Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Gov. recommends shopping for BF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gov. recommends shopping for BF
    Posted: April 25 2006 at 6:39am
    Government Recommends Shopping For Bird Flu
LAST UPDATE: 4/25/2006 8:03:23 AM

The U.S. government says we all should be well prepared personally in the event of a bird flu outbreak among humans. In fact, it says to have at least a two week stockpile in our homes of food and water.

But what does that mean?

First off, there’s no sign at all that it’s here... yet.

And there’s a question of whether the bird flu will ever truly mutate into a virus that goes from person to person.

Still, the government says buy a whole lot of tuna and other non-perishables to hold your family for a while.

Sarah Yakubov, who has four kids, says, “The government says a lot of things. I don’t have space for all that food.”

So, maybe not all of us are gung-ho about the idea, but we still wondered, what does it mean to store at least a two week supply for a family of four?

To make sure we got the right stuff, we asked registered dietician Amy Fleishman of Mt. Sinai Medical Center to take us shopping at B.J.’s.

First into the cart: dried fruit.

“Good source of calories not really a good source of protein, but something to have on hand if you want to stockpile something for a disaster,” says Amy.

We also bought beef jerky! “This lasts a long time and it’s high in protein this would be a good thing to store,” Amy states.

Amy says given that protein and carbohydrates have the same number of calories per gram—four—the focus is more on the protein, because she points out, “The protein is important for the muscles. It can be canned tuna canned chicken canned salmon canned protein is a good source it’s compact and moderately priced.”

“These canned beans can be a good source as well. It’s fairly cheap,” she adds.

Soup was a big choice. “Maybe we’ll get some vegetables in there.”

And surprisingly, so was high grain pasta! ““If you have one serving or less you’re going to get 200 calories and ten grams of protein.”

And at 5.59 per huge container with 32 servings, “It’s a good bang for your buck.”

Add the screw top sauce and we were all set.

We also got two big cans of peanuts, two big boxes of crackers, oatmeal for breakfast, canned fruit, some apple juice and sports drinks in large plastic containers, tang powder to add to the water, so the kids get more nutrients and don’t get bored with plain old h2o.

But the most important thing of all—water-is actually the biggest problem. We only put one box on the line because of size and weight; for a family of four, you need ten!”

Overall you need a gallon of water per person per day: two quarts per person per day for foot preparation and cleanliness, another two for drinking.

Other pointers:
Don’t forget the plastic and paper utensils and plates and the can opener.
Avoid caffeinated beverages--they dehydrate.
And, avoid salty food as much as possible; it makes you thirstier.

When all was said and done, the total: $287.70. Not a lot for two weeks, but that’s two weeks of food that might never get eaten.

Zulay Urbistonvo who was shopping that day, remarked, “I feel sorry for people who don’t have the money.”

http://www.birdflubreakingnews.com/templates/birdflu/window.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc4.com%2Flocal_news%2Fabc4_health%2Fstory.aspx%3Fcontent_id%3D22CE3DB8-E4CB-4A29-AAE5-B606D3CC1840
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:02am
Family of Four = Two Weeks = $287.70 of food preps.   Good Job!
nettie4263 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nettie4263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:09am
Why is it "food that might never get eaten"...just eat it!  Duh.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:53am
 I wasnt so smart...My bill was alot more...I think I have better food in my preps that my regular food...Oatmeal (Flavored) Potato pancakes, Pancake mix, cereal, pop tarts, Thats just for breakfast.....foods.

I'm am having trouble with the canned meats...It more then I am willing to pay...Im talking chopped meats. pork stuff like that...I canned meats have a very high shipping cost...

How far can and 8ozs of canned chicken go with a family of four......Not far and I only have 20 cans and 8 cans of turkey...Im in big trouble  7 can small daks ham...Yep big trouble

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 8:12am
The solution is to learn to can meats yourself. Easy for me to say, I haven't done it yet either, but am definitely planning on it. Well, at least I bought the book on canningConfused
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 9:12am
"Sarah Yakubov, who has four kids, says, 'The government says a lot of things. I don’t have space for all that food.'”

This is why it will be hard for the government to increase its recommendation for storing food.  Two weeks is a stretch for a lot of people, apparently.  Many people live week to week and can't afford more.  If the government came out and said each family should have three months of food, what do you think would happen?  Panic, anger, possibly an increase in theft.  Not good.
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 9:47am

If ones budget is limited and you want to prepare for your kids then you buy cheaper preps.  We all know we can survive on less money.  Boring meals but they are meals.

Femvet and Happycamper, I learned to can because i could not find pork (other than ham) and just small cans of beef.  It is not much cheaper to start canning at home tho, the savings come in on the following years.  The supplies are not cheap.  For one quart of canned meat i pay about $5 when one counts the jars, lids and energy used.  The biggest thing for me is in the selection and the quantity of each jar.

If you don't can then use each can of storebought meat in a dish with a starch, gravy over potaotes, noodle casserole, rice casserole, sandwich the ham is great and can be used in beans as well as casseroles or eaten as a meat serving.

The cost of the food above would deter me too, but it can be done for a lot less....jerky is very expensive for the amount of protein.
Ironstone
bjregg View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 10:52am
Excellent advice, Ironstone.  Honestly, beef jerky tends to be very salty and I doubt that one would want to increase the freguency with which your 4 year old says, "I need something to drink".
AlaskaAquarian View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaAquarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:21am
We went prep shopping last night. $312 for regular daily groceries and our "extra" items for preparation. The guy at the counter just looked at me funny. I just smiled sweetly.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:21pm
AlaskaAquarian-

Go to Sams. You could buy a truckload and no one would notice or care.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic