fishing...hummm...ok back to reality
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:23pm
Mountainwinds & muskrat:  I just wanted to clarify, I purchased a copper firepit. It has a stand, cover and grate.  It is wide and shallow.  That is why I was thinking a lot of good heat will be wasted when cooking, cuz it wouldn't be directed.  Thoughts?
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
floridagirl View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:57pm
thanks for the info, makes me want to go camping this weekend!  Say people neeed a more discreet way of cooking...fires can alert burglers, or might not be a good option for somebody like me that is living in a condo.  How many hours could you cook with a 20lb tank of propane and a grill?  Is fuel consumption that much different between grills?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:12pm
I have a small heater that equals that of a single burner stove. It says it will run over 100 hours on a 20# tank.
Hope that helps.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 5:13pm
To add, a grill will use a lot more. Would be better to buy a propane camp stove with adapter for 20# tank.
floridagirl View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floridagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:27pm
Thanks, Mountainwinds.  So you're sying a campstove uses less fuel than a regular grill and that you can hook up a propane tank to it with an adapter?  That's good info.  I thought the campstives could only use the small containers of coleman fuel 
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 8:29am
Learned from a Chinese cookbook how to cook rice and use very little fuel.

You will need a heavy pot with a good fitting lid.
Pour in the water
Put in the rice til the rice peak is about 1 inch above the water
Boil the pot for about 1-2 mins, put on the lid and turn the heat off
Allow it to steam (do not lift the lid) for about 20-25 mins

I have a heavy enameled pot, a cast iron pot and even pressure cooker will work without a bowl inside.

Edited by Ironstone - April 14 2006 at 8:29am
Ironstone
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 8:43am
With a grill, the burner is large, and wastes a lot of heat. With a campstove (that uses 1# bottles) the heat is centered under the pot, pan or whatever.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic