Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Barter supplies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barter supplies
    Posted: January 19 2006 at 2:59am

What types of preps are you getting to barter with..thats if you dare to venture out..

I picked up another 8 tubes of toothpaste yesterday..now I have enough for a year..so I was thinking about getting about another 8-10 tubes as a barter item..I also have candy stored that might be good and of course flour and rice would be good also

What I a wondering is there anyone else thinking along this lines...

oh and I have lots of hooks and fishing line..

Marjo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:17am
Hi Muskrat,

wouldn't it be better to spend your money on something you could use yourself instead of buying items with the intention to barter?

That way you are more self reliant and nobody would be the wiser of the fact that you have a stash of food and other goodies....
Going out to barter might attract unwanted attention to you and your family.

And what would you trade your toothpaste for?
Food? Water? Better to buy that now yourself, in case of an pandemic prices only go up, never down!

Marjo

(Who is sure she is forgetting something for her stash... but what????
Will probably come to me when it is too late..... )
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:31am
I had a one time a list of the first 100 things to sell fast in emergency..I should have kept the list..so if anyone has it would be appreciated..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 4:33am

I think the thing I would be trading for most and being very crefull when I do it..would be firewood....althou I have some wood..I will not be able to store enough to cook and since I have plenty prepped I would trade meals and such for someone to brave collecting me some...

I am working on this, but I am still wondering this year or next year..

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 10:33am
Toilet paper.

Kleenex.

Babywipes.

Hand sanitizer.

Matches.

Rolling tobacco.

Coffee.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 10:36am
Don't forget the old vices such as alcohol and cigarettes.
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:01am
Or modern essentials like baby formula and disposable diapers.
Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:27am
I have those individual size alcohol bottles, cigarettes, chocolate, shotgun ammo., and of course personal hygiene supplies. I'm trying to think of other items so this is a good thread to have!
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 11:46am
I'm thinking of purchasing a bunch of TP, then removing the inner cardboard roll, then flattening them and sticking each roll into a ziplock freezer bag -- this really reduces the amount of space needed for TP storage, (and incidentally, was how the troops in Iraq specified as the best way to ship TP to them.)

However, I'm unsure whether these rolls will actually ROLL on the toilet paper holder after they've had their innards removed.
pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 12:19pm

muskrat,

imo, the best trade goods you can get are food, food and more food.

with the exception of water, that will be the first thing that gets hard to get for the unprepped,

plus you can always eat it yourself if needed.

the other most useful trade goods (imo) are tobacco and booze

omega,

good tip.

and to be honest, who will care if it goes on the loo holder, lol

its better than large leaves

i read somewhere the first two things that people panic buy are sugar and tp

all the animals in the wood teach their children to survive from nature with one exception,
man
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by pioneer pioneer wrote:

muskrat,

imo, the best trade goods you can get are food, food and more food.

with the exception of water, that will be the first thing that gets hard to get for the unprepped,

plus you can always eat it yourself if needed.

the other most useful trade goods (imo) are tobacco and booze

omega,

good tip.

and to be honest, who will care if it goes on the loo holder, lol

i read somewhere the first two things that people panic buy are sugar and tp

I don't plan to NEED to barter; however, if I receive help from someone during a disaster, I'd like to give them something decent and that they can use --- but although it will be easier to store TP in the manner described above, I don't want so many done that way that they never get used up by the family because they can't go on the TP holder.

Almost ALL reports I've read about modern disasters in the west was that people most wanted toilet paper and a pair of clean fresh new underwear.

Frankly, I'm not certain I'd want to barter with anyone who was literally enthused, in the midst of an international pandemic about receiving liquor in a trade.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:21pm

My guesses would be:

Fats, meats, spices, candles(batteries or forms of light), OTC meds and anti-biotics.

Ironstone
pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:54pm

omega,

with all due respect,

if thats all the tp they have, will they care?

yes i agree about the literally enthused bit with booze.

but it would be a valuble trade item if trading away from home turf.

imo, a lighter, box of matches, firesteel and or candles might be a good useful gift and if they have children chocolate

all the animals in the wood teach their children to survive from nature with one exception,
man
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:02pm
Pioneer...done -kevin
pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:04pm

thanks kevin.

man
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:14pm
Many of the posts I read on many of these forums, there is mention, again & again, repetitively, that many posters are running out of space.

Perhaps you still have a large amount of room to store preps. Many here apparently do not.

I was offerring a way to reduce the size of one bulky item, for storage purposes; however, like I mentioned -- I don't want a HUGE stash of TP that is not usable on toilet paper holders.

Your mileage may vary.

So be it.

pioneer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:50pm

omega,

i think you misunderstood my answer,

i said it was a good idea,

btw, i just  removed the inside and flattened one,

i know it was only only flattened for a few minutes but it goes on a holder and rolls ok. 

as i said good tip and one ill be using,

thank you

man
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 3:34pm
I'll have to try that, myself - I'm glad your experiment worked, it seems to me that it MIGHT (?) last quite a bit longer, individually squished into a small ziplock freezer bag, could be stored in the basement for long periods of time with no worry about mold.

See, the attic is NOT a good place for any paper items, the heat & dryness of most attics over the summer are perfect conditions for DRY ROT.

omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 3:38pm
p.s. I've also read online, but have never done it myself, that you can further decrease the size of TP by using one of those vacumn pak machines which removes all the air --- in fact this is really helpful if you ever send stuff like bedding & pillows to deployed troops, the final box is SUBSTANTIALLY smaller, LOL, according to what I've read.

I don't remember how much smaller the roll of TP got, but you can see that simply by removing the cardboard and squishing it flat that it already is substantially reduced in mass, and in this new shape is much easier to store with no dead space.
TERMS 1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERMS 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:11pm
One of the "basic elements"  is fire.  For 6 or 7 bucks you can buy 100 butane lighters at Sam's Club.  They have Bic for slightly more but hey who cares?  If you have no other form of fire other than 2 sticks a full disposable lighter will go a long way.  And its something most people don't think about and its CHEAP.
Credibility is like virginity, once it is gone- it is gone forever.
Amethyst View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amethyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 7:50pm

At the moment, I'm not getting preps to barter with.  But I would think things like OTC meds, herbal meds, and seeds for growing medicinal herbs would be worth something.  Heck, even seeds for regular veggies should come in handy.  Plus, seed packets are lightweight.

Although, granted...as a female, one thing that I would barter for if I had to is feminine hygeine supplies, like pads.  But I plan on stocking up on those, too.  But other people may not have them. 

And there are always the types of people who absolutely must have things like deoderant, shaving cream, hand lotion, and makeup that you can live without, even if the world is coming to a screeching halt.  They'd probably be willing to trade for stuff like that. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by pioneer pioneer wrote:

Amen.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Amethyst Amethyst wrote:

Although, granted...as a female, one thing that I would barter for if I had to is feminine hygeine supplies, like pads.  But I plan on stocking up on those, too.  But other people may not have them. 

Consider the "Diva Cup".  My daughter's not sure about it, but it's the backup if the feminine products run out.

ladymacbeth View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladymacbeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:25am

salt, yeast, flour (regular or self rising), coffee (especially instant, as we won't have coffee makers anymore, just the old fashioned coffee percs), alcohol, tobacco/cigs, aspirin, fem products, condoms/birth control, sugar, baking soda

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 7:35am

Anything you buy now will become a barter item if TSHTF. No way to know which of your neighbors/family/friends will need what at any given moment.

PREP ON!!!!

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 4:37pm

I can't afford to buy things to POSSIBLY barter, but my mom said a few days ago that if she was looking to buy barter items it would be $5.00 metal folding camping stoves and the chafing pot fuel (5 hours for $1.00) that fits in them.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to cook with the fuel today. It will boil water, but cannot keep 4 cups of water and 1 cup of dried food hot enough to cook into soup. I tried to make soup and to bake a biscuit in the top half of a double broiler, but it just didn't get quite hot enough.

I'll play a bit more to find out the exact capabilities of these sets. Maybe 2 cups of soup :-0 Maybe I need a specific type of pan :-0 I'm working on it :-)

Tried and tested cooking sets, even if it's just a set to make coffee with all the fixing...or a ramen noodle soup set. A complete set of thermos to keep it warm, food and stove and fuel and pan (if a special type is needed) would be a good barter I think.

JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:58pm
When a hurricane comes, Wal-mart's number one sales item is not food, water or ice.

It is beer.

I do not drink alcohol, but I can assure you that if you want to barter, beer, cigarettes, real chocolate, coffee,ice and ammunition are fine choices.

Barter can be dangerous. It is a short step from barter to robbery.

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
omega View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omega Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

When a hurricane comes, Wal-mart's number one sales item is not food, water or ice.

It is beer.

I do not drink alcohol, but I can assure you that if you want to barter, beer, cigarettes, real chocolate, coffee,ice and ammunition are fine choices.

Barter can be dangerous. It is a short step from barter to robbery.

I agree about the danger, it can also be dangerous because presumably at the time we're using the preps, we'll be under quarantines, and not supposed to leave our homes under any circumstances, for anything.

I'm not positive how a quarantine will play out in real life, but I seriously doubt, for instance, that neighborhood children will come knocking at the doors looking for handouts....

I just don't know about the whole barter thing, it seems like it's not only dangerous for encouraging crime, but also for potentially exposing oneself to the H2H H5N1 virus.....

It's vey confusing to figure out, not knowing how a quarantine will play out with such a lethal virus.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 1:26pm
I think by the time we are bartering the unprepared would of died off,  Brutal sorry,  but bartering will be done by other prepared families together .  But I would get alcohol and yes beer and cigs and meds and seeds  for trading . 
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:24pm
The desire for alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and coffee will FAR outweigh fear of a virus for MANY people.

It's amazing what people will do for these things!! A quarantine will NOT stop bartering, black market and theft :-0

Parents will let their children starve, to trade food stamp money for booze. A quarantine will be no different :-0 They will do whatever to feed their addictions. Trust me, I've lived in neighborhoods where this was the NORM ;-( Sad but true :-(

And as for the wealthier, more politically correct neighborhoods...when these spoiled people are hit with their comfort zones being invaded for the FIRST time...you will see some of the WORST from them :-( My parents were part of a wealthy minority when I was young. I've seen their potential too, when they feel threatened, and it's nastier than what I commonly saw in the welfare slums. Kind of like a quiet volcano just waiting to blow :-( And when it does....

People will be taking all sorts of risks. Trade will be rampant if H2H does hit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:17am
I couldn't agree with you more. Like in any crisis, we will see both the very best and the very worst humanity has to offer, magnified to the n-th degree. People like you hopefully will be able to teach enough people in enough time that we have a chance. I would have never in a million years thought about cooking in a thermos!
As far as bartering is concerned, nobody in our family smokes or does drugs (thank God!), my sister-in-law enjoys a glass now and then, but it's something they can easily do without. So those are not items I will be stocking. I have laid in a very small amount of coffee/tea/sweetener/creamer/cereal/  as a potential barter item. Everything else aside, storage is such a critical issue for me, I really can't think too much about trading.
phoenixrising View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:38am

[/QUOTE]  Consider the "Diva Cup".  My daughter's not sure about it, but it's the backup if the feminine products run out.[/QUOTE]

I have two divia cups http://www.divacup.com/ , and  a  disposible type that I currently use when I'm going in a public place with stalls & no way to rinse http://www.softcup.com/softcup_main.php .

Washable pads are an option for those who use pads.   I picked some of those up for my dd just in case she begins  her menses cycles  during the pandemic  http://www.pandorapads.com/.
maskman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:43pm
bic lighters are definately worth the extra $$

get things you know you will need/want yourself, and if you are blessed enough to have a surplus, it shouldn't be too hard to find a trade.  trading between local waves of a pandemic may be the best or only way to get whatever it is you might want to trade for.

i'd like to propose a list - 10 things you can never stockpile too much of.
it should be things you will need that would also be good to have a surplus of.  who wants to be looking at a case of liquor while starving, esp. if you don't drink?

so here, in no particular order, is my off-the-cuff top 10 list of things you could never have too much of:

food
water
medications
toilet paper
masks
gloves
feminine hygene products (if applicable; if not, more tp!)
wipes/paper towels
lighters/matches
batteries

anybody else want to try?

hope and pray for the best; prepare responsibly for the worst
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:00pm

In terms of absolute value, I think an N95mask or something superior, would have the greatest barter potential, followed by food & drugs. It's not an item I intend to barter, since I have no idea how long I'll need them, or how long I need to make my supply last. Everyday we learn a little more.

caesar View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caesar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:51pm

barter? are you kidding? this would mean contact with someone infected. i'm  thinking about the smallpox infected blankets that were given to the indians.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic