Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Where’s Your Hand Drill?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where’s Your Hand Drill?
    Posted: April 25 2006 at 1:59pm
Most of us probably have hand saws, hammers, etc. But do you have a hand drill? My topic on adhesives/fasteners and my fondness for rivets prompted this post.

If things get bad we won't be able to run out to HD or Walmart to replace a broken item necessary for our survival and/or comfort. Therefore we need to  plan on becoming Mr/Mrs/Ms Fix-It.

There are two basic types of hand drills: brace and bit for wood and hand drill for metals/plastics.

The B&B is usally a larger drill with a pad or 'cup' on the butt end. This allows one to place their shoulder onto the butt for pressure needed to penetrate and bore with larger wood bits. For each rotation of the handle you get one revolution on the bit.

The smaller hand drill has a gear that will provide higher RPMs necessary to drill metal/plastics. Buying a quality drill will make life much easier than the cheaper ones which have sloppy tolerances and will slip in a short time. A slipping drill is an endless source of frustration. When shopping for a hand drill, ensure that there is no slop or wobbling when turning the gear handle. There should be slight tension and smooth rotation while drilling regardless of how fast  you crank.

Note that for smaller wood holes you use the hand drill instead the B&B.

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 2:34pm
I have in the last year gone to car boot sales and second hand shops to look for such items and to my amazement i have collected carpentry tools some over 50 years old for very little money and i must say they are very well made not only have they lasted someone else a lifetime they will also last me mine ,when the power goes out these are a perfect solution good post 2ifbyc.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Ravendawn Ravendawn wrote:

i must say they are very well made not only have they lasted someone else a lifetime they will also last me mine.

I was remiss in not stating that in the case of hand tools and especially hand drills, older IS better. The metal and craftsmanship of the oldies would be hard to match by the newer tools.

I found mine at local garage sales. With the older demographics here (Fla), it's easy to find those ol' reliables.

Edited by 2ifbyC - April 25 2006 at 3:05pm

oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:13pm
Great post! I know nearly nothing about tools and fear my husband would have trouble imagining life without the cordless power tools for jobs he doesn't want to do.

I just ordered a Fiskars hand drukk that looks simple and was inexpensive. The reviews on amazon.com sounded as though it works well.

I never would have thought of this. Thanks!
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by oknut oknut wrote:

I know nearly nothing about tools and fear my husband would have trouble imagining life without the cordless power tools for jobs he doesn't want to do. 

I know I'll miss my cordless guys toys after I run out of generator gas for batt charging!

Try to find a couple of older woodworking and/or carpentry books at thrift shops, garage sales or on-line. Again, older is better! Most of the newer books only provide very basic instructions for the ol' hand tools. Whereas the older books can really get into details and have some great care and usage tips.

Edited by 2ifbyC - April 25 2006 at 4:28pm

oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:50pm
Thanks 2ifbyC. I did see many of the older ones on ebay but was afraid I'd buy something that couldn't be used or I wouldn't be able to find bits for.

Think I mentioned that I know nearly nothing about tools.      I'll look to pick up something he might like better (an older one) and put the toy one in my little tool box.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 9:38pm
Has anyone thought of getting plywood to screw up over your windows to protect against looters?  We're going to bring enough in to put up over our most vulnerable windows & patio doors.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Annere Annere wrote:

Has anyone thought of getting plywood to

This could be a topic on it's own for there are many possibilities.

Being in 'cane country we are constantly weighing the pros and cons of plywood window shields. For a temporary solution 3/4" plywood is minimal, with one inch preferred.

Remember that during a pandemic you will be boarded up for an extended period. Can you and your family handle a cave-like existance? Would you be able to easily egress during a fire? What about opening the house to let it breathe? In the  case of hurricanes, it's over within a day or two. Not so with a  pandemic.

For a pandemic we decided that we would risk the vulnerability for visability and sunshine. Awareness and security preps (discussed elsewhere on this site) is what we'll rely upon.

YMMV

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:17am
xx    
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 10:16am
Don't forget to poke around in the  pawn shops. You can also find good deals on smaller electronics, fishing gear, etc. Don't be afraid to haggle!

Another note: If you find older tools that are rusty, grab 'em for pennies and clean 'em up. Those ol' timers are made of good metal and clean up nice (kinda like yours truly! LOL).

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:13pm
  i have plywood for my window , we use them during hurricans season. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by 2ifbyC 2ifbyC wrote:

Originally posted by Annere Annere wrote:

Has anyone thought of getting plywood to

This could be a topic on it's own for there are many possibilities.

Being in 'cane country we are constantly weighing the pros and cons of plywood window shields. For a temporary solution 3/4" plywood is minimal, with one inch preferred.

Remember that during a pandemic you will be boarded up for an extended period. Can you and your family handle a cave-like exixtance? Would you be able to easily egress during a fire? What about opening the house to let it breathe? In the  case of hurricanes, it's over within a day or two. Not so with a  pandemic.

For a pandemic we decided that we would risk the vulnerability for visability and sunshine. Awareness and security preps (discussed elsewhere on this site) is what we'll rely upon.

YMMV

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:49pm
We're not going to board up all the windows, just those with easy access from ground level.  The upper windows would require a ladder for anyone to gain access.  Our house is not large, but still requires a lot of plywood.
Brad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2006 at 9:44pm
"Where's your hand drill?"

Good question.  I picked one up at a garage sale a couple years ago, put it away somewhere, and haven't seen it since.

If you find it, please send it home.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Brad Brad wrote:

..If you find it, please send it home.

Does it have worn dark red handles, a chip missing on the gear handle, a deep scratch on the large handle, a little rust on the collet and slightly worn gear teeth?

Nopper, haven't seen it!

Have you checked the odd sock Bermuda Triangle?  Wink

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:47am
Conceerning the plywood to cover windows why not get some hinges too? As someone mentioned about living in a cave situation these then could be opened a times of calm. Its not that hard to make hidden hinges and a latch that works from the inside only. Any good hardware store can explain how to do it.

I'm going to more extreme methods and using 1/8 inch steel treadplate with small openings to use as gunports if necessary. Of course I think I am overly extreme.

On the inside of the house I am using 3/4 rigid foam insulation for 2 purposes-to keep out heat or cold and to cover the windows so nieghbors cannot see we have electricity.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic