Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

N95 versus N100 masks??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N95 versus N100 masks??
    Posted: April 10 2006 at 2:09pm
When I researched masks, it seemed to me the 3M N100 masks were superior to the N95 masks, as they filtered out 100% of all particles.  I bought them--a little more expensive, but literature said they could be used for several hundred hours each.  Nowhere on this site have I found anyone else that reached the same conclusion.  Everyone here seems to have bought the N95 masks.  Can someone inform me why that is so??  Yes, I know they are harder to fit and need a tight seal, but from what I have read, so do the N95's.  Any info on your personal decision making regarding this question would be appreciated.   
jpc
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 5:13pm

The N95s will do the job needed, and are cheaper than the N100s. If you have the money to spend on the N100s, go for it. I'm sure that when it happens, we will wish we had the very best, even tho what we have, will work.

As far as how long they will work, they are a mechanical filter, that is they do not use chemicals in the filter process. BUT, once contaminated with the virus, even on the outside, you might not want to wear them more than once.

Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:12pm
Mountainwinds is right on! Also, keep in mind persperation and ventilation/moisture.

The N-100 mask is more dense, hence harder to breath in for long periods of time. Because of this moisture will collect under the mask much faster. It is this reason I have add N-95 masks with respirator. It is almost summer and a wet mask is a worthless mask.

Hope this helps,
Scott
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
AnitaRNpulmo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 10:38am
perspiration is a problem for long time wearing; but  wetness for best masks is not a problem as soon it stays reasonable; respirators with attached filters do not have this problem, filters stay dry.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 1:03pm
The N95 is equivalent to the FFP2 grade mask.  Most European sources specify FFP3 masks for H5N1.  FFP3 is equivalent to the N99/100 mask.
AnitaRNpulmo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 2:48pm
I do agree
euroforce View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote euroforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:42pm
I have got the PPF3V class mask with exchange filters , i believe this is the best for the job , maybe i will get som one time use FPP3V so i can chuck them out and not have to clean them for virus.

I dont think FFP2 will be ok to use , i recommend that u all get at least N98 or FFP3V the V stand for ventilation and this stops moisture bulid up in the mask and makes it easier to breathe it.

AlaskaAquarian View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:00pm
Where did you all find these masks? Where can I get some?
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:21pm
good info--thanx so much
jpc
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 4:50pm
I got mine on Ebay (still havent arrived).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic