Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Suspected Bird Flu Case in Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspected Bird Flu Case in Scotland
    Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:34pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:48pm
From the link above:

Has Bird Flu Reached UK?

Updated: 20:32, Wednesday April 05, 2006

A suspected case of bird flu is being investigated in Scotland.

The Scottish Executive said preliminary findings indicated it was the H5 virus.

However, it is said to be too early to know if it the bird has fallen victim to the deadly H5N1 strain.

It is that type of the virus which has killed more than 100 people worldwide.

If confirmed, it would be the first case in the United Kingdom.

EU countries with confirmed cases of the H5N1 strain of the disease are: France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland, Greece, Italy, Hungary, Sweden and Denmark.

Beth View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:48pm
   Clap

Serves the Uk government right if its true.  They' been a good deal too smug.  Maybe they'll wake up now.
BTW I'm from the UK
sunny View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:53pm

Unhappy

calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:56pm
This whole H5N1 is out of control, reflecting back, we, here at  the forum some months ago, we used to speculate about how much infection had spread but undiagnosed, I guess now we are proved right.....it is all over.
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 2:13pm
Nah. Its just getting started. Probing our defences prior to the main event.
chargingbear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Scotty Scotty wrote:

Nah. Its just getting started. Probing our defences prior to the main event.

yes scotty me

and kirk are keeping a close eye  too see if its just around the corner.
Approve
and we got Dr. mccoy
 with his groovy looky assistant working on a britsh flu serum

as we speak.Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 2:36pm
Swan found with bird flu on farm in Scotland

Sam Jones
Wednesday April 5, 2006
The Guardian

Scientists and vets in Scotland are tonight carrying out urgent tests on a swan infected with bird flu. The bird, which was confirmed to be carrying the H5 strain of the virus, was found on a farm in Fife this afternoon.

The farm was quarantined in line with the emergency procedures agreed at EU level, and Cobra - the Cabinet Office emergency committee - was activated. A six-mile exclusion zone was set up around the farm.

Tests are being carried out tonight to determine whether the swan is carrying H5N1, the most lethal strain of the virus, which can infect humans. If it tests positive for H5N1, the swan would be the first bird in Britain to be discovered carrying the virus.

The prime minister, who is in Northern Ireland, was tonight informed of the development by the Scottish first minister, Jack McConnell. A Downing Street spokesman said: "We will just have to wait to see what the morning brings. We have put our emergency plan into procedure."

By coincidence the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs had earlier today been conducting its first national emergency simulation of its procedures in the event of a bird flu outbreak. The government has investigated 40 suspected cases of bird flu in the UK since January. Last month vets carried out urgent tests to determine whether 100 dead chickens found at an Orkney farm were the first in Britain to have become infected with the deadly strain of avian flu.

Steve Lister of the British Veterinary Poultry Association said tonight that the H5 strain had not been found in British poultry since late 1991, but that Defra had carried out tests on thousands of wild birds. Defra has so far been asked to investigate almost 1,800 reports of dead birds.

Virtually all bird flu cases so far detected in a dozen EU countries have been in wild fowl - and extensive precautions have been put in place to stop the spread to commercial bird flocks.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 3:19pm
Am totaly shocked - were an Island how can we get it here - oh well wait till the morning when you wake up it will all have been just a bad Dream.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 3:35pm
It has not been confirmed for N1 yet!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 4:42pm
Map of Scotland and location of Fife

http://www.maximized.co.uk/fifeguide/images/scotmap.jpg
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 5:27pm
Rick the link isn't working.

I emailed that reporter 2 weeks ago about the Scottish farm above, He did email me back to say that the tests had come back negative but they were waiting for results of what actually killed the hundred poultry.

Guess we know the true answer now. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic