Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Am I becoming obsessed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyorkprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I becoming obsessed?
    Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:20am
Hello!  I am a new member here, and after follwing this site and others (AFT, fluwikie, etc.) for the last few months, I decided to finally join up and post.

I have been convinced by all that I have read that we need to prepare ourselves, and that is what we are doing.   My usually skeptical husband is on board and we have developed a pretty extensive prep list which we are diligently working completing.  We live in a medium sized city in Upstate NY, but are fortunate enough to own a small cabin on 12 very secluded acres 1 and 1/2 hours from here.  There is a well, indoor plumbing with septic, (outhouse as a back up), wood stove, etc. there so I think it will work out great for isolating.  (We just bought it at the end of last summer before I knew anything about BF....how about that for timing!) We have one child who is 13, and have talked with him quite a bit about our plan so he understands.

My question/problem is....am I becoming obsessed with Bird Flu?  One of my biggest worries is knowing WHEN it is time to tell my boss "I'm out of here" and head to the cabin for good.  I find myself checking all the websites MULTIPLE times daily, just searching for that tidbit of news that will tell me disaster is on its way.  I have a desk job and am on the computer all day (supposed to be doing my work...) but am on the internet alot.  I find I am having a hard time focusing on work, and other things that need to be done around the house.  Even though my husband and son are supportive, they are accusing me of being obsessed because I am on the computer so much. 

I would be interested in hearing some feedback...is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

Newyorkprepper
ps.  Maybe I will go do some laundry now, instead of waiting for a reply!LOL
"And in the end....the love you make is equal to the love you take."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:57am
I only know two people who are prepping. A couple others who will discuss it, most everyone else.... well you know.
I see two things here.
1. We have to keep up on the news to keep ourselves informed. After it mutates, it could be on us in a very few days, if not sooner.
2. I am convinced, the government will not tell us anything if it mutates, so we will not panic.
As far as leavig work............. it is possible it will not mutate. It will still get here by way of migration, but if it stays in the birds and doesn't go H2H, leaving work might cause a hardship. (loss of money)
On the other hand, if I hear it has mutated, I will be making last minute plans, and when it hits the US at any place, I will be outta here.
My place of work, still denies any problem with it, and if it does go H2H, I would love to hear them talk about the government making a vaccine etc., so there's no need to worry.
At the moment, they say it's all hype to sell news, and or medicine.
I guess that means the news and pharmaceutical industry has enough pull to get all the chicken farmers to let their flocks be killed for no reason, and get a couple hundred people to agree to die, so their products can be sold.

newyorkprepper View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyorkprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 10:06am

The "leaving work" thing will probably not be a problem and I am very interested in seeing how that all pans out.  I work for a healthcare related  not-for-profit...closely tied to a major university based hospital here.  I have asked my boss if there is any talk of bird flu at the hospital, and she said NO, not that she is aware of.  Shocked  That's scary, since this hospital has been in the news recently as being on of the major research sites for the Bird Flu vaccine!!

Anyways, we provide services to the families of ill or injured children and I am sure in a pandemic situation we will be very busy!  HOWEVER....my job is administrative, I have no interaction with the families, so I think that I would be "excused" from work in that scenario.  Also, with schools probably closing that will be my out.
"And in the end....the love you make is equal to the love you take."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 12:15pm
Hi Newyorkprepper, I too watch these sites for several weeks before joining. I also check many times a day, before and after work, and I have also begun to prep in the last few weeks. From everything I've been reading, it seems that we won't know officially until maybe a day of two after the initial serious clusters occur. (Some say it have already happened but that's not official.) By reading overseas websites, we may pick up on it earlier than the general population, which will provide us some time to make decisions. Try newsnow     http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Bird+Flu    I found this to provide lots of overseas info, at least what governments will allow them to print. I do sometimes ignore some housework, but it's always there waiting for me. I figure, better safe than sorry.
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 1:14pm
Dear Newyorkprepper!  I was totally obsessed, too, in the beginning, and still am.  I find news reports mostly boring, as I already know most of the information and it is just a rehash.  I, like you, look for "exotic" information that would be the first clue.  95% of all that exotic information gets posted here on this website within a few hours of it being hidden in other news stories.  I need to relate a story to you about how all of us keep hitting the panic button, then nothing happens.  When I first started reading avidly (like every 3-4 hours), about last Jan or Feb, a news story came out that over 160 people in Iraq were infected with bird flu.  I hit the panic button and emailed all my friends--"the sky is falling, the SIHTF!"  Well, of course, it never came to be and the story died out in a few days.  That was a big lesson to me--you need to sit tight on these stories and wait it out a few days.  Stories out of Indonesia and India and school closures and quarantines in Beijing in recent weeks have all had the same outcome.  We, here on this web site, will be the first to know it, when it is the real thing.  In the meantime, we are all just sitting tight and following the news like hawks, and keeping in close touch with each other.  Hope this helps--welcome aboard. 
jpc
Gatorpoo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorpoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 2:41pm
Dear NYP
at least your husband and son are supportive! My son looked at me last night and very calmly said, "Mom, you know how crazy you sound, right?" Funny thing, I have been psuedo-prepping ever since 9/11 so he should be used to it.  I will prep until the day I die because I never want to feel the way I felt that morning. I have a friend that is police chief here and he told me a few weeks ago "If the public knew what we know, and what we are doing to get ready for this thing they would be scared to death" 

Welcome    
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 2:45pm
So what does he know that we should know? And why aren't they telling us?
My husband also thinks I'm crazy.
Gatorpoo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorpoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 3:07pm
Don't know, but he did say he has been trying to get his kids to start stocking up and they just blow him off-he is very worried about them. He has been telling them for over 6months to get ready.This is a small rural county and most of the country folks have pretty much always lived this way, gardening, canning, buying for the year or the season when they get the money. But the folks in town are another story, buy groceries once a week, eat out as often as possible, don't really have any survival skills or instinct.
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 3:09pm
My sister, an ER nurse, and her husband, a GP, both think I'm completely round the bend. So join the club.

I have put strict time limits on "obsessing," which I try to follow, but rarely succeed. Like pugmom, I have become jaded to MSM reports, because they all say the same things, and minimize the danger over and over again. You will get to a point of sifting for the truly startling news - that extraordinary something that might be more meaningful.

Welcome aboard.

Red
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:23pm

I believe in being prepared, but my preparations are not specific for bird flu, with the exception of purchasing respirators and some Tamiflu. I try to think in a broad sense of any natural disaster, catastrophic event, pandemic, terrorist attack, power grid failure, etc. Anything could happen that would make my stored items come in handy. No, I am not too obsessed about the bird flu. However, it is a big interest of mine. My theory is, whatever happens, I have no control over it. I just focus my energy on being prepared for anything, not just a pandemic.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:30pm
Gastorpoo.  This is really frustrating. Next time you see him could you ask him to give some detail?  And let us know!!! If we knew what the police were being told, in any country, we'd have some idea of what the govts preps were, and what to expect.  Beth
Gatorpoo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorpoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:40pm
Beth
I will ask him next chance I get, I talk to him about once a week. Problem I see is since Katrina, gov officials are bending in two to make sure it does not happen in their back yard, so.... are they paranoid CYA-ish or legit. Just thinking. 
Dragondark View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragondark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:46pm

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragondark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:49pm
Oops, sorry. I'm new to posting.

You aren't the only ones worrying about being 'obsessed'. I belong to an Anti-Terrorist division, and we prep much the same way including the OTC stuff. Problem is, you always ask yourself 'Have I done enough?', and 'What info do I not have?'. Those are just key parts of being prepared.

Thanks for letting me post!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:53pm
The way I see it is there is NO part of this country that does not have the potential to suffer a severe disruption of some kind, at some time.  For me, its is hurricanes, but when I lived in Kansas City, it was Tornados.  When we were in upstate New York, Blizzards would cut power and roads for days.  No matter where you live you should have the resources to survive for an extended period of time on your own.  Even the Ozarks with fairly mild weather still have earthquakes (new madrid fault) to be concerned with.  It simply a matter of self responsibility.  I had all the equipment I needed before the BF reared its ugly head, and a months worth of supplys for Hurricanes.  I have increased to a years worth of food and supplies, but all the planning was already in place.  I don't think you are obsessed, unless you are dedicating too much of your time and financial resources in a blitz to get it all done.  There is time, maybe not more than a few months, but there is time.  Just be reasonable in your plans.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Proudest Monkey Proudest Monkey wrote:

I believe in being prepared, but my preparations are not specific for bird flu, with the exception of purchasing respirators and some Tamiflu. I try to think in a broad sense of any natural disaster, catastrophic event, pandemic, terrorist attack, power grid failure, etc. Anything could happen that would make my stored items come in handy. No, I am not too obsessed about the bird flu. However, it is a big interest of mine. My theory is, whatever happens, I have no control over it. I just focus my energy on being prepared for anything, not just a pandemic.

PM,

You have written what I try to tell people that question my preps. Since pre-Y2K I have slowly expanded and diverified my supplies and 'tools'. Being on the Florida west coast I've had the opportunity to exercise my plans and re-evaluate our needs.

Although my ultimate concern is H2H, I do have a 'cane season just around the corner. The BF has just convinced me to extend my self-reliance time line.

I'm fortunate in that my bride of 36 years does not dissuade my preps. In fact after the BBT (Big Brown Truck) dropped off another two large boxes yesterday she said "More hurricanes preps I take it?". Yepper, I'm fortunate.
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 7:17pm

Dragondark,

Welcome to this forum! That is interesting what you said, "I belong to an Anti-Terrorist division". I am very concerned about terrorism; I am probably equally concerned, or more concerned about terrorism than I am the bird flu. One of my immediate family members was working at the Pentagon on 9/11 so it really hits home for me. Yes, there is a lot of paranoia in my head when it comes to terrorist attacks. Terrorism has been a definite event for the U.S., but a pandemic is only a "maybe".

PS-Welcome newyorkprepper!

Edited by Proudest Monkey - April 22 2006 at 7:53pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:16pm
Gatorpoo, you described it as country. I would doubt that the funds are available for just CYA; sounds to me they are doing serious pandemic planning. Could you tell us which state you live in? Would be interesting to know if they are reacting to Leavitt making the rounds or where already at it. Please, keep us updated.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:19pm
Dragondark, welcome aboard. There are a number of extensive lists posted on this forum; they will help you compare to your preps. Maybe you have some things that we forgot.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:35pm

hi to all, everything i have brought , can be used, or eaten. obsessed ,yes i am, but think of it this way, gas prices have jumped again and will continue to rise, all the food you brought in advance , will save you dollars in the long run. the price of food is rising with the gas prices. i stopped telling people about BF. i walk a road less traveled, and i know the government is not going to deliver to my door like the UPS man, there will be long lines of people waiting for a handout, remenber all the disasters in the usa, all you ever heard were excuses, why the help wasn't there. this President has told us not to look for the government for help. what more do you need to know. they are covering their collective rear-ends, by telling the public to prepare.i;m going to prep till i reach my comfort level, ok , i haven;t figured out what that level is yet, but my 125lbs of sugar i will use, and won't go bad. what i can't see for my self is going into debt over this, my one paycheck has far to go, but thats me. i pay with cash. ok   this preping is harmless, your not spending money on QVC,gambling , drinking booze,  or what ever else some one thinks is frivolous ,. i will be obsessed with a pretty knowledgeable crowd that hangs out on this forum, and if this never develops into human to human transmission, i have learned a whole lot of  interesting ways to save money and live cheaper and as they say on tv "stick it to the man" off my soap box    roxy

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 8:45pm
Roxy,

What you said just reminded me of something; yesterday, I want out and was buying some extra gasoline. I saw a guy that looked like he bought about $80.00 worth of lottery tickets. I just can not see wasting hard earned money on something like that. It seemed like such a waste.
Gatorpoo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatorpoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:23am
Femvet
I am in NC and I agree with you, It seems that they are taking the situation very seriously, but they are doing it very quietly. I get the immpression they have been planning for a while.    

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Gatorpoo Gatorpoo wrote:

Femvet
I am in NC and I agree with you, It seems that they are taking the situation very seriously, but they are doing it very quietly. I get the immpression they have been planning for a while.    

would appreciate it very much if you keep us updated as to developments there. Our daughter is a Professor at the University in Raleigh with an eight month old son and I can't get her to pay attention to this!! It's driving me crazy!! Maybe if she got local warnings, she would take it more seriously!
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:51am
I have a daughter in Raliegh with a 3 month old baby her husband works in the triangle -they are preparing. PM me maybe they can get together I know they feel kinda lonely preparing for this. Cry
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:51pm
I have used money I needed for other fairly important things to buy preps.  But how could I ever forgive myself if I did not prep, and it happened, and my children had nowhere to go?  Its and insurance like any other, and I think this particular risk is quite high.  More importantly, even if it were not so high, the scenario if it did happen would be  so completely devastating it is foolish not to prepare.  Much of the stuff will get used eventually, even if the pandemic turns out to be too mild to do us much harm.  Its really just the "interest" real or intangible, on the money spent on preps that has to be taken into account.  Beth
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragondark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 4:18pm
Thank you for welcoming me everyone.

I  have looked through as much of the material on this site as I can without melting my eyeballs to check my preps and see if there was anything I missed. One thing I have noticed from an ATD standpoint is that most people on the list plan to shelter in place and have large stocks of heavy supplies on hand. This is not totally practical for ATD or environmental 'bug-out' situations, where you may have to deal with chem/bio/radiation fallout or massive destruction of the surrounding area (ex. hurricane Katrina, large earthquake). I'm trying to take an aproach that will allow me to shelter in place or bail out as necessary.  Also, there are some differences in prefered gear, a majority of the people seem to prefer the disposable face masks in conjunction with goggles in a pandemic situation. I do not understand the reasoning in paying for cases of these masks, when you can buy a full-faced, ballistic, NATO filtered mask for around $150 that will give better protection as long as you follow good decontamination procedures.

I look forward to replies. D*
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 4:33pm
For all outdoor trips, I have decided to use my North 7700 half-mask with P100 filters that I use for stone sculpture. It has an absolutely air tight seal, and keeps out everything that's not chemical. It also disinfects easily with Purell wipes. For inside stuff, like caring for a sick person, I went with the 3M 1860 blue N95's.

The North might not be for everyone, but I am used to there being a sauna on my face for several hours at a time.

Red
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 4:35pm
Forgot about obsessing.

YES, I went through the "3 Stages of BF" just like everybody else. Eventually, news burnout ensues, and you can go about your life more rationally.

And relatives do think I'm a nut job.

Red
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Dragondark Dragondark wrote:

Thank you for welcoming me everyone.

I do not understand the reasoning in paying for cases of these masks, when you can buy a full-faced, ballistic, NATO filtered mask for around $150 that will give better protection as long as you follow good decontamination procedures.

I look forward to replies. D*

Where can I get these and do they make them small enough for kids?
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 11:46am
Linda,

There is this:

http://store.pksafety.net/fulfacres3m6.html

and this is what I wear:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611750154

Don't know about about the "NATO ballistic" part, but I'm sure these would suffice. I got the North one in size "small" for my daughter, who is 21 but tiny.

Hope this helps.

Red
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Dragondark Dragondark wrote:

when you can buy a full-faced, ballistic, NATO filtered mask for around $150 that will give better protection as long as you follow good decontamination procedures.

If you shop carefully you can do better than $150 each. This year I purchased two new-in-package full-faced Scott Promask 40s  (http://www.scottsafety.com/PDF/ENGL_ESITE/Promask_BRO_ENG_1110052.pdf) for less than $90 total with shipping. The only disadvantage versus the current military gas mask is no drinking tube.

I also purchased six sealed NATO NBC filters, expires 2011, for $96. Normally they run $35-50 each.

NOTE: I will not use them for the BF. NATO NBC filters will last two to twelve hours dependant upon environmental load. At $35 a pop, I can't afford to stock enough for the long range.

Therefore I will use the N95 for the possible few ventures outside my neighborhood. The Scotts are for NBC emergencies.

If one insists on a full-faced mask, shop around!

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragondark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 5:07pm
I  get my stuff through approvedgasmasks.com. They're shipping times can be a bit of a hassle, but they are good folks.  My prefered mask is the SGE400/3. But I have bought SGE150's for my family (a steal at $98 with NBC filter). The big sell points for me are  thatthe mask will stand up to a 1 inch steel ball propelled at 335 mph without cracking or damaging the face shield, also it will not melt in 375' heat for 6 min.  They make sizes for children too.

I am personally more comfortable having my entire face including eyes,tear ducts, soft membranes, ect. behing a single enclosed capsule to keep out iritants and bio stuff. Plus, being a one-piece polycarbonate shell, it's easy to clean the exterior with a wipe before entering your shelter or taking it off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic