Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Side Effects of Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side Effects of Disaster
    Posted: April 24 2006 at 12:22pm
Some good thoughts on the unexpected "side effects" a widespread disaster causes.  Many psychological and sociological after-effects of a crisis that we did not hear about through main stream media in the wake of the Katrina debacle.

Worth a good read, especially regarding neighbors and "rescuers".

fritz View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 1:24pm
Thanks bruss, I printed it out to give to friends with kids at home. Good to hear from you. take care, fritz :>}
"I am only one; but still I am one, I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -- Hellen Keller
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 1:32pm
xx
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:24pm
Outstanding information. Most of that I had heard from different sources. It's nice to have it in one document.

That should be required reading for everybody. And I do mean EVERYBODY!

Thanks for the link! Clap
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 6:25pm

Ok, now I'm officially convinced that I will have to stash a lot of my preps!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 7:48pm

Informative post.  Thank you.

Brad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 8:49pm
I just read that same article  half an hour before stopping by here.  It's one of those "who knows how much of this is true" things, but I'm inclined to believe that pretty much everything described actually happened to someone after Katrina.

It certainly doesn't paint a very rosy picture, even for those who made adequate disaster preparations.  In some cases, "especially" for those who made the preparations.

Good stuff to consider, and worth reading.  Thanks for linking it.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:31am
Bruss that was amazing.  Thanks for posting it and thank your friend.  Its an insight into hurricane panic that we Brits don't have.  I don't know if it would be the same here.  I suspect law and order migh take a little longer to break down here, we don't have a gun culture.  But its worth bearing in mind.  Beth
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 6:15am
Thank you for posting.

Additional thoughts on evacuating through the mindless panicked herd running over the cliff:

1. Store a vehicle across a chokepoint (River, merging Interstates, Mountain Pass). Know the chokepoints ahead of time from your home.Look at them with binoculars before committing to the route.

2. Use motorcycles, boats or bicycles to get to offsite vehicle, bypassing car traffic.

3. Do not overlook rivers,dried river beds, power line easements,closed roads, sidewalks, parks and other non road escape routes until you pass choke points.Walk your route ahead of time.

4. Proper spacing between convoy vehicles to prevent ambush but permit reinforcing attacked vehicles.Front passenger should be readily armed and have binoculars, particularly scan Interstate Overpasses, curves, and cables across the road.Preplan- no stopping at non official roadblocks or stalled vehicles.

5. Disable vehicles when not in use.

6. Gas is Gold. Pre store gas along evac route, pay the trusted person half the gas to store.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 7:01am
Wow.  I hadn't though fo all this...Thanks for the post....I have a lot more to do now.

Im printing it out and giving this to my family.
Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 11:10am
Great post bruss01,i found it very helpful Thumbs Up
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 12:35pm
THANKS BRUSS. WHERE YOU BEEN?
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:08pm

That looks like a really good article with lots of good information. 
janetn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janetn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:52pm
Good article, Wink
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 8:17pm

Our Church housed about 275 dislocated people. They had multiple animals stuffed in single cages, no change of clothes, kids were crying, teenagers were board and they all were hungry. Those folks needed help now. One phone call set off a chain reaction of volunteers. Church members donated everything the first night for our guests: clothes, bedding, mattresses, food, toiletries, etc. The Red Cross arrived about thirty hours later with supplies. This past Sunday we learned during service the Red Cross had fully reimbursed us. We were tired after the thirty days, but we were blessed in helping others in need.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 6:23am
Everyone should read this....I know it long but...Things you need to know...

Very important...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic