Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Bird Flu Family Cluster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsybeach1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird Flu Family Cluster
    Posted: April 18 2006 at 9:56pm
   This is from the Jakarta Post

Family 'infected' with bird flu

BANDARLAMPUNG, Lampung: A family of five was admitted to Abdul Moeloek hospital in Bandurlampung on Sunday, all suffering from suspected bird flu.

The family -- Abidi, the husband and his wife Sarmawati, both 52, and three of their six children, Septi, 12, Fitri, 8 and Putra, 5 -- are now being treated in an isolation room. The five have all demonstrated a high fever and a cough, symptoms of the deadly bird flu.

Sarmawati has been treated at the hospital since last Thursday. Her other three children had been diagnosed with bird flu earlier. Mohtar Rozi, 15, died March 31, and Betharia, 19, died April 4, while Bakhrudin, 26, is still being treated at the hospital.

Both Mohtar and Betharia died at home before they could be sent to the hospital. Their parents had limited funds and knew little about the virus.

Laboratory tests on drug samples taken from the patients confirmed Bakhrudin, Septi, Fitri and Putra were infected with the bird flu virus, while Abidi and Sarmawati were negative, according to data from the Lampung health office.

In 2004 at least 1.83 million hens in nine regencies throughout Lampung province died, possibly from bird flu, and last year the virus killed another 4,305 hens in the province.

Seven other suspected bird flu patients had been admitted to Abdul Moeloek hospital before the family. After appropriate medical treatment, all recovered. -- JP

Edited by gypsybeach1 - April 18 2006 at 9:58pm
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:14pm
Did i read that right?  Parents with BF and 2 of their children died and 4 others are ill, 3 of them in the hospital and one at home?  That is a pretty big cluster and they were not all ill at the same time which could indicate H2H transmissione...big news.
Ironstone
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:28pm
the article says that 7 other people had been admitted earlier. I wonder if they got tested??
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:34pm
No, I believe it says that parents tested negative for BF but parents and three younger children all have same BF-like symptoms and are in isloation The three older children all tested positive previously: Two older (15 & 19) children died of BF at home before others went to hospital; and one older (26) is still in hospital being treated. Either way, it is still alarming.    

Edited by Kelly - April 18 2006 at 10:35pm
PacificNorthwes View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PacificNorthwes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 1:15am

In my hour by hour vigilance of monitoring world news for a H2H outbreak, this type oe event is what I am watching for.

I will have a hard time accepting that this family is not experiencing H2H, even if later reports are that this family was all infected from the same source...a sick bird.

Gravitation View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 1:37am
Hmmm pretty bad this one. Thanks for working it all out Kelly. I read it three times and didn't have a clue.

Grav.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 4:23am
Have any of these people in this cluster already been counted in the WHO total?  This is the worst post I've seen so far.  What about the 7 others who had previously been treated and released, has that ever been reported? 
The parents testing negative is a big red flag especially since they had symptoms.  This seems to show that the test doesn't give accurate results.  Even worse if it is accurate, we have regular flu and H5N1 in the same house.  Either way this is a worst case scenario.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 4:40am
The last time the WHO updated their site was 6 days ago! How do we know the offical spead or concern when it takes so long to post the news. I also wonder what is happening in small towns and villages that go unreported. The two types of flu is worrisome.
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 4:45am
I wonder how many situations like this have not been reported or were reported with slants to keep them from looking like H2H.

I'm sure that no nation wants to go on record as being the first spot of official H2H2H transmission.

Between the "don't worry, be happy" media campaign, the rumors about situations in China, the lack of reported human cases in Africa and everything else that does slip out - you have to wonder.

Would mutations in the virus impact the ability for current tests to detect it?

So many questions....
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 6:02am
Good Post. But it was also posted at 4am this morning.
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 6:29am
I went to the Jarkarta post and can't find the story.  Has it been removed from the news.  Could somebody tell me where to find the correct link?
Sheba View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:20am
Which story is true?

Copyright © 2006, Dow Jones Newswires

JAKARTA (AP)--Indonesia is winning its fight against bird flu and expects to be free of the killer virus by 2008, the agriculture minister said Tuesday.

"During the rainy season, bird flu cases did increase, but in general, cases both in humans and animals are declining in Indonesia," Anton Apriyantono told reporters in Jakarta. "This is because we have gained experience and are capable of fighting bird flu in better ways."

Indonesia's rainy season normally lasts from October to March.

Apriyantono's assessment comes despite a steadily increasing case load of human casualties.

According to the World Health Organization, 31 people have contracted bird flu in Indonesia since 2005, and 23 of them have died - the second highest total for any country, after Vietnam.

The disease also remains endemic in chicken flocks across the sprawling country.

However, Apriyantono was upbeat.

"We are on a declining curve," he said. "I'm still optimistic that Indonesia will be bird flu-free by 2008. We will boost cleaning-up efforts and vaccination drives."

The bird flu-causing H5N1 virus has killed 109 people in nine countries, mostly in Asia, according to the WHO, and has killed or prompted authorities to destroy 200 million birds.

Sheba View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:26am
I found the article from another source....

Metrotvnews.com, Banda Lampung: the Patient suspect bird flu in Banda Lampung, Lampung, improved to five people.They came from one family.This new patient was Habidin and his three children.Since Ahad (16/4), they were treated in the Abdoel Moeloek Hospital, Banda Lampung.Whereas one patient still is Sarwati, the wife Habidin that also your mother Fakhruddin that died because suspect bird flu.Habidin and his three children lived in the Tanjungratu Village, the Ketibung Subdistrict, Lampung South.Since five days set, Habidin and his three children, that is Septi Herliani, Fitriyani and the Superior Echo of the son complained suffered hot high.They also suffered breathless and laryngitis, resembled the bird flu sufferer.Habidin was treated in Isolation Space with Sarwati.This Habidin wife entered the hospital since Tuesday set together Fakhrudin, their eldest child.Fakhrudin died on Friday set.Beforehand two children Habidin and Sarwati, that is Mohtar Rozi and Betharia also died because of the same sign.(DEN)

http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=14903

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:27am

Link to Bird Flu Cluster story

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20060419.D06&irec=9

Dr. Niman may have some commentary on this and the OIE report shortly.

I expect a number of followup stories from other media outlets very soon.

Thanks for the postings.

Edited by Rick - April 19 2006 at 7:36am
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:31am
We need to be on the lookout for 2 items:

First,the WHO report called the OIE. This will be the written notification from India to the WHO and is required.

Second we need to Monitor ProMed the physician only site of the International Infectious Diseases, thye usually beat the WHO in reporting.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:55am
The fact that the parents tested negative for H5N1 (yet still displaying symptoms) and the children positive, doesn't need to mean that the testing is done wrong, nor that there is regular flu together with H5N1. I mean it could be, but since it were the parents, i.o.w. the older ones, that tested negative, couldn't that mean that their bodies might have responded differently when exposed. I mean there are so many unknowns. Did they all get tamiflu? I hope we get to hear more on how this developed and develops now...
Sheba View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:00am
Indonesian dies of bird flu
2006-04-20
INTERNATIONAL tests have confirmed an Indonesian man who died earlier this month had bird flu, raising the sprawling country's death toll from the virus to 24, the health ministry said yesterday.

Indonesia's bird flu case load is the second highest in the world after Vietnam, and the country is logging cases faster than anywhere else, leading some international health experts to say it could do more to battle the virus. Source of the infection was not known. The disease is rampant in poultry in Indonesia.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:04am
Rick,

Thanks for the link! 

Angie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:10am
Grace, there seems to be many false negative tests that are changed later (usually after the person dies and an autopsy is done). I am not sure why this occurs - maybe a shift in the viral load (when you first get ill, the virus is located and replicating more in the throat and as the flu progresses, it goes to your lungs and replicates there. This might explain why throat swabs may not provide accurate test results, depending on which phase of the flu the person might be going through).
Smaug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smaug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:36am
Time to worry big time.  This may be the start of major H2H transmission. DeadDeadDead
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:42am
I wonder too if it's some kind of "carrier mode" that the tests don't pickup the H5N1 in some of the family members??
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 11:55am

Thanks for the input Sniffles. It would be interesting to see if the false negative tests that are changed later (usually after the person dies and an autopsy is done), have a correlation with age. Maybe in older people it doesn't come on as strong as kids. Or like a longer incubation period or carrier mode like Gimme said.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:15pm
I'm wondering IF, BIG IF, it had mutated and gone H2H, would the existing tests be able to detect it, or come up as a false negative?   Hmmmmm
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:20pm
Good question twoolf.

If they can't create a vaccine until they know what the virus will look like when it's mutated, maybe an evolving virus isn't detected by tests that worked before.   

Just too many suspiscious illness and death.
I imagine there will be a lot of lives lost to the virus that never get into the totals.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:25pm
Good question, are they only testing for H5N1, or also for any similar closely related virusus (or is that even possible?).  If it's mutated people might test negative for H5N1, yet it IS the new H2H influenza that doesn't show up.. Or do they know how to spot any mutations of H5N1?( Maybe I have a whole wrong picture of how this works..)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 1:27pm
Who and Cdc updates are in today as well as a few pd files to download.
current status

196 infected 110 deaths    
Capricornmonkey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capricornmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 3:13pm
Your very welcome, Gravitation.  It isn't a very well organized story, but I got to the bottom of it.   Wink  I am wondering if parents results are false negatives?????  Or if the mutation of the BF virus causes a negative result..like was mentioned and questioned above.  Questions..lots of them.  Scary stuff. 

Edited by Capricornmonkey - April 19 2006 at 3:14pm
March to your own drummer.   
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:15pm
We have to be at level 4
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:22pm
The WHO will never call a level 4.  Nations will not allow it to do that.  You see what has happened in so many places...one dead bird is not a danger...the chicken and egs are safe....we have no human cases.  Take your pick, Western countries or Eastern countries, none will allow it.  It means the closing of some boarders and that puts a crimp in food and other supplies.  It will man people are unemployed and the national economies will suffer.  We will go from level 3 to level 6 with no steps inbetween.
Ironstone
gypsybeach1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsybeach1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 9:28pm
sorry I didn't link the above story.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20060419.D06
Capricornmonkey View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capricornmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 9:47pm
It is concerning, also, that the older child also died.  He was the one that was still being treated.  He must have died today.  ???  I hope that the story will continue to be updated.
March to your own drummer.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:03pm
Clusters like this one are what to look for and then if its person-to-person or all from infected chickens or fowl.

Realistically, the virus is mutating and Indonesia has a nasty clade of the bug 24 of the 32 infected have died which makes Indonesia very dangerous and close to Australia.

The real watch though is other people around the family - neighbours friends and the Doctors and Nurses treating them.
Frisky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:50pm
   This is almost certainly false negative testing of  the parents. Initial false negatives are common. The probability they have a different strain of flu than BF is extremely remote. The probability of two persons such as this dying from regular flu is almost nonexistent.   ER Doc
It is better to give than to receive.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Ironstone Ironstone wrote:

The WHO will never call a level 4.  Nations will not allow it to do that.  You see what has happened in so many places...one dead bird is not a danger...the chicken and egs are safe....we have no human cases.  Take your pick, Western countries or Eastern countries, none will allow it.  It means the closing of some boarders and that puts a crimp in food and other supplies.  It will man people are unemployed and the national economies will suffer.  We will go from level 3 to level 6 with no steps inbetween.

I have to agree with Ironstone, too many times in history our Goverment has controlled not only the media, but the medical world too. back in 1918 as the body carts were coming through towns collecting the dead they were still telling people not to catch  " Spanish Histeria". I don't believe for 1/1000000000 of a second that it will be any different today. It is going to be up to each one of us to watch events, news as well as read between the lines. (e are already doing that) And to be prepared.

Edited by jo007athome - April 20 2006 at 7:01am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 8:17am
From JaxMax
We need to be on the lookout for 2 items:

First,the WHO report called the OIE. This will be the written notification from India to the WHO and is required.

Second we need to Monitor ProMed the physician only site of the International Infectious Diseases, thye usually beat the WHO in reporting.

Do we have anyone on the site who can monitor ProMed and report to us?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 8:18am
QUOTE=Kilt
"Clusters like this one are what to look for and then if its person-to-person or all from infected chickens or fowl."

They must've gotten it from each other. They all got sick at different times, the 15 year old daughter already passed away on March 31st, while these five were admitted to the hospital on Sunday April the 16th (with other kids getting sick and dying in between that time period). Or they got it from more than 1 infected birds maybe. I hope we hear more about the circumstances..
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:17am
Jo007, I don't wish for anyone to think that i am blaming any one government for the WHO decision.  The WHO is a political organization and as such will do what the UN wants them to.  If a stage 4 is called it will mean many things are no longer bought or sold between nations and that would cause terrible hardships on their governments. 

Much as we would like to believe that money does not matter, it does.  Each of us rely on money to pay bills, but food, provide housing ,and for many that would not be possible with an embargo against products and/or travel. 

My personal opinon of wht the US has done so far is better than most.  There is a concerted effort mounted to warn people that they must prepare and the Feds cannot/are not able to ride to their defense.  Other nations have handled it by denial, news blackouts, selling information for profit, witholding bad news. 

It may be that once it hits the Americas the same things may happen.  But right now the US seems to have the only government that has said "You're individuals and you must prepare yourself in case it happens.  It will arrive and we are trying to protect the food source.  It may jump to people, just be ready." 

I for one, am rather glad to be handled as an adult.  The information put out by Leavitt makes it easier to convince others there may be a danger.  Yes, there is a lot of "sea-sawing" but Leavitts organization has remained on target.  We are luckier than most.

This cluster looks to define what the WHO calls stage 4 but the danger of destroying economic, political and individuals is too great.  Most of those individuals  are hard working people just trying to make ends meet.
Ironstone
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:43am
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases

In this update:

[1] & [2] China - 17th case, 11th fatality
[3] & [4] Indonesia - 32nd case, 24th fatality
[5] Sudan - 1st suspected human case
[6] Pakistan - 1st 3 suspected human cases

[1] China - 17th case, 11th fatality
Date: Tue 18 Apr 2006
Source: Today Online, Singapore, 18 Apr 2006 [edited]

China Confirms New Human Case of Avian Influenza
-----------------------------------------------
China has confirmed its 17th human case of avian influenza, reporting
an urban case that suggested the virus might be gradually spreading
to the cities. The patient is a 21-year-old man who was employed as a
migrant worker in the large industrial central city of Wuhan, the
ministry said Tuesday [18 Apr 2006] on its website. He started
showing symptoms on 1 Apr 2006 and was diagnosed with the potentially
lethal H5N1 strain on Monday [17 Apr 2006], according to the
ministry. He is currently hospitalized in Wuhan, where doctors
describe his condition as "critical," the ministry said.

Local authorities have undertaken the prescribed safety measures,
placing under observation all people who have been in close contact
with the patient, it said. It added that so far none of them has
shown any abnormal symptoms.

Up until now, the virus is known to have killed 11 Chinese among more
than 100 people worldwide. The new case could confirm a trend for
bird flu, so far mostly a rural problem in China, to be gradually
spreading to the cities.

A 32-year-old man's death in the southern city of Guangzhou in early
March 2006 was believed to be the 1st human bird flu case in an urban
area in China. China later recorded one other case in a city, that of
a 29-year-old woman who died in Shanghai on 21 Mar 2006. The recent
human cases have come despite no reports of fresh outbreaks among
poultry since late February 2006.

China's chief veterinary officer said earlier this month [April 2006]
that there was now little risk of a massive bird flu outbreak this
year due to intensified poultry vaccination efforts. The upbeat
assessment contrasted with Agriculture Minister Du Qinglin's warning
in February 2006 of possible "widespread outbreaks" of bird flu
during the spring bird migratory season.

--
ProMED-mail

[2] China - 17th case, 11th fatality
Date: Wed 19 Apr 2006
Source: World Health Organization (WHO), CSR, Disease Outbreak News,
Wed 19 Apr 2006 [edited]

China: Avian influenza Situation - WHO Update 9
As of 19 Apr 2006, the Ministry of Health in China has confirmed the
country's 17th case of human infection with the H5N1 avian influenza
virus. The case occurred in a 21-year-old male migrant worker
employed in Wuhan City, Hubei Province. He developed symptoms on 1
Apr 2006. He is presently hospitalized in critical condition.

The man's source of exposure is under investigation. No poultry
outbreaks have been reported in Hubei Province since November 2005.
His close contacts have been placed under medical observation.

To date, China has reported 17 cases of H5N1 infection. Of these, 11
have been fatal.

--
ProMED-mail

[The location of Wuhan can be seen at:
- Mod.RY]

[3] Indonesia - 32nd case, 24th fatality
Source: World Health Organization (WHO), CSR, Disease Outbreak News,
Wed 19 Apr 2006 [edited]

Indonesia: Avian influenza Situation, WHO Update 10
As of Wed 19 Apr 2006, the Ministry of Health in Indonesia has
confirmed the country's 32nd case of human infection with the H5N1
avian influenza virus. The case occurred in a 24-year-old man from
Tangerang, near Greater Jakarta. He developed symptoms on 29 Mar
2006, was hospitalized on 5 Apr 2006, and died on 8 Apr 2006.

His source of exposure is presently under investigation.

Of the 32 laboratory-confirmed cases in Indonesia, 24 have been fatal.

--
ProMED-mail

[4] Indonesia - 32nd case, 24th fatality
Source: The Jakarta Post, 19 Apr 2006 [edited]

Indonesia: Family Infected with Avian Influenza
A family of 5 was admitted to Abdul Moeloek hospital in Bandurlampung
on Sunday [16 Apr 2006], all suffering from suspected avian
influenza. The family -- the husband and his wife, both 52, and 3 of
their 6 children, 12, 8 and 5 -- are now being treated in an
isolation room. The 5 have all had a high fever and a cough, symptoms
of avian influenza. The wife has been treated at the hospital since
last Thursday. Her other 3 children had been diagnosed with bird flu
earlier. The 1st one, 15, died 31 Mar 2006, and the 2nd one, 19, died
4 Apr 2006, while the 3rd one, 26, is still being treated at the hospital.

Both deceased children died at home before they could be sent to the
hospital. Their parents had limited funds and knew little about the
virus. Laboratory tests on drug samples taken from the patients
confirmed 4 of the children were infected with avian influenza virus,
while the remaining 2 were negative, according to data from the
Lampung health office. In 2004, at least 1.83 million hens in 9
regencies throughout Lampung province died, possibly from bird flu,
and last year [2005], the virus killed another 4305 hens in the province.

Seven other suspected bird flu patients had been admitted to Abdul
Moeloek hospital before the family. After appropriate medical
treatment, all recovered.

--
ProMED-mail

[A map of Indonesia can be seen at
  - Mod.RY]

[5] Sudan - 1st suspected human case
Source: Reuters Foundation AlertNet, Tue 18 Apr 2006 [edited]

Sudan: One Human and 5 Chickens Are 1st Suspected Bird Flu Cases
Sudan has found one man and 5 chickens infected with the avian
influenza virus, an official from the Health Ministry told Reuters on
Tuesday 18 Apr 2006.

Head of the Epidemics Department Magdi Salih said tests carried out
by Sudanese authorities on the man and the chickens had proved
positive for bird flu, but he did not say whether the virus was the
deadly H5N1 strain.

The infected chickens were found at 2 farms in Sudan's Khartoum and
Jazeera provinces, and he added that the infected man was the owner
of one of the farms.

Samples would be sent abroad for further tests, he said. The H5N1
strain of bird flu has been confirmed in neighboring Egypt, which has
reported 4 human deaths from the virus.

--
ProMED-mail

[6] Pakistan - 1st 3 suspected human cases
Source: Business Recorder, Islamabad, Wed 19 Apr 2006 [edited]

Pakistan; 1st 3 Suspected Human Cases of Avian Influenza Hospitalized
The 1st ever case of avian influenza in human beings appeared in
Pakistan, as 3 patients with apparent symptoms of avian influenza
were admitted to a hospital here on Tue 18 Apr 2006, sources said.
The victims, identified as a 22-year-old man, his sister, 8, and
another woman, 44, were brought to the Pakistan Institute of Medical
Sciences (PIMS). All 3 are from Sihala village near Islamabad, where
the government confirmed the H5N1 strain in birds on Sun 17 Apr 2006,
sources told the Business Recorder.

The administration of the hospital has, however, very tactfully
attempted to camouflage the incident by keeping these patients in one
of the medical wards rather than treating them at the isolation ward
meant for such cases. The incident took place a day after federal
Health Minister Nasir Khan ruled out the possibility of bird-to-human
transmission of the virus.

It came 2 months after Pakistan 1st confirmed the presence of the
H5N1 virus in birds and 7 months after the World Health Organization
(WHO) warning that the bird flu could hit South and Southeast Asia.
The government and its agencies -- health and food ministries -- have
so far been telling people not to give up eating cooked chicken and
eggs in a desperate attempt to save the Rs 70 billion [USD 1.2
billion] per annum poultry industry. After we received a call from a
source reporting the incident, PIMS [officials] denied any such case
when contacted for confirmation. Health Minister Nasir Khan and PIMS
Executive Director Dr Fazl-e-Hadi did not bother to receive telephone
calls from these correspondents. PIMS Spokesperson Dr Wasim Khwaja,
when telephoned, neither confirmed nor denied the case, with a view
that it was a sensitive matter and he could not comment on it. He
referred these correspondents to his deputy, Dr Ghulam Akbar, who at
that time was on duty at the hospital. Before that, when the
isolation ward was visited, the doctor on duty, Dr Abdullah, denied
he had received any patient from the Sihala area with avian influenza
symptoms. Dr Abdullah said that if any patient with bird flu came to
the hospital, he or she would be treated at this ward and that at the
moment, there was no such case.

[Byline: Muhammad Bilal & Zia M Khan]

--
Nati Elkin

[Detailed maps of Pakistan and Sudan can be accessed at
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:57am

Thank you, southerngentuk!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 3:00pm
No problem Trail - i managed to get signed up to pro med a few months ago - so there delivered to my inbox perhaps you can do the same-although i cant remember how i done it - if not and you want pm me and i can put ur email on forward for the promed mails, well i`ll try at least Confused
suree38 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suree38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 3:23pm
signed up for pro med today
Thumbs Up
If in doubt, don't.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 4:10pm
kind of makes you wonder how many cases are actually in Pakistan that are going unreported
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic