Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Sweets and treats to hide away....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweets and treats to hide away....
    Posted: April 12 2006 at 5:35pm

I kinda looked but didn't see anything specific about treats to hide.  I have just started squirreling some stuff away.

One thing that I got today was some of those little apple sauce cups that come in all kinds of flavors and suspicious looking colors.  The ones I got only had a best by date of 9 months out but I didn't grab the ones in back of the pile.   I got the mango/peach applesauce and tried one.  Well, they are now in the fridge - what is left of them.  Gotta eat at least 3 of them you know.   I wish that flavor came in big glass jars!  Got some of the jello with fruit ones too.   No refridgeration required but keep in a cool place.

I packed away pint canning jars filled with cherry cordial Hershey kisses (I hope I am not repeating myself)  and Hershey Special Dark minis. 
I also stocked Nutella chocolate/hazelnut spread, tubs of marshmallow fluff to go with the peanut butter.  Now if I could only figure out how to store graham crackers!!
Next is Pringles.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 5:43pm
I have 25 cans of Pringles.......shelf life to 05/07......Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Thordawggy Thordawggy wrote:

Now if I could only figure out how to store graham crackers!!

Next is Pringles.

I wonder how Vacuum sealing would work.  Box and all so they did not get crushed.  I dont have a vacuum sealer (yet), but can see alot of use for it.
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 5:50pm
Hmm....I might try the vacuum packing or get some of those mini grahams in animal shapes or whatever they are and use them for dippers.  They just might stay as fresh as those year and a half old Cheese Nips Odd Parents that I just started  using.  Very crisp and fesh still.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 6:40pm
Don't forget the candy sales, next week!
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:07pm
yes, get some SAFE cadbury eggs Big smile  yum
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:23pm
Hmmm......how many Cadbury eggs would fit in a quart jar?  Or, better yet, how about those Russel Stover chocolate coconut birds nests with the little eggs in them?  Yum yum yum yum........

And don't forget the peeps!  (I bite they tiny heads off, I nibble they tiny feet.)   They might be good melted on some graham crackers with chocolate too.
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:48pm
sheesh Peeps don't have feet!! Eat the ears off one at a time.
Glad Readymom reminded us of the after Easter sales, I had forgotten all about "the goodies" totally.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:01pm
Got some tinned Christmas candy and i want those Cadbury caramel eggs.  Hoping to put them in some half gallon jars and vacuum seal them
Ironstone
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:05pm
Gimme - What!?!  They don't have feet?  Maybe that wasn't a peep after all. 
You are right about Readymom.  Thanks mom.  Get the chocolate first! 
Walgreens is open 24 hours.  I wonder when the chocolate goes on sale.  Maybe Sunday night.  Maybe I will call and ask them.  Or, leave for work at 5:30  instead of 6:00 on Monday morning and make a stop over first.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 10:24pm
I have 4-16 quart containers, full of candy. I have maybe 20 big bags of chips, containers of popcorn, trail mix, and boxes and boxes of hot chocolate.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:50am
MY prep Nutella got eaten!!! Darn, gotta get more, lots more!!!!!!!!!!!
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:53am
Oh yes Cadbury Eggs - now whats going to be the best way to store these - if they last till a pandemic startsWink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Thordawggy Thordawggy wrote:

And don't forget the peeps!  (I bite they tiny heads off, I nibble they tiny feet.)   They might be good melted on some graham crackers with chocolate too.

Just don't try and vacuum seal the peeps.  Marshmallow expands under a vacuum.  One peep would fill a quart jar!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:27am
 And don't forget the peeps!  (I bite they tiny heads off, I nibble they tiny feet.)   They might be good melted on some graham crackers with chocolate too.     LOL!  You reminded me that I got a version of this in my mailbox, yesterday:  Happy Easter! 
[/QUOTE] 
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 8:18am
I just found a couple things that I had put away for Y2K....a Little Debbies Oatmeal Creme cookie, that was in its original wrapper and inside a plactic food container...and it was ok....same with a tube of Pringles...amazing.   
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:16pm
Tea4Two - thanks for the reminder about the Little Debbies!  The oatmeal cream cookies are one of my favorites, along with the chocolate Swiss rolles and the jelly rolls with the white frosting.  I wonder if they will hold up as well?  Maybe I will freeze them for now and then take them out if we loose electricity.  Nah!  If I put them in the freezer I will run across them all the time and they won't last at all.  I will get some goodies for the freezer though.  Like those Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches and some flavored coffee creamers.
Oh, and don't forget the Chef Boyardee pizza kits.  The sauce has tons of big chunks of pepperoni.  Make them on the grill or oven.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 6:34pm
Biscotti, canned nuts, Treacle Cake in a can, Giardelli brownie mix, cherry and blueberry pie fillings, Poppy****, popcorn, instant puddings, instant cheesecake, pringles, olives, pickles all in preps.  I like my treats.

(thats not a bad word, tis a product name)
Ironstone
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 7:14pm
Poppy ****!   Heheh.  That is funny.  Gotta spell it differently I guess.  Poppy Kock.  Did that work?  Love that stuff.  And thanks for the reminder about the instant cheese cakes.  I will set in a cool place.  Love it with blueberry pie filling on top.
Poppy Kok.  LOL
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 8:12pm
Thordawggy,
I've been thinking about treats like the Little Debbies and Pringles, and I know there are some that I can't 'eat just one'. I'd eat three or four or more. They wouldn't last long. There are certain kinds of candy that do that too...they hit my taste buds and create a craving. One of the ways I work with cravings, is instead of telling myself I can't have that chocolate or whatever, I make a habit of grabbing a few green olives first and eat them all at once. Wow...after that shock to the taste buds, most of the time, the sugar craving is gone. I had good success with this when I wanted to lose some weight.

I actually asked my doc about this, and he agreed that if you crave sugar, eat something opposite, something sour and it will cancel the craving.

This might help us to 'extend the shelf life of our treats'....how long they stay on the shelf before we eat them'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic