Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Medical Intervention & Prevention
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Preventing Cross-Contamination

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preventing Cross-Contamination
    Posted: April 02 2006 at 6:22am

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ppe.html#

There has been considerable discussion on the member's behalf regarding the use of gowns, gloves, masks and eye protection.  It will only be beneficial if you don't end up cross-contaminating yourselves.  I hope that this information will be helpful to you, (if not blame therese she made me do this)LOL.

The above link will take you to the CDC web site regarding PPE.  It has links to MS Power Point and Adobe PDF on how to select and use Personal Protective Equipment to protect yourself "in the healthcare setting."   There is also a poster available (you may have to adjust the size to print it) that can be downloaded so that you have a hard copy for reference. 
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 6:40am
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CIS_WSH_part554_35632_7.pdf
Under part 554 of the Michigan Bloodborne and Infectious Disease Standard (link provided above) take a look at page 11, column 2, paragraph 2 under the heading of Disinfectants, (and this is my interpretation only on this), that it appears that if an alcohol based sanitizer is utilized than it needs to be 70-90% alcohol.  I translate this to mean if alcohol is the main ingredient then 70% is the minimum for disinfecting capabilities.  If you are purchasing  your hand sanitizers "on the cheap", you may be a wee-bit disappointed when then don't work. FYI
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 6:46am
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/bp_laundry.html
And finally, another issue is going to be laundry.  The above link takes you to the CDC web site regarding laundry, and how to decontaminate and protect yourself while doing it.  Pay particular attention to paragraphs 2 & 3.
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 10:54am
Thanks for the useful links.
Why can't we just add alcohol (it is inexpensive and I bet many of us have bottles of it as part of our prep) to our 62% alcohol bottles of hand gel. If this seems feasable, what would be an appropriate amount to goose the alcohold content of the hand washing gel from 62% to 70% +?

Rocky

Originally posted by TERMS 1 TERMS 1 wrote:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CIS_WSH_part554_35632_7.pdf

Under part 554 of the Michigan Bloodborne and Infectious Disease Standard (link provided above) take a look at page 11, column 2, paragraph 2 under the heading of Disinfectants, (and this is my interpretation only on this), that it appears that if an alcohol based sanitizer is utilized than it needs to be 70-90% alcohol.  I translate this to mean if alcohol is the main ingredient then 70% is the minimum for disinfecting capabilities.  If you are purchasing  your hand sanitizers "on the cheap", you may be a wee-bit disappointed when then don't work. FYI

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 11:05am
I read somewhere that 62 % ethyl alcohol was the equivalent to 70% isopropyl alcohol (3M's web site?).  My main concern is that the hand sanitizers sold at "dollar-type-stores", is only 40% alcohol (main ingredient) and still it states that it kills 99.99% of germs.  This appears to be one of those American things where "bigger is better."
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 12:57pm
I don't know about the ethyl alcohol vs isopropyl alcohol content difference. It would be helpful if someone could give us some definitive information regarding that.

However, question still stands. If you look at the content of the "less expensive" hand sanitizers, mine, at least, report 62% alcohol content. So how much alcohol (either type) would we have to add to each bottle to bring it up to the recommended approx 70% level? Thanks. Rocky

Originally posted by TERMS 1 TERMS 1 wrote:

I read somewhere that 62 % ethyl alcohol was the equivalent to 70% isopropyl alcohol (3M's web site?).  My main concern is that the hand sanitizers sold at "dollar-type-stores", is only 40% alcohol (main ingredient) and still it states that it kills 99.99% of germs.  This appears to be one of those American things where "bigger is better."

Rocky
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 2:31pm
    Great educational link Terms 1! Everyone should read this because this virus will be airborne each time we remove gloves or gowns, or strip the sheets off beds. There is a right and wrong way to remove all of these to reduce exposure. Good info!
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 5:59pm
I looked at both links and couldn't find reference to stripping sheets. Sounds like info I would like and it sure makes sense. Did I miss something. Thanks. Rocky

Originally posted by therese therese wrote:

Great educational link Terms 1! Everyone should read this because this virus will be airborne each time we remove gloves or gowns, or strip the sheets off beds. There is a right and wrong way to remove all of these to reduce exposure. Good info!

Rocky
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 6:28pm
    I am a nurse, and part of my training was about changing bed linens to reduce the spread of microbes. Basically you try to never come in contact with the linens. This means you approach the bed gingerly with latex gloves on. Fold the sheets slowly inward toward the middle of the bed and continue to fold all sides inward slowly to reduce the microbes from becoming airborn. Keep folding the linen in on itself until it is all folded into a small bundle. Then you hold it out away from your body and dispose of it in a separate linen bin with a lid. Do not ever push linens down, or reach into the soiled linen bin. Just gently drop the linen in and put the lid down. Remove your gloves again away from your body, being careful to fold them into themselves, and then wash your hands after the whole process. ( when you see people hurrying to change bed linens and they are pulling up corners of the linen and wisking it all up in the air, you can also picture the millions of germs that were in the linens and are now airborn!)
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 6:44pm
Rocky-  I'm trying to find  picture examples somewhere on-line of how linen is supposed to be changed with a person in the bed, and the steps involved.  Regarding %'s I don't know if adding 70% alcohol to a 40% hand sanitizer gel will actually dilute it (or other active ingredients in it) or how much you would need use to get it up to an approved/accepted level, (at that point it becomes fractions) Confused.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic