Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Alaska News

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska News
    Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:16pm
Possibility discussed of Alaska’s exposure to avian flu
Thursday, April 13, 2006 - by Sean Doogan
Anchorage, Alaska - The annual migration of millions of birds from Asia is coming, and with them, a potentially deadly strain of avian flu. Today in Anchorage, federal and state health officials began preparing for an Alaskan appearance of the H5N1 strain of avian flu.

Alaska is on the frontlines of the avian flu watch for North America. Today, rural Alaska residents and state officials began working with federal health experts to get ready for what could be the unwelcome visitor.

Federal and state health officials gathered in Anchorage today to prepare for millions of annual visitors to Alaska. But the visitors could bring with them a deadly disease: the H5N1 strain of bird flu.

“Our game plan in 2006 is to test 75,000 to 100,000 wildfowl here in the United States with efforts very much concentrated here in Alaska,” said U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Deputy Secretary Alex Azar.

Some rural residents say they should also participate in spring bird tests, which are slated for more than 10 locations throughout the state.
Some rural residents say they should also participate in spring bird tests, which are slated for more than 10 locations throughout the state.
“We don't have enough hospital capacity in this state and particularly in the village areas if we were to have a pandemic,” said Karleen Jackson (left), the commissioner of the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services.

They’re taking heed of what happened here during an outbreak of Spanish flu, another avian disease, which took place almost 90 years ago.

“Part of what happened in 1918 is that there was nobody left in the villages to take care of the people that were sick. And so, we need people who can keep airplanes flying, can keep heating oil coming into villages,” Jackson said.

Since the H5N1 strain does not easily transfer from birds to people. Only 193 people have so far been infected with the disease and it’s estimated to be carried by millions of birds worldwide.

For now the message is simple, especially for rural Alaska residents. “Be very careful around wildfowl. Take proper precautions when you’re hunting, when you’re cleaning them,” said Azar (right).
Health officials say Alaska, on the frontlines of the North American battlefront over bird flu, could likely provide the answer.
The State of Alaska has created a comprehensive Web site about avian flu, including information on what you should do if you come across a dead or sick bird.

I tried copying and pasting addition info,but the lettering came out black. Click on the above link for the rest of the story.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:41pm
Great post.  Alaska is our beta test for the rest of the union!  Thank you
chargingbear View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargingbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by wenmalon wenmalon wrote:

Great post.  Alaska is our beta test for the rest of the union!  Thank you

more like As alaska Goes So goes the nation.
reminds me of the last stand at the alamo ..

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 2:33pm
I anticipate that Alaska and the Canadian migration routes will be my 'tripwire' with the first bird report. We'll go into restricted movement mode. The FIRST US H2H I hear about will put us into minimum movement mode. Once it hits the west coast or our northern border, it's lockdown mode!

We also need to monitor the southern border in that there have been infiltrating illegals from areas known to have the H5N1.

I'll be counting on AlaskaAquarian and others in the above regions to sound the clairon!
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
AlaskaAquarian View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 2:49pm
I'll be watching out for local reports and news about BF up here. I'll keep you all updated. :) 
fiddlerdave2 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddlerdave2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 4:44pm
Cmon, 2IF!   Infiltrating illegals??????!!  There are 1000's of commercial flights between all parts of Mexico, South America, and the USA!   Don't you think these will quickly transport conatagious people if H2H is in Mexico just as quickly (or faster) than illegals?  On the weekend just in San Diego, 10,000 (probably way more) US students, military forces, etc. go across the border to eat, drink, get intimate for love or money, and dance in jammed dance floors and stagger home.   10,000 more commute by car and bus (jammed full breathing on each other) (US citizens who work  in San Diego and drive home to Mexico). Having a visa doesn't make you immune. 

As far as disease goes, every border town should just be considered one unit.  I guarantee you there will be no Customs stopping people because they have a fever.
Dave
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:22pm
fiddlerdave2,

I would be inclined to believe that someone that can afford a plane ticket to the US of A probably wouldn't french-kiss an H5N1 chicken.  LOL 

Seriously, my orginal comment was referring to migratory birds with an after thought about our sourthern exposure.
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
fiddlerdave2 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddlerdave2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:52pm
I would gladly bet that the H5N1 chickens will come rolling in on a big truck from some subcontractor to one of our big chicken corporations, getting the cheap labor, feed, and land  costs south of the border, plus the lack of those oh so nasty regulations they have here in the states.  They, of course, will blame it on everyone else.

I just wanted to point out that on the southern borders, there is zero isolation from anything that might be spreading in Mexico just from ENORMOUS daily traffic of people going to work or play. Many people in LA here have homes farther in the interior they often go to for a few days.

I haven't seen a Canadian border town in a long time, but when I did, it was way quieter.
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic