Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

On Becoming a Laughingstock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 5:25am
 My entire family is laughing at me. calling me chicken little (the sky is falling) well i'm still stocking up. I my be doing it alone but  I am stocking.
 Just found this forum last week. Thanks to all. This is a great place .
 Lots of good info.
God bless us all
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 5:54am
Wonderful Lucy!

Many of us are laughed at by our friends and family for spending the time and money to prepare. I'll feed some of them anyway. LOL!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 7:10am
    I'm new to this forum and it's nice to hear people who support the prepping. Either my friends have never heard of bird flu or they find one article that says not to worry and they show it to me. My husband thinks I'm nut!!
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 10:14am
My DH is on board with the physical preparations--being an electrical engineer by training, he has been invaluable with the installation of solar panels, figuring out generator needs, inverters, etc.  Where he has trouble is with visualizing the possible outcomes of a pandemic.  A long time ago, I did a fairly extensive research project on the Black Death; when I showed him that report, and extrapolated those numbers to possible deaths with avian flu, he told me he was worried about my mental health!!
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 9:49pm

I've got a co-worker who just refuses to talk about BF.  I over-heard her tell another of my co-workers "That's all she talks about."  Actually, I didn't talk about it that much, but just tried to engage her in conversation to see what she was thinking about.  Now, I don't talk about it at all other than to simply ask what people think about BF.  I feel so isolated outside of this chat room and would love to have a friend nearby who I can discuss it with.  I also think it best to keep silent now anyway as I wouldn't want my unprepared co-workers trying to find my house at the last minute.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Annere Annere wrote:

I've got a co-worker who just refuses to talk about BF.  I over-heard her tell another of my co-workers "That's all she talks about."  Actually, I didn't talk about it that much, but just tried to engage her in conversation to see what she was thinking about.  Now, I don't talk about it at all other than to simply ask what people think about BF.  I feel so isolated outside of this chat room and would love to have a friend nearby who I can discuss it with.  I also think it best to keep silent now anyway as I wouldn't want my unprepared co-workers trying to find my house at the last minute.

Yes my coworker is the same, I call her Typhoid Mary behind her back!
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:09pm
  June 1st starts hurrican season here.  Today i was at walmart and just started chatting with another lady.  I said are you getting ready for hurrican season, thinking i could later lead into the bird flu.  She looked at me with this look on her face and said i don't worry about that stuff God  will take care of me. We just went thur hurrican Katrina a few months ago. So i'm thinking to my self this is not the woman to mention BF to.  I had lunch with a friend today and suggested she prepare.  Her reponse was oh, I'm not worried someone will take me in just like they did for the hurrican.  I said yeah right, they will all run the other way and left it at that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:05am
For what it is worth.  I was laughed at for prepping for Y2K.  I felt a bit foolish, but did not have to buy canned goods for a year.  All the food was at last year's price, and saved quite a bit of money in the long run.  Today a few people have laughed, but latter asked me what they should be getting.  The world we live in is just too dangerous not to have at least a month's worth of preps stored.  Many things can happen, and BF is not always the most likely.  If you are prepped for anything, you are somewhat prepped for everything.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 3:52pm
There is nothing quite like your pediatrition giving you a patronizing look while 'explaining' that bird flu will probably not be a problem, will only be dangerous - IF it happens - to the very old and very young with current health problems!!!  Not healthy strong children like mine.  UGH!

Had to take both kids in today - turns out they, and I, have strep.   Yeah, oh yeah.  They also have had mild asthma most of their lives.  Thought I'd take the opportunity to inquire about the pnemonia shot for them especially since this "interesting virus might be here this year" (the kids don't know yet).  She looks at me with total confusion "What interesting virus"  I say "bird flu"  She left the room almost immediately.  Came back and said "where are you getting this?  are you getting it off the internet?  blah blah blah.  She made me feel like a loon - in front of my kids.

Our own doctors have no clue...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 6:34pm
Sand, Don't you know not to believe everything you read on the internet!  LOL

She will be sorry she pooh poohed you when she is taking care of all the sick children.  Such a shame
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic