Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

WEAPONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WEAPONS
    Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:04pm
iI am a 70 year old widow, in good health and I live a very active life style. I am, like so many others here, worried about security, in case this dreadful BF comes.

I recently purchased a stun gun, but now see its limitations. I mean, you have to be almost on top of someone to use it. (I keep it in my car.)

I would like to purchase a rifle.  I am very responsible but have never shot a gun in my life. Would someone please advise me as to what kind/type would be most suitable for someone like me?

I am very serious. I know guns have been discussed here before, but this is a particular request .  I love this forum and read everything here everyday. You folks are wonderful. I have a feeling that this thing, if it comes, will arrive sometimes in September.

My love and best wishes to all,
Annie B.
tazman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:11pm
Try Dunhams (sporting goods store). They are very economical.
Email me your favorite links:My Email
Cocktail View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cocktail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:13pm
What do you mean by "active" lifestyle?   I think you should stick with your tazer.   Guns are very very dangerous!
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:22pm
Annie B-

For my single female family members I recommend a shotgun with a barrel as short as is legal in your state.

One that breaks (that is the barrel pivots downward where the shell is inserted) is ideal since you can be sure it is loaded and unloaded. This type of shotgun is very simple.

If you are not familiar with a gun this is important since many people accidentally shoot a gun when they are nervous.

12 guage is the normal size, but if it kicks too hard you can get a less powerful 16 or 20 guage shotgun. 

A shotgun is only good for close defense, but this is ideal for many women since they will only use it for close defense anyway. They are not looking to be a sniper at 1000 yards, but only to protect their home.

When it is time to shoot someone you will be nervous, and a shotgun shoots pellets in a wide pattern and up close it makes it hard to miss.The attacker will know that no matter how nervous you are, you will hit him if you pull the trigger. You can also point it around a corner and be sure to hit your attacker.

Be sure to practice with whichever gun you get, and learn how to clean it.

Do NOT buy a gun unless you are fully ready to kill. If you just try to bluff, the criminal will take it away and shoot you.

bruss01 is the website gun expert, he should respond soon.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 3:24pm
Here is the link in the forum under Priority Preparations that you can visit to learn more about self defense and discuss the topic with others. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:07pm
Annie B.

I concur with Jaxmax completely.  I have years of experience in law enforcemnt and SWAT.  A shotgun is the way to go for you.  Don't worry about the recoil, if you ever have to use it you won't even be aware  of the recoil.

A double barrel, or even a single shot shotgun, the breaks at the chambger is a good choice.  With a single shot you will probably have to pull the hammer back to cock the gun.  This only takes a second, and it a great safety feature - helps  to prevent accidental discharge.

By all means get some firearms training with gun you select.  If it's a shotgun, practice with birdshot.  Your gun dealer can fill you in on that, but the point is the recoil is very much less and will allow you practice alot without getting gunshy, and  birdshot is also a whole lot cheaper.  Once you are comfortable, and that means you've loaded, cocked and fired a lot of rounds, try a few with buckshot so you get a feel for the difference.  It's considerable.

If the barrel, as it is on most sporting shotguns, is too long to be manageable inside your home, just get somebody to saw it off with a hacksaw.  I recommend a barrel length of 18-20 inchesl.  Don't spend extra money on a short barrel shotgun, just saw it off.  (A cheap single shot shotgun shoud be very reasonable, so you won't be wasting money by sawing off the barrel).

Good luck! I admire your spunk!
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:22pm

Jax,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm no expert - but hopefully I do have a few helpful tips to pass along to the interested.

Annie, I would recommend going to a range with an experienced shooter to show you the ropes.  Hopefully you can have a chance to go to a range that rents various sorts of firearms, or else you have a friend or relative who has many types and styles of firearm you can try out.  They come in all shapes and sizes, and one size does not fit all.  It will help enormously to find a firearm that fits you. 

The type of firearm you choose for defense will depend greatly on yourself and your area.  For instance, one person might have trouble with shotgun recoil, and prefer a pistol, whereas someone else might have trouble with hand strength to work the slide on a pistol, and prefer the shotgun.  Usually a rifle is not used for defense, and there are strong reasons to recommend against a rifle in an urban or suburban setting.  If you are in a mostly rural area a rifle can be a good defensive weapon.

I do not like the idea of a break open shotgun.  Too slow for follow-up shots.  Will you hit everything that needs hitting with one shot on the first try?  Is it ok if you miss?  If both of these can be answered "yes" then a single-shot might be the answer, otherwise, don't.  Pump action shotguns offer several follow-ups, and the sound of racking of the slide is a universal language.  A semi-automatic firearm can be difficult for a novice to learn to use safely and well under a stressful defensive situation. A  pump action shotgun would probably be the best bet, although a revolver or a semi-auto handgun may be appropriate too if you try a few and feel comfortable with them. 

Please take a class and get in quite a bit of practice before considering your firearm "on" for defensive use.  The skill and experience of the person handling the firearm are more important than the firearm itself.  The NRA offers several wonderful classes, your local range can tell you where and when.

Jot me a PM if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help you on any particulars.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Snicklefritz Snicklefritz wrote:

I have years of experience in law enforcemnt and SWAT.  A shotgun is the way to go for you.  Don't worry about the recoil, if you ever have to use it you won't even be aware  of the recoil.

If the barrel, as it is on most sporting shotguns, is too long to be manageable inside your home, just get somebody to saw it off with a hacksaw.  I recommend a barrel length of 18-20 inchesl.  Don't spend extra money on a short barrel shotgun, just saw it off.  (A cheap single shot shotgun shoud be very reasonable, so you won't be wasting money by sawing off the barrel).

Snick -  I agree that in the heat of passion you won't mind the recoil.  HOWEVER - if the recoil is painful you won't want to practice, and people who don't practice aren't very good shots. While it's important to have a weapon that deals a decisive blow, I think it's just as important to have a weapon that the user is willing to practice with frequently in order to become skilled.  A 12 gauge is a great firearm but if it leaves a person black-and-blue and favoring one arm for a week, well, they won't be inclined to practice very often.  A hit with a 20 gauge or a handgun beats a miss with a 12 gauge any day.  What's the most effective gun you are willing to practice with regularly?  That's the question.

Another thought:  Some people wouldn't mind showing up to practice at a range with a home-chopped shotgun, but some people would be embarassed to pull a butchered gun out and go blasting away with it.  It's much nicer to have something shiny and new, and makes one want to take it out more often.  Would you buy a new car, take a hatchet to the front end, and then want to drive it around town for all to see?  I think we're all a little like this, to some degree.  Pride of ownership.  Especially important for one's first gun, I think.

Another point to keep in mind is barrel length.  I'm surprised you didn't caution her that cutting the barrel 1/4" too short is a FELONY VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW.  Do you know how to measure the barrel?  Really sure?  Better err on the side of caution, and then make it a completely indisputable margin for error.  I seem to recall some guy lived in a place called Ruby Ridge had a bit of a problem on that score... that kind of drama in our lives we can ALL do without!

And why hack a brand new shotgun up anyway, when short, 100% legal shotguns are available straight from the manufacutrer?  If one is really sold on a break open, there are some excellent coach guns available for the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS).  With or without external hammers, these can be defensively used.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 4:41pm
This is exactly what my brother bought for me.... he made me take a hunters safety course and I went target practicing with him for years.

Gun Saftey is very important and I really believe you should not get one if you are the type to panic...  I have a friend who shot his son... thinking he was an intruder.... just a cute little kid playing around!

Shoot first and ask questions later is a very BAD IDEA!

Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

Annie B-

For my single female family members I recommend a shotgun with a barrel as short as is legal in your state.

One that breaks (that is the barrel pivots downward where the shell is inserted) is ideal since you can be sure it is loaded and unloaded. This type of shotgun is very simple.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:00pm
A good shotgun home load, especially for someone 70 years old, is my favorite load for the house. You will need some help doing it, but I take a field load (light load) take a #4 buckshot load. Remove the buckshot and replace the bird shot in the field load shell.
Now you have a light loaded #4 buck which will do a number on anyone and not have much recoil.
Or buy a good 22 magnum rifle with at least a 10 round mag.
Thomas Angel View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Annie B. Annie B. wrote:

iI am a 70 year old widow, in good health and I live a very active life style. I am, like so many others here, worried about security, in case this dreadful BF comes.

I recently purchased a stun gun, but now see its limitations. I mean, you have to be almost on top of someone to use it. (I keep it in my car.)

I would like to purchase a rifle.  I am very responsible but have never shot a gun in my life. Would someone please advise me as to what kind/type would be most suitable for someone like me?

I am very serious. I know guns have been discussed here before, but this is a particular request .  I love this forum and read everything here everyday. You folks are wonderful. I have a feeling that this thing, if it comes, will arrive sometimes in September.

My love and best wishes to all,
Annie B.
My 2 cents?

.223 caliber semi-auto assault rifle with some large capacity magazines.   Minimum recoil.  You'll find it joy to shoot with and it's perfectly suited for your age and gender.

Good God, what's it coming to that I am giving firearms recommendations to 70 year-old widows?  I never thought this day would come...
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:11pm
TA, good for you for speaking up (even I have a bad mental image of an older person with *gasp* a evil black assault rifle.)  I agree--classes, classes, classes, Annie B.  I pretty much taught myself to shoot, but when I went through the CCW course, I learned soooo much, DH and I went back for more lessons!  Who knows, you may find you enjoy shooting--i did!  Best hobby ever!
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:17pm
Well, my  granny was shooting her gun in her 80's.  Her gun was a swedish mauser. i wish I had that gun. It was a joy to see granny shoot deer and wild pigs. She became the reason that I am alive today. she gave blood to save my life.  I think about her everyday and have her picture with the gun and a wild pig behind her. 
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:23pm
Komet,
Those old K98's were the stuff, huh?
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Jefiner Jefiner wrote:

TA, good for you for speaking up (even I have a bad mental image of an older person with *gasp* a evil black assault rifle.)  I agree--classes, classes, classes, Annie B.  I pretty much taught myself to shoot, but when I went through the CCW course, I learned soooo much, DH and I went back for more lessons!  Who knows, you may find you enjoy shooting--i did!  Best hobby ever!

Well, she asked for rifle, figured I would answer it the best I could for her.  God knows an 30.06 with limited capacity isn't worth a damn, and a shotgun bigger than a 4-10 can be pretty rough on someone here age and still lacks a decent capacity .

I'm kinda known here for "speaking up", lol!

As for the bad mental image?  Imagine a 70 year old widow at the mercy of some group of people with evil intent.  I think I prefer the idea of her standing her ground and slinging some lead their direction.Wink
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
asatrape View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asatrape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:40pm
I totally vote for a shotgun... and practice reloading as fast as possible.

You're a smart lady!
Frodo failed.... Bush has the ring.
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 5:44pm
scared? get a dog!   and some biohazard tape around the house and a couple of stuffed dead birds.
NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:12pm
Hey, Buss01,

Your right that a shotgun (especially a 12 ga.) can cause some pain if you fire it alot.  Please note that I recommended bird shot to practice with. Birdshot in a 12 ga. with a recoil pad won't hurt you.  Economically, it's hard to beat a used single-shot from a gun dealer, or even a pawn shop.

On the other hand, reloading is a problem.  But, God help her if she needs more than one shot.  In that case, she's in a real fire fight and her outlook isn't good anyway.

I love the sound a pump shotgun makes when you rack a round.  It has proven to quiet an unruly bunch of citizens on more than one occasion.  But, I believe in stealth.  The blast of the first round going off tends to get peoples attention too - if they're still standing.

Mostly, I agree with you though, especially when it comes to the idea of training.  Learning to funcitonally use a weapon is one thing.  Getting your mind right is another.  And when the S hits the fan, it's like the military says 'When the S hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion, you will fight the way you trained.'

Having had the experince of looking down the barrel and trying to decide wether to pull the trigger, and being blessed with never having had to,  I support training to the hilt, especially for safety reasons.

BTW, have you priced a manufactured tactical (short barrel) lately.  Wow!

If fate were to bring us together, I'd be happy to have you at my side.  Hope, we never have to face that.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:18pm
Ms. Annie B-

My great-grandmother agreed with us to give up her shotgun at the earliest of the following:

1. She could not drive a car anymore because of physical inability. If you do not have the physical capability to drive, generally you should not shoot.

2. She couldn't lift 15 pounds (two gallon jugs of milk).

3. She was on any kind of medicine that cause her to lose her judgment. You could be on medicine and shoot your grandkids.

Ask a relative, or someone at your church, or a close friend who hunts, to watch you shoot.

She lived to be 101, and kept her shotgun till 82.

Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 6:35pm
TA, totally with you on the bad image.  And your advice on the rifle is spot on.  I am just wondering is a day at the range with an instructor trying out different firearms might be the ticket for Ms. Annie B.  If you live in AZ, I can give the names of a couple of great CCW instructors (one is a retired DEA agent) who would be happy to help at a reasonable price.

Jefiner

bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 7:34pm
Annie,

As you may have guessed from the divergent replies, we don't have enough information to help you in your quest.

Thomas Angel recommends a .223 semi auto.  That would be an excellent choice for some circumstances... but there is a learning curve for a first time gun owner handling a self-loading rifle, and you would need quite a bit of practice to master both safe usage and the operation of the firearm.  And if you live on the 22nd floor of a hi-rise apartment building?  Perhaps there are better choices.  Most good .223 rifles are not cheap - what is your budget?  Do you have money for ammunition and classes to become thoroughly proficient with the firearm?  Maybe you are a healthy wealthy retiree who lives next door to the rifle range, or maybe you are a frail person on a fixed income and live 100 miles from the nearest range,
and can't drive.  We can't really tell from here, and these things DO make a profound difference.

A recommendation for a good rifle?  Sure, Easy.  A good recommendation for a specific person and/or a specific set of circumstances?  Now that takes a bit of thought, and some info on which to base the decision.

More information will get you better recommendations.

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 7:40pm
Jax, she is 70 years old and you want her to get a 12 gauge!?  What are you thinking? 
I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Charlie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:04pm
Some thoughts-  ALL shotguns hurl their payload at very close to the same velocity.  The difference is the weight of that payload.  A 20 ga. is much easier to handle than a 12 ga., but does the same thing.  Notice that ALL police use the pump action.  You recharge the chamber by "pumping" the smaller wooden part.  You can feed more shells at any time into the tubular magazine.  In all guages,  the actual number is the count of lead balls that it takes to make one pound.  A 20 ga. pump gun with "BB" sized shot is very nasty out to about 40 yards.  Alternate BB shot with rifled slugs, and you need to fear no man.  Very simple stuff.
     The real truth is that the Ruger 10/22 carbine is very hard to beat for self defense and foraging.  The 10 shot clips are very easy to change.  If you are shooting at a bad guy, aim for center of mass, and fire twice. with the Winchester 38 gr. hollow points.   He will stop being bad right now.
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:18pm
I own a 10-22, but had read somewhere that Ruger has a .22 mag version of the rifle.  Any knowledge on this?

BTW, the 10-22 is a bucket of fun.  DH and I pack a picnic lunch, throw the unruly labradors in the truck, grab a brick of .22 and go out for the afternoon plinking. 

Lunch: spam sandwiches LOL , iced tea and cookies $3.25
Gas:  $6.00
Picking off a Lipton's Ice Tea Can at 100 yards:  Priceless!!!
Jefiner

Spirit View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:23pm

Snicklefritz and T.Angel - you are both really great!!!

What cool advice. I am much younger than 70 (by 30 odd years) and I appreciate the info. I must go out and buy something to shoot with. I am left eyed and I have shot ground hogs before.  I shoot a 22 using my left hand. Is there a gun better suited? - Is that what you mean about the shotgun in the close confines of the house?

Pardon me for saying this but I'd like to do the job in one go. It 's enough of a shock when the groundhog jumps up and run just when you think you got it.  I'd hate that to happen in my house - (Sorry if this is too weird...) But when you mention a shot gun and buck shot, I think of Our VP's little hunting party in the bush and his poor buddy getting hit but making it just the same - I'm sorry but I dread being ineffictive.... ..And I would shoot to defend my kids.

cv1632 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cv1632 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:30pm
RE: "Some thoughts- ALL shotguns hurl their payload at very close to the same velocity. The difference is the weight of that payload. A 20 ga. is much easier to handle than a 12 ga., but does the same thing. Notice that ALL police use the pump action."

Not necessarily true. The heavier weight of a 12 gauge shotgun makes it much easier to handle the recoil over the lighter weight, but nearly as powerful 20 gauge shotguns.

Many police agencies also use the Beretta 1200 shotgun, which is a semi-automatic. I have one and it can shoot 8 rounds of Max-Load 00Buck as fast as you can pull the trigger. Further, it is bottom loaded so that you can also load as you shoot.
Why do some people Hate, with incredible passion, and yet without reason, consideration of fact, or any allowance for rebuttal. Father God, forgive me if I should ever be this intolerant of others.
andrew p View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:07pm
Someone posted a while back about recoil reducing stocks for shotguns, such as sold by Knoxx. Any opinions out there on these?
It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Spirit Spirit wrote:

Snicklefritz and T.Angel - you are both really great!!!

What cool advice. I am much younger than 70 (by 30 odd years) and I appreciate the info. I must go out and buy something to shoot with. I am left eyed and I have shot ground hogs before.  I shoot a 22 using my left hand. Is there a gun better suited? - Is that what you mean about the shotgun in the close confines of the house?

Pardon me for saying this but I'd like to do the job in one go. It 's enough of a shock when the groundhog jumps up and run just when you think you got it.  I'd hate that to happen in my house - (Sorry if this is too weird...) But when you mention a shot gun and buck shot, I think of Our VP's little hunting party in the bush and his poor buddy getting hit but making it just the same - I'm sorry but I dread being ineffictive.... ..And I would shoot to defend my kids.

At your age, an SKS or AK-47.  There's a forum at www.ar15.com which you will find quite enlightening on this subject.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 1:03am
TA,

I'm 5'4" weigh about 120 pounds.    What's the best gun for me?

I know absolutely nothing about guns.
The closest I have ever been to one was when I watched my father leave to go duck hunting.    I never thought that I would actually handle a gun much more own one.    But I don't want to be caught in a situation where I cannot defend myself.

Thanks a lot.

Sprit View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sprit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 4:27am
Thomas Angel said:
At your age, an SKS or AK-47.  There's a forum at www.ar15.com which you will find quite enlightening on this subject.

Oh boy T, Angel, Now we are talking business. (I don't know why I am laughing). I don't think the groundhog would be getting back up! Thanks.

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 6:09am
swankyc-

Thanks for the post.

70 isn't neccessarily feeble. I know several 70 to 75 year olds that do shoot them, particularly if they are in a rural environment.Also I mentioned she could go down to a 20 gauge or 16 gauge.

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Pebbles View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 6:53am
Annie B, you go girl!  Don't let your age hold you back, but I agree with classes and practice, practice, practice.  This happened several years ago. A woman in her late 70's lived alone in her small mobile home and she kept a handgun on her bedside table.  Sorry, but I don't remember what kind it was.  She was in bed and heard someone breaking in through her bedroom window.  Needless to say, she got him with one shot!    The people in the retirement communities out here in AZ went wild!  She was an instant celebrity and she is still my heroine.  For what it's worth, my husband and I are in our early 50's.  I'm disabled with Fibromyalgia and my husband has severe Osteoarthritis.  It's been over 25 years since we've handled weapons.  Our son, who is in law enforcement, recommended we get a Glock 40 and a shotgun with buckshot.  He will also train us.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 
Blackbird singing in the dead of the night. Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All my life. You were only waiting for this moment to arise.
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 7:29am
Welcome. I will only speak my own personal views and observations. I will bow to bruss as the authority on weapons n this forum.

Given your age and the consideration that you have limited familiarity with firearms, I would recommend the Ruger 10-22 as an ideal weapon for your use.

It is handy little carbine that comes stock with a 10 round magazine, and you can get aftermarket (recommend Ram-line) 25 round magazines.

I prefer to recommend rifles or shotguns to women specifically who have had little to no experience with firearms. in a confrontation situation, someone who is unfamiliar with those situations would tend to be frightened and hence to "shake" if you have a handgun, that shaking translates to a weapon vibrating. Bady guys see this and know they could potentially overpower you.

With a long arm (rifle or shotgun) you can hug that stock up close to your body and that holds things steady.  There are those that poo-poo a .22 as any kind of weapon for defensive purposes. I disagree. It has EVERYTHING to do with the comfort of the user. My Spousal has a .22 Walther P-22 (pistol). I would dearly hate to be on the receiving end of those 10 rounds. With a minimal recoil (kick) you can quickly send 8-10 rounds in the direction of the evil-doer (target) with little recovery time. With a big bore (like a .45) there is a pause after each shot for you to "reecover" and get sights back on target. A .22 puts that at a minimum. As a test, Spousal unit and I went to the range and the point was to see who cold "empty" faster and accurately. She atartled me by getting all 10 rounds into the "kill" area of a b-57 (Silhouette) target in the time it took me to get off 3 rounds of my .45. holding them all in the "center-mass" kill zone.

There is also the issue of economy. A "brick" of 500 .22 rounds costs about $10.00 as opposed to much higher costs for larger rounds. THe 10-22 runs about $180-$200 depending on the outlet. So for about $300.00 you get a reliable rifle, A 25 round magazine and 1500 rounds of ammo. Not a bad investment.

T/D
BiteMe3M View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiteMe3M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 7:40am
Annie B.....some advice to take to heart.  Not knowing you or your current state of health, I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST getting a gun for yourself.  While it may be a very good option for others, unless you are physically and mentally able to kill someone, then your own gun is likely to be used against you.  Ask any law enforcement official about these statistics.  My advice would be to adopt a dog from the local SPCA.  Working breeds are best as guard/watch dogs and can not only help protect you, but they can also add to your quality of life because of their companionship.  Only a determined felon will tackle a german shepherd, doberman, rottweiller, boxer, etc. and if they are willing to go that far, then you would be in trouble with a gun anyways.  My best recommendation is to get a boxer.  They are very easy to train, good with children and are exceptionally good at intuitively protecting their family.  The only downside is that they tend to jump a lot but good training can avert that.

Please, before you purchase a gun, talk with a police officer and ask them how many times a victim's gun is used on them.  Most people hesitate when confronting an intruder and that is all it takes to become disarmed.  It takes training to overcome this.  That is taught to police officers and special military personnel.  I hope you consider this advice and end up with a loving pet that will protect you.
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:04am
You are somewhat correct, but mostly wrong. LEO's (cops) are told to use statistics from studies that have been fully and completely discredited ( I retired as deputy chief of a small department 2 years ago) In the events that could collow a pandemic incident, there willbe NO law enforcement. If you think that those officers aren't going to be home with their families, you are sadly mistaken. I can speak from expeience from having to negotiate several "collective bargaining" agreements with the police union.
As far a canine goes, if the ka ka impacts the rotating air displacement device, they will be dispatched (shot) rapidly. You really need to waro your head around a bleak scenario before you start giving out suicidal advice. My take is that if this individual wants to acquire a weapon, that is their right and perogative.

T/D  
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:36am
Trident I love that 10/22. Check this weapon out if only it came in a bigger caliber.
NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:47am
You can probably handle anything you want.  There's really no "best weapon".  I prefer weapons that are durable, low maintenence, reliable, and have a maximum capacity both in terms of speed and knock down power.  I like the 9mm parabellums,the SKS and AK-47's if you really want tp plaster the sh*t out of something and destroy it completely.  You have to have the ability to put a lot of lead or steel out there in a short as period a time as possible.  7.62 x 39mm ammunition is pretty cheap, like 11-12 cents per round.  A case price ( 500 rounds) $60.00.  I don't know any other large bore rifle that you can stock 5000 rounds for with $600.00.

I often tell the ladies to buy a .380 auto ( pistol), for the sole reason that it fits their hands better than a 9mm.  (*Yeah I know the muzzle velocity is down a bit because of the barrel length, but big deal, eh?-  If you need to hit something any further out than about 50 feet, you should have slung that SKS off your shoulder and used it.)

Now I can type a lot on why I prefer the SKS and AK-47's over the AR-15, initial cost, durability in combat situations, cost of ammo, ease of conversions...all that stuff.  But hey, why not make up your own mind.  A good forum to hit is http://www.AR-15.com .  You'll find a lot of info on the SKS/AK's as well as AR-15.
Originally posted by Im Appalled Im Appalled wrote:

TA,

I'm 5'4" weigh about 120 pounds.    What's the best gun for me?

I know absolutely nothing about guns.
The closest I have ever been to one was when I watched my father leave to go duck hunting.    I never thought that I would actually handle a gun much more own one.    But I don't want to be caught in a situation where I cannot defend myself.

Thanks a lot.

I LIKE SCARY RIDES
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 9:34pm
Cocktail Posted "What do you mean by "active" lifestyle?   I think you should stick with your tazer.   Guns are very very dangerous! "

My reply:  The fact that guns are very dangerous IS THE WHOLE POINT"  How do you propose to defend yourself without one?

jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Cocktail Cocktail wrote:

What do you mean by "active" lifestyle?   I think you should stick with your tazer.   Guns are very very dangerous!

I don't think her age really matters in this situation, as long as she is physically and mentally able to handle a weapon and is willing to get the necessary training in regards to how to use the gun.  I know several people in or near their 70's who are extremely active and would have no problem at all using or learning to use a weapon.

spread_fear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spread_fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:06am
I own an SKS made by Norinco.  It is a Chinese version of the russian made AK-47 basically.  This is a highly deadly and accurate rifle that is easy to load, easy to fire and has very little recoil.  The ammunition is a high velocity 7.62mmx39mm.  Great for peircing light armor and is very leathal at close range.  You can carry more bullets than a shotgun and the ammo is cheaper.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 5:39am
I got my first 22 when I was 10 years old.  I still have it and I am now 74. I taught marsmenship in the Marines and still teach my grandchildren.  I still have my 45, but with a bigger magazine. The point of all this is.. I've been there and done that.  The two best posts are jackson and Trident /delta.  Only a foll disregards the danger of a 22. Stoping power may be weak but its easier for the elderly to control and when any gun pointed at you goes BANG, it scares the XXXXX out of you.Pray to God none of us ever have to use a gun.
flick View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 6:30am

I"m 5'51/4 and 120 lbs. I have a Colt Pony for my purse that I really like. It's small but does the Job.  I also took a CWC class when I purchased it.I was taught by my DH to shoot at a perp until the gun is empty. We have a trigger word in our family for intruder alert to avoid killing a family member. All members know what to do if the alert is sounded. Kids leave the house via a window or go under the bed  or in their closet  and to lay down on the floor if they can't escape un-noticed. Every closet in our house has a lock on the inside of the door. This is easy to do ,just install locking door knobs with the lock inside.In my opinion if a perp is in your house, all members are at risk  of death and everyone should escape the house if possible. If not, the adults must stop the perp from killing the other family members.

We also have four dogs that sound the alert if even a leaf falls on the yard.
We have a burgular alarm installed and armed, but if there is no power this form of protection is not viable.
A note about burgalar alarms: Ours went off when we lived in Miami. I had gone to the corner store. When I returned the alarm was blazing and the cop was standing in the front yard. When I asked him if he had checked to see if there was someone in the house he said "I'm not going in there, let's just wait and see if someone was comes out". He was afraid of my 25 pound Boston terrier.  He suggested I go in and see if anyone was in the house. So much for Law enforcement. By the way ,my dog had set off the motion detector when he jumped on top of the couch to look out the window.
A big dog is great protection, but a dog can be killed if a Perp means to get in your house. In my opinion you have to have back-up plans. Such as a firearm.
Annie and all you other gals out there: If you feel you need a firearm for protection ,get one. Get trained. If you have children, teach them Firearm safety and don't leave the firearm unattended. Buy a gun safe ,one that does not use keys. Keys get lost and take up too much time. Take a self defense course . There are courses designed specifically for women and anyone can do it.  The YMCA is where I went for mine. If nothing else, the course is a confidence builder that puts you in control of fear. A helpless woman is a supreme target for perps. An alert, confident woman has a chance to survive.
Some other tips for securing your home:
Bad dog signs, even if you don't have one.
Video surveilance signs, even if you don't have a system. You can get them at radio shack.
Alarm stickers on every window. You can get extra ones from your alarm company, or if you don't have system, ask a friend who does to get them for you.I even put  one on the mailbox.
Charlie bars on the sliding glass doors. I love these things .The only way for the slider to be opened is to break it.
Locks on every window. We also have metal bars to wedge in the frame ,if we are going out of town, to jimmy proof them.
Lock your gate!! always lock it. Get a big fence with the rungs on the inside. This makes it harder for a perp to scale the fence.
Motion detector lights, preferably solar.
Plant thorny bushes around your fence perimeter. I used Bougainvilla. It has very pretty flowers and huge thorns.

A Perp will choose the easiest target.
Make it hard for them and chances are they'll pick someone else.

Some folks might think I'm paranoid.
Ten years ago I was in the parking lot of the Grocery store in broad daylight. As I was opening my door to get in the car, a man came up behind me and tried to push me in the car. I braced my arm on the doorjamb and hit him in the face with my elbow of the other arm so hard, I
 broke his nose. I knock him to the ground. Blood was jetting out of his nose. I jumped in the car and locked the doors. I laid on the horn. He was not a small guy either. He got away ,but so did I. I was lucky that day, If he had grabbed me around the neck, I could not have fought back.  I had no training on how to get away.The worst part was that my infant son was in the car too. I get sick to my stomach thinking about what he would have done to the both of us.
After taking a self defense course and CWC classes I pity the fool who tries to hurt me again.
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 6:46am
I'M throwing a bunch of dead chickens around my yard that should deter any lootersLOL
NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:18am
  first off, don't bother with the taser.  they are EXTREMELY unreliable in their effect.  to paraphrase an amusing quote "if you ever tase me, and i find out i'll kick your ass"  actually that quote was about a 25 auto but it gets the point across. 

teh pump shotgun is a good choice, avoid 16 gauge as it has fallen out of favor in recent years and is becomming a difficult ammo type to find.  12 is good, 20 may be better if you are recoil sensitive.  i would suggest you find someone who has several firearms and try all of them that you can.  one of the most important parts of the equation is your comfort level with the weapon.  both physical and otherwise.  i have a very large collection of guns, and often like to buy new ones to try them out as it were.  i can tell you that you may have 6 guns on a table in front of you that are identical, same model and caliber etc, but you will pick up one that is somehow different.....better....more fitting to your hand.  don't know why this happens, but it does.  go to as many gun shops in your area as you can, don't buy at first, just handle them and check out the choices.  you may find something that really grabs you back.

all that said, the best gun is the one you can shoot well and have confidence in.  that's  the most important thing.  everything else will follow, with a little diligence that is. 

one thing that you need to address is your physical profile.  things like your hand strength, if you don't have a certain amount of hand strength, you'll have a hard time retracting a slide on a handgun.  that's another reason to handle as many guns as you can before buying.  a pump shotgun is a very good firearm for a person with minimal hand strength as it can be brought to bear with more than just your hands, and doesn't require a great deal of strength to load.  one thing to remember, don't listen to the gun store employees advice, they are just trying to sell a product and often they don't know squat about what they sell.  do your research and then make your own decision.  i would rather face a 20 year old incompetant gangbanger with a 44 mag than a 95 year old fart  who is competant with his 22.  EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!

on the subject of the statistics, the "shoot you with your own gun" thing is compleat bullsh*t, it wasn't even faulty statistical research, it was just a lie.  and even if it was real, i'd rather be shot after trying to defend myself than just lay down and take it.  the grit your teeth and take it crowd deserve nothing but contempt.  they're nothing but a resource for the predators.  so if any of the victim culture sob sisters wring their hands and whine at your choice to take responsibility for your own life and security,  pay no attention.  this sort of conduct should be noted....sort of like a warning label on a defective product
    "warning may come apart under light stress"
        all the best, pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 8:28am

Great post Flick.

You all keep thinking about these things, and make damn sure you are armed and can defend yourselves and your loved ones.  Nobody is going to do either for you when TSHTF.
I LIKE SCARY RIDES
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic