Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

NBC Dateline Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 7:45pm
Email sent -keep em coming they do judge future programing on responseWink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:03pm
Cough into your elbow?  My current favorite. LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:29pm
Ok --Watched the whole thing and here are my thoughts.

First, I tried to divide my brain into two parts...One half of me tried to watch it as John Q or Jane Q public that know little to nothing about "Bird Flu" and secondly, as a informed professional trying to sort it out.

I think this was responsible, even signifcant journalism.  I think the journalist behind this story got a huge education and now professionally know enough to keep tabs on all of those officials they talked to.  I think they talked to a wide range of individuals and presented a thoughtful piece.  On a personal level, I am sure everyone that had any role in putting this story together is now wide-awake and preparing in a serious way, they are also telling all of their friends and family memebers and that is progress.

As John Q public I think this was a  significant moment --but I don't think it will have reached many people.  It was balanced and reasonable, but did it hold peoples attention?  I don't know.  I will be curious to see any feedback tomorrow.  I think it didn't make you feel like it was close enough, personal enough to override the everyday little crisis and issues in everyones lives.

As a professional, I think they had some of the good experts on the show, I think they did sound research.  I think they may have missed an opportunity to get more out of people.  Maybe if they said you should have 2months of supplies they would have gotten people to lay in 2 days. 

I think they will have to keep pushing the message.  In crisis communication its called "iincreasing the sense of outrage", if people get concerned ie "outraged" about an issue, they get focused and take action. Not to be mistaken with total outrage or the "iI'm really ***sed off"...

Hopefully enough people will pay attention...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:34pm
Well, I ran by the local HEB to see if anyone around me took the show seriously.  Expected to see a few people in the store.  Surprise.  Surprise.  Did not see one person prepping.

After phoning mother and daughter telling them to watch, guess what?  They watched part of it and changed to something else.  What do you do?

I agree with everyone else unrealistic talking about the hospitals, everything back to normal and the two weeks preps, come on.  Guess we will have to wait and see what the movie does.  If that does nothing then I cant think of what it would take to wake people up short of the pandemic hitting them in the face.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:38pm
Texas --

That was my concern watching it....I don't think it was enough to hold most people's attention for a full hour.  It was accurate and reasonable and intelligent, but American's particularly have very short attention spans.  NBC even limited the commercial breaks during the show to give more coverage time....I think NBC tried to walk the line and obviously think it is pretty scary...but i don't think they were quite "scary" enough in tone. to keep people dialed in.  I hope I am wrong.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:41pm
I believe a few people who saw it will get it.  The masses however are another story.  Sad, but it will take the actual event for most to sit up and take notice.  My opinion.
Frisky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:56pm
   We already have patients in the hall on a regular bad day. A few days ago I saw a patient in hall bed Q [Counting starts at A]. This is only one of three areas that had hall beds. The nurse to patient ratios listed are unrealistic. In a pandemic nurse to patient ratios would be more like 20 or 30 to one or worse. The picture showing beds running down the hall  looked like a shot of my ER on about any day at 3PM.    ER Doc
It is better to give than to receive.
Acesh View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:09pm
Jaxmax

oh I do agree with you that they were "unreasonably optimistic".  In fact,
I felt they were telling us how they HOPED it would play out. 
I think too it was  underdone? is that a word? 
understated... 

Basketball conflicted with this so..............less audience.
Glad they did the show though.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:39pm
As I said earlier, I think they could have said more.

Edited by Mountainwinds - April 23 2006 at 9:40pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:13pm
Something, is much better than nothing.  It might have fallen short of being great, but it was informative and hopefully to get others to start thinking..maybe preparing..more than two weeks worth, I hope.  Gees.  That was the most alarming part, but I think that most people will get it..and begin to prepare for 18 months.  Approve  Peace.
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:36pm

I just got finished watching the Dateline Special.  That show definitely got my attention, especially the scene where all of those darn patients were lying on stretchers in tha halls of the hospital. Many times I have to put my patients in the hall now because there is no where else to put them.  I'll be lucky to last two weeks in such a pandemic. I have accepted the fact that I could easily die in a pandemic, especially because of my line of work. Who Knows? I still refuse to worry myself to death about the unknown. I am just going to live everyday like it  is my last!

Edited by Proudest Monkey - April 23 2006 at 10:37pm
KOMET163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KOMET163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:45pm
Welll, some one will wake up in the morning with a reason to panic and actually do something. I will be secure in the fact that I have done everything that I could to do the right thing.  I have prepared the best that I can and will do more every day.  I will pick up more water tommorrow.  I will be ready as I can for this menace....

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:58pm
Nawty bits, I'm with you. That was the line that made me crazy!! I think that man just does not know what to say anymore. He knows he can't tell the people the truth so maybe he's just a really bad lyer(sp) and so he comes out with these crazy powdered milk and tuna under the bed statements. His children are going to "find themselves in an atmosphere" ????? Where, on Mars?  "where food and water have been sorted and prepared for such an occasion" ????? Who talks like that? Oh, I know, he learned it from the WHO! WHO-ease. How many "occasions" out there like this are there? Is there an astroid headed for earth they forgot to tell us about?? I think he must really be a prepper b/c he is being ambiguos and evasive when confronted with the question "So Mike, how long are you preppin' for?" Ermm
He said he's probably taking his kids outta school for a couple of months and the pandemic is going to circle the globe 3 times for a year and a half and the Federal government will not be able to help it's citizens so his reccomendation is that people should have food and water for 2 weeks!! Wacko  This will not light a fire under anybody to prep. Thumbs Down
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:06pm
I am sure some very good communications folks in the white house have rehearsed his answer to that personal question until he could answer it (and yet not really answer it) in his sleep...wouldn't want too much panic after all or the appearance that the powerful might be going to do something the average Joe can't hope to pull off.
Prof.Ferguson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prof.Ferguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:42am
i really wanted to watch this special, and looked for it several times yesterday evening via channel-surfing and rechecking local listings.

as far as i can tell, NBC's bf movie did not air here at all! every time I flipped to nbc, i got their regular programming.

why would this happen, or did i just completely miss my timing? anybody else have louisiana cox cable and did you get to see the movie there?

thanks to everyone for your great summaries of the show i so hated to miss!
Time's up. It's here. If you're not ready, you should have been - we all were warned.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 5:01am
Dont worry Prof

If you missed the movie I am sure you will catch the live show
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:08am
I agree that he two week thing is completely absurd.  The math doesn't ad up. 

Just consider this:
1.  When John Kennedy and Princess Diana died, they were already dead for a while.  The media announced this in phases.  I saw a Walter Cronkite interview on 60 minutes after he retired and said that this often happens.

2.  I think the media is announcing this in phases as to not create mass hysteria.

3.  Do you remember when Oprah did that show on Mad Cow disease and said, "I am never eating a hamburger again."  .........did to cattle prices.   The cattle association took her to court.  She won.   However, look at just how she responded did.

4.  So yes, some of the figures were somewhat disappointing.  I thought their effort was the first step in a series of phases of information to get people to prepare without causing hysteria.    We need to encourage NBC to keep it coming and keep broadcasting this information. 
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:20am

Blue Sky-

Thanks for the posts. I was interested in your views because Washinton State was the star of the states.

I got a lot of phone calls after the show from non preppers who are now concerned.

Sadly, many believe it is the Governments reponsibility to "Do something", which was also an unstated premise in the show.

But some did wake up, and these are serious movers and shakers who can do substantial prepping on a large scale.Sec. Leavitt made a tremenedous impact. 

I got 4 separate apologies for good natured ridiculing earlier over the Bird Flu. This is nice, but note nothing has changed except we have been on TV. 

In America, if something is not on TV, it did not happen. This was an important step.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:00am
"I hope that my children will find themselves in an atmosphere where they have food and water that has been sorted and prepared for just such an occasion." [I assume "sorted" was supposed to read "stored."]

I think what he's saying, with this strange wording ("an atmosphere" instead of "a home"), is that he and his family will be in a bunker somewhere, with food, water, power, vaccines, supplies, and schooling - and he hopes we will be prepared too!

ATMOSPHERE indeed!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:26am
They presented this the way it should be presented, in itty bitty pieces for a public who would rather watch America's Funniest Videos than a documentary.  The public needs a series of phased news releases that slowly increases their level of concern about AF.  Too much too soon would cause most to dismiss it, or panic. 

Sad, but I think true, for the majority of the population.  Those in the know, and folks like us that seek out information, analyze and act on it, will always be better prepared than most.
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:31am
We won't be able to view the program for another two weeks.  Our "Cable Provider" (and, Boy, do I use THAT term lightly!) airs Stateside programs with a 14 day time delay.  Part of the price of living in "Paradise".   Your reviews are very intriguing, I can't wait to see the show.  Thanks for all the posts.  If the Dateline piece is as good as it sounds we should see a jump in the membership of this forum.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 8:27am
If you go to this link,

This is where all of NBC's webcasts are, if you scroll down, there are some stories that you can see.  It's not the dateline story, but it is some info.

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 8:51am
Samoa-

No satellite TV in paradise?
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:18am
Greetings All! Weighing in on the NBC Dateline broadcast. Sounded almost as odd as Dr.Gerberding at the Washington State Summit. 2 weeks prep ain't gonna cut it! I was actually offended that the presentation (assuming previous analysis that the public needs gradually incremental releases to avoid panic) is being "spoon fed" to us joe public. Just give me the facts, mam. I'll make the decision. If I hadn't been prepping already, this broadcast would not have motivated me to stock up. Here's a thought - Leavitt is a Bush man. So what does the Administration really want to convey to us without coming right out with it? I'll put my money on Leavitt over Gerberding any day and I'm on my way out the door to buy another bag of rice.
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:35am

Evergreen wrote, "I'm on my way out the door to buy another bag of rice." I just got back from the store; I bought a big bag of rice myself; and I just placed another order to Emergency Essentials.

I am like you; I just want the cold hard facts, no time to play games. I think people are just in "denial". Many people can not accept the fact that a pandemic could occur that could kill so many people and cause havoc in our society. Carl Jung once said, "people cannot stand too much reality". Reality can be a painful thing sometimes!

Edited by Proudest Monkey - April 24 2006 at 11:37am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 10:59am
I agree. Part of the problem is that this whole situation is so unbelievable, that people seem to well not believe it. I asked my husband to watch with me,( he thinks I'm crazy about this bird flu stuff) He sat for the whole hour and didn't say a word . I think he was shocked. It's hard for people to process this type of info.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:32am
Please, everybody: E-mail to dateline@nbc.com with your comments. Let's encourage them to update, correct their mistakes , congratulate them for a decent first effort.
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:39am
Denial is a modern-day version of the "Flight Reflex" that is triggered when a person is faced with an overwhelming obstacle.  Back inna day, we'd run from a Lion or a Mammoth.  Today, our minds flee emotionally and intellectually from something we perceive to have no control over.  Oh, woe is us!!
Femvet - I've e-mailed NBC, and I have't even seen the show yet. 
colby View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:41am
What we all seem to be saying is unfortunately all too true on all too many fronts.  For those who read "The Hot Zone" you will remember the rather stunning final chapter to the book.  For those who did not, let me take great liberty while I summarize.  The book described a near disaster ebola outbreak on U.S. soil.  Until the end of the book it was a fun bio-hazard Clancy styled novel.  However, in the conclusion the author described ebola as one of countless diseases hiding in damp and dark remote places left in nature.  Such diseases are the like the white blood cells, the immune system, for the large single biologic organism known as earth.  He described man as the disease, and the more we encroach, abuse, take w/out replenishment from within this large organism, the more the earth's immune system will fight back against the disease.  
Now, this is NOT anti-technology rhetoric- far from it.  But we need to wake up.  We, as a human race, are not going to save the planet.  The planet will be here as long after us as it existed before we showed up.  Our fight is to convince the landlord to renew the lease.  We can build a dam- but it will crumble in a 400 mph tidal wave.  We can seed clouds- build monolithic sea walls- that a Katrina will roll over like a toy under a hummer's wheel. 
People are in denial because that is what they see their world leaders doing.  The U.S. mindset tends to deny those things we cannot impact.  If we can't write a check to make it go away- we don't want to face it, face the complexity, face the unknown, face the facts we may have to accept.  For all our remarkable accomplishments- we tend to look at success and failure in narrow and absolute terms.  Sorry for going on so long here- but how we as a society learn from Katrina, Loma Prieta EQ, The Rodney King riots- to become a stronger cohesive society in the face of a pandemic will be the ultimate key to the survival of millions if this bug breaks loose.  Frankly, I don't see anyone, least of all the narrow-minded, pea-brained, egomaniacs in the halls of Washington doing anything about these- most essential- issues of preparedness. 
Think about this quandry- let's assume a vaccine is created, available to anyone and everyone.  Should the pandemic take place, it will go coast to coast in 90 to 120 days.  Who is going to fight the mass hysteria and risk exposure to stand in the lines to get it?  These are the details of reality.  People will be infectious 24 to 48 hours PRIOR to becoming symptomatic.  This is problem requiring a civil cooperative society.  Now I ask- have we even begun to prepare?

Edited by colby - April 24 2006 at 11:57am
Thank You,
Colby
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:39pm

As a hypnotist,

I am tought to watch what people do rather than what people say, elicit state over CONTENT. 

93% of all communication is NONVERBAL. 

I will say this, in Sec. Leavitt's interview, he was the most congruent of all, meaning his body language matched what he was saying.   Everyone else blinked several several times which indicates to me TERRIFIED.....but they had messages of calmness and realiism and came off to me as horiffically incongruent.

Leavitt has been the most consistent in his delivery.  He also has been the most congruent in his delivery.  His eyes, and the set in his jaw line suggest to me.......EXTREME FEAR......... yet, a compassion for Americans in trying to elicict calm intelligence interms of planning.  

To me the muscles in his jawline say it all.  The other people simply were puppets that believed one thing, yet saying another.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:44pm
I noticed the same underlying dissonance some of the speakers on this piece as well as at many in the public forums I have attended.  Sound, reasonable professionals trying to be sure they sounded rationale and professional while being personally very, very worried. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 1:00pm
Their body language spookes me out the most!!!   Leavitt's lack of blinking looked like a deer caught in the headlights!
fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 2:46pm
RJay, you are so.. right! I forgot he has a first class family ticket to the Federal Ark (loaded with atmosphere!) located somewhere far beneath the earth with probably a 5 yr supply of everything imaginable! I was just so stunned by the 2 week remark. My minimally prepping friends who I talked to afterward found that so confusing in light of what was reported earlier in the show. So if people are left confused, they do not react. They wait for more information and clarification. I really do understand the need for baby steps in informing the oblivious, denial hugging public about the fact that we are about to encounter an end of the world as they know it event. I just hope they have the luxury of time that it may take to get the point accross!! We here all know how long it takes to really prep to a signifigant level and once everyone on earth is doing it, it won't be possible for it to be done. I'm sure this is a factor in the gov plan as well. Maybe it's like 5% catch on at a time each phase they bump up the dose of reality so that everyone isn't at the same stage of preparedness (like not at all) at the same time. I thought that NBC did a good job of giving information although they did make it appear that people would have oodles of time to go to the store and pick up milk, bread and yodels whatever, while the pandemic is meandering across the globe. It was shown in what, weeks? It will be more like hours! That is the fact that keeps me up til all hours of the night!! Shocked
Bluesky & Jaxmax ditto to your posts too!! Clap
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
PsychoElf View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PsychoElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:38pm
I think (but won't swear to it) that Leavitt is LDS and so his having preps and the "atmosphere" come as no huge surprise to me.  Well, good for him. IMO, this program was good enough (no real surprises for those of us here! Big smile) but that "prep for 2 weeks" was ludicrous. After stating the length of time that the crisis would last (a year +) and then saying to store supplies for 2 weeks...! Angry Well, that had to be confusing, to say the least, to people who were "on the bubble" about starting to prep.

Let me ask you this - Do you think that the upcoming made-for-TV movie will resonate with more people than this news magazine format? I ask because our society is so celebrity/media driven. I have a sick feeling that many people who wouldn't even bother to tune in to Dateline would just be willing to watch a made-for-TV movie, and, maybe that would encourage them to think about what "might" happen. Well, whatever works, I guess. I just have this strange thought in my head that if the media could get some young, hot performers making commercials stating that they're asking their parents, etc. to prep, we wouldn't have so many eye-rolling teenagers. "Gee Mom, I guess if Britany Spears says her parents are prepping, it looks like you weren't so crazy after all." Tongue

Just thinking out loud.

Elf
Celira View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:00pm
Although I thought the NBC Dateline special was a noble undertaking, it didn't come as much of a surprise to me that none of my co-workers seemed interested in discussing the show. And frankly, I doubt if hardly anyone I work with even tuned in. I did tape the show to share with anyone who does want to open their eyes to the possibility of what may happen to us in the very near future. But I have hope that the upcoming TV movie will have more of an impact. From the preview commercials, it sounds like it could pack quite a punch. And I think that is just what the general public needs. We need to wake up and smell the coffee (without the sugar). And I've also thought like Elf (sorry but I don't consider you a Psycho) that it will help tremendously when (I won't say if, but when...) respected media including high profile journalists and celebrities-finally get on the bandwagon and lend their voices to encourage people to prep. It's true unfortunately that many will listen more closely to their favorite "star" than to the scientists and government officials. 
I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for man to depend simply upon himself.
Lone Man (Isna la-wica)(late 19th century) Teton Sioux
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic