Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

canned butter??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuckoo2255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: canned butter??
    Posted: April 17 2006 at 12:43pm

can any preppers tell me where i could purchase some canned butter?

i live in the uk and cant find any.
thank you
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 2:22pm
Internetgrocers.com has it available.  Or, you can put it up yourself.  Frankly,  I have put up quite a bit of it and after trying some that had set for month or so, I was not completly pleased with the result.  The boiling seems to change the taste.  I'll probably just clarify it and use it for cooking.
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 2:59pm
I am all ready to can butter but there have been some posts warning against it due to botulism. Can anyone shed light as to whether this is a safe thing to do. Also, I have salted butter. Will the canned butter be too salty. If so, anyone know of what kinds of stores carry unsalted butter (preferably in bulk, but that is probably too much to ask for). Thanks Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 3:18pm
Got my unsalted butter at Sams.
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 3:51pm
When I canned my first little batch of butter, I had a little leftover that didn't fit into my prepared jars so I put it in a frig container to be used up.

Aside from the slight separation in some of my jars because I was busy and didn't shake them often enough as they were chillin in the frig - I did notice that the butter is saltier.

My husband will probably love it and want me to can it all the time for that reason alone. He likes salty.

You might be happier with unsalted butter.

ps - I did order a case (36 cans) of the canned cheese from internet grocer because they said it's real cheese that can be sliced, grated and kept indefinately without refrigeration. It was a little pricey, but cheese is so versatile that I rationalized the expense.

I thought their butter was too expensive though. We'll manage with the home canned butter for things that must have butter and use lard, crisco or olive oil for cooking and baking.

I hadn't heard anything about potential botulism with home canned butter. I always toss anything that reacts strange when I open it or smells off, whether it was commercially canned or home canned.

If something rises when you open it, fizzes, smells off or tastes off - just toss it to be safe.

Edited by oknut - April 17 2006 at 3:57pm
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 4:41pm
For the butter to be safe ALL THE WATER MUST BE BOILED OFF.  Without water the pathogens will not grow.
Ironstone
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:38pm
Buzz posted a very knowledgable warning on 3/31 about the hazards of home-canning butter. Please use your search feature to look it up! (He convinced me!)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 12:57pm
Waitrose and Sainsbury's sell Lakes Pure Butter Ghee in 500g cans. Plastic reclosure cap included.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:26pm
We canned butter but dumped it after the warning about botulism.

I'd really like to find a way to do it that would be safe.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 5:30am
The food thread has a lot about canning butter.  I just canned my first 2 batches of 1/2 pint jars.  Now, after reading this, I'm a little concerned.  Can any of you read through that thread and let me know what you think, please. -k
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 5:36am
I opted out of canning butter, I made Ghee instead and I feel it is safer, peace of mind anyway.
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 6:14pm
Oknut - I got some of the canned cheese from Internet grocer.  The texture is like American cheese slices but in a solid block. You know, that kind of shiny, slightly rubbery thing.  It is white and has a slightly sharp taste.  It is not a hard cheese but not soft like Velveeta.  After I got used to the texture I really liked it.  I kept picking on it all day long and then melted some on Triscuts.  Yum!  I had to hide the rest of the cans. 
The butter has a strong taste and more yellow  like home made years ago.  The taste changes with whatever the cows are eating.  My husband didn't like it but I did.  When I used it up and went back to regular butter, the regular butter seemed rather bland.  During a SHTF scenario it will be a luxury.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 1:13pm
Just an FYI, the internet grocer is not selling the canned butter right now because the supplier quit.
CFox View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 9:50pm
I'm suprised more dont know about this.

You can purchase dried butter in a can at this website.

I just bought a can last month.  I also bought two large cans of dried eggs there too.

Happy purchasing!  Wink
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:48am
CFox,

Don't know how I missed that powered butter during my searches. Got a couple on order to backup my home canned supply.

Thanx! Clap
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by CFox CFox wrote:

I'm suprised more dont know about this.

You can purchase dried butter in a can at this website.

I just bought a can last month.  I also bought two large cans of dried eggs there too.

Happy purchasing!  Wink

So how do you fry an egg in powdered butter?

I can't imagine it on toast, either.
Thordawggy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thordawggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 8:12pm
I have heard that powdered butter is less than palatible.  However, I don't know that myself.  I guess it might be better than not having any.
I think that ghee might be better.
Since I only have 5 cans of the internet grocer butter, I will have to come up with something else too.  However, there are a few pounds of regular butter in the freezer to use first. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:05am
Hey, Bruss01, nice to see you here. Have missed your contributions!
I'maprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I'maprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:36pm
The internet dash grocer dot com may sell you some butter and it looks great but my hunky hubby said he would do without it for the duration rather than eat it.  I wouldn't  try it but he did.  We'll give it to the kids- they'll eat anything.  :-)  It smells kinda' like corn oil??  I don't feel good about canning butter because of the risks-even ghee could be dangorus.   So I guess we will do without.
Be a good Scout. Be prepared- for anything.
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:49pm
I have canned butter and also made ghee. As long as you cook all the water out of it, and you'll know the water has cooked away when it stops steaming and starts sizzling, it is safe. Seal it in hot sterilized jars. I have put all of it in the fridge and will use the butter first and the ghee later.
You can also use canned butter and ghee for butter lamps, just melt the ghee and dip a cottonball in it that has a twisted area for a wick. Let it harden and then light it.
Tea4Two View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:52pm
cuckoo,
Try Indian grocery stores (ghee) and health food stores.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic