Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

canned hams - horrid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 9:49pm
Yes, it does...I think this is going to be hard on me...Is tofurkey in sme categoy as Textured Veg Protein>  All I can think of in all of this scenarion is Soylent Green, I'm dating myself I know.

I am going to bed.  Will have horrible nightmares I'm sure, will involve canned ham...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:34am
Stop trying the preps everyone. You will give yourselves up to the authorities once you know you got to eat it for what will seem like forever.
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:25am
Originally posted by harpmandoodle harpmandoodle wrote:

Stop trying the preps everyone. You will give yourselves up to the authorities once you know you got to eat it for what will seem like forever.
LMAO!  Giving yourself up to the authorities is not an option, but after surviving for a few weeks on SPAM, etc., the thought might enter everyones mind.  The big deterent would be that the "authorities" are going to be ingesting much the same crap as the rest of us.

I used to know some good stuff about SPAM, "the meat that isn't".  LOL, I'll dig through my files and see what kind of stuff I come up with it! 
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:28am
Originally posted by araywood araywood wrote:

I have thought a head I have hired my own Chef .............Boyardee . MMMMMMM Beeforoni. I got a trick for getting thing down that taste nasty..HOT Sause just make sure you make some rice to stop the burning.

Someone needs to write the pandemic cookbook. ???? Maybe a new  section. 
Necessity truly is the Mother of Invention!
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:29am
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:31am
OH sh*t!  I was just being flip, but I hit the link I typed and it works!   Maybe there is a God after all!
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:38am
DAK Hams are really nasty , but I have eaten a few so I know what you are saying to me.  I really don't need to worry too much since I can cook it or marinate it in mustard sauce or dice it up in beans and rice.  Another  idea  is to cook it with brown sugar. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:56am
         This site makes me laugh out loud to myself .  You all have a great sense of humor!  Canned Spam .... I lived on it growing up in a struggling English family newly immigrated to the USA!  My mom used to slice potatos into 1/4 inch slices, sandwhich a piece of sliced spam into the middle of two of those.  Then she'd dip it into a milk/egg/flour battter and deep fry it ..... it was yummy when I was a kid .... but I'm wondering if it would be just as yummy now ... especially after reading the  posts above!                                                  
          I've wondered about those canned hams and now I know I'm NOT going to get any.  Actually felt the same way about the canned chicken I tried a few weeks ago and then I used it in Chicken Corn soup when I didn't have enough fresh chicken.  It was fine that way. And no one knew what I did!  
          I did find Summer Sausage in a local "Ollies Bargain Warehouse" for only $2.99 which don't expire till 2007!  (The kind you buy at the holidays that don't need refrigeration).  Got a few of those.
           What about everybody taking turns trying out a recipe using some preps and sharing the results?-k
drpepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:14am
how bout some beef jerky instead????? or corned beef hash or hormel chili dinty moore stew, canned tuna/salmon/crabmeat/clams/shrimp/chicken. i backpack a lot, and i have never ever been able to palate spam or canned ham, unless the spam is fried (then its ok if youre pretty hungry). this is all grossing me outDead im going to go buy som textured soy protein to add to my veggie dishes.

"of the two witnesses, listen to your conscience"
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:28am
Not the BEEFARONI!!!   ahhhh!  I had tons of it in my hurricane preps and actually had to eat it after one. I will never ,ever ,eat it again.
I stock  The walmart brand of chunk chicken,i t's not slimey and even makes an ok chicken salad.  Cheap too. Armour dried beef is great for beef in cream gravy. (served on biscuits or toast.) Dinty Moore chix and dumplings is also good. 
I agree on the DAK ham being nasty out of the can. I  rinsed it ,sliced it and cooked  it on the grill .It's not too bad that way and can then be chunked up for other dishes.
The turkey Spam was especially gross in my opinion.  Pressed turkey parts is just wrong. It tasted just like my Mom's cooking,YIKES. She can make anything taste like Liver, even greebeans.

(Flick ; doing the tequila -shot -shudder at the thought)

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:35am

The main use I found for the DAK "hams" over the years as I was going through rotating stock for one disaster after another's preps was to use it for ham salad.  You know, mayo, relish, finely cubed DAK "ham", LOL.

It worked prettty well that way.  However, its not the kind item one would just un-tin and slice up for sandwiches...Wink
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:40am
i bought the $2 canned hams at dollar general. whopee! use them to put in beans while cooking. works there.
Also we take the spam. slice it thin and fry it crisp and call it spacon. pretty good,

the canned ham doesnn't put off any fat. the spam puts off loads of grease. use the grease for lighting and other home remedies, etc.

.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
sealbay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:35am
I've got it.  Take one canned ham still in tin, shove to bottom of large sock, knot end.

Use as weapon.
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:13am
I lived in Hawaii for several years, and spam is HUGE there with the locals.  As is vienna sausages.  During WW2 that was one of the staples.  You can order spam omelets.  And they do make a sushi out of it... it's called spam musibi (sp?) and it's a slice of spam, wrapped with sticky rice, and then wrapped with nori (seaweed).  My daughter couldn't  go past a display of them without grabbing one up.  Not too bad really, but I'd rather have a blt.
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:03pm
 SPAM TACOS MMMMMM
NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:32pm
if they could only  include a vaccine in spam....mmmm.....
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:09pm
 SEALBAY said< I've got it.  Take one canned ham still in tin, shove to bottom of large sock, knot end.

Use as weapon.>

It could be called "The Spaminator". lol I crack myself up.
sealbay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:10pm
That was priceless, Flick.

Sealbay
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 2:34pm
At first I wondered what the canned ham was being used for...

Then I got the idea that someone was sitting down with knife and fork to eat it AS IS. Ugh, I can't imagine that.  It ought to be OK when used in a dish for flavoring, such as soup or mixed in beans, but not as an entree in and of itself. I think it would be much to salty that way.

I don't think these are intended to be "sit down to sunday dinner for a roast ham" sort of ham, more like a few chunks in a bowl of soup or diced up in ramen noodles or a few chunks in a pot of beans type of ham.
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:15pm
seriously, for us little gals who don't have alot of power to back up  a swing , a ham  sockwich would put a hurtin on someone.
Dead

sealbay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:24pm
The Haminator/Spaminator sockwich--Flick I think you are on to something here.  I intend to keep my canned hams specifically for self defense purposes.

sealbay
sealbay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:27pm
ham as agent of whupa$$.  We are witnessing the true miracle of brainstorming here flick.

sealbay
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by bruss01 bruss01 wrote:

At first I wondered what the canned ham was being used for. I don't think these are intended to be "sit down to sunday dinner for a roast ham" sort of ham, more like a few chunks in a bowl of soup or diced up in ramen noodles or a few chunks in a pot of beans type of ham.

Originally posted by flick flick wrote:

seriously, for us little gals who don't have alot of power to back up a swing , a ham sockwich would put a hurtin on someone.    

Bruss,

How about the canned ham being used in split pea soup? I think that would be a nice dinner considering a pandemic.

Flick,

I'll stick to a gun for self defense. LOL.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:22pm
I had hoped to get one meal out of each ham and then have some left over for casserole, beans, soup, salad or such.  I have opened the ham and it is in the oven now.  I refused to open any other preps to try to bake it so i had to "make do".  I put cloves and a bit of butter on the top, some wee bit of lemon juice, molassas and blackberry jelly.  we will see how it tastes.  I must admit it did not look bad and was quite solid.
Ironstone
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:40pm
I used to get Dak hams years ago.  Recently, my Walgreen's Drugs sells the Primrose brand.  I don't remember about the Daks but the Primrose are moist without the jelly goop.   I opened one awhile back, thought it looked yucky but I was determined to use it for dinner.  Well, I tried a little slice.  Then everytime I went past the fridge I took another slice and pretty soon it was all gone.  That was a whole pound in one day.  Funny how thirsty I got. I like it now though. 
Please send me your ham, Spam and Dinty more stews!  I will pay postage.  Please don't use them for sockwhackers or whatever you were calling them.  LOL
Hey, maybe it would be more effective as a weapon if you take the ham out of the can and throw it at someone?  Just a thought.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:03pm
Hey!  I am not using the "jelly goop" for moisture!  It is to add a bit of a sweet taste to it like brown sugar and pineapple do.  I want a meal from it, not a snack and i want to do more than fry it for a slab.  The butter is to add some fat...normally i would use bacon grease but i have canned it all.  I am trying to be a gourmet cook and i get grief! lol
Ironstone
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:15pm
Results posted in preps.
Ironstone
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 7:45am
SEALBAY WROTE<ham as agent of whupa$$.  We are witnessing the true miracle of brainstorming here flick. >

sealbay
"Don't make me bust a Dak sockwich in your grill, dog!"
Oh the possiblities are endless, too funny.

I can  even add Designer socks to market to the more elite crowd. (snort)
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 8:10am
New and improve.......
NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 8:37am
LOL
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
sealbay View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 6:52pm
Flick, I am so liking the idea of designer sockwiches.  My GOd, think about support hose and those canned products you really don't like.

Seriously, when I had my first apt many years ago, I kept socks stashed around the house loaded with bolts and  a can of english peas.  I did use them once -- the creep thought i was nuts and was caught a bit off guard but I broke his hand and a table.

So there.

sealbay
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 6:58pm
Or stockings one in each leg. You could be like Bruce lee......"ENTER THE SPAMING".  
NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
sealbay View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sealbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 7:07pm
Or, season of the ham/spam.

Yep, I think one leg of the thick support hose filled with a canned ham and one filled with some other delightful deli and assorted and insundry whack material is a good thing.  I part ways with the actual panty hose concept though, and snip and knot at thigh.  You want to be able to control your trajectory.

flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:18am

Spamchukkas, in queen size reinforced pantyhose. In black of course.(Ninja style) However you must use the "Crane" stance for the correct trajectory, just think Ralph  Machio style.

Sealbay the image of you going Jet Lee on some guy with a pair of spamchukkas is just too much.LOL   HUaaahhh!

You guys crack me up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic