Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Rechargeable batteries/chargers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Col Sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rechargeable batteries/chargers
    Posted: April 21 2006 at 8:01am
A couple questions about rechargeables and chargers:

1. I want to buy a universal recharger, am considering the Accumanager 20. Anyone have any experience with this model? For the price range, is there a better choice?

2. I notice there are lots of chargers for AA/AAA and few that will accommodate C & D. Same goes for the battery cases. This makes me wonder, is there not as much demand for C & D equipment as there is for AA & AAA stuff, and if so, why not? In our household it seems like we go through lots of C's.

fc17 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fc17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 8:21am
Hello Col Sanders,

I am sorry I can answer your question about the Accumanger 20.  

I would like to bring up the use of solar powered yard lights than can use solar power to recharge AA batteries.  They obviously can also be used for indoor lighting at night if there is no electricity. 

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:06am
Col Sanders,

1. That looks like a nice unit. I like the auto-type recognition capability and the ability to mix batt types. When I purchased my chargers they didn't have those options. Again , nice unit as long as you have power available.

2. With the advance in micro-electronics (lower current requirements) and new battery technologies (rechargable and high output) the 'C' and 'D' and all alkaline batts are on their way of the buggy whips.

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:28am
Wth the newer nmah batteries, the AAAs and AAs can put out as much as the nmah Cs and Ds. Or has as long of a runtime giving the same brightness as a larger flashlight. Rechargeables can be had up to 2700 ah now, even tho I have only saw and bought 2500 ah.
Some people are using "tubes" to put AAs in to fill the void, and using them in the C and D lights.
I have some AA lights in three watt leds that will blow away my 3D mag light. Some 123 attery lights that will cause eye damage.
So it comes down to a really bright in a smaller package.
And almost all the nmah batteries (duracell, kodak,energizer) are all made by sanyo in Japan, so just get the cheapest price you can.

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Mountainwinds Mountainwinds wrote:

Some 123 battery lights that will cause eye damage.

The CR123s are all I'm buying any more. I'll keep my modded AA/AAA MiniMags for backups. But those 123s are very impressive! As I've said before, they will temporarily blind an assailant and buy you time to evade or respond appropriately. Thumbs Up

Col Sanders View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Col Sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:59am
Aha. Is there any danger to my person or my rechargeables in using the AA's in tubes in a C or D appliance? Most of my flashlights take C's and I'm reluctant to go out and replace all at once. Would it be unwise to buy only AAA/AA rechargeables and a charger that handles just those sizes?

For the latter, I seem to be hearing good things about the Maha C401FS.

Many thanks for your help. I'm feeling a lot better about this whole thing now.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Col Sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:01am
One more question: Can any battery charger be used with a solar panel, simply by virtue of its being an electrical device?
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:18am
Yes.

gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:19am

Originally posted by Col Sanders Col Sanders wrote:

1. I want to buy a universal recharger, am considering the Accumanager 20. Anyone have any experience with this model? For the price range, is there a better choice?

Col Sanders,

First off, love the chicken strips in the sweet and spicy sauce.

I have an Accumanager 20. I had to send it back because of it would NOT auto recogonize the batteries. It charges the batteries great,(I got all Accupower batteries - same manufacturer) but I returned it am awaiting the replacement. . .

I bought everything from Thomas Distributing*. Customer service was REALLY great, as were the prices. The unit can be powered off grid by a solar panel or thru an auto cig lighter.

I got a 15 watt solar panel from Cabela's** for $120.00. It will recharge auto batteries also.

Gilmore

P.S. New Accumanager 20 should arrive today and will provide an update on this thread. Thomas Dist has tested the replacement to insure the auto-recognize mode works.

P.S. I have no financial interest in, or receive discounts from ANY companies products I post about. . .

* ( thomasdistributing.com )

** http://tinyurl.com/onlr3

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:23pm
AAAs, AAs, Cs and Ds are all 1.5 volts. Rechargables are 1.2 volts. Less starting power, but a much longer run time.
It will not hurt to interchange them in anything, as long as you can make them fit.
Solar charger? Make sure you buy one for the type battery you are using. Such as a 12 volt charger for car batteries. Solar chargers for 1.2  volt flashlight type batteries are different.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:24pm
Also as fc17 said, solar yard light are a good cheap way to charge batteries. Just make sure you remove the batteries before it gets dark and they turn on and start using power.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 12:28pm
Ok, one more post....... On charging C and D batteries, I bought some battery packs,(radio shack) that hold Cs and Ds, and using he alligator clips, I hook them into my AA charger, and charge them that way. Since they are all 1.2 volts, it works great.

Edited by Mountainwinds - April 21 2006 at 12:29pm
prepmeister View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:50pm
If you are looking for raw recharge time for C's and D's, I believe the fastest NiMh battery charger is the Maha MH-C808M.  The accumanager 20 can recharge 4 NiMH D size batteries in about 12 hours.  The Maha claims it can do it in 5 hours.  Of course the Maha comes at a price 2x that of the accumanager 20.  My thought is, if the power was out and you wanted to conserve your generator fuel while recharging C's and D's, the Maha would be better (assuming you don't have solar).

The Maha is listed here:

Here is also a great review of battery chargers:
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Col Sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:23am
fc17 and Mountainwinds, can you say more about using solar yard lights to charge batteries? How exactly do you do this?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 8:41am
Buy the solar lights from most hardware stores, or walmart. The batteries are alreay installed and charged. There is a strip of plastic between battery and contact, remove it to activate. Or remove batteries and install ones that are dead. Then..... simply put in the sun to charge.
Before it get dark, remove batteries from light. Each light uses 2 batteries.
The next day, reinstall batteries and put in sun again. I would charge dead batteries at least two days.
These type chargers use NiCad batteries, which have the memory effect. So I would charge them as long as I could, and drain them to almost dead.
Extra batteries at walmart are around $5 for 4, but you will save in the long run.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 8:46am
Yes, along with ColSanders, i'm interested in this as well ... 

With the rechargeable battery(s) that's already contained in the light - how long does that one need to charge before putting in another battery(s) for recharging?
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
Calico View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:48am
Besides what sweetpea asked, can you replace the NiCads with NIMHs?
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Calico Calico wrote:

Besides what sweetpea asked, can you replace the NiCads with NIMHs?

Yes you can.

BTW, there are chargers that will handle both NiCad and NiMH batts.

As long as you do not rapid charge NiCads you need not fear explosions. The newer NiCads have been improved dramatically. Be careful with your old ones though.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:00pm
I would charge the batteries (2) for at least two days from total discharge. They will last longer than that if used in a flashlight for a few minutes a night. If using higher drain items, they won't last as long.
Nimh can be used in them, but they don't get as good of a charge, since they are made for a higher charge rate. But then they also do not have the memory effect.
I have 7 seven solar lights so I can leave them in the sun for several days before needing to use the batteries, and have extra batteries, so I can change them out when charged, and have a supply of charged batteries on hand.
Calico View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Mountainwinds Mountainwinds wrote:

]Nimh can be used in them, but they don't get as good of a charge, since they are made for a higher charge rate. But then they also do not have the memory effect.

Will this have any effect on the lifespan of the NIMHs?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:08pm

No, it just won't have as good of a charge, and will need to be charged sooner. I would leave them in the solar light for as long as possible. Several days even. Just remove them at night so the light does not turn on and drain the batteries.

NiMH batteries have like 1600 to 2700 amp hours. More the better. The NiCads were less than a 1000.

gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by gilmor gilmor wrote:

Col Sanders,

First off, love the chicken strips in the sweet and spicy sauce.

I have an Accumanager 20. I had to send it back because of it would NOT auto recogonize the batteries. It charges the batteries great,(I got all Accupower batteries - same manufacturer) but I returned it am awaiting the replacement. . .

I bought everything from Thomas Distributing*. Customer service was REALLY great, as were the prices. The unit can be powered off grid by a solar panel or thru an auto cig lighter.

I got a 15 watt solar panel from Cabela's** for $120.00. It will recharge auto batteries also.

Gilmore

P.S. New Accumanager 20 should arrive today and will provide an update on this thread. Thomas Dist has tested the replacement to insure the auto-recognize mode works.

P.S. I have no financial interest in, or receive discounts from ANY companies products I post about. . .

* ( thomasdistributing.com )

** http://tinyurl.com/onlr3 

SORRY for the delay. . . Battery charger works great and all is well.
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:12pm
Can anyone tell me if regular batteries will last longer if you freeze them. I'm pretty sure I read that on here. I ask two different store clerks at Radio Shack. One told me yes, but only put them in the freeze for a few hours. The other told me I could keep them in there until I needed them. Guess thats what I get for asking the same question twice. Smile
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 12:57pm
One of the battery manufactures' site says to store 'em cool and dry for maximum storage life. Can't remember which site.

koolsteve View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 6:35pm
im probobly not thinking this entirly through, but if you were to buy a battery charger, assuming of course you were doing this because batteries were scare in stores during the pandemic, wouldnt electricty eventually turn off?    ( you wouldnt be able to use a wall charger) 
ninjas rule
prepmeister View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prepmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:10pm
Here is my thoughts:
Power may go off for a while, come back on, go off etc. due to possible part/fuel shortages for power plants due to truckers not showing up for work.  When power is on, you use the chargers like normal to charge all your batteries.  When the power goes off, you can hook a charger to an inverter connected to a battery (later charge 12V by a gen set) if needed (in addition to using your generator for critical power applications).  Also, I have solar battery charger if out of fuel and power is off.  They charge AA, AAA, C's and D's.  I also have AA solar charges (malibu solar spot lights).  The key behind rechargable batteries, is that you can use them over and over before having to return to a disease infested walmart once H2H is going.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:49am
Originally posted by prepmeister prepmeister wrote:

The key behind rechargable batteries, is that you can use them over and over before having to return to a disease infested walmart once H2H is going.

prepmeister,

You have it in a nut shell! Clap

Remember to run NiCad and NiMH batteries to or near depletion before recharging. Believe it or not, this will maximize the number of recharge cycles.

If you run these batts to 50% and then recharge several times, they will then only charge to something much less than full charge.

Some chargers have a depletion mode to use prior to recharging.

gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by prepmeister prepmeister wrote:

Here is my thoughts:
Power may go off for a while, come back on, go off etc. due to possible part/fuel shortages for power plants due to truckers not showing up for work. 

Recently read / heard that U.S. oil refineries CANNOT operate with 30% of employees off. . . These plants produce our gasoline, but also the fuels that run alot of our power plants.

Almost 20% of U.S. electricity is produced by nuclear power. Deregulation has forced all power companies to run “lean and mean”. I would think that like an oil refinery, a nuclear power plant could not operate with 30% of it’s work force off.

Both nuke fueled power plants and refineries are NOT “light switch operations”. . . Both MUST be slowly shut down and slowly restarted. . . Coal, natural gas and oil powered electrical generating plants are known as “peaker’s” within the industry and are especially used to quickly reach maximum output on hot (A/C usage) days. . .

just some thoughts,

Gilmore

gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 2:32pm

A couple questions about rechargeables and chargers:

Col Sanders,

SORRY I forgot to respond earlier. . .

Got the Accumanager back and it woks great.

Does AA, AAA, C, D, & 9vlt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic