Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How to syphon??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to syphon??
    Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:37pm
Ok, everybody, how do you SAFELY do this????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:57pm
With a pump and not with your mouth.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 5:04pm
If you use your mouth, suck till the gas starts coming out, then spit..... several times. Gas does not taste good, but it won't kill you doing this.
Also make sure that what you are doing, does not cause sparks.
If it's water... no problem at all.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 10:06pm
ahh ... reminds me when I was young, and water going up my nose ...
(... choke, choke, cough ... sneeze!!)
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 10:27pm
Get a small diameter flexible see-thru hose from your local garden supply, used for fountains.  With that you can see the movement of the gas up the tube.  Pinch it off with your hand when it gets far enough out of the tank (this should be easier with a longish tube).  While pinched off (not allowing any air back into the hose from the exposed end), lower it into the container which you should have ready and low to the ground.  After the gas is flowing into the container you can set it upright. 

DO NOT EVER GET ANY GAS IN YOUR LUNGS! 

Unless in a dire situation this should not be done.  This is not a prticularly safe thing to be doing , and you might want to think about keeping some extra gas in a gas-can, they are safe.   Never store gas in just any old container. 

Edited by Ironstone - April 10 2006 at 10:31pm
Ironstone
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:05pm
The receiving container should be lower than the tank you are siphoning from. It flows much easier this way.
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 3:35am
How 'bout this: http://www.siphonsonline.com/?ref=googSiphons .

ETA You could also purchase a marine primer bulb and the appropriate hoses.

Edited by 2ifbyC - April 11 2006 at 4:04am
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 9:56am
Originally posted by 2ifbyC 2ifbyC wrote:

How 'bout this: http://www.siphonsonline.com/?ref=googSiphons .

ETA You could also purchase a marine primer bulb and the appropriate hoses.

There's always someone in the crowd that want to do it the easy way.

Edited by Mountainwinds - April 11 2006 at 9:57am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 10:19am
Thanks, everybody. Your good advice is very much appreciated.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Mountainwinds Mountainwinds wrote:

There's always someone in the crowd that want to do it the easy way.

Hey, my bod is 59 and my mind is still that lazy 13 year old! Wink

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 10:24am
Yeah me...I want to do it the easy way...Just order the 3 peice without hose because I have one and the hose attachment...

ThanksTongue
flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:16pm
Do you think an aqaurium hose would work?  They come with a bulb already attached to drain the water.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:33pm
Wal Mart has primer bulb siphons with tubing.

This is better though

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic