Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Mumps- Eyewitnesses Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mumps- Eyewitnesses Please
    Posted: April 19 2006 at 8:29am
The Mumps outbreak in the midwestern USA is a good test run for the CDC and any BIRD Flu  Pandemic response. We will learn a lot from documenting the response to mumps.

The mumps epidemic began on 2 flights to the midwest and continues to escalate. Even those immunized are contracting mumps.

Please post any eyewitness or family acounts of mumps, or actions in response to mumps, particularly in these states:

Indiana

Illinois

Kansas

Michigan

Minnesota

Missouri

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Edited by JaxMax - April 26 2006 at 9:03am
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Prof.Ferguson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof.Ferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:31pm
great idea... i noticed cnn finally picked up this story today.

remember to watch for meningitis too - ditto with that issue as a test run.
Time's up. It's here. If you're not ready, you should have been - we all were warned.
P_S_N View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P_S_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 2:23pm
I thought a little info about mumps might be appropriate posted here. My own adult kids have been asking me about what mups is. I found a good article on if from the Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mumps/DS00125
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 3:56pm
PSN and Prof. Ferguson-

Thanks for the posts.

I hope we get some eyewitness reports form these states. It seems like most of our web users are from coastal states, though.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 4:22pm
Increase in mumps from 2 on March 29, 2006 (the first infected airline flight) to 1,000  in this story today. This is a 21 day spread.http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MUMPS_OUTBREAK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-04-19-18-30-52
Gimme View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 5:10pm
Prof.Ferguson
"remember to watch for meningitis too - ditto with that issue as a test run."

Michigan here, nothing yet on mumps but a lady in the next town over in
Livonia, last week was reported to have bacterial meningits. she was hospitalized. Nothing more on it tho. Nothing more on the woman and where she might have picked it up.
~~~

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Wayne briefs
Reporter / The Detroit News

Livonia

Firefighters exposed to meningitis

Four Livonia firefighters were treated with antibiotics after a 44-year-old woman they rescued turned out to be infected with bacterial meningitis. The disease infects spinal cord and brain fluid. The firefighters went to the unidentified woman's home at 4 p.m. Thursday, said Paul DeNapoli, a senior captain with the Livonia Fire and Rescue Department. The woman was taken to St. Mary's Mercy Hospital in Livonia, DeNapoli said. Hospital officials informed the department about 10 p.m. Thursday that the woman had bacterial meningitis. The hospital dispensed antibiotics to the firefighters and all hospital staff members who came in contact with the woman, he said.

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 8:21am

Mumps cases double, largest outbreak in decades. Rapid escalation forecase. Today's Washingtom Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/19/AR2006041901952.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:40pm

You forgot Iowa's 812 reported cases.

See Link below:

Also in reading about Mumps it can cause meningitis (sp?) which Iowa has also had outbreaks of.
See these links:

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 2:38pm
wenmalon-

Thanks for the post.

With mumps spreading like wildfire, we should get an eyewitness post soon.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 6:03pm
more mumps info

04/20/2006

Iowa Health Officials To Host Vaccine Clinics

With 975 cases of mumps being reported in Iowa and eight other states, Iowa health officials say every college student who hasn't received two mumps vaccinations need the shots now.

Vaccine clinics are being set up for next week, with a second scheduled to take place in May in Iowa. In addition to the nine states already battling this outbreak, health officials in seven other states are also reporting suspected cases of the disease.

In an effort to battle this bug, health officials will host vaccination clinics for anyone age 18 to 22 who has not received two doses of the mumps vaccine. The Iowa Department of Public Health is divvying up some 25,000 doses of vaccine among the 35 counties in the state which are home to colleges or universities.

In addition, Iowa health officials are recommending that anyone traveling from out of state to attend a large public gathering in Iowa, also make sure they've gotten two mumps shots or have already had the mumps before going there.

Iowa Mumps Information

Vaccine Clinic Information

Frequently Asked Questions About the Mumps

Jaine Andrews
© 2006 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 6:16pm
Wenmalon-

Thanks for the post.

What a disturbing picture of the young man.

It is incredible all this came from 2 people on board an airline flight!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 6:27pm

Your welcome JaxMax! 

This is one heck of a beta test for the bird flu!  I was so paranoid that I had to go and read and compare the symptoms of bird flu to mumps....thinking it was a cover-up.  Speculation Only!  The symptoms didn't match too much.  I live in South Dakota but work in Iowa.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 6:31pm
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:30am
Thanks for the post.

I note it addresses outdoor events. I wonder if they are cancelling indoor events.

I wish some reporter would actually GO to the Emergency Rooms in the effected states and write what they see.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:14am
Had a call from a health department official today, because my business is classified as an educational program, to take any infection control precautions necessary.  I am to receive a guide in the mail on Monday. 

So..in light of the mumps, I think I will no longer have blankets for the recliners in my hypnosis office.  I will have to wipe everything down after each use.  Oh well.........it's good practice. 
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:15am
Marker View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:12am
Well, I am from the Midwest, (Omaha), and my sister is a nurse practitioner in Des Moines, Iowa, but I'm not sure what you're asking - hospitals in Iowa have had an extremely unusual year already.  My sister was working at a satellite clinic in a small town, had a lady with a broken hip, and called five hospitals before she found an open bed.  The flu was unusually harsh this year, and all the beds were full of flu victims.   Now, with the mumps, the hardest hit group seems to be young adults.  The spread was unusual, because all of these young adults went on spring break and apparently met many others.  So, yes, it's here, it's a concern, but not a panic.   Anything I can ask my sister when she returns from Vegas this weekend?  (By the way, she's at some sort of medical convention, is VERY concerned about BF, and has advised our family to stock up on several months worth of food and water.)
You don't scare me...I teach 16-17 year olds...
Marker View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:14am
An aside - Am I the only "old" one here?  Didn't most of us have mumps when we were kids?  It wasn't particularly frightening - nothing like the measles and chicken pox we suffered through.....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:22am
Marker,
   It isn't a panic.  The concern is the health care system is increasingly burdened by all of these "other things" besides being underprepared for the bird flu.  Example.........not enough respirators.
     As far as the mumps go.....it can cause hearing loss,  sterility in boys, and can precipitate into meningitis which can be lethal.  One person in Cherokee, Iowa died from it (meningitis) and another case was reported an elderly man in Orange City, Iowa.  
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:33am
Like most of my generation I had mumps as a kid. I have been told that this gives me partial immunity but that I could still catch it again. Just Hearsay, not from medical experts.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 12:18pm
Marker-

Thanks for the post.

I am mainly interested in the mumps because it is essentially a test run for what the Govt. could do for a Pandemic. Mumps is like a mild less harmful test run. Questions I am interested in:

1.  Restrictions on activities- Schools closed etc.

2. The rate of spread- all of a suddden everyone has it. Realize this all came form 2 people on an airline in March

3. Effects on your day to day life

4. Emergency room, hospital overload, schools closing, panic buying of food in stores- I doubt this will occur but I would like to know if it does  

Just as you note anything interesting, please post. I am constructing a time line.

Thanks

outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 1:37pm
You may want to add North Dakota to your list.  One case of mumps in Fargo, ND last week.
Marker View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 1:42pm
According to dear sis, if the mumps was a test run, we're screwed.   Many, many patients, initial confusion about possible problematic vaccines?  New strain? The spread was incredibly rapid, but few if any measures were taken to stall it.  A couple of small schools closed, some parents kept kids home, but most were just treated and got over it. The emergency room wasn't the first contact for most - generally pediatricians and GP's.  The health professionals did not get any particular special treatment, and many assumed immunity because they DID have mumps as children.  As wenmalon noted, there were some deaths from complications resulting from the mumps.

I guess the thing she was concerned about was the initial confusion, and the rapid spread before they could identify the carrier.   If it were BF instead of mumps, well....not a pretty picture.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 2:47pm
Just heard mumps case at Indiana University.

Edited by Ruth - April 22 2006 at 2:47pm
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:33pm
Marker-

Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I suspected. And most people do not think of mumps a s a serious problem.

I think we will see 50 state spread because of the lag between infection and symptoms.

I wonder why reporters are not just going to the local ER and writing about what they see.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:34pm

outsidethecamp

Thanks. I think we will be adding a lot of states.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:35pm
Ruth-

Thanks. I will scan for stories.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:31pm
Marker,
   Thanks for the added information.  We can also add South Dakota to the Mumps list.  Someone at Dakota State University.  A 19-year-old.  They are being quarantined. 
    Tell your sis to get on here too.  We need more medical professionals on here from different areas of the country, as they seem to get information a little sooner.......in my opinion anyway.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:28am
Mumps health advisory
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 21, 2006

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- An Indiana University Bloomington student has been diagnosed with mumps, according to Hugh Jessop, director of the Indiana University Health Center. Because the recent mumps epidemic in the Midwest has been tied closely to university communities, Jessop said that students, faculty and staff -- particularly those individuals who have direct student contact -- need to be aware they may be at risk of contracting the disease.

I wonder what will happen when all those college students come home for the summer.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:34am
Ruth-

Thanks for the post.

Many college students go home on weekends, if for no other reason than to use their parents washing machine.

So I expect rapid spread.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:37am
wenmalon-

Thanks for South Dakota. 

I will add it to the interactive map we are devoloping.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:38pm
JaxMax,
  Great idea on the map.   I live in southeast South Dakota and work in NW Iowa.  Across the river is Nebraska, and about 10 miles to the east, we have Minnesota.  Our news entities, seem to cover the four state area, so I will watch for the other states too.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:27pm
wemmalon-

Thanks, it seems local news is going to be the only coverage. And if it is on loal tv the stories are not transcribed and never make it to the net.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:44pm
On our local news last night, we now have 6 cases of mumps in our county in OK, none have had to be hospitalized so far. Seems as though they vacationed in Iowa and brought it back with them.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:54pm
Penham-

Thanks for the post. We will add 6 OK cases to map. Seems like your starnd is mild if no hospitalization, although I am unclear what benefit comes from hospitalization as opposed to home care with medicine.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:34pm
Another mumps case in South Dakota
4/25/2006

New Mumps Case Confirmed In Mitchell

Mitchell School Superintendent Joe Graves says a student in the district has been diagnosed with mumps and is quarantined. He says a mailing to parents spells out the situation and provides information about the disease.

There have been mumps cases in Iowa, Nebraska and Minnesota. The state Health Department says the first confirmed case in South Dakota came last week in a student at Dakota State University.

South Dakota health officials have been on the alert, watching for the spread of mumps from Iowa to KELOLAND. Tonight on HealthBeat, Jaine Andrews talks with officials in Pierre about their efforts to control the disease.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:40pm

Regents take step to ward off mumps on campus

BY TERRY WOSTER
twoster@midco.net
April 25, 2006

PIERRE – Faced with a confirmed case of mumps on one campus and the threat of an outbreak at other universities, South Dakota’s Board of Regents adopted an interim policy this afternoon that gives them power to bar from campus students, faculty and staff who can’t document that they’ve been vaccinated or are immune.

The action gives the board and its public universities authority to follow state Department of Health recommendations for countering the mumps, which has become a concern because of a recent outbreak in Iowa.

“We have no mechanism to exclude students, faculty or staff from the campus body or isolate them,’’ Regents’ President Harvey Jewett said before the interim policy was adopted. “What this policy does is give us authority to do that . . . on recommendation from the Department of Health.’’

The confirmed case at Dakota State University in Madison shoved that campus into outbreak status, Jewett said. School officials said a free clinic was being held Tuesday afternoon to provide measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccinations for faculty and staff.

The university will also pay for faculty and staff to have vaccinations at the public health clinic in Madison if they’re unable to attend Tuesday’s session.

All students are supposed to have proof of two MMR shots before they enroll in the public university system. Regent’s staffers said six students at DSU still are unable to find such documentation.

There has been no such requirement for faculty or staff, Regents President Harvey Jewett of Aberdeen said.

Two doses of MMR are required for anyone born after 1956 who can’t document they’ve had shots. Some blood tests will show immunity to the disease, regents’ officials said, but those test can be more expensive than vaccinations.

Jewett said after the meeting that the effect of the policy will be to allow higher education to handle the outbreak situation at DSU and to prompt the other campuses to make sure all students; faculty and staff can document their immunity or receive fresh MMRs.

“We’re very fortunate we’re so close to the end,’’ one campus representative said during the teleconference. Spring semesters end next month.

ONLINE RESOURCES
Topics related to this article include the following: